The Luque Situation

aimaad22

I could defend Luque if he had shown any of this "flair and skill" that is the opposite to the talentless cloggers.

compare Robert to Luque, similar fees, neither one of them talentless cloggers.

one is an instant hit, the other isn't.

Robert even in his final year did show one or two flashes of skill a game, Luque reminds me of Maric.

176358[/snapback]

Maric really was a a fucking overpaid, over rated, sulking little shite I could have gone on the pitch and throttled him on occasions, he was fucking awful.

Let's hope Luque turns his situation around.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to see Luque prove his detractors wrong, but I just think he's a more stroppy Viana.

decent player, not suited for the prem

I was one of the people who was happy when I heard that we had signed Luque - even though it was blatantly obvious that he was a panic buy. But from what I've seen of him, he's been poor and now that it's clear that he has no future at the club, I hope a Spanish team will come in for him before the end of the month. We need to get rid as long as we can still get a good price for him.

Having said that, I see where aimaad is coming from and I think he's right when he says that a lot of people are obsessed with talentless cloggers. Maybe Bowyer isn't the best example - a lot of people disliked him from the start because of his background and character. But still - he was a desperately poor player who got away with more than he should have because he's the type of player who runs around all day and makes silly (but spectacular) tackles.

I also think that the club probably doesn't do enough to help foreign players settle. Clubs like Arsenal make sure they look after their foreign players, I guess that's part of the reason why they've been so successful.

176081[/snapback]

I don't think anyone is obsessed with talentless cloggers, to be honest with you.

176132[/snapback]

I actually do think that he is right to a certain extent. The amount of foreign failures at Newcastle should be looked into. I don't think it's the impatience of the fans. Actually none of the players like Viana or now Luque can't complain about the backing of the supporters. Luque has really shown absolutely nothing on the pitch in a Newcastle shirt to deserve this kind of support. But I do think the club should have a look if they are really doing their very best in helping players to settle in the area and in English football. I do remember reading an article some time ago stating that foreign players at Newcastle are more or less left on their own. Of course it's easier for French, Spanish or Portuguese players coming to a club with a French, Spanish or Portuguese manager, but if this is not the case the club should make an effort to help its players. With throwing ludicrous wages at those players I don't think it is too much to employ staff to help foreign players.

Probably not. But there seem to be a lot of people who blindly value 'effort' over everything else.

When the "everything else" is overshadowed by the lack of effort' date=' yes they do.[/quote']

And rightly so, it's about finding the right balance. Let me put it differently - there seem to be a lot of people who blindly value crunching tackles over an intelligent block or a good pass.

By the way, I wasn't defending Luque, I said in my first post int his thread that he's been poor and that it will be the best thing for all parties if he leaves as soon as possible.

Edited by Bombadil

Yes, where have I said that Luque has been brilliant for us? I just said he's shown flashes of how good he can be and in my view he hasnt been given enough time yet. Ive also accepted that at times he has been lazy but I stressed that it was only in a friendly and the whole team in general seemed lathargic.

About the goal, the whole of it was brilliant. If you fail to see the artistry in it then I can see why you think luque is so useless. It was a goal out of nothing, the setup, the finish, they were perfect. But I know most people here would prefer to see a long range strike from Gerrard or a thumping header from Crouch. What Luque did was just different class, its this failure to understand that that has often led to England's downfall. Hardwork, committment are very important but they wont be enough without flair and true talent.

Yes, where have I said that Luque has been brilliant for us? I just said he's shown flashes of how good he can be and in my view he hasnt been given enough time yet. Ive also accepted that at times he has been lazy but I stressed that it was only in a friendly and the whole team in general seemed lathargic.

About the goal, the whole of it was brilliant. If you fail to see the artistry in it then I can see why you think luque is so useless. It was a goal out of nothing, the setup, the finish, they were perfect. But I know most people here would prefer to see a long range strike from Gerrard or a thumping header from Crouch. What Luque did was just different class, its this failure to understand that that has often led to England's downfall. Hardwork, committment are very important but they wont be enough without flair and true talent.

