171310[/snapback]

CT-Keith, Shirley?

The 'N' word can only be 'nigger', I think. :lol:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one of the opinion that the more the mods and admin there try to regulate things the more people are going to kick off? The karma system dropped but they really only wanted it for the football forum? I'm sorry, but that's just another way to have people noses up others' arses. "Dude, I'll give you good karma because we agree mate"... fuck me that set up more flame wars that the Souness debate ever did. If it's all about JUST FOOTBALL then get shot of the rest of the forums. It's seeming like more and more that's all that's deemed worthy there anyways. Meh.. I'll shut up now... besides, it's this site that is home so I really do have to ask why I as well as any other reg here would be bothered?

Oh, and the word for today is....

meg·a·lo·ma·ni·a ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mg-l-mn-, -mny)

n.

A psychopathological condition characterized by delusional fantasies of wealth, power, or omnipotence.

An obsession with grandiose or extravagant things or actions

Quiz tomorrow. *apologies*

I should know better but  the contempt that they hold their posters in over there is hilarious. :lol: "This place would be great if it wasn't for the fucking posters."  It's not like it's an actual profit making enterprise, so why don't they get on with them, like a family, instead of us/them.  I guess I don't see the motivation?

PS I'm not getting into it over there, because I don't feel part of the community, but I'd gladly discuss it with some of their sound mods who come over here (Wullie, Andy etc.)

171000[/snapback]

That would be the Wullie who called me a sick moron, and the Andy who banned me and left the "Don't come back" :lol::lol:

171009[/snapback]

Haha, I remember that. I remember asking myself "Now... How can I ban him AND annoy him in the same post?". Did I come up with a good answer? :blink:

DotBum: I don't think it's a case of "us against them", at least not from myself. I can't speak for anyone else of course, but I'm sure they're all the same. Occasionaly I might make the odd deliberately patronising post to certain people who piss me off, but I think generally I like 90% of the people over there who I've had any kind discussion with, no matter how heated.

I think most of the mods over there want to be pre-active in how they approach running the forum, and it's sometimes confused with being "power-hungry". They want to try new things whenever possible, and they're open to new ideas and suggestions. When we make changes like this, the aim isn't to alienate people we don't like (or people we DO like as well, if you want), the aim is to try to make the place better. Sometimes that requires change. In some instance people won't take the change well, but I don't think that means we should stop trying, it just means we have to look at what we're doing wrong and improve on it in future.

This new posting system was never intended as a "this will let us flex our e-muscles" kind of escapade, it was intended to try something different in the hope that people would grow to see the benefits of it. If it still doesn't work after the trial period is up, it'll be scrapped immediately.

Well seeing as I was mentioned and Andy's said his bit, I might as well add my two-penneth (sorry, Jimbo). First of all, I'll say that I thought we'd got over the board wars thing and it's a shame that it's reared its ugly head again.

It's not about megalomania, or any of the other rubbish levelled at us in this thread. It's simply about trying to raise the quality of the forum. How many times do Toontastic members level a snide comment towards N-O about the 'mongs' or the 'kids' or the 'hysteria'? How many times do Toontastic members say they don't come on N-O anymore because of various reasons, most of which to do with the fact that the NUFC Forum is poor and has been for some time?

Yet, when we try to change things around, just to test the water, there's threads popping up on here left, right and centre criticizing?

The trouble with comparisons to here is that you only have 500 members. This place was started pretty much with the intention that it's cosy and filled with friends, people who know each other and aimed more towards the General Chat kind of thing, which is fine, but it's not for everybody - new members for example. The whole point of here is that you're not really looking to attract new members or improve things. You've got what you want and good luck to you.

We've looked at other clubs of similar stature and their messageboards. Chelsea's has 5000+ members, so does Tottenham's, Man Utd's has 6000, Arsenal's has 13000+, Liverpool's has 18000+ and all keep up a high standard of posting. We've got 1800 and it's poor tbh. Here, the football craic is great I think, but when you've only got a handful of intelligent people who all know each other, then yes that's going to happen. Newcastle boards in general are piss poor - we're bad at times but at least we're not Tyne-Talk, Talk of the Tyne or Skunkers. I'd like to think it's not just that idiots outnumber the internet-using Newcastle fans, but that perhaps good potential posters aren't signing up because each board has some severe limitations.

