The Luque Situation

aimaad22

Oh, and...

Maybe you should have considered the time difference in our parts of the world, and also the fact that I dont plan on spending my entire day on the site.

175724[/snapback]

You started a conversation and then buggered off, I think that's the point people were making tbh. :D

175746[/snapback]

Well, there wasnt anyone on the board at the time.

I never stated that people dislike Luque because he is Spanish. But overseas players often get stamped with the 'lazy greedy foreigner' remark. It doesnt have to mean anything, but people just seem to blindly say it these days.

Why do you just cut off a single line from my post and concentrate on it? I accepted that luque has been lazy at times this pre-season, but then almost all of our players have been. How many times did we go to sleep against PSV? Its not fair to single luque out like that. And I dont really bother about friendlies, sometimes players dont just go all out in these games because they are afraid of getting injured before the new season. Luque has recovered from a bad injury, imagine if he pulled up again during a friendly game worth nothing. Im not encouraging this attitude, im just saying its understandable. Now if a game held some meaning, and luque didnt give a shite that would be worrying.

Im not saying Luque will be the next Shearer or anything, just that we havent seen him enough to pass judgement like that. He's shown flashes of brilliance already. Perhaps only Henry could score a goal like the one he did against Lillestrom. So its not like he's been terrible like some people say. Judging someone on the back of a performance in one friendly is absurd. I keep saying this again and again, he's not been given a proper outing! Lets judge him once he's had the chance to prove himself!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and...

Maybe you should have considered the time difference in our parts of the world, and also the fact that I dont plan on spending my entire day on the site.

175724[/snapback]

You started a conversation and then buggered off, I think that's the point people were making tbh. :)

175746[/snapback]

You had 4 good answers with 6 minutes of your post, hell even Alex managed more than a smiley! :icon_lol: It has fuck all to do with what part of the World you're in.

I never stated that people dislike Luque because he is Spanish. But overseas players often get stamped with the 'lazy greedy foreigner' remark. It doesnt have to mean anything, but people just seem to blindly say it these days. So they don't give him time because he's foreign. Aren't you just arguing semantics?

Why do you just cut off a single line from my post and concentrate on it? Because it's the crux of the issue? I accepted that luque has been lazy at times this pre-season, but then almost all of our players have been. How many times did we go to sleep against PSV? Its not fair to single luque out like that. And I dont really bother about friendlies, sometimes players dont just go all out in these games because they are afraid of getting injured before the new season. Luque has recovered from a bad injury, imagine if he pulled up again during a friendly game worth nothing. Im not encouraging this attitude, im just saying its understandable. Now if a game held some meaning, and luque didnt give a shite that would be worrying.

Im not saying Luque will be the next Shearer or anything, just that we havent seen him enough to pass judgement like that. He's shown flashes of brilliance already. Perhaps only Henry could score a goal like the one he did against Lillestrom. :D :D :icon_lol: So its not like he's been terrible like some people say. Judging someone on the back of a performance in one friendly is absurd. I keep saying this again and again, he's not been given a proper outing! Lets judge him once he's had the chance to prove himself!!!!!!!!!!!!

175796[/snapback]

I'll leave you to it.

Guest Patrokles
Oh, and...

175724[/snapback]

You started a conversation and then buggered off, I think that's the point people were making tbh. :D

175746[/snapback]

I never stated that people dislike Luque because he is Spanish. But overseas players often get stamped with the 'lazy greedy foreigner' remark. It doesnt have to mean anything, but people just seem to blindly say it these days.

Why do you just cut off a single line from my post and concentrate on it? I accepted that luque has been lazy at times this pre-season, but then almost all of our players have been. How many times did we go to sleep against PSV? Its not fair to single luque out like that. And I dont really bother about friendlies, sometimes players dont just go all out in these games because they are afraid of getting injured before the new season. Luque has recovered from a bad injury, imagine if he pulled up again during a friendly game worth nothing. Im not encouraging this attitude, im just saying its understandable. Now if a game held some meaning, and luque didnt give a shite that would be worrying.

Im not saying Luque will be the next Shearer or anything, just that we havent seen him enough to pass judgement like that. He's shown flashes of brilliance already. Perhaps only Henry could score a goal like the one he did against Lillestrom. So its not like he's been terrible like some people say. Judging someone on the back of a performance in one friendly is absurd. I keep saying this again and again, he's not been given a proper outing! Lets judge him once he's had the chance to prove himself!!!!!!!!!!!!

175796[/snapback]

I can name you zounds more beloved foreign players than english players in the history of the premier league, which undermines your entire argument.

You had 4 good answers with 6 minutes of your post, hell even Alex managed more than a smiley! It has fuck all to do with what part of the World you're in.