176471[/snapback]

Ah, so you're the one with the prejudice problem. What about the people who don't agree with you who aren't English?

Can you try and explain the technical aspects of why Luque's goal was so good? I know it's hard to dumb it down to my level, but I would really love to understand. You can find the goal on youtube.com if you're having difficulty remembering.

Edited by DotBum

176471[/snapback]

Ah, so you're the one with the prejudice problem. What about the people who don't agree with you who aren't English?

Can you try and explain the technical aspects of why Luque's goal was so good? I know it's hard to dumb it down to my level, but I would really love to understand. You can find the goal on youtube.com if you're having difficulty remembering.

176475[/snapback]

Prejudice problem?? ;) I am merely pointing out what I think your teams weakness is. England lacked flair and skill in the world cup, and they have for sometime now. Its the seeming inability to understand what flair and skill really is, and that sometimes mere hardwork is not enough and needs to be supplemented with natural talent.

I think I pretty much explained why luques goal was so good in my last post but i'll try again. The way he stopped the ball, went past the defender and finished it requires technical ability that noone else at our club and most other people at other premier league clubs dont have.

Prejudice problem?? :) I am merely pointing out what I think your teams weakness is. England lacked flair and skill in the world cup, and they have for sometime now. Its the seeming inability to understand what flair and skill really is, and that sometimes mere hardwork is not enough and needs to be supplemented with natural talent.

I think I pretty much explained why luques goal was so good in my last post but i'll try again. The way he stopped the ball, went past the defender and finished it requires technical ability that noone else at our club and most other people at other premier league clubs dont have.

176488[/snapback]

My team's problem is we're shit tbh, for which I partly blame the FAI and partly genetics.

If you had a true understanding of what made Luque's goal so "great", you would find it easier to describe in technical terms. I actually agree with some of the general points you're putting across, but I can't be bothered to discuss it with you properly, as I made pretty clear early on, because I think you're a moron, so I think I'll just jeep laughing at you instead.

Thanks for the entertainment, though. ;)

Guest Patrokles

It does my head in when people wax lyrical about artistry on a football pitch. It's 90% instinct. Yes, there are sublimely gifted players, but they don't receive a pass and then ponder, stroking their chin, about how best to paint flashes of class over the canvas of the pitch.

It does my head in when people wax lyrical about artistry on a football pitch. It's 90% instinct. Yes, there are sublimely gifted players, but they don't receive a pass and then ponder, stroking their chin, about how best to paint flashes of class over the canvas of the pitch.

176497[/snapback]

The instinct is also very much down to routine and training just like with other artists (like musicians for example). I saw a documentary about Ronaldinho ahead of the World Cup. Ronaldinho apparently has footballs all over his house so that when he gets the idea for a new trick he can immidiately start trying it. He then spends hours to turn it into perfection. Using those tricks and making the right decisions in a fraction of time is as much artistry to me as a violinist playing the right tones he practiced for ages.

Guest Patrokles

176497[/snapback]

The instinct is also very much down to routine and training just like with other artists (like musicians for example). I saw a documentary about Ronaldinho ahead of the World Cup. Ronaldinho apparently has footballs all over his house so that when he gets the idea for a new trick he can immidiately start trying it. He then spends hours to turn it into perfection. Using those tricks and making the right decisions in a fraction of time is as much artistry to me as a violinist playing the right tones he practiced for ages.

176515[/snapback]

It's a fair point, but I was referring more to the notion that in a match situation, players consciously think of the most aesthetically pleasing way to put the ball in the net.

Prejudice problem?? :) I am merely pointing out what I think your teams weakness is. England lacked flair and skill in the world cup, and they have for sometime now. Its the seeming inability to understand what flair and skill really is, and that sometimes mere hardwork is not enough and needs to be supplemented with natural talent.

