England Squad

Tooj

I am more dismayed at the inclusion of Hargreaves than any of the others. Ive never seen a decent game from him in an England shirt. He offers nothing different at all.

133537[/snapback]

Aye everytime i've seen him for England he just runs that's it

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am more dismayed at the inclusion of Hargreaves than any of the others. Ive never seen a decent game from him in an England shirt. He offers nothing different at all.

133537[/snapback]

agreed. jenas too. played 3 good months at spurs and now hes back to his typical form of running around, not tackling and passing the ball as soon as he can.

Feel sorry for SWP. That run and shot against us yesterday shows why he should be playing every week and should be an england regular by now. Id have him in a flash if we could get him for a decent price.

The striking options are fucking mental. Maybe Walcott will set the world alight, but it's not a gamble we can afford to take with Rooney and Owen doubtful.

Hargreaves has never done anything in an England shirt to warrant inclusion.

Sven said on talksport that he'd never seen Walcott play, rather Thord Gripp watched him playing reserve games.

The kid has only played a handful of championship games ffs.

It's quite blatantly obvious that that prick of a manager doesn't give a shit about how we do in the world cup now that we've sacked him. This is just fucking exasperating. :quotes:

Re-sign now you absolute idiot (edited to so as not to offend the ladies).

I think I'm the only person not too bothered by the squad.

Swap Hargreaves and Jenas for any other 2 players, and you're sorted.

133569[/snapback]

Like some strikers who aren't injured/unproven/useless, perhaps?

133569[/snapback]

Yep, you probably are.

133569[/snapback]

Like some strikers who aren't injured/unproven/useless, perhaps?

133573[/snapback]

Who though? I don't think anyone else particularly deserves to go. I personally don't think Bent looks like a striker suited to International football, and the thought of Fowler going is pretty laughable IMO.

We'll be playing most of the tournament with one up front, so it's the guy behind him who is most important. We've got Cole, Rooney, Lampard and Walcott who can all play that role if need be.

I know a lot people don't rate Hargreaves at all, but I think his selection his more or less down to the fact that he is the only genuine defensive midfielder in the squad capable to do the dirty work behind the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham et al. He is going to be this tournament's Nicky Butt for you.

I know a lot people don't rate Hargreaves at all, but I think his selection his more or less down to the fact that he is the only genuine defensive midfielder in the squad capable to do the dirty work behind the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham et al. He is going to be this tournament's Nicky Butt for you.

133578[/snapback]

Has Podolski been included in the Germany squad?

(Random I know but he's meant to be another teenage sensation...)

133578[/snapback]

Isn't that said about him every time England play?

133578[/snapback]

Isn't that said about him every time England play?

133581[/snapback]

Well, you'll know better than me. All I can say is that as an aside I don't know many genuine defensive midfielders who could have been picked ahead of him (baring in mind that Parker and Smith are injured). So his inclusion instead of out of form players like SWP does make sense to me.

Edited by Isegrim

Just seen the squad, so apologies for not reading the whole thread, but fucking hell!

After a million and one friendlies he suddenly decides untried Lennon, Walcott and Reo-Coker are the answer?

And includes 'game-changers' Hargreaves and Jenas at the expense of Defoe and SWP? Don't make me laugh!

And Rooney is in, but King who got the same injury three weeks earlier is ruled out?

And he's only taking four strikers, two of which are injured, one has never played at Premiership level and one who is Peter Crouch!? Give me strength!

It's full of contradictions, a shambles :quotes:

Just seen the squad, so apologies for not reading the whole thread, but fucking hell!

After a million and one friendlies he suddenly decides untried Lennon, Walcott and Reo-Coker are the answer?

And includes 'game-changers' Hargreaves and Jenas at the expense of Defoe and SWP? Don't make me laugh!

And Rooney is in, but King who got the same injury three weeks earlier is ruled out?

And he's only taking four strikers, two of which are injured, one has never played at Premiership level and one who is Peter Crouch!? Give me strength!

It's full of contradictions, a shambles :quotes:

133600[/snapback]

Just about sums my thoughts up as well.

Would rather have included Shola in the squad than Crouch. I am hoping Walcott can do it, but fear he will be out of this depth.

Edited by Holden McGroin

I'm quite surprised by the inclusion of Campbell. How many games has he played since he was rank against West Ham and went missing ? How many of them was he any good in ?

Apparently, maybe Isegrim can confirm this, Hargreaves has been playing really well in Germany the past few weeks/months. We're judging the rest of the players on their domestic form, why not him too ?

And I'm also not too impressed by the choice of strikers. I still want Harewood to go.

Is the 23 definitely going to come from this 27 ? For example, if Cole re-injures himself in the CL final, will it definitely be Young who replaces him rather than a natural left back like Konchesky ?

Is the 23 definitely going to come from this 27 ?  For example, if Cole re-injures himself in the CL final, will it definitely be Young who replaces him rather than a natural left back like Konchesky ?

133617[/snapback]

Bridge is in, no?

Is the 23 definitely going to come from this 27 ?  For example, if Cole re-injures himself in the CL final, will it definitely be Young who replaces him rather than a natural left back like Konchesky ?

133617[/snapback]

Bridge is in, no?

133618[/snapback]

Yes, but he's in the squad for cover. So presumably if Cole got injured, we would ideally bring in someone to cover Bridge. No ?

133617[/snapback]

Bridge is in, no?

133618[/snapback]

Yes, but he's in the squad for cover. So presumably if Cole got injured, we would ideally bring in someone to cover Bridge. No ?

133620[/snapback]

Unlikely that both left backs would get injured. Carragher can play there anyway.

133617[/snapback]

Bridge is in, no?

133618[/snapback]

133620[/snapback]

Unlikely that both left backs would get injured. Carragher can play there anyway.

133626[/snapback]

Unlikely that our two main strikers would get injured too ...?

The players weren't the main point of my question - if one of the 23 gets injured and Sven feels that someone who isn't in the 27 should replace him, can he pick him or does he have to replace him with one of the extra four ?

133569[/snapback]

I agree.

As for Hargreaves, I see where Isegrim is coming from when he says that he'd do well as a defensive midfielder - the problem is that I don't think Eriksson will play him there. He'll probably use him as a 'game-changer' after 70-odd minutes instead. Which is why he shouldn't be in the squad...

Eriksson on Walcott:

"I've seen him perhaps three times in training," said Eriksson. "At Arsenal training on Saturday I saw him play 11 against 11 on a half pitch."

If I was Darren Bent I would be fucking devastated tbh.

One of the worst England squads I've ever seen named. Piss poor forward line, Rooney is knackered and Owen will be half fit and he puts a 17 year old kid who scored 4 goals in 21 games in the Championship. If we'd signed Walcott, he wouldn't even be on standby.

Don't even get me fucking started on Jenas.

One of the worst England squads I've ever seen named.

Wait a minute this is the side that talksport, the media etc are claiming that you have practically won the World Cup. I also keep hearing this is the best England squad in years.

Yes no doubt Defoe, Wright Phillips and Bent are unlucky and question marks are raised about the likes of Walcott, JJ and Hargreaves, but are these 3 or 4 players really the difference between you being the Worlds "best team" and an awful one?

Guest alex

Those quotes from Sven are unbelievable like. I'm wondering if he's taking the piss as he's leaving anyway.