Do you want children?

magelaide

After reading the Wacky Jnr thread and the 12yo mother one too:

So, do you want children? Do you have children?

I hope to be lucky enough to have children one day, but only once I'm financially secure and know that I'm able to give them the best in life. The only thing turning me off is the whole concept of giving birth. Watermelons and holes that belong on a sieve don't match. :lol:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye and my plan is not to let my son have an actual football till he's 10, as i'm going for the Pele approach of orange's and paper stuff in a sock.

Yeah, I do. Getting to a point now when I wonder if I ever will though. A combination of circumstance and medical probs means it's not as likely as it once was, but hopefully it'll happen at some point.

How come boys can never be serious?? You must have sensitive sides somewhere.

163447[/snapback]

Of course we have sensitive sides.

The parts responsible for fathering children are quite sensitive, for example! :lol:

Edited by luckyluke

Yeah, I do.  Getting to a point now when I wonder if I ever will though. A combination of circumstance and medical probs means it's not as likely as it once was, but hopefully it'll happen at some point.

163457[/snapback]

:lol:

Seriously though, you'll find someone! Although working in a maternity ward would put me off kids for life. ;)

Guest Toplass-101

I would like to have kids, but i'm not one of these women with the "baby-bug" who would be distraught if they didnt come along.

I agree 100%. I'm not overly clucky. I aslo think that sometimes we (girls) get hitched and have babies just because it's what we deem to be the next step in our 'journey' through life.

Success aint defined by how many kids you pop out, and nor should it be. If it happens, great. If not then that's fine too.

I've got 3 children, 2 boys and a girl.

Without a doubt having them is the best thing to have ever happened to me, I'm not going to bother trying to put any of it into words because you probably can't.

All I would say is I hear a lot of people say they aren't ready for kids etc, my only comment is that I don't believe you can ever prepare yourself for the emotion and change of outlook you have once you are a parent, so in that case can you ever truly be ready ? probably not.

Anyway enough of the patronising bollocks.

Is it true when they say that the fastest time you fall in love (and one of the most intense) is that moment where the baby is born. I'd imagine its an intense feeling of unconditional love formed within a nanosecond.

Is it true when they say that the fastest time you fall in love (and one of the most intense) is that moment where the baby is born. I'd imagine its an intense feeling of unconditional love formed within a nanosecond.

163471[/snapback]

Like I said before, I don't there there are any words to describe it correctly.

163471[/snapback]

Can't speak from having my own, but I've seen some mothers have babies and you can see that "thing" happen instantly. It's equally as marked in fathers actually and the biggest, toughest hard man turn into mush. Then again there are other times when the mother barely gives the child a second glance and it's a very strange feeling being an observer to it. I'm covering maternity at work tonight actually so I shall let you know what kind of reactions we get should there be any caesarians...

Dan - working in maternity can put you off a bit but then it's an absolute privilege to be present when a baby is born and for the most part it's absolutely amazing. It can also be very poignant to see the emotion of it all and wonder whether it's ever something I'll experience.

I bet if Jimbo's lad's turn out to be anything like their father they'll turn out to be a right bunch of wanker's :lol:

163473[/snapback]

Well, the trouble is when they are really young, you do sometimes catch them having a crafty fiddle and I feel a bit hypocritical when I tell them off for doing so.

I've had my obstets/maternity rotation and I've witnessed both too. On a side not, we take bets as to how long it is before Mum falls asleep after giving birth. Most times they are out whilst being wheeled to the room. Don't blame them either.

I bet if Jimbo's lad's turn out to be anything like their father they'll turn out to be a right bunch of wanker's :finger:

163473[/snapback]

Well, the trouble is when they are really young, you do sometimes catch them having a crafty fiddle and I feel a bit hypocritical when I tell them off for doing so.

163475[/snapback]

:lol:;):finger:

163471[/snapback]

Can't speak from having my own, but I've seen some mothers have babies and you can see that "thing" happen instantly. It's equally as marked in fathers actually and the biggest, toughest hard man turn into mush. Then again there are other times when the mother barely gives the child a second glance and it's a very strange feeling being an observer to it. I'm covering maternity at work tonight actually so I shall let you know what kind of reactions we get should there be any caesarians...

Dan - working in maternity can put you off a bit but then it's an absolute privilege to be present when a baby is born and for the most part it's absolutely amazing. It can also be very poignant to see the emotion of it all and wonder whether it's ever something I'll experience.

163474[/snapback]

I have one son, he's 22 now, i had him very young, ( met hubby when i was 15) Like Jimbo says its hard to put into words what you feel. For me it wasnt instant love, i had a complicated birth ending up in an emergency caesarian, i was pretty out of it after so long in labour, i did have an epidural but in the end i was put to sleep for the birth anyway. So by the time i was handed my baby hours later i didnt feel much...i even wondered if they'd given me the right one! Infact it was hard to feel that 'bond' for awhile...i think i felt numb, i was young (just 18) i wasnt that well either and i was very tired. I just felt relief it was over. I think when you have a caesar it is harder to bond, especially if you werent awake for the birth. I've never been a maternal 'baby' type of woman.

Anyhow, eventually i felt that bond, hard to describe, except to say you feel everything for your child, its like nothing ever before, a totally different love to what you feel for partners and family i think. I felt (and still feel) so protective for my son. If they hurt, you hurt. It's also a very scarey feeling looking down at your baby knowing you are totally responsible for another person.

I never had any more children, i think my own experience of labour and birth put me off...then it got too late, as i'd have wanted two quite close together.

My son and i are very close, having a baby young may have its drawbacks, it wasnt easy but then again im young(ish) now, so we are good friends and i can relate to him.