So do we get little beepers that detect good answers and tell us to stay away?? Sorry I havent got one. I made a post, hardly anyone was online at the time and so I decided to come back in the evening. Is that so hard to uinderstand? And is that against forum ethics?? We are supposed to wait 10 hours after starting a thread and answer every post made until the topic is exhausted?? I'll shift the pc into my bedroom if thats the case.

So they don't give him time because he's foreign.  Aren't you just arguing semantics?

No, im saying an overseas failure will always get stamped with that remark, even if the reason of his failure was something else like in luque's case.

Because it's the crux of the issue?

You dont just cut off the first line from a paragraph and say its the crux of the issue. You are supposed to read paragraphs as whole. So when you read the first line you understood that I think luque hasnt been bad for us and you think im a madman. But when you read the whole para you understand the reasons why I think he hasnt been that bad or why his laziness is forgivable.

Oh, and...

175724[/snapback]

175746[/snapback]

175796[/snapback]

I can name you zounds more beloved foreign players than english players in the history of the premier league, which undermines your entire argument.

175810[/snapback]

I know mate, I can name them too! But you are misreding my post a bit. Maybe I should have been a bit clearer myself. I mean that because there have been some allegedly lazy players like kluivert from abroad, every foreigner who doesnt make it in this league get called a lazy bastid too while the reasons for his failure could have been anything else. For instance if luque gets shipped out, it would be madness to say he didnt make it because he was lazy. But some people will definitely say that. They are already saying it.

Guest Patrokles
Oh, and...

175724[/snapback]

175746[/snapback]

175796[/snapback]

175810[/snapback]

I know mate, I can name them too! But you are misreding my post a bit. Maybe I should have been a bit clearer myself. I mean that because there have been some allegedly lazy players like kluivert from abroad, every foreigner who doesnt make it in this league get called a lazy bastid too while the reasons for his failure could have been anything else. For instance if luque gets shipped out, it would be madness to say he didnt make it because he was lazy. But some people will definitely say that. They are already saying it.

175840[/snapback]

To be fair, though, every Englishman who fails to make it is referred to as 'shit.' So, it's either one or the other. Personally I'd rather be known as lazy and brilliant than hard-working and shit.

Oh, and...

175724[/snapback]

175746[/snapback]

175796[/snapback]

175810[/snapback]

175840[/snapback]

I can't say i agree with that, for example if Stig Tofting failed miserably no one would call him lazy.

stig_tofting.jpg
Edited by Jonny2J

Oh, and...

175724[/snapback]

175746[/snapback]

175796[/snapback]

175810[/snapback]

175840[/snapback]

I can't say i agree with that, for example if Stig Tofting failed miserably no one would call him lazy.

stig_tofting.jpg

175857[/snapback]

Well there are always exceptions, but it does seem to me that laziness is most commonly attributed to foreign failures. Maybe its just me............

Also, maybe we sometimes fail to differentiate between laziness and style of play? A lot of these players come from spain and italy where the tempo of the game is much lower. So perhaps these players plan on playing the same tempo and try to use their(usually) higher level of skill. You know, try to play the english game their way. Whether it works or not is something else, but it cant be called laziness, its just lower tempo higher skill stuff. Similarly englishmen abroad are probably accused of having no skill or flair, although they may be play at a much higher tempo. Imagine an Italian man sitting infront of his tv cursing someone from england, ''look at the little twat, running around like mad but cant beat a single player.''

You've got a cheek insulting NO tbh.

175863[/snapback]

Not insulting them, just trying to be smart :D

Its not that they dont have any sensible posters. But their membership base is so large now that the twits outnumber the rest easily. They are trying to sort it out though, with new threads now being moderated and all. Fair play to the Admin.

I was one of the people who was happy when I heard that we had signed Luque - even though it was blatantly obvious that he was a panic buy. But from what I've seen of him, he's been poor and now that it's clear that he has no future at the club, I hope a Spanish team will come in for him before the end of the month. We need to get rid as long as we can still get a good price for him.

Having said that, I see where aimaad is coming from and I think he's right when he says that a lot of people are obsessed with talentless cloggers. Maybe Bowyer isn't the best example - a lot of people disliked him from the start because of his background and character. But still - he was a desperately poor player who got away with more than he should have because he's the type of player who runs around all day and makes silly (but spectacular) tackles.

I also think that the club probably doesn't do enough to help foreign players settle. Clubs like Arsenal make sure they look after their foreign players, I guess that's part of the reason why they've been so successful.

I was one of the people who was happy when I heard that we had signed Luque - even though it was blatantly obvious that he was a panic buy. But from what I've seen of him, he's been poor and now that it's clear that he has no future at the club, I hope a Spanish team will come in for him before the end of the month. We need to get rid as long as we can still get a good price for him.

Having said that, I see where aimaad is coming from and I think he's right when he says that a lot of people are obsessed with talentless cloggers. Maybe Bowyer isn't the best example - a lot of people disliked him from the start because of his background and character. But still - he was a desperately poor player who got away with more than he should have because he's the type of player who runs around all day and makes silly (but spectacular) tackles.

