England - Striking Options

Chaser

With all the talk of which forwards will go to the WC thought id start a thread on it.

So, Sven is to take 4 forwards to Germany - who would you take?

Owen

Ashton

Bent

Crouch

No one could fill Rooneys role but a slightly different role putting Ashton in there for strength and power could prove a good alternative. Crouch is never a starter and Bent might play better up on his own with Gerrard and Lampard supporting him with someone like Carrick sitting deeper.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd still take Rooney.

Think England will have to play this world cup with Joe Cole in Rooney's role though.

130171[/snapback]

How about this:

-------------Robinson

Neville--Terry--Ferdinand--A.Cole

Beckham-Carrick-Lampard-J.Cole

-------------Gerrard

--------------Owen

allowing us to accomodated Gerrard & Lampard plus a holding midfielder. Remember Gerrard providing many a through ball for Owen to run onto in the past.

For what its worth I'd take Owen, Rooney, Defoe and Crouch. I like Ashton and Beattie but I think by fannying around in the friendlies so much Sven has left it too late to work them into the squad.

I'd still take Rooney.

Think England will have to play this world cup with Joe Cole in Rooney's role though.

130171[/snapback]

How about this:

-------------Robinson

Neville--Terry--Ferdinand--A.Cole

Beckham-Carrick-Lampard-J.Cole

-------------Gerrard

--------------Owen

allowing us to accomodated Gerrard & Lampard plus a holding midfielder. Remember Gerrard providing many a through ball for Owen to run onto in the past.

For what its worth I'd take Owen, Rooney, Defoe and Crouch. I like Ashton and Beattie but I think by fannying around in the friendlies so much Sven has left it too late to work them into the squad.

130175[/snapback]

I'd personally swap Gerrard and Cole over, but otherwise I think that's how we'll play.

Guest CrimsonFault
Chopra.

130181[/snapback]

That joke gets boring after it's been repeated a zillion times tbh.

Chopra.

130181[/snapback]

That joke gets boring after it's been repeated a zillion times tbh.

130182[/snapback]

Haven't seen it anywhere. Oh well. ;)

I'd omit Defoe because he simply hasn't deserved a call-up this season and isn't getting regular games for Spurs.

Call up Kevin Nolan to replace Jenas, who simply shouldn't be considered even as a backup to the squad.

I'd risk bringing Rooney along depending on the extent of the damage to his foot.

Bent is a given, he's had a good first season in the premiership and having seen him play a few times myself he's a better option and in better form than Defoe.

So:

Owen, Bent, Crouch, Beattie as backup (finding form with Everton).

funnily enough, i think we're more likely to do better in the world cup without rooney in the squad. not because we're losing our best player but because it will force sven to pick the right formation to best adapt to the players at our disposal.

it's a shame that it had to be roony to pick up the injury but at least now sven will surely go for a 4-5-1 with gerrard and lampard ahead of a holding player.

crouch/defoe/bent aren't good enough to merit a start so we should see the end of lampard & gerrard in the middle of a 4-4-2.

that formation would always come unstuck against the top teams with or without rooney but sven is so scared to drop any of his big guns that i reckon we would have gone with it if rooney was fit.

ashton looks one for the future but sven hasn't fancied him so far and we've run out of friendlies.

Guest Sima

I'd personally swap Gerrard and Cole over, but otherwise I think that's how we'll play.

130177[/snapback]

Gerrard on the left wing?

;):blush: :blush: :o :o :D

130177[/snapback]

130223[/snapback]

Yeah, I nearly cracked myself up laughing at that too...

130177[/snapback]

130223[/snapback]

130224[/snapback]

Well he plays there for Liverpool :(

130177[/snapback]

130223[/snapback]

130224[/snapback]

130232[/snapback]

I was being sarcastic, don't worry.

He plays right though, doesn't he?

130177[/snapback]

:blush: :blush: :o :o :D:(

130223[/snapback]

130224[/snapback]

130232[/snapback]

130233[/snapback]

Erm no, that's why I said left ;)

130177[/snapback]

:blush: :blush: :o :o :D:(

130223[/snapback]

130224[/snapback]

130232[/snapback]

130233[/snapback]

Erm no, that's why I said left ;)

130234[/snapback]

Erm, I was pretty sure he's been playing right-wing - Kewell on the left, Alonson and Sissoko in the centre, Gerrard on the right.

Guest Sima
Well he plays there for Liverpool  ;)

130232[/snapback]

Better tell the kitman to stop putting Kewell 7 on the back of his shirt then you clueless dolt.

Edited by Sima

Well he plays there for Liverpool  :blush:

130232[/snapback]

Better tell the kitman to stop putting Kewell 7 on the back of his shirt then you clueless dolt.

130237[/snapback]

Riiiiight ;)

Sven-Göran Eriksson says he may have finally found the answer to England's left-sided problem - and his name is Steven Gerrard.

England manager Sven-Göran Eriksson has admitted he will use Gerrard on the left of midfield in the forthcoming friendlies against Japan and Iceland next month

Nice attempt at an insult though. Quite original for you.