Even more insulting than "Geordie women are dogs"

Gemmill

I'm extremely surprised he has come out and issued these statements. Firstly it clearly shows he's on the defensive, but he's basically saying 'this is the best we can do' which when you consider the woeful late attempt to get Huth and James Milner's hokey cokey up and down the M1, only seems to weaken Shepherd's opinion rating even further.

Another one of those occasions when silence would have been a better option. There's nothing in the statement that would change the mind of a fan who felt the tansfer window dealings have been mismanaged.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm hopeful that if some oil rich arab investors launch a takeover bid, fred will do the honourable thing and step aside.

191849[/snapback]

Well according to Bob Cass of the Sunday Mail, things could get interesting on the takeover front. Without typing in all the piece (my 1 finger typing is SO slow) he does say that the original first interested party, Polygon, have "given notice they plan to outbid their rivals from Jersey (Belgravia) and anybody else for that matter. The fly in the ointment, of course, is the immovable United fat twat (oops sorry, my finger slipped) chairman whose intransigence remains the biggest obstacle to any deal."

WHOEVER he aimed the comments at they were a fuckin insult PLAIN AND SIMPLE  and should NOT come from the Chairman and be aimed at any section of the company's clientel!!! :blink:  :blink:

191840[/snapback]

I dont think anyone bar Leazes would argue otherwise

191845[/snapback]

I'm not saying they aren't to some. I'm just saying that - I couldn't give a toss, I would rather this than someone who says the right thing to the press and runs the club with a penny pinching attitude down the plug like Bob Murray, Doug Ellis etc - like we had for decades ourselves - and also that he has it right, some fans ARE thick enough to have knee jerk reactions and expect the club to buy every single player that comes available. See my previous post, I can't be arsed to re-type it. I think the club HAVE strengthened the most important areas ie 2 forward players minimum and a left back, and if there is no money left, thats too bad, an accountant of all people should recognise that.

WHOEVER he aimed the comments at they were a fuckin insult PLAIN AND SIMPLE  and should NOT come from the Chairman and be aimed at any section of the company's clientel!!! :blink:  :blush:

191840[/snapback]

191845[/snapback]

I'm not saying they aren't to some. I'm just saying that - I couldn't give a toss, I would rather this than someone who says the right thing to the press and runs the club with a penny pinching attitude down the plug like Bob Murray, Doug Ellis etc - like we had for decades ourselves - and also that he has it right, some fans ARE thick enough to have knee jerk reactions and expect the club to buy every single player that comes available. See my previous post, I can't be arsed to re-type it. I think the club HAVE strengthened the most important areas ie 2 forward players minimum and a left back, and if there is no money left, thats too bad, an accountant of all people should recognise that.

191853[/snapback]

An inspired piece of business that like, Bernard on a free :blink:

WHOEVER he aimed the comments at they were a fuckin insult PLAIN AND SIMPLE  and should NOT come from the Chairman and be aimed at any section of the company's clientel!!! :blink:  :blush:

191840[/snapback]

191845[/snapback]

191853[/snapback]

191895[/snapback]

As I said, having spent the budget on 2 [hopefully] quality players [meaning Martins will hopefully be worth his fee] if there was no money left, we have to accept that. Unless you think we should have bought 4 or 5 distinctly average players with the money, which will get us absolutely nowhere because they won't be any better than the ones we already have, Luque apart, or not good enough for the club.

Quality is the name of the game. If Martins and Duff do what we want, then you simply can't fault the transfers in, come next summer's budget - or earlier - we can get more money together and target the defenders then, and not before.

This is how it should be done, and/or how it will have to be done. It calls for good judgement, and a bit of luck with injuries as always.

Bear in mind if Owen is transferred for a good fee, then we will need to use the money to replace him, for someone who actually plays, and we might have some extra money left to go for this defender in that event.

You can't spend what isn't there, and I am happy with how they have spent their money - assuming Martins is a success, if not then we are in shit street again. And if he is a flop it might actually have a good side which would be to make idiots who harp on all the time about expensive foreigners think twice about the risks they involve.

I am simply amazed at the amount of people [dopes?] on here, who STILL think we have a bottomless pit of money.

