England v Portugal

Gemmill

Whiter than white attitude by England fans :D :D :D :D

Serioulsy Ronaldo is representing his country ffs, it has fuck all to do with his club football.  Most Man Utd fans won't give him any stick because they seen what happened with Beckham.

Can't wait to see the red tops tomorrow tbh.

155318[/snapback]

:(:):razz:

Sima foaming at the mouth again! :lol:

We werent good enough. That was the managers fault and it's a huge shame because this is the best group of players we've had for a long time. A differently organised team could and should have progressed. The way we went out was galling. But it was still the managers fault.

Your lot should concentrate harder on qualifying tbh :lol:

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS goodbye and good riddance to Sven. Job simply too big for him and was out of his depth. In a very different type of way to Keegan, but out of his depth all the same.

Your lot should concentrate harder on qualifying tbh :(

155900[/snapback]

You think we had it bad with Sven - we could've gone abroad, looked at managers' records and ended up with Berti Vogts :)

Your lot should concentrate harder on qualifying tbh :(

155900[/snapback]

You think we had it bad with Sven - we could've gone abroad, looked at managers' records and ended up with Berti Vogts :)

155914[/snapback]

I think we should try and get Keegan back as national boss tbh, if only for his stunning repartee with Trevor Brooking. :razz:

The English press should look closer to home for their national side's failings tbh

155930[/snapback]

90% of the English footy press isnt worth reading, particularly going into a tournament. The blame still lies with Sven tho first and foremost.

On the subject of Rooney becoming frustrated, did anyone else think that for two midfielders who 'love to get forward', he was getting little support from Lampard and Gerrard??

I thought the whole purpose of bringing in a holding midfielder was to give both those guys the freedom to push up as they always desire yet they were more often or not acres behind Rooney and he was screwed.

On the subject of Rooney becoming frustrated, did anyone else think that for two midfielders who 'love to get forward', he was getting little support from Lampard and Gerrard??

I thought the whole purpose of bringing in a holding midfielder was to give both those guys the freedom to push up as they always desire yet they were more often or not acres behind Rooney and he was screwed.

156040[/snapback]

As a neutral I said that England's tactics were just quite poor for a couple of times. Rooney isn't a spare stiker and I don't think it did depend on how many attacking midfielders were supporting him, because Rooney is best as a sort of attacking midfielder himself by just working his arse off just all over the pitch.

IMHO Rooney got rightly frustrated by getting no support at the wings by Cole and especially by Beckham (it was a huge difference Lennon did by running down to the touchline IMHO). So for me Eriksson's strange decisions were just looking for a desaster ... not that I am too unhappy about it. :(

The problem with Lampard and Gerrard in "advanced roles" is that you're still playing two players out of their natural position - centre-mid. Though they love to run/dribble/drive forward, they are still central midfielders by trade. Lampard and Gerrard both didn't want to stay miles up the pitch, so felt they had to run back and pick the ball up, and then they struggled to come forward. They also seemed to be scared to both get forward, and for somebody who loves to make late runs into the box, Lampard looked to be playing deeper than I've ever seen him (rendering him useless).

Once again it was the old story of them not playing together, and it's painstakingly obvious one of them (namely Lampard) should be dropped. We'll have no more of this "injury scare" crap, as at the moment neither seem to me like integral parts of the team.

The problem with Lampard and Gerrard in "advanced roles" is that you're still playing two players out of their natural position - centre-mid. Though they love to run/dribble/drive forward, they are still central midfielders by trade. Lampard and Gerrard both didn't want to stay miles up the pitch, so felt they had to run back and pick the ball up, and then they struggled to come forward. They also seemed to be scared to both get forward, and for somebody who loves to make late runs into the box, Lampard looked to be playing deeper than I've ever seen him (rendering him useless).

Once again it was the old story of them not playing together, and it's painstakingly obvious one of them (namely Lampard) should be dropped. We'll have no more of this "injury scare" crap, as at the moment neither seem to me like integral parts of the team.

156089[/snapback]

Top scorer in qualifying, although he did have a poor world cup. How could Sven drop his top scorer though?

156089[/snapback]

Top scorer in qualifying, although he did have a poor world cup. How could Sven drop his top scorer though?

157372[/snapback]

Because he is not that good a player, and his partnership with Gerrard is so incompetent it won't work persisting. Unfortunately for Lampard, Gerrard is by far a better player, and will be far more effective, should he be playing alongside Carrick/Hargreaves, and this would also benefit the team better.