I also think that the club probably doesn't do enough to help foreign players settle. Clubs like Arsenal make sure they look after their foreign players, I guess that's part of the reason why they've been so successful.

176081[/snapback]

You are the one and only tbh.

Unless you mean he is coming from Pakistan?

176081[/snapback]

You are the one and only tbh.

Unless you mean he is coming from Pakistan?

176089[/snapback]

Well, there's a thread on NO about luque, and quite a few people seem to share my point of view. Forget what I said about NO earlier ;)

Well, there's a thread on NO about luque, and quite a few people seem to share my point of view. Forget what I said about NO earlier ;)

176091[/snapback]

I would be interested if you could find anyone to say of Luque "Perhaps only Henry could score a goal like the one he did against Lillestrom" without dribbling.

Jesus Wept. :)

Guest Patrokles

176081[/snapback]

I don't think anyone is obsessed with talentless cloggers, to be honest with you.

176091[/snapback]

I would be interested if you could find anyone to say of Luque "Perhaps only Henry could score a goal like the one he did against Lillestrom" without dribbling.

176103[/snapback]

Name me any other player in the premiership who you think capable of scoring a goal like that.

I know Robert did once against Arsenal, but other than that I cant really think of another player from this league who could do it.

176091[/snapback]

176103[/snapback]

Name me any other player in the premiership who you think capable of scoring a goal like that.

I know Robert did once against Arsenal, but other than that I cant really think of another player from this league who could do it.

176245[/snapback]

:( It wasn't by any means a great goal ffs. He beat a couple of players and stroked it into the bottom corner - no outstanding, only-one-player-in-the-world-could-do-that instances of skill. There are any number of players who can a) beat a couple of players and :finger: finish from outside the box) in the Premiership and The Championship for that matter. Fucking hell you'd think it was Maradona's second v England the way you're carrying on. :P

Talk us through the things that Luque did in that move that only Henry could replicate.

Luque Luque balls on Hooky ;)

I'm getting a little tired of all this rhetoric and dissertation about pros & cons of Luque at SJP.

He has spent more than enough time on the pitch to prove his worth to Newcastle and so far he hasn't done that, one or two goals from a supposed striker is not enough to show any value even if one was a very decent goal.

I have to smile(or is it wince) when I remember foreign players doing well for us over the years, and there have been quite a few who apparently settled in, had the right approach and attitude, and did the job they were brought in for.

My memory(aa'm an owld gadgee ye knaa) takes me back to the days I watched them two lads from Chile, George & Ted Robledo, both FA Cup winners with Newcastle. And now of course we have Nobby Solano from Peru.

My point is, if they have the skill, the ability, the right attitude, the desire to fit in and do well coupled with the help of the players and management, THEY WILL!

In my opinion, Luque may have the skill but lacks the ability, the attitude, and the desire, and should be off-loaded as soon as possible, to me he was unfortunately for us a bad panic buy.

We have had some successful foreign players and we have had some duds, I believe Luque to be one of the duds.

Luque Luque balls on Hooky :)

I'm getting a little tired of all this rhetoric and dissertation about pros & cons of Luque at SJP.

He has spent more than enough time on the pitch to prove his worth to Newcastle and so far he hasn't done that, one or two goals from a supposed striker is not enough to show any value even if one was a very decent goal.

I have to smile(or is it wince) when I remember foreign players doing well for us over the years, and there have been quite a few who apparently settled in, had the right approach and attitude, and did the job they were brought in for.

My memory(aa'm an owld gadgee ye knaa) takes me back to the days I watched them two lads from Chile, George & Ted Robledo, both FA Cup winners with Newcastle. And now of course we have Nobby Solano from Peru.

My point is, if they have the skill, the ability, the right attitude,  the desire to fit in and do well coupled with the help of the players and management, THEY WILL!

In my opinion, Luque may have the skill but lacks the ability, the attitude, and the desire, and should be off-loaded as soon as possible, to me he was unfortunately for us a bad panic buy.

We have had some successful foreign players and we have had some dudes, I believe Luque to be one of the dudes.

176263[/snapback]

Edited for a laugh...

;)

176081[/snapback]

I don't think anyone is obsessed with talentless cloggers, to be honest with you.

176132[/snapback]

Probably not. But there seem to be a lot of people who blindly value 'effort' over everything else.

176081[/snapback]

176132[/snapback]

Probably not. But there seem to be a lot of people who blindly value 'effort' over everything else.

176285[/snapback]

When the "everything else" is overshadowed by the lack of effort, yes they do.

I could defend Luque if he had shown any of this "flair and skill" that is the opposite to the talentless cloggers.

compare Robert to Luque, similar fees, neither one of them talentless cloggers.

one is an instant hit, the other isn't.

Robert even in his final year did show one or two flashes of skill a game, Luque reminds me of Maric.