Oliver's at it again

Wullie

From today's Ronnie:

And while other media outlets have speculated that the likes of David Moyes, Sam Allardyce, Paul Jewell, Ottmar Hitzfeld and Steve Bruce are all in the frame, The Chronicle has never strayed from our understanding that Martin O'Neill is the man.

We reported on February 11 - the day that United travelled to Aston Villa - that Shepherd had approached O'Neill for the job and that all that needed to be done was for the loose ends to be tied up, and we believe that this is still the case.

I believe O'Neill is Plan A, and I hope Plan B includes names like Stuart Pearce, Mark Hughes and Roeder himself and not Moyes, Allardyce, Hitzfeld, Bruce, Steve McClaren, George Graham or David O'Leary.

He'd rather have Roeder, Hughes or Pearce than Hitzfeld or even Allardyce. Apparently, in his recent Mag interview, he said he "shudders" at the thought of a foreigner.

He should have his right to an opinion rescinded, never mind get paid for sharing it with us.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He'd rather have Roeder, Hughes or Pearce than Hitzfeld or even Allardyce. Apparently, in his recent Mag interview, he said he "shudders" at the thought of a foreigner.

He should have his right to an opinion rescinded, never mind get paid for sharing it with us.

112369[/snapback]

Everything he writes reads like that, and I'm not just talking about managers.

Can't believe he'd rather have Roeder than Allardyce either.

Oliver bases his opinions on who he thinks he'll get along better with rather than who will actually be the better manager. He probably sees O'Neill, Pearce etc. as the sort of bloke that will give interviews willy nilly, whilst Allardyce, Hitzfeld etc. would be less likely to talk to him - sounds about right to me actually. I just hope O'Neill turns up and takes an instant dislike to him.

On a more serious note, it's hard to name any English ones in recent times that have been successful.

112384[/snapback]

Last English managers to win the league and FA Cup?

Would I be right in saying Howard Wilkinson and Joe Royle? :lol:

bog standard shite from oliver but mark hughes might not be a bad shout, although god only knows why he'd want to leave blackburn for us if he took them up to europe.

Defo Wilkinson and Royle with Everton in 1995? Mind, we own Scotland, Ireland and Wales so people from there aren't strictly foreign :lol:

bog standard shite from oliver but mark hughes might not be a bad shout, although god only knows why he'd want to leave blackburn for us if he took them up to europe.

112390[/snapback]

Missed a trick when Blackburn got him like, probably too late now.

112390[/snapback]

112392[/snapback]

aye. you can't help but think blackburn got the better deal when we paid them compensation for souness and they got hughes

As much as we mock the Hitzfeld campaign, how he can put so many names infront of the man beggers believe. The N-O squad must have REALLY pissed him off with those e-mails.  :lol:

112399[/snapback]

Or his xenophobia stems from not getting a sunbed in his latest holidays...

As much as we mock the Hitzfeld campaign, how he can put so many names infront of the man beggers believe. The N-O squad must have REALLY pissed him off with those e-mails.  :lol:

112399[/snapback]

Or his xenophobia stems from not getting a sunbed in his latest holidays...

112401[/snapback]

From the look of him, I'm guessing he doesn't wander that far from the bar.

112390[/snapback]

112392[/snapback]

aye. you can't help but think blackburn got the better deal when we paid them compensation for souness and they got hughes

112393[/snapback]

I think Hughes is closer to the job than some people think. Close enough to think that if O'Neill doesn't come then Hughes will be approached. I also think that Freddie knows already he wouldn't be wasting his time.

112390[/snapback]

112392[/snapback]

112393[/snapback]

I think Hughes is closer to the job than some people think. Close enough to think that if O'Neill doesn't come then Hughes will be approached. I also think that Freddie knows already he wouldn't be wasting his time.

112409[/snapback]

Followed by another Welshman no doubt.

112390[/snapback]

112392[/snapback]

112393[/snapback]

112409[/snapback]

Followed by another Welshman no doubt.

112412[/snapback]

At least we both know that Hughes and O'Neill can spot talent.

Oliver is a xenophobic wanker of the highest order. It's quite embarrassing when you think that his comments on Souness' appointment were along the lines of "He's the best British manager around, Chelsea wanted him" - yeah, right. And now he does it again and tries to promote British no-marks ahead of proven international managers (O'Neill excluded).

As Alex said though, he's Shepherd's mouthpiece and thus represents Shepherd's views. I still think there is no chance of the useless fat man appointing a foreign manager. He'll go for the likes of Bruce and Curbishley before he even considers a foreigner, no matter what he says in the papers. And basically, that says it all - Shepherd hasn't got a clue and isn't fit to manage a multi-million pound football club.

I'd rather we tried someone like Martin Jol before we went for one of the useless British managers. It's frightening to look at how the media are wanking over Pearce, whose team are 12th in the league, when someone like Jol is on course to finish in a Champions League spot. If Jol was English, they would never stop talking about him.

Imagine Hughes coming here and being a success - next stop Old Trafford.

Hughes? No thankyou.

I still think it's gonna be Allardyce. Can't wait to say I told you so if he is appointed, so I can show my knowledge of all things football :razz::lol:B)