Tonights International Matches

JJ

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The formation didn't suit our players at all. Terry & Ferdinand were all at sea, Neville is a quality fullback backing up a winger but he hasn't got a clue how to play wingback, Carrick was a waste of space and Rooney and Crouch were awfull.

The only players who I couldn't slag off totally were Robinson (despite the own goal which was very unfortunate), Cole, Parker and Lampard (although he wasn't at his best).

With Rooney off his game we had no one to beat a man or create anything for us. Wright-Phillips should have started without any doubt and if Beckham isn't good enough to be in that squad I'll bare my arse in Fenwicks window.

We were well beaten by a much better organised and determined team tbh.

McClaren might well turn out to be one of England's worst ever managers!

The formation didn't suit our players at all. Terry & Ferdinand were all at sea, Neville is a quality fullback backing up a winger but he hasn't got a clue how to play wingback, Carrick was a waste of space and Rooney and Crouch were awfull.

The only players who I couldn't slag off totally were Robinson (despite the own goal which was very unfortunate), Cole, Parker and Lampard (although he wasn't at his best).

With Rooney off his game we had no one to beat a man or create anything for us. Wright-Phillips should have started without any doubt and if Beckham isn't good enough to be in that squad I'll bare my arse in Fenwicks window.

We were well beaten by a much better organised and determined team tbh.

McClaren might well turn out to be one of England's worst ever managers!

Not while Howard Wilkinson and Graham Taylor are alive.

I don't think conceding that kind of goal is unfortunate. It is unprofessional. If you have a bumpy pitch, you should anticipate that a ball could bounce. For the goalkeeper it means that he should stop the ball instead of trying to hit it first time. And Robinson was under no pressure.

I don't think conceding that kind of goal is unfortunate. It is unprofessional. If you have a bumpy pitch, you should anticipate that a ball could bounce. For the goalkeeper it means that he should stop the ball instead of trying to hit it first time. And Robinson was under no pressure.

Or... as one of the first few rules for a defender states: Your passbacks to the keeper shoudln't be on target!

Wha? <_<

I was badly trying to say he shouldn't be playing for England even without David Beckham.

Ah right. Nah, probably not. It was always just gonna be a matter of time before that scoring run of his stopped. But definitely without someone there swinging quality balls in, he's not good enough at this level.

True, but the perfection of the bobble was something else. It was as if a Croatian mole stuck its head out of its hole and flipped the ball perfectly over his foot.

Not a brilliant performance from our lads, especially in the second period but we got the result at the end of the day and our second win in the group (not a shock these days, all down to Sanchez) :good:

The main man, the legend, Sir David got the only goal in what was a sexy finish but indeed a mistake from the Latvia goalkeeper who maybe shouldn't of rushed out but oh well, his mistake and with David there he was always going to get punished. :)

Erm, Steve Davis should of added a second goal in the second half but the wanker of a linesman had the right to disallow it even know Kyle Lafferty was the one offside and NOT interfering with play. Should have counted. Both Linesman where pretty :woosh: tonight (useless at times)

Seven points from four games is pretty good return and we've totally forgot about the Iceland game now, which we lost three-nil at home - glad we have forgotten and moved on! <_<

EDIT: Forgot to add Aaron Hughes, Steven Craigan, Steve Davis, Kyle Lafferty, Chris Baird, Keef Gillespie, Maik Taylor, Jonny Evans and the rest where all immense (bar Feeney and Quinn who didn't have much time on the field)

Edited by Hughesie

It amused me during the world cup the received wisdom that it was only Sven and David Beckham holding us back from winning the World Cup.

Now we have an average team and a poor manager, if Rooney doesnt hit form at the right time we will struggle to qualify

Having said that, you thought taking Theo Walcott was a good idea :)

<_<

It amused me during the world cup the received wisdom that it was only Sven and David Beckham holding us back from winning the World Cup.

Now we have an average team and a poor manager, if Rooney doesnt hit form at the right time we will struggle to qualify

<_<

Did you see him on Tueasday night?

<_<

But Sven had no intention of using him, therefore it was a complete waste of time (and a daft idea) to take him. And he wasn't ready to go tbh.

<_<

That's not really the point though, did you see him at the World Cup? Eriksson should never have taken him if he wasn't going to play him.

<_<

But Sven had no intention of using him, therefore it was a complete waste of time (and a daft idea) to take him. And he wasn't ready to go tbh.

Would have much preferred to have Walcott come on than Defoe last night

That's a different issue though. I haven't seen enough of Theo yet to say. I don't read too much into U21 games either.

You started it <_<

Anyway Walcott aside at least Sven knew how to navigate a qualifying group, and being old enough to have lived through England regularly failing to qualify for major tournaments maybe I have a different perspective on the prospective ability of the national team

That's a different issue though. I haven't seen enough of Theo yet to say. I don't read too much into U21 games either.

You started it <_<

Anyway Walcott aside at least Sven knew how to navigate a qualifying group, and being old enough to have lived through England regularly failing to qualify for major tournaments maybe I have a different perspective on the prospective ability of the national team

Sven was great at qualifying for tournaments. His record was excellent in that regard. I think we had a chance at the last three tournaments though and he didn't quite have what it took to get us performing on the big stage for one reason or another. His biggest failing was probably being over cautious. People do tend to be over critical I suppose and expect too much but we had a good set of players at the last World Cup and our performances were dire. It's a bit early to stick the knife into Maclaren but then again, what has he ever done really? Having said that, the candidates weren't great (the English ones anyway). Personally though, I'd have gone for O'Neill.

The thing with Sven was that you always used to forgive him the crap performances on the basis that "it's the results that matter in qualifiers". But then every time we got to the finals we'd discover that he actually couldn't get good performances out of the players, and that we'd only been winning in the qualifiers because of how weak the opposition was.

Now we can't even win in the qualifiers. <_<

The thing with Sven was that you always used to forgive him the crap performances on the basis that "it's the results that matter in qualifiers". But then every time we got to the finals we'd discover that he actually couldn't get good performances out of the players, and that we'd only been winning in the qualifiers because of how weak the opposition was.

Now we can't even win in the qualifiers. <_<

I just think the players arent very good, certainly nowhere near the hype. He got enough out of them to get to the 1/4 finals, on last nights performance that seems quite an acheivement

English players are always completely overhyped like. I would say only Gerrard and Rooney are truly 'world class' and the latter is totally out of form.