Edited by LeazesMag

Perhaps our timing was wrong. If we had signed Damien Duff or Oba Martins on transfer deadline day our fans would have been dancing in the street.

In other words, "Our fans are idiots. All I need to do is give them big money signings and they will be blind to everything else." I missed this yesterday, but that's how low his opinion is of the fans' intelligence. :blink:

191776[/snapback]

the truth hurts.

He's right again, the truth hurts. Some fans are idiots. Sign a quality player and its a PR stunt, sign a journeyman and the club lacks ambition and is shite, seems to be the order of the day and the attitude of many.

191808[/snapback]

Are you related to fatty by any chance ?, most of us on here have a brain and a common interest in seeing our club doing well, yes expectations are high, at the end of the day no club can survive without its fans, we know how important we are and we dont like having the piss took out of us.

191840[/snapback]

191845[/snapback]

191853[/snapback]

191895[/snapback]

As I said, having spent the budget on 2 [hopefully] quality players [meaning Martins will hopefully be worth his fee] if there was no money left, we have to accept that. Unless you think we should have bought 4 or 5 distinctly average players with the money, which will get us absolutely nowhere because they won't be any better than the ones we already have, Luque apart, or not good enough for the club.

Quality is the name of the game. If Martins and Duff do what we want, then you simply can't fault the transfers in, come next summer's budget - or earlier - we can get more money together and target the defenders then, and not before.

This is how it should be done, and/or how it will have to be done. It calls for good judgement, and a bit of luck with injuries as always.

Bear in mind if Owen is transferred for a good fee, then we will need to use the money to replace him, for someone who actually plays, and we might have some extra money left to go for this defender in that event.

You can't spend what isn't there, and I am happy with how they have spent their money - assuming Martins is a success, if not then we are in shit street again. And if he is a flop it might actually have a good side which would be to make idiots who harp on all the time about expensive foreigners think twice about the risks they involve.

I am simply amazed at the amount of people [dopes?] on here, who STILL think we have a bottomless pit of money.

191928[/snapback]

If they indicated that after signing of Martins and Duff that there was little if any money i think ost fans would accept it, they wouldnt be delighted but as you say we would have no choice, but that wasnt the case, Roeder indicated there would be 2-3 more quality signings. In short they lied and took the piss, thats why everyone apart from you is fucking sick.

Perhaps our timing was wrong. If we had signed Damien Duff or Oba Martins on transfer deadline day our fans would have been dancing in the street.

In other words, "Our fans are idiots. All I need to do is give them big money signings and they will be blind to everything else." I missed this yesterday, but that's how low his opinion is of the fans' intelligence. :blush:

191776[/snapback]

the truth hurts.

He's right again, the truth hurts. Some fans are idiots. Sign a quality player and its a PR stunt, sign a journeyman and the club lacks ambition and is shite, seems to be the order of the day and the attitude of many.

191808[/snapback]

Are you related to fatty by any chance ?, most of us on here have a brain and a common interest in seeing our club doing well, yes expectations are high, at the end of the day no club can survive without its fans, we know how important we are and we dont like having the piss took out of us.

191943[/snapback]

Once again, we have been one of the top spenders in the summer. Fact. Despite - in your opinion - having a shit board :blink:

I don't think you have a brain at all, I just think you don't have a mind of your own, like others. Anyone with a brain can see the club had to cap its spending. And has targetted the right areas - ie 2 forward players minimum and will accept that short term buys became necessary for other positions. The alternative being bringing in forwards no better than what we have, unless you are cretin enough to think we could go through the season with Ameobi and Luque.

Think about your own phrase "expectations are high"...why is that if we have a shite board do you think :blink: what a clown.

Before this board, we had precisely zero expectation, half the "fans" we have now, and we certainly DID get the piss taken out of us for being absolutely nowhere, struggling in the 2nd division, selling our best players and being regularly beaten by teams like Rotherham. And I can say this with conviction that it is correct, because I was there.

In other words, "Our fans are idiots. All I need to do is give them big money signings and they will be blind to everything else." I missed this yesterday, but that's how low his opinion is of the fans' intelligence. :blush:

191776[/snapback]

the truth hurts.

