Hammond 'critically injured' in crash

Craig

Sky sources understand that Top Gear co-presenter James May had been due to drive Vampire but pulled out ahead of the event.

Somehow think that's bollocks. No way would Captain Slow even go near that car.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Gear was really dull before it's format change and it's went on to be probably the best show on the bbc. If the hamster pulls through, neither he, Clarkson or May will be happy to dumb it down.

BBC won't want to lose the viewers due to a minority. No doubt it was pre-scrutinised anyway and if said report finds nothing, I don't see how BBC can dumb it down.

Erm, I think that is somewhat debatable.

Can't name anything that the BBC produce that is better at the minute tbh

Ok, what about Extras then?

At the end of the day you presumably like Top Gear because you're into cars which is fair enough. But outside the demographic of young men and adolescents, I doubt there is much appeal for Top Gear. I'll watch it if there's nowt else on, but generally find it a bit contrived for my liking and I'm not really interested in hearing about a car I could never afford and even if I could I'd never buy.

I'm really fucking shaken by this, I can't say how gutted I am. Top Gear is a brilliant show and Clarkson, May and Hammond are top presenters.

Get well soon Hamster :gay:

I like May and Hammond hope the little guy comes through. Clarkson is a back stabbing shit who got BBC to cancel top gear and get rid of the other presenters and then bring it back with him as the star controlling things. God forbid he crosses the road while Tiff Needel is driving on it.

He didn't really get them to cancel it. He left to do chat shows, Clarkson's Motorworld etc. and the viewing figures plummeted so it got cancelled. When C5 wanted to buy the rights to it, Clarkson's TV career had just about went tits up so he came up with the revamped edition. BBC kept Top Gear, C5 came up with Fifth Gear and the rest is history.

Just had word, the Hamster's dead! RIP

The bairn will be gutted, she's only had it a couple of months!

:gay:<_<

You're going straight to hell for that one.

Seemingly the racesuit he was wearing at the time is now up on eBay, the ad says its not been signed but the gusset has been "autographed".

TAXI!!!!!

ps Hope he pulls through, nice fella.

:good: I hope he's all right, seems a top bloke, bet he'd rather be doing that job and taking the risk than pretty much anything else, though.

I like all of the presenters and think Top Gear and Extras are top-notch. I'm not sure everyone in the UK realise how lucky they are with the quality of the BBC.

Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond has suffered a "significant brain injury" after crashing a jet-powered car at speeds of up to 300mph during filming.

Doctors at Leeds General Infirmary said they were "reasonably optimistic" the 36-year-old would make a good recovery.

The BBC, which is likely to face close scrutiny, has begun an inquiry. The police and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) are also investigating.

Event organisers insisted that proper safety precautions were taken.

Hammond's father, Alan, was reported to be looking after the presenter's two daughters. He told the Evening Standard newspaper he was "just hoping Richard pulls through".

"At the moment we are not sure if he is going to live or die. His children are very confused," he said.

Hammond's wife Mindy was at his bedside in the Leeds hospital and he was also visited by Top Gear co-hosts Jeremy Clarkson and James May.

Referring to Hammond by his nickname, Clarkson said in statement: "Both James and I are looking forward to getting our 'hamster' back."

The presenter had been driving a jet-powered dragster similar to the Vampire - used by Colin Fallows to set the British land speed record of 300.3mph.

Primetime Land Speed Engineering, which is jointly run by Fallows, organised the event.

A spokesman for the firm said the vehicle Hammond was driving "had been prepared and was being operated to the highest of standards".

Keith King, an inspector for the HSE, said it was a "very unusual case", adding that the executive would look at the preparation and planning of the event and contingencies for an emergency.

Meanwhile, Supt Martin Deacon of North Yorkshire police, said his officers would initially focus on the road and the vehicle.

On Thursday afternoon, the dragster was lifted on to the back of a lorry and taken away for forensic examination at an undisclosed location.

The BBC said in a statement that it had begun an investigation into the accident and promised full co-operation with the HSE.

"We continue to be concerned about [Hammond's] condition and we are keeping in touch with his family," the statement said.

Top Gear has courted controversy in the past over its big-budget car stunts, and in 1999 a group of MPs criticised the series for being "obsessed with acceleration and speed".

Last year, lobby group Transport 2000 called for the show to be taken off the air accusing it of "glamorising speed and failing to make the connection with danger on the roads".

At the time, Hammond defended the programme, saying: "Top Gear is an entertaining show, for people that are interested in cars, that is driven by people who have been motoring journalists for many, many years."

Hammond had to be cut free from the car on Wednesday evening after eyewitnesses at the Elvington airfield near York described how he "veered off to the right" and the car's parachutes were deployed.

A website set up for well-wishers to make donations to the Yorkshire Air Ambulance, which airlifted Hammond to hospital, has so far raised more than £4,000.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_y...ire/5367616.stm

I hope that for the sake of everyone connected with the Hamster that he pulls through and indeed does have a good recovery, but particularly for those two young kids - they must wonder what the hell is going on.... :good: