Hammond 'critically injured' in crash

Craig

Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond is in a critical condition in hospital after a crash in a jet-powered car while filming for the programme.

The presenter, 36, was taken by air ambulance to a Leeds hospital which has a special neurological unit.

A North Yorkshire Ambulance Service spokesman said he was unconscious when they got to the scene but was regaining consciousness at the hospital.

A BBC spokesman confirmed the presenter had been injured during a shoot.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_y...ire/5365676.stm

:gay: Get well soon Richard...

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Gear Man In Crash

Updated: 21:00, Wednesday September 20, 2006

Richard Hammond, one of the presenters of TV's Top Gear programme, is reportedly in critical condition following a car crash.

Mr Hammond was hurt while filming an edition of the show and taken to Leeds General Infirmary.

He was reportedly trying to set a new land speed record for England in a jet-powered Vampire car when it overturned.

Mr Hammond was said to have been reaching speeds of up to 280mph as the accident happened.

Firefighter Dave Ogden, who witnessed the crash, told Sky News that the 36-year-old presenter was able to speak as he was taken out of the wreckage of the car.

Inspector Mike Thompson, of North Yorkshire Police, said officers were dealing with the incident at the airfield northeast of York where the filming was taking place.

He said: "At 5.45pm this evening we received a report via the fire service of a male person trapped in what was described as an overturned jet car which had been driven on the airfield.

"The male occupant has received serious injuries and has been airlifted to hospital at Leeds."

A spokeswoman for the BBC, which produces Top Gear, said: "The incident happened quite recently and the focus of our attention is on Richard at this stage."

Mr Hammond, who lives near Cheltenham with his wife Amanda and their two daughters, has also presented Sky's Brainiac and shows including Time Commanders and Petrolheads.

More follows ...

God, that's awful news. I've recently been reading his articles in one of the papers and he comes across as a lovely bloke. He's also got a young kiddie iirc. Wishing him all the best...

EDIT

Didn't read the article properly - he's got 2 little'uns..

Edited by catmag

I don't want to go all Germaine Greer but surely good drivers that they are they are still amateurs. Speeds like that should be F1 professionals territory.

Hope he makes it though.

F1 cars max out at about 210mph, or that seems to be the fastest they get to on the circuits. 280 is psycho airforce pilot speeds.

I don't want to go all Germaine Greer but surely good drivers that they are they are still amateurs. Speeds like that should be F1 professionals territory.

Hope he makes it though.

F1 cars max out at about 210mph, or that seems to be the fastest they get to on the circuits. 280 is psycho airforce pilot speeds.

I just meant in terms of driving ability - I'm sure Schumacher could cope better than Hammond is all I'm saying - even if it wasn't driver error the ability to deal with a crash would make the difference surely?

Hope he makes it though.

I just meant in terms of driving ability - I'm sure Schumacher could cope better than Hammond is all I'm saying - even if it wasn't driver error the ability to deal with a crash would make the difference surely?

At that speed from an engineering point of view anything could have happened !!

Lets just wish the bloke well rather than arguing the toss over stuff we honestly don't know.

...even if it wasn't driver error the ability to deal with a crash would make the difference surely?

How do you "deal" with a car flipping at 280mph? :gay: Whether it was Schumacher, Hammond or me driving it, we're all going to sustain horrific injuries.

This is going to sound really morbid and horrible but a friend of mine was knocked down by a car and hit the back of her head on a lamp-post. The force was enough to leave her brain-dead and she ended up having her life-support switched off after a week. Fuck only knows what kind of trauma Hammond has sustained in this accident.

...even if it wasn't driver error the ability to deal with a crash would make the difference surely?

How do you "deal" with a car flipping at 280mph? :gay: Whether it was Schumacher, Hammond or me driving it, we're all going to sustain horrific injuries.

This is going to sound really morbid and horrible but a friend of mine was knocked down by a car and hit the back of her head on a lamp-post. The force was enough to leave her brain-dead and she ended up having her life-support switched off after a week. Fuck only knows what kind of trauma Hammond has sustained in this accident.

That's what's really concerning. It's not so much the crash, but the trauma the body goes through as part of the deceleration process. I hate to consider the G forces he's undergone! <_<

Guest Toplass-101

That's what's really concerning. It's not so much the crash, but the trauma the body goes through as part of the deceleration process. I hate to consider the G forces he's undergone! <_<

ooh what a horrible thought, hope he will be ok <_<

They've just said on the BBC News that the remains of the car was in 'many pieces' all over the runway. Sky News suggesting that the parachute which they use to slow down such high-powered vehicles may have failed to deploy...

Sky News now reporting him as "stable" apparently

Come on Hamster :gay:

Well that's promising....

Was hopeful that it might not be as bad as they said he regained conciousness when he got to hospital. The more details that come through, the more grave the situation it seems - hope this is a sign that things are looking better though.