Yes, I'd rather have quality than quantity, but there's a middle ground to be had, as demonstrated by the above boards. If it doesn't work, we'll scrap it and probably end up trying something else. I just hope then we don't have to see anymore of these sniping posts on here about it (and I don't include everyone in that).

I enjoy viewing and posting here, and some of our best members are also some of yours. There's also certain members on here that I'd love to have back at our place now and then, because we're worse off without them. The last thing any of us want is another board war.

Cheers.

Edited by Wullie

Sweetie it's not about board wars- I think 99.999% of all toontastic and N-O members have moved past that. It's not that I have a problem that the mods want a cleaner more streamlined forum as it were. It's the phrasing of mods deaming where something should go and if it's worth posting. I don't care really as I don't bother posting there, but I have to admit to feeling a bit... I don't know... sorry maybe? for the posters. Regardless of the intention the situation carries the aura of control issues and megalomania. Right down to 'OK motherhubbards...'maybe it's just me. Seems as tho some of the mods have forgotten they were once 'just mere members' and may have made more than one daft thread or post to their credit. Was megalomaniacal too strong? Maybe 'elitist' is more apropos?

No fear Wullie, none of us want another board war either and I'll think you'll find that is not the point of any derogatory comments anyone has made.

We were just saying at the piss up how glad we all were that the board wars were finished with and how you guys felt you could come on here and post at ease.

I think the main point certain people are trying to point out was that it was the desire of a certain person to mess with the natural continuity of the forums which ended up pissing a lot of people off and ultimately led to this place being set up.

It is IMO a moderator's job to step in when someone has over-stepped the mark, not to pre-empt them doing so and in the course of which, scutinise everyone else while you're at it. Sure there's the odd snide remark about the quality of some threads over on N-O but I'm sure there's the odd one mentioned about ours from time to time.

You have a high amount of members who do some quality posting and never likely to post crap, a lot of which never come anywhere near this place which I'd love them to do and if I was in their shoes, I'd seriously feel put out by your actions.

This is not a snipe BTW, it's a genuine unbiased comment. Put yourself in your posters shoes and try to imagine how you'd feel if suddenly everything you post is scrutinised.

It's not that I have a problem that the mods want a cleaner more streamlined forum as it were. It's the phrasing of mods deaming where something should go and if it's worth posting. I don't care really as I don't bother posting there, but I have to admit to feeling a bit... I don't know... sorry maybe? for the posters. Regardless of the intention the situation carries the aura of control issues and megalomania. Right down to 'OK motherhubbards...'maybe it's just me. Seems as tho some of the mods have forgotten they were once 'just mere members' and may have made more than one daft thread or post to their credit. Was megalomaniacal too strong? Maybe 'elitist' is more apropos?

171458[/snapback]

My posting style hasn't changed since I registered. I post what I'm thinking, and I don't really give a flying fuck how it comes across to people who I will probably never, ever speak to in reality. If you think my posting style is elitist - fine. That's perfectly ok. But don't make the mistake of thinking that I would help out in changing forum rules or forum posting systems to gain a power-rush or something, because you couldn't be further from the truth.

The same goes for the other n-o admins too. We're not doing what we're doing because we think we're superior, we're not doing it because we want to sit and judge every thread that's started and decide how worthy it is. We're doing it because the general feedback we get is that the football discussion on forum is a pile of wank and it needs work put into it, and that's all it comes down to.

Well seeing as I was mentioned and Andy's said his bit, I might as well add my two-penneth (sorry, Jimbo). First of all, I'll say that I thought we'd got over the board wars thing and it's a shame that it's reared its ugly head again.

Yet, when we try to change things around, just to test the water, there's threads popping up on here left, right and centre criticizing?