191808[/snapback]

191943[/snapback]

Once again, we have been one of the top spenders in the summer. Fact. Despite - in your opinion - having a shit board :blink:

I don't think you have a brain at all, I just think you don't have a mind of your own, like others. Anyone with a brain can see the club had to cap its spending. And has targetted the right areas - ie 2 forward players minimum and will accept that short term buys became necessary for other positions. The alternative being bringing in forwards no better than what we have, unless you are cretin enough to think we could go through the season with Ameobi and Luque.

Think about your own phrase "expectations are high"...why is that if we have a shite board do you think :blink: what a clown.

Before this board, we had precisely zero expectation, half the "fans" we have now, and we certainly DID get the piss taken out of us for being absolutely nowhere, struggling in the 2nd division, selling our best players and being regularly beaten by teams like Rotherham. And I can say this with conviction that it is correct, because I was there.

191948[/snapback]

Are you reading my post or one from outer space, where do i mention the word BOARD, i said we dont like being lied to, are you pissed or are you a bit dim

191776[/snapback]

the truth hurts.

191808[/snapback]

191943[/snapback]

191948[/snapback]

Are you reading my post or one from outer space, where do i mention the word BOARD, i said we dont like being lied to, are you pissed or are you a bit dim

191950[/snapback]

whats the matter son, why are you swearing and starting abuse ? Are you realising you are losing ? What is your experience of the club to say you believe we are doing badly enough to have the piss taken out of us ? By whom ?

And who is lying to you, when they have spent 15m quid on top of the 50m they handed the last manager ? What are your expectations for the club ? How much money do you think the club has ?

Get a mind of your own is my advice

I don't think you have a brain at all, I just think you don't have a mind of your own, like others. Anyone with a brain can see the club had to cap its spending. And has targetted the right areas - ie 2 forward players minimum and will accept that short term buys became necessary for other positions.  The alternative being bringing in forwards no better than what we have, unless you are cretin enough to think we could go through the season with Ameobi and Luque. 

Of course we couldn't have advocate another summer with the excessive levels experienced last summer, there simply isn't the cash.

What concerns me is the lack of forward planning. The fact we've gone for some short-term deals tells it all- we only think short term.

The striker situation has been worsened by Ameobi's injury, one which has plaugued him for some time yet for whatever reason we have decided to just rest it and hope it gets better.

You may think that 'two forwards' was the required transfers but I (and I suspect others) would have proposed a left-back and an experienced centre-half in there as well. Given the way our defence started in the early games, we should have been aware that reinforcements were required. Instead we are going into the season with our fingers crossed.

Of course no-one wants us to splash out more than we can affort on a stream of big-name players. Anyway, that is SO 2005.

I don't think you have a brain at all, I just think you don't have a mind of your own, like others. Anyone with a brain can see the club had to cap its spending. And has targetted the right areas - ie 2 forward players minimum and will accept that short term buys became necessary for other positions.  The alternative being bringing in forwards no better than what we have, unless you are cretin enough to think we could go through the season with Ameobi and Luque.  

Of course we couldn't have advocate another summer with the excessive levels experienced last summer, there simply isn't the cash.

What concerns me is the lack of forward planning. The fact we've gone for some short-term deals tells it all- we only think short term.

The striker situation has been worsened by Ameobi's injury, one which has plaugued him for some time yet for whatever reason we have decided to just rest it and hope it gets better.

You may think that 'two forwards' was the required transfers but I (and I suspect others) would have proposed a left-back and an experienced centre-half in there as well. Given the way our defence started in the early games, we should have been aware that reinforcements were required. Instead we are going into the season with our fingers crossed.

Of course no-one wants us to splash out more than we can affort on a stream of big-name players. Anyway, that is SO 2005.

191957[/snapback]

What exactly do you mean by "long term" ie what do you refer to ? Football is all about the short term, it is defined by results. A bad run of results, and the consequence of losing the players or faith of fans, and the manager gets sacked, making any long term plan irrelevant.

