What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

Oh dear.

Super Furry Animals - Songbook Volume 1

Listening to the slightly misleadingly titled greatest hits/ best of album that is songbook, it's difficult to see why the Furries aren't one of the best loved bands of the last ten years. While they're undoubtedly well liked there's some sniggerring mistrust of them among the indie kid community at large. They're seen as too wacky, too flippant, too un-serious, maybe even too weird. They make pure pop songs, they make sugar coated elevator music, they make ballads that turn into happy hardcore, they sing songs in Welsh, they're not really fitting in with anyone else's bandwagon. One listen to this album tells you a whole lot about this band's qualities and makes you wonder why you haven't been listening to them so much in the past ten years. Just listen to the sublime calypso of Northern Lights, the honey soaked guitars of Ice Hockey Hair or the odd hybrid of Slow Life. This is a band that more people really should be clutching to their breasts and it's still not too late since unlike just about every other band of their vintage, they're still putting out the good stuff (see also Supergrass).

Oh dear.

Super Furry Animals - Songbook Volume 1

Listening to the slightly misleadingly titled greatest hits/ best of album that is songbook, it's difficult to see why the Furries aren't one of the best loved bands of the last ten years. While they're undoubtedly well liked there's some sniggerring mistrust of them among the indie kid community at large. They're seen as too wacky, too flippant, too un-serious, maybe even too weird. They make pure pop songs, they make sugar coated elevator music, they make ballads that turn into happy hardcore, they sing songs in Welsh, they're not really fitting in with anyone else's bandwagon. One listen to this album tells you a whole lot about this band's qualities and makes you wonder why you haven't been listening to them so much in the past ten years. Just listen to the sublime calypso of Northern Lights, the honey soaked guitars of Ice Hockey Hair or the odd hybrid of Slow Life. This is a band that more people really should be clutching to their breasts and it's still not too late since unlike just about every other band of their vintage, they're still putting out the good stuff (see also Supergrass).

81047[/snapback]

Love your reviews. SFA passed me by "up their own arses" so I thought will revisit now on your recomendation.

Taj Mahal - Satisfied (Live & Acoustic)

Thanks Pilchard Chops, a little love keeps me going a long time and I'm sure you're right about that being another reason why they've been unfairly dismissed. Admittedly they have bowed to their own egos more than once but really how many great artists haven't? You'll love this collection I'm sure.