I just hope then we don't have to see anymore of these sniping posts on here about it (and I don't include everyone in that).

Just to make it clear this is not a TT v N-O thing, the thread was started by N-O members/ ex-members to discuss the changes and in some cases have a pop however we need to nip in the bud any thoughts that someone having a view on here is inflamming those arguments.

One of the reasons these threads are started here is that they know the thread wont get closed unless they start slaggin off N-O, therefore they feel that they can make their voices heard. The worst thing that could have happened with the original thread was to lock it and Phil/ Chris did that fairly early on, that I feel showed a contempt towards the members. Even though I dont think it was meant that way it seemed like "you dont like it? tough oh and I'll not let you say you dont like it!"

It's not about megalomania, or any of the other rubbish levelled at us in this thread. It's simply about trying to raise the quality of the forum. How many times do Toontastic members level a snide comment towards N-O about the 'mongs' or the 'kids' or the 'hysteria'? How many times do Toontastic members say they don't come on N-O anymore because of various reasons, most of which to do with the fact that the NUFC Forum is poor and has been for some time?

Agreed on all points

The trouble with comparisons to here is that you only have 500 members. This place was started pretty much with the intention that it's cosy and filled with friends, people who know each other and aimed more towards the General Chat kind of thing, which is fine, but it's not for everybody - new members for example. The whole point of here is that you're not really looking to attract new members or improve things. You've got what you want and good luck to you.

Improve things? perfection mate, perfection, nowt to improve :lol:

tbh though, we feel the board works well as it is, if we were to suddenly treble our numbers then we would probably look to increase the number of mods but I cant see us trying out things such as validating threads. Things change, who knows? maybe some idea would be put forward which would change that but at the mo I cant see it.

Yes, I'd rather have quality than quantity, but there's a middle ground to be had, as demonstrated by the above boards. If it doesn't work, we'll scrap it and probably end up trying something else.

I actually think its a good idea to try it, where I think you went wrong was the way in which it was done, personally (and I think this is the view of all the Admin here) I feel that to do something of that magnitude should involve the members input, even if its a warning a week beforehand so they can get used to the idea and to allow you to gauge their views. I also think Wullie, that the post you put up informing them was too jokey, it actually smacked of "this is here now fuck off" even though I, and most other people knoew after reading it a few times how you meant it.

I enjoy viewing and posting here, and some of our best members are also some of yours. There's also certain members on here that I'd love to have back at our place now and then, because we're worse off without them. The last thing any of us want is another board war.

171450[/snapback]

OK then I'll start posting again :blink:

tbh I would like to post more on there,I enjoy the craic at times however I felt a while ago that I should keep away to let things calm down.

Overall, my personal view is as I stated in those threads yesterday and above.

1. You should learn from this mistake, not in trying it but in the way it was implemented. Warn the users first and most importantly, obtain the necessary coding on the forum to allow it to appear seamless ie still have the New Thread button in the forum but it posts it in the Moderator forum rather than the proper one.

2. Listen to the users if they start moaning about it, I like Bluf hes a canny lad after all he (and yourself, I believe) after thinking about it saw the Hitzfeld thing for what it was however he has a certain Moderating style which totally goes against his sig! He actually has a sig that says "Think for yourself, question authority" yet when people do on the board he doesnt like it. (No offence Bluf mate)

Guest Patrokles

The solution is simply to make all prospective posters take a Myers-Briggs test and have a board quota % based on the various personality types. ENTJs, ESTJs, INTPs & ISTPs should provide the major make-up of posters. ESFJs & ENFJs need to be carefully monitored, as should ISFPs & INFPs, but ISFPs & INFPs are safer because they are more likely to cry to themselves about disagreement, rather than causing inflammatory TROUBLE.