People are moaning on about Shearer taking over as manager in the future. I haven't got a clue if this is good or bad, but its a plan. Isn't it ?

The club HAVE actually bought young players with the long term in mind. People are criticising buying Duff, but he is versatile, is quality and most certainly is a long term proposition given his age and the length of his contract, possibly the long term replacement for Solano. Martins if successful, has signed a long term contract, most of our signing have.

On the business side, expanding the ground and opening the training complex are both huge long term innovations, correct ?

We may differ about the need for defenders, slightly, I know we needed at least one defender, but I think the more pressing need was forward players and reluctantly have to accept because we spent our budget [and more I suspect] it will have to wait. I would rather do this than bring in more players who simply aren't good enough as our prime targets, this is the only way to go about building a good and hopefully successfully side. Quality has to come first.

I am basing this on Martins being good enough for what we want. If not then its more money down the plug ...... :blink:

An inspired piece of business that like, Bernard on a free  :blink:

191895[/snapback]

191928[/snapback]

Im not one of those that thinks we have a bottomless pit of cash. What this thread is about though is Freds blatant disregard for the fans. Comments such as this show what he thinks of us (you included). Duff I believe is a quality signing, Martins may or may not be, time will tell. However we needed the defence strengthening and as has been said before, if we only had 15 or so million to spend then we shouldnt have blown it on two signings. Cole went to Portsmouth for 500k, we know what he can do, we could have had him, other names mentioned in this thread would have created a strong squad for the price of Duff. For me, Duff and 4 or 5 of those others would have been a better way to spend 15 million.

More importantly though and back on track, is the way Shepherd uses the media as his mouthpiece telling us two days before the deadline that we are nailed on for 2 or 3 quality signings. Why do that? why not just say, we've signed Martins and Duff and now we're skint?

Valid point with regards to the training ground and stadium. For example, the financing of the stadium being structured so that the additional seats sold would cover the servicing of the debt.

However I don't beleive that sort of planning has been applied to transfer policy. One of the real problems we had with Souness as manager (and I don't want to sidetrack the thread too much) was that we knew he wouldn't be here long anyway, as he was a square peg in a round hole. While Roeder's NUFC background and the fact he's actually a decent human being make him more bearable as the clubs manager do you really see him here next season? I can't see it. Why leave everything until after the World Cup? Should we not have been doing the direct opposite considering our Intertoto involvement?

What people would like is for some consistency between what eminates from the club and reality. I for one feel a little short changed. Numerically Roeder may have secured his '5 or 6' players but his list when he said that will bear little resemblance to the actual recruitment, with probably only Martins possibly in mind.

The thing that rankles with me in what Shepherd says is this belief that spending money is measure of acheivement or success. I look around and see clubs getting half decent players for nothing or next to nothing and can't help feel they'd have been worth a gamble. Does he really think this? If we can fix a problem for £2m not £5m then wonderful- that's never been in question.

It seems he has perceived criticism of the club's activites as unhappiness of a lack of big names- when this simply is not the case. In Duff and Martins we have signed players with good reputations both in the UK and across Europe. On a serious business note, the board should be getting a better grasp on what their customers are thinking and not assume that they know best all the time.

i'm hopeful that if some oil rich arab investors launch a takeover bid, fred will do the honourable thing and step aside.

191849[/snapback]

Well according to Bob Cass of the Sunday Mail, things could get interesting on the takeover front. Without typing in all the piece (my 1 finger typing is SO slow) he does say that the original first interested party, Polygon, have "given notice they plan to outbid their rivals from Jersey (Belgravia) and anybody else for that matter. The fly in the ointment, of course, is the immovable United fat twat (oops sorry, my finger slipped) chairman whose intransigence remains the biggest obstacle to any deal."

191851[/snapback]

Well then, it's down to the fans to make Fat Fred's life as difficult as possible until he sells up. I say we start with a petrol bombing of all Greggs in the NE and lynching his boyfriend Lezes Mag.

191849[/snapback]

191851[/snapback]

Well then, it's down to the fans to make Fat Fred's life as difficult as possible until he sells up. I say we start with a petrol bombing of all Greggs in the NE and lynching his boyfriend Lezes Mag.

