Metallica

Toonraider

You're right, there are hundreds of different subgenre's, some of which are similar but many of which are so different they have little in common. And the level of creativity, technical ability, vocals and the like is great, but to the unenlightened like Gemmill/Renton <_< they think all metal is thrash metal or "cock rock" type stuff. But each to their own!

It's not so much that I think it's all thrash metal or cock rock, just that it's all noisy shit. :blush:

Oh baby, pleeeeeease... give a little respe-eeeecct... tooooooo-oooooo heavy metal

There's something not quite right about a gay man taking the piss out of me about Erasure. :blush:

While defending heavy metal? I'll admit it's not your everyday scenario... :)

You'll be talking about football next. :)

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right, there are hundreds of different subgenre's, some of which are similar but many of which are so different they have little in common. And the level of creativity, technical ability, vocals and the like is great, but to the unenlightened like Gemmill/Renton <_< they think all metal is thrash metal or "cock rock" type stuff. But each to their own!

It's not so much that I think it's all thrash metal or cock rock, just that it's all noisy shit. :blush:

Oh baby, pleeeeeease... give a little respe-eeeecct... tooooooo-oooooo heavy metal

There's something not quite right about a gay man taking the piss out of me about Erasure. :blush:

While defending heavy metal? I'll admit it's not your everyday scenario... :)

You'll be talking about football next. :)

And you'll be rattling on about which players have the sexiest legs. :angry:

You're right, there are hundreds of different subgenre's, some of which are similar but many of which are so different they have little in common. And the level of creativity, technical ability, vocals and the like is great, but to the unenlightened like Gemmill/Renton :) they think all metal is thrash metal or "cock rock" type stuff. But each to their own!

It's not so much that I think it's all thrash metal or cock rock, just that it's all noisy shit. <_<

I hate the fact it is so hackneyed and cliched. The guitars are used to ridiculous excess, killing the melody in the process, and the lyrics are banal and almost always stereotyped (can't think of a single good lyrical song). Then there's the utterly ridiculous 'look' that accompanies it. Ironically, metal fans also tend to be hugely arrogant about the value their music has, which is close to zero for most people.

And before anyone starts, I do not rate goth stuff now either, it's equally bollocks!

That is ridiculous. A truly uninformed comment. There are a lot of shit metal bands that do things badly, but thats the same for any genre of music. When metal is done well not only is it melodic, but some of the most amazingly technical music you'll get.

Dismissing metal as having 'zero value' and 'stereotyped' is poor IMO.

Metallica are stlll a great live band even if their studio releases have been less than great recently.

St. Anger is a brilliant album.

Trivium just don't come close IMO.

\m/ <_< \m/

What album were you listening to? :)

Where do you think i got my username from?

Awesome album.

Metallica are stlll a great live band even if their studio releases have been less than great recently.

St. Anger is a brilliant album.

Trivium just don't come close IMO.

\m/ <_< \m/

What album were you listening to? :)

Where do you think i got my username from?

Awesome album.

It's easily the worst album they've ever done. FACT!

What about Load/Reload though? Dodgy stuff.....

I quite like those. King Nothing, Until it sleeps, Hero of the day, Fuel, Memory Remains & Prince Charming are all ace tracks.

You're right, there are hundreds of different subgenre's, some of which are similar but many of which are so different they have little in common. And the level of creativity, technical ability, vocals and the like is great, but to the unenlightened like Gemmill/Renton :) they think all metal is thrash metal or "cock rock" type stuff. But each to their own!

It's not so much that I think it's all thrash metal or cock rock, just that it's all noisy shit. <_<

Then listen to metallica's fade to black, Sanatarium or the Unforgiven.

Then listen to metallica's fade to black, Sanatarium or the Unforgiven.

NO.

Anybody heard of opeth? Most skilled musicians ever :)

Do they do guitar solos that sound like this:

widdlywiddlywiddlywiddlywiddlywiddlywwooooOOoOoooooowiddlywiddlywiddlywiddlywiddly

Like Steve Vai and Joe Satriani's cobblers that everyone tries to tell me are masterpieces. If I could play the guitar that well, I'd do something other than fit as many notes into a minute as possible.

Anybody heard of opeth? Most skilled musicians ever <_<

widdlywiddlywiddlywiddlywiddlywiddlywwooooOOoOoooooowiddlywiddlywiddlywiddlywiddly

Like Steve Vai and Joe Satriani's cobblers that everyone tries to tell me are masterpieces. If I could play the guitar that well, I'd do something other than fit as many notes into a minute as possible.