It's not that I have a problem that the mods want a cleaner more streamlined forum as it were. It's the phrasing of mods deaming where something should go and if it's worth posting. I don't care really as I don't bother posting there, but I have to admit to feeling a bit... I don't know... sorry maybe? for the posters. Regardless of the intention the situation carries the aura of control issues and megalomania. Right down to 'OK motherhubbards...'maybe it's just me. Seems as tho some of the mods have forgotten they were once 'just mere members' and may have made more than one daft thread or post to their credit. Was megalomaniacal too strong? Maybe 'elitist' is more apropos?

171458[/snapback]

My posting style hasn't changed since I registered. I post what I'm thinking, and I don't really give a flying fuck how it comes across to people who I will probably never, ever speak to in reality. If you think my posting style is elitist - fine. That's perfectly ok. But don't make the mistake of thinking that I would help out in changing forum rules or forum posting systems to gain a power-rush or something, because you couldn't be further from the truth.

The same goes for the other n-o admins too. We're not doing what we're doing because we think we're superior, we're not doing it because we want to sit and judge every thread that's started and decide how worthy it is. We're doing it because the general feedback we get is that the football discussion on forum is a pile of wank and it needs work put into it, and that's all it comes down to.

171467[/snapback]

A pile of wank syndrome hits many boards, mainly because it's been close season (off-season on my NFL boards). I'm sure it will pick up all by itself as the action gets closer and more immediate.

Just my four pennyworth

(P.S. The N word is the derogatory black person name)

A pile of wank syndrome hits many boards, mainly because it's been close season (off-season on my NFL boards). I'm sure it will pick up all by itself as the action gets closer and more immediate.

Just my four pennyworth

171474[/snapback]

That's certainly a contributive factor, but the feedback about the forum has been lingering since way before christmas. Obviously, certain times of the year are going to bring about different quality of posts, but I think the problem with our nufc section has been consistently there since the two forums split this time last year, if not earlier.

Edited by Andy

I'll have a bit of a say, If you don't mind?

N-O is a community, not just a forum. The changes that have been put in place, are very minor, and I doubt that rational people will have a problem with submitting a thread for approval. New members that join won't moan, because this would be all they knew. Old members (most), won't leave, because it's still the same place, only with mild adjustments.

The problem I have, with governing a forum, is that things are taken out of context, and can sometimes be completly taken the wrong way. The thousands of simple rules on N-O have flaws, and can be easily bypassed (sometimes even with a smiley), and thats when trouble brews in my opinion. Normal 'banter' can't be tolerated, because I call my mates 'dickheads' all the time, but If i called someone on N-O a dickhead, i'd be banned.

Also, i feel the mods on N-O have a clique feel to them, and it angered me when I had a mod harrass me via PM, sending me sarky comments, but when I called someones posts 'cuntish' (part of the ban, i think) i was banned. (I do feel that MJ is still a WUM and a bit of an arse, and he does/did get his arse licked by some moderators)

Everyone needs to be on the same playing field, we're all posters on a forum after all, albeit some posters have the power to make the forum better, clean the forum up etc.

Anyway, fuck it :blink: Everyone rocks :lol:

Just my four pennyworth

171474[/snapback]

That's certainly a contributive factor, but the feedback about the forum has been lingering since way before christmas. Obviously, certain times of the year are going to bring about different quality of posts, but I think the problem with our nufc section has been consistently there since the two forums split this time last year, if not earlier.

171477[/snapback]

As one poster put it yesterday though, this seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut, by careful moderation you can kill off any wank threads/ duplicate threads before they've had much impact, the way you're testing means that posts could (as happened on Saturday) be sitting for hours. Whats gonna happen when someone posts a "Breaking News, check Sky Sports now" type thread? 2 hours later isnt going to be good enough. Thats when this will bite, the last day of the transfer window, there'll be rumours flying and stuff happening but it could be delayed. I also wonder about the seperate transfer forum, what is a transfer or a rumour if its not NUFC related? to me thats one of the main things that should be in the proper NUFC forum. I notice also that Chris said the Transfer forum would be deleted after the window? what happens to the posts? do they go?

