What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

4 hours ago, Gemmill said:

It's a Digital Audio Workstation, which is a recording studio in your laptop cos nobody uses tape anymore. In this case it's a maximum of 8 tracks. So it's basically the 21st century equivalent of when kids used to have Tascam 4 and 8 tracks to record their bands onto cassettrs in the 80s/90s, and possibly earlier, I wouldn't know :lol:

Ableton has sort of a unique setup called Session View which lends itself to DJ stuff too, which is why I thought Gloom might be interested, but you can also record normal instruments (guitars) into it, and there's loads of places online where you can get drum loops and stuff and build out songs. 

You need a half decent laptop (8gb ram) for it not to just kill your computer, and if you're wanting to plug a guitar in you need an audio interface (think external sound card that is much better than the one that comes with your laptop), which you can get for less than a hundred quid. Once you've got an audio interface you can plug keys and all sorts through that and record on to your computer. 

It comes with a sampler too so you can (for example) chop up drum tracks into individual hits and then create your own drum track by stitching the sample clips back together. Like the old school hip hop lot would do. 

Or you can just drop multiple MP3s into different tracks and make your own Wham megamixes. :lol:

Anyway, it's free to a good home cos I've ended up getting two activation codes for it but I've already got Ableton anyway. 

First time I used one was this software called Reaper and I couldn't fucking believe that you could do this stuff in your own computer. 

Nice one. 
Sorry about the late reply but after I posted I was off in to the Great Wilderness north of Coldstream, where mobile connectivity mean’s glueing yourself to a horse. 

I’ll have a word with Fist Jnr when I get home in half an hour. 
He’s got the guitars, drums and a keyboard ( just need to introduce him to the Dark Arts of Bass), so it sound a right up his straße! 

If there’s still one going spare I’ll give you a shout in a bit? 

1 minute ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Nice one. 
Sorry about the late reply but after I posted I was off in to the Great Wilderness north of Coldstream, where mobile connectivity mean’s glueing yourself to a horse. 

I’ll have a word with Fist Jnr when I get home in half an hour. 
He’s got the guitars, drums and a keyboard ( just need to introduce him to the Dark Arts of Bass), so it sound a right up his straße! 

If there’s still one going spare I’ll give you a shout in a bit? 

Of course aye, it's all yours if he's interested. 👍

5 hours ago, Gemmill said:

It's a Digital Audio Workstation, which is a recording studio in your laptop cos nobody uses tape anymore. In this case it's a maximum of 8 tracks. So it's basically the 21st century equivalent of when kids used to have Tascam 4 and 8 tracks to record their bands onto cassettrs in the 80s/90s, and possibly earlier, I wouldn't know :lol:

Ableton has sort of a unique setup called Session View which lends itself to DJ stuff too, which is why I thought Gloom might be interested, but you can also record normal instruments (guitars) into it, and there's loads of places online where you can get drum loops and stuff and build out songs. 

You need a half decent laptop (8gb ram) for it not to just kill your computer, and if you're wanting to plug a guitar in you need an audio interface (think external sound card that is much better than the one that comes with your laptop), which you can get for less than a hundred quid. Once you've got an audio interface you can plug keys and all sorts through that and record on to your computer. 

It comes with a sampler too so you can (for example) chop up drum tracks into individual hits and then create your own drum track by stitching the sample clips back together. Like the old school hip hop lot would do. 

Or you can just drop multiple MP3s into different tracks and make your own Wham megamixes. :lol:

Anyway, it's free to a good home cos I've ended up getting two activation codes for it but I've already got Ableton anyway. 

First time I used one was this software called Reaper and I couldn't fucking believe that you could do this stuff in your own computer. 

Paul-Merson.thumb.jpg.626489e09a60cf1641947496e5882c31.jpg

• Haha 7

16 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Just spoken to him- was like a dog eating chips :lol:

So, that’s a “Yes Please!”

PM'd you! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...