Nah seriously, I reckon you'd like them.. Have a lot of mellow stuff and their tone is amazing. Best chill out band in the world :)

Try "ending credits" or "Windowpane" on for size :)

Guest Patrokles

Btw, you can't really call heavy metal a tried cliche unless you've listened to all the different sub-genres of it (and there's many). It's evolving all the time, even if a lot of the modern stuff in nu-metal and now metalcore is cack. Most diverse musical genre by a long way tbh.

That's nonsense. Heavy Metal, Metalcore & Nu-Metal are three completely separate genres. That'd be like me coming on here and saying 'well, rock music is a VERY DIVERSE genre, really.'

Shut up! Fuck you! You fuckin dick! Always ney saying everything I create! You piece of shit, you create something like inward singing! You fucking shit you fucking sit in your tower...

...and fucking nap.

Fuckin, fuck out fuckin... cock a-ass.

Guest Patrokles

I hate the fact it is so hackneyed and cliched. The guitars are used to ridiculous excess, killing the melody in the process, and the lyrics are banal and almost always stereotyped (can't think of a single good lyrical song). Then there's the utterly ridiculous 'look' that accompanies it. Ironically, metal fans also tend to be hugely arrogant about the value their music has, which is close to zero for most people.

And before anyone starts, I do not rate goth stuff now either, it's equally bollocks!

Somewhat unfairly dismissive of entire genres there.

Guest Patrokles

Ridiculous debate considering the anti-metal brigade are out purely for a wind-up and the pro-metallers are rabid in their defence.

Ridiculous debate considering the anti-metal brigade are out purely for a wind-up and the pro-metallers are rabid in their defence.

Patrokles mate - did you read the mixerman diaries in the link i posted?

i thought if anyone might appreciate that stuff it would be you.

Still cant work out who the band is though....

Guest Patrokles

Patrokles mate - did you read the mixerman diaries in the link i posted?

i thought if anyone might appreciate that stuff it would be you.

Still cant work out who the band is though....

I'll go have a look now, ta.

Shut up! Fuck you! You fuckin dick! Always ney saying everything I create! You piece of shit, you create something like inward singing! You fucking shit you fucking sit in your tower...

...and fucking nap.

Fuckin, fuck out fuckin... cock a-ass.

widdlywiddlyWOO!

Btw, you can't really call heavy metal a tried cliche unless you've listened to all the different sub-genres of it (and there's many). It's evolving all the time, even if a lot of the modern stuff in nu-metal and now metalcore is cack. Most diverse musical genre by a long way tbh.

That's nonsense. Heavy Metal, Metalcore & Nu-Metal are three completely separate genres. That'd be like me coming on here and saying 'well, rock music is a VERY DIVERSE genre, really.'

Erm, what are you trying to say? Metalcore is a type of metal. Nu-metal isn't, but is often considred metal by people who don't know much about metal, and is often the music people think of when they call it "noisy shit". Heavy metal tends to be used as just a general term for metal tbh, even if that is incorrect. Metal is a genre of music, just like rock, classical, jazz etc are. Metalcore is a sub-genre.

Renton I can't assume you know much about the genre from your responses.

As for Metallica, Ride The Lightning is their best album imo. Load/Reload/St Anger all have good songs, but aren't a shade on their 80s stuff. Black album is decent but not the best.

Guest Patrokles

Erm, what are you trying to say? Metalcore is a type of metal. Nu-metal isn't, but is often considred metal by people who don't know much about metal, and is often the music people think of when they call it "noisy shit". Heavy metal tends to be used as just a general term for metal tbh, even if that is incorrect. Metal is a genre of music, just like rock, classical, jazz etc are. Metalcore is a sub-genre.

Renton I can't assume you know much about the genre from your responses.

As for Metallica, Ride The Lightning is their best album imo. Load/Reload/St Anger all have good songs, but aren't a shade on their 80s stuff. Black album is decent but not the best.

What I'm trying to say is that you can apply the 'most diverse genre' to the other genres, too, and with far more credibility than with metal. For example, I could say 'Rock is very diverse. There is post-rock, math-rock, punk-rock, indie-rock, prog-rock, psychedelic-rock, classic rock, rock'n'roll, blues rock, grunge, Third Wave Ska Revival, New Zealand Rock, Alternative rock, etc, etc, etc.

Of course, Metal itself is simply a sub-genre of a sub-genre (hard rock). So, you know. That's my point.