176488[/snapback]

My team's problem is we're shit tbh, for which I partly blame the FAI and partly genetics.

If you had a true understanding of what made Luque's goal so "great", you would find it easier to describe in technical terms. I actually agree with some of the general points you're putting across, but I can't be bothered to discuss it with you properly, as I made pretty clear early on, because I think you're a moron, so I think I'll just jeep laughing at you instead.

Thanks for the entertainment, though. ;)

176489[/snapback]

All you seem to do on here is make one line comments about posts or the people who made them, so im not surprised you dont 'bother' to discuss it properly. You seem pretty incapable of doing so. Other people probably think im just as crazy for posting this thread as you do, but they've presented their points and debated forcefully. You on the other hand, have just been picking up on what they've said and chip in with a bitchy comment every now and again. I might have a couple of strange ideas, but in all honestly you are the moron.

Ive said everything I could have about luque, its clear 99% of you dont agree with me. Finally, i would just like to summarise what ive been saying. Luque has NOT been great for us, and im not saying he will be. But i think he's got the ability to be and we are wrong to pass this judgement at this moment.

"Oh no, it is in fact you who are the moron!"

Genius, do you mind if I use that?

You are a child, right? As much of a mong as you are, I'd feel guilty about slagging off a child. ;)

Guest Patrokles

You are a child, right?  As much of a mong as you are, I'd feel guilty about slagging off a child. ;)

176625[/snapback]

Surely it's worse slagging off a mong? Bastard.

Surely it's worse slagging off a mong? Bastard.

176753[/snapback]

Put on the earth for our amusement, FACT!

As quite ably demonstrated by "I'm mad". ;)

You are a child, right?  As much of a mong as you are, I'd feel guilty about slagging off a child. ;)

176625[/snapback]

Im delighted to know that you can read the age from under my avatar, so you are not completely incompetent.

I will not get dragged into a war of abuse with you, you have proven yourself to be highly immature and yet you call me a child. I wont come down to your level, as cliched as that might sound.

Im just curious, is this just because Ive been defending Luque?? Exactly why the hatred??

As quite ably demonstrated by "I'm mad".

Good to see you spent your afternoon doing something constructive.

Edited by aimaad22

Partly because of your inability to form a rational thought, or debate with others, enhanced by your supercilious attitude over Luque's :) wonder goal :( , but mainly because you take it so personally, you twat! ;)

aimaad, I have to say, I find your claims that Luque's goal could only have been scored by him and one other player in the Premiership utterly preposterous. Did you see Riise's goal yesterday? How many players in the Premiership could have scored that? Ran with the ball past a couple of players and scored from outside the area. That's all Luque did.

Which Luque goal are we on about? The one against Lillestrom?

176908[/snapback]

Aye, only him and Henry could have scored it out of players in the Premiership apparently.

176914[/snapback]

Good goal but nothing special imo.

Did you see Riise's goal yesterday?  How many players in the Premiership could have scored that?  Ran with the ball past a couple of players and scored from outside the area.  That's all Luque did.

176906[/snapback]

Cudicini should have saved it as well. Well, I would have saved it.

Look, if you lot can't understand what was so special about Luque's goal, I'm not going to drag myself down to your IDIOT level to explain it! England couldn't win a bucket of SICK with your attitudes!

FACT-Nahasapeemapetilon.

Edited by DotBum

Did you see Riise's goal yesterday?  How many players in the Premiership could have scored that?  Ran with the ball past a couple of players and scored from outside the area.  That's all Luque did.

176906[/snapback]

Cudicini should have saved it as well. Well, I would have saved it.

176918[/snapback]

Get the fuck out of here!

If you had even got near it they'd be picking your head of the net along with the ball for you. ;)

I think he was joking like. It was a very good goal but to go all Alan Hansen, the 'keeper should have saved it and Riise ran 3/4 of the length of without being challenged.