Boum may see shrink

Scottish Mag

Under-fire Newcastle United defender Jean-Alain Boumsong may see a shrink in a bid to rebuild his battered confidence.

Caretaker boss Glenn Roeder will consider using a sports psychologist to try to cut out the errors in Boumsong's game.

The French international defender returns to the Newcastle squad today for the trip to Charlton following a one-match suspension, earned by the latest of many high-profile blunders.

But Boumsong - who cost the Magpies a hefty £8.5 million - faces a huge task to regain the confidence of Newcastle fans and fellow players alike . . .

And the appointment of a "mind coach" to help in that task is a strong possibility.

"I am a modern day thinking coach or manager and I would not be against that at all," said Roeder.

"Psychology is very important these days, more so because every generation is not as strong as the old generation.

"I genuinely believe that, and that is why sports psychology has come into sport - not just football."

Roeder is also mindful that Boumsong has played on this season despite worries over the health of his son and his wife, who is pregnant.

But the caretaker boss added: "Jean would want the opportunity to show not only our supporters, but also the football public and his critics, that he can perform well consistently."

I might need to see a shrink if he continues to play for us.

110672[/snapback]

I made an emergency appointment with mine after the first half.... :)

20060326_16_53397773cl011_charlton_athl.jpg

110695[/snapback]

"How the fuck did I ever make it as a professional footballer?"

Actually, I reckon Boumsong might be part of a Quantum Leap body snatching. Only it's a dyspraxic agoraphobic woman that's playing in his body rather than that Sam bloke.

20060326_16_53397773cl011_charlton_athl.jpg

110695[/snapback]

"How the fuck did I ever make it as a professional footballer?"

Actually, I reckon Boumsong might be part of a Quantum Leap body snatching. Only it's a dyspraxic agoraphobic woman that's playing in his body rather than that Sam bloke.

110696[/snapback]

Thats some way to describe Bridget :)

Is the shrink going to teach him how to defend, head a football etc. like? FFS, more bollocks to cover the fact he's not good enough.

Difference between an old head coming in and saving a club from Division Two, to an old head coming in and taking a mid-table side into Europe.

110926[/snapback]

Same principle though, do you reckon we could prise Jaap Stam away from Milan? :)

Difference between an old head coming in and saving a club from Division Two, to an old head coming in and taking a mid-table side into Europe.

110926[/snapback]

What I had in mind was someone who has played at the highest level (International and/or Champions League) recently but has now passed their peak. They would still have to have the ability do play a role for us despite their best years being behind them.

I wasn't thinking some lower division cart-horse :)

As Alex says, the principal is the same.

110926[/snapback]

What I had in mind was someone who has played at the highest level (International and/or Champions League) recently but has now passed their peak. They would still have to have the ability do play a role for us despite their best years being behind them.

I wasn't thinking some lower division cart-horse :)

As Alex says, the principal is the same.

110931[/snapback]

Like Ronny Jonsen for example?