191985[/snapback]

silly boy. You should be posting on cartoon network.

Matt - I will answer your post tomorrow as its a proper discussion and I/we will have more time.

My first impression is that he knows he makes mistakes but tries to do his best for the club and is prepared to take risks for the good of the club. Which cannot be underestimated, many others don't at other clubs, nor did his predecessors. I do agree that there were one or two players available for fairly small fees who would have been good value buys, Jason Roberts for one, but that is of course only my opinion on this player.

An inspired piece of business that like, Bernard on a free  :blink:

191895[/snapback]

191928[/snapback]

Im not one of those that thinks we have a bottomless pit of cash. What this thread is about though is Freds blatant disregard for the fans. Comments such as this show what he thinks of us (you included). Duff I believe is a quality signing, Martins may or may not be, time will tell. However we needed the defence strengthening and as has been said before, if we only had 15 or so million to spend then we shouldnt have blown it on two signings. Cole went to Portsmouth for 500k, we know what he can do, we could have had him, other names mentioned in this thread would have created a strong squad for the price of Duff. For me, Duff and 4 or 5 of those others would have been a better way to spend 15 million.

More importantly though and back on track, is the way Shepherd uses the media as his mouthpiece telling us two days before the deadline that we are nailed on for 2 or 3 quality signings. Why do that? why not just say, we've signed Martins and Duff and now we're skint?

191964[/snapback]

I'll reply to this tomorrow as well mate, it;s late. Firstly I don't take any notice of what he says. I realise he is just talking up the club, there is nothing wrong with that. We all do it. If you have a job interview, or are trying to sell something, you do the same. He might talk shite sometimes, but so what ? Ignore it. ... its the team that counts. And yes we know Alan Oliver is an idiot, and a yes man.

Bed is calling ..........

Just a note on the amount we have spent.

£15m ???

Err, surely it's more like £9m - net ??

£500k for Chopra, £2m for Faye & £ 3.3m for Boumsong.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this, as I would hate to think I wasn't giving Portly Freddie the credit he deserves.

Just a note on the amount we have spent.

£15m ???

Err, surely it's more like £9m - net ??

£500k for Chopra, £2m for Faye & £ 3.3m for Boumsong.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this, as I would hate to think I wasn't giving Portly Freddie the credit he deserves.

192005[/snapback]

No, you're right, it's about £9m net, less if you include the £1.7m we got in March for Hugo Viana, which you probably should seeing as I don't think that deal would actually have become official until the window re-opened.

Edited by Wullie

I'll reply to this tomorrow as well mate, it;s late. Firstly I don't take any notice of what he says. I realise he is just talking up the club, there is nothing wrong with that. We all do it. If you have a job interview, or are trying to sell something, you do the same. He might talk shite sometimes, but so what ? Ignore it. ... its the team that counts. And yes we know Alan Oliver is an idiot, and a yes man.

Bed is calling  ..........

191998[/snapback]

But why talk up the club? there's no need to do it at transfer time and frankly its silly to do it when you have players to offload. Tell your rivals that you're after some world class players when you're trying to flog them one and they'll push their luck on the price, they know you need the cash and dont need the player so you have to get rid. You've automatically created your own problems. Buyers market and all that jazz.

This is what gets me, its the way Fred does it, its the fact that he feels the need to do what you call "bigging the club up" and I call "lying to try and appease the fans". There wasnt a need for it, if he or Glenn had come out and said "Thats us done, no more major signings this window" then I'd have thought "you're taking the piss mate, we need to strengthen" but at least I wouldnt have felt like they were taking us for fools.

Can see this being another 20+ pager. Leazes will have the 'answers' prepared already tbh.

As for Shepherd, it's one thing thinking the fans are stupid (as many are) it's another thing to come out and say what he did. Ever the diplomat, eh?

It's been pretty obvious from early on that Shepherd couldn't give two shits about the fans, as long as they're paying the money. When he ballsed up big time by letting slip that he couldn't give a shit, he got out the Geordie Nation marketing plan to try and guilt trip the guilable. A majority of fans are now coming round to the fact he's taking the piss, he doesn't need to remind us.