The problem I have, with governing a forum, is that things are taken out of context, and  can sometimes be completly taken the wrong way. The thousands of simple rules on N-O have flaws, and can be easily bypassed (sometimes even with a smiley), and thats when trouble brews in my opinion. Normal 'banter' can't be tolerated, because I call my mates 'dickheads' all the time, but If i called someone on N-O a dickhead, i'd be banned.

171478[/snapback]

Hmm... I think most of us can interpret when things are said in jest, and when they aren't said in jest. But that's also the reason that we only really act nowadays if a post is reported first.

As for your ban... It has nothing to do with the user you directed your comments at or even the severity of the abuse, and you know that.

Just my four pennyworth

171474[/snapback]

171477[/snapback]

Accept the point, BUT last year was a particularly divisive one (the Souness factor) and there was undoubtedly a LOT of friction around that time which naturally was reflected in the forum and the posting styles.

From previous experience (I am old you know) I've seen boards "meltdown" but rarely irreperably.

One closed down, it was run by a newspaper as a football forum, and moderated by paper staff, the mods we're over-run trying to react to poster complaints and ended up with more rules than the US constitution, it became more trouble than it was worth. The main board I post on now was started with the lessons learned from that one and it has only the few rules I posted earlier. The ignore function is a great one for defense against irritating posters.

One of the things that works well is having a lightly moderated "free for all" discussion area and seperate "serious" football forums where there is zero tolerance to name calling, WUM's or bullshit, offending posts get deleted so as not to spoil a good thread, bad or bait threads get shunted, duplicate threads get merged - no appeal no questions. - it works

The problem I have, with governing a forum, is that things are taken out of context, and  can sometimes be completly taken the wrong way. The thousands of simple rules on N-O have flaws, and can be easily bypassed (sometimes even with a smiley), and thats when trouble brews in my opinion. Normal 'banter' can't be tolerated, because I call my mates 'dickheads' all the time, but If i called someone on N-O a dickhead, i'd be banned.

171478[/snapback]

Hmm... I think most of us can interpret when things are said in jest, and when they aren't said in jest. But that's also the reason that we only really act nowadays if a post is reported first.

As for your ban... It has nothing to do with the user you directed your comments at or even the severity of the abuse, and you know that.

171484[/snapback]

Why was I then?

I honestly don't know.

171478[/snapback]

171484[/snapback]

Why was I then?

I honestly don't know.

171488[/snapback]

I'll PM you over there, I want to ask about something else you said too.

171478[/snapback]

171484[/snapback]

Why was I then?

I honestly don't know.

171488[/snapback]

I'll PM you over there, I want to ask about something else you said too.

171489[/snapback]

Watch it Rocker, no-one expects:

T3.jpg
Edited by Toonpack

2. Listen to the users if they start moaning about it, I like Bluf hes a canny lad after all he (and yourself, I believe) after thinking about it saw the Hitzfeld thing for what it was however he has a certain Moderating style which totally goes against his sig! He actually has a sig that says "Think for yourself, question authority" yet when people do on the board he doesnt like it. (No offence Bluf mate)

171471[/snapback]

None taken, I was a bit arsey yesterday. I've nowt against people voicing their concerns, it was the "it's shite tbh" crap that pissed me off. It offers fuck all. I also wanted to try and get across that maybe people should try it before deciding it's crap. That's not to say they can't have an initial impression, but some people were acting as if they were going to fuck off. I just got the feeling a lot of people were/are against it because it's change, which a lot of people don't like.

I do think some of the reactions are hilarious though. Like we're on a power-trip. As people say, it's a fucking internet forum, we don't take things that seriously, I personally see these as pretty standard methods on a lot of boards (bar the Moderation board, but that is an idea taken from another forum, where it worked). And the claim that we'll not put up stuff we disagree with couldn't be further from the proof. It's just the nonsense threads like "How shit is Ameobi" consisting of a poll with options of shit, shit or shit. Or the threads that could easily have been in another existing one. I know we can merge, delete and all that, but sometimes threads have developed so it's too late to merge it without confusing things. That's how I see it.

I will now go back into retirement... :lol: