***The Official Ashes 2006/07 Thread***

Tooj

5 dot balls from Flintoff, followed by a 7. Let down by retards.

Got to feel for Flintoff in that over. I dont know what KP was trying to prove or Jones was trying to do by stopping the ball with his pads? but that was an almighty fuck up!

Martyn comes in and times the ball amazingly but hits a sweet shot straight to backward point....

Hussey is the man at the moment and Giles is utter :lol:

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, if Giles plays at Perth I'll be furious.

You going to it at all wellsy?

Unfortunately i didnt get tickets at all but my friend she is hopefully going to give me a ticket to at least one of the days play. Amazingly she is in Adelaide at the moment and had tickets to all of the tests throughout Australia besides the first.

Fantastic win!

I feel for Flintoff and Flintoff only... well and Hoggard.

The hot spot camera is magnificant just quitely! Cant believe you lot over in the UK arent getting it....

Im getting ahead of myself here but if and thats a big if! But if Australia win imagine what the English media will be like back home. I dare say the English players wouldnt want to even read their paper and probably not ours but ours isnt as bad as theirs.

We do get it. Great innovation imo.

Aye he turned to each of his bowlers and they all let him down. Feel a bit sorry for him. Mind he could have done with scoring more than 2 runs himself.

Apparently no team in test history has declared on that high a first innings score and gone on to lose - RECORDBREAKERS!! :lol:

On the telly yesterday one of the commentators said the Aussies call Hoggard 'The Janitor', or something similar as 'he is always cleaning up other people's mistakes.'

On the telly yesterday one of the commentators said the Aussies call Hoggard 'The Janitor', or something similar as 'he is always cleaning up other people's mistakes.'

Thought it was class how the Aussies have taken to calling Bell "The Shermanator". :lol:

I think Shane Warne should get an absolute enormous amount of credit for Australia winning this match.

Not just for his final day's bowling, but he has been getting inside the England team's head throughout. Bell, Jones and Pietersen to name the obvious ones who were 'getting it' and were visibly affected by it.

Warne is just sheer class.

I think Shane Warne should get an absolute enormous amount of credit for Australia winning this match.

Not just for his final day's bowling, but he has been getting inside the England team's head throughout. Bell, Jones and Pietersen to name the obvious ones who were 'getting it' and were visibly affected by it.

He got a bit wound up himself by Collingwood yesterday and was shouting at him as he ran past at one point, and saying something to the umpire, so I assume Collingwood was in his ear. I reckon Collingwood's a bit nails though so I'm not sure you could really get into his head. He might be a mackem, but he's made of sterner stuff than the likes of Bell and Jones.

He got a bit wound up himself by Collingwood yesterday and was shouting at him as he ran past at one point, and saying something to the umpire, so I assume Collingwood was in his ear. I reckon Collingwood's a bit nails though so I'm not sure you could really get into his head. He might be a mackem, but he's made of sterner stuff than the likes of Bell and Jones.

I saw the incident you're talking about. Yes, the two 'had words', but that is an indication of how much Shane Warne gets inside the opposition's (particularly England's) heads. On that occasion, it was Collingwood who felt it necessary to give him verbals - and indication of how much Warne is in the England team's mindset.

I saw the incident you're talking about. Yes, the two 'had words', but that is an indication of how much Shane Warne gets inside the opposition's (particularly England's) heads. On that occasion, it was Collingwood who felt it necessary to give him verbals - and indication of how much Warne is in the England team's mindset.

Looked to me like Warne was the one wound up on that occasion though. I agree though, he's a bit of a master at it. I'd love that though - just standing in close round a batsman winding him up constantly until he breaks. My dream job! :lol:

Have to say, this surprised me a lot.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/6219992.stm

Martyn announces shock retirement

Martyn has had a tough time in the last two Ashes

Australia batsman Damien Martyn has announced his retirement from all forms of cricket with immediate effect.

The 35-year-old told Cricket Australia of his surprise decision just before they were due to announce the squad for the third Ashes Test.

He indicated he no longer had the motivation to perform at his best.

Cricket Australia boss James Sutherland confirmed Martyn would have kept his place despite scoring only 45 runs in three innings in the first two games.

Martyn, who scored 4,406 Test runs in 67 appearances at an average of 46.37, said he was fully aware of the "tremendous challenges facing Australian cricket" during the Ashes series.

But he continued: "Such challenges require people who are more than 100% committed, dedicated, disciplined and passionate about the game, what it seeks to achieve and how those involved in the game can best serve cricket, sport and the wider community.

"I said to myself when I made this decision in the last 48 hours that I may lose friends in doing what I'm doing.

I realised that I may lose friends in what I am doing

Damien Martyn

Feature: A master of style

"But I also said to myself that if I stayed doing what I was doing I may equally lose respect for myself and the friendship of those around me who are entitled to expect from me more than 100%."

Australia captain Ricky Ponting paid tribute to Martyn's contribution to the success of the team in both Test and one-day cricket, describing him as "one of the world's most unsung players".

He said: "It is obviously something Damien has thought long and hard about and I know that I and all of the other members of the team will miss him greatly.

"I don't think it is really understood how good a player he actually is. He is one of those players who, as the conditions and situations got harder and more difficult, the better he became and I know I will miss his influence on the Australian team."

His place in the squad for the third Ashes Test, which starts on 14 December in Perth, has been taken by uncapped 27-year-old batsman Adam Voges.

606: DEBATE

Why would you walk away when your team is on the verge of winning back the Ashes? It seems odd to me

TH

606: Have your say

Martyn, from Western Australia, was arguably the most stylish batsman in the national team.

But he was dropped from it on a number of occasions during his career, the first time after a loose shot against South Africa in Sydney in January 1994, when Australia failed to reach a target of 117 and were beaten by six runs.

He had to wait more than six years for another chance and made the most of it by hitting the first of 13 Test centuries at Edgbaston on the 2001 Ashes tour.

His career took another downturn in 2005 when he managed only one half century as Australia lost the Ashes in England, but returned for the tour to South Africa at the start of this year and made 101 in the final Test in Johannesburg as Australia completed a 3-0 whitewash.

Martyn was also a prolific one-day batsman, scoring 5,346 runs from 208 matches at an average of 40, with five hundreds and 37 fifties.

Martyn's bravery helped Australia lift the World Cup in 2003

He scored an unbeaten 88 as Australia beat India in the 2003 World Cup final despite batting with a broken finger and recently played a leading role as they won the ICC Champions Trophy with two half centuries and an unbeaten 47 in the final against West Indies.

"Damien's decision has come as a surprise to us but I fully respect his decision to retire on his terms," said Sutherland, the Cricket Australia chief executive.

"I got a very clear indication from him that his decision was absolutely final and that he had been thinking about it for a little bit of time.

"I can tell from the tone of his voice and the thought processes in getting to where he's at that there's no point in talking to him further. He wanted to make that decision independent of all other factors and we respect that."

Former Australia captain Ian Chappell said he respected Martyn for the timing of his decision.

"You don't have to be Einstein to know that the Australian selectors are going to want to make the side younger pretty soon and he probably felt he was near the top of the list of guys to go," he said.

"The fact he has got a home Test coming up, that Australia is probably going to win the Ashes back - all those reasons make it tougher and all the more reason to admire him for it

So to the Aussies on here, who should play in his place in Perth?

Adam Voges from WA and Andrew Symonds have been called up to the 13 man squad. However a bit surprised that Chris Rogers also from WA didnt get called up as he is averaging like 94 or so this season and scoring runs left rigth and centre. I think they may give Symonds the nod due to his experience but it wouldnt surprise me if they give Voges a go in his home state.

Voges hasnt been doing too badly with the bat this season. Can bowl a bit aswell but nothing terribly special. Average is around 42 or something.

Voges hasnt been doing too badly with the bat this season. Can bowl a bit aswell but nothing terribly special.

Kinda like Ashley Giles then? ;)

Seriously though I've never seen the lad Voges play before and I'm not overly convinced about Symonds, although I watched a few tests from the last Aussie summer and he was decent.

Why isn't Jacques getting his chance? I've heard a lot of good things about him.

Voges hasnt been doing too badly with the bat this season. Can bowl a bit aswell but nothing terribly special.

Kinda like Ashley Giles then? ;)

Seriously though I've never seen the lad Voges play before and I'm not overly convinced about Symonds, although I watched a few tests from the last Aussie summer and he was decent.

Why isn't Jacques getting his chance? I've heard a lot of good things about him.

Yeah well Jacques is an opener and i dont think they want to put him down the order.... thats the only thing i can think of. He will get his chance after the Ashes i would say. He will be good aswell, cracking player.

Symonds is on and off and hit and miss. He can be amazing or amazingly shit. I guess you can say he is like a box of chocolates as you never know what you are going to get. Still think he can score runs in a quick hurry. He will just treat it as a one dayer no doubt.

Voges made 31 against England in the tour match that finishes today at the WACA. Harmison got him out but he was expensive with figures of 1/99 off 20 overs.

The next match is the Legends 20/20 with Australia v England on Tuesday night my time and then the real thing kicks in on Thursday. I had a ticket to Saturdays play for the test but i have my own cricket and therefore i cant make it! Im livid, tbh.

Englands first win on tour occured tonight as the England Legends side beat the Australian Legends side in a 20/20 match. It was fantastic hitting from both sides with some big sixes hit and plenty of 4's as the old and weary legs couldnt match the pace of the ball across the WACA surface.

Australia 171 and England made that with an over to go as Ian Healy came on to bowl the second last over and Hollioak decided to smash his first 2 balls for sixes.

Ryan Campbell was on fire smashing a fine 59 i think it was before holding out at deep mid wicket.

Thorpe and one other lad were doing it easy for England before a couple of wickets. Greg Matthews came on and Merv Hughes standing at long off was signalling to where the ball will be going and that was over the fence. Funnily enough the ball came.... and Merv caught it on the boundary line.

All in all a good fun game for charity and there were quite a few English lads and lasses there. One Newcastle supporter with the crest tattooed onto his chest with what seemed like Alan Shearer's signature above it. Saw the English lad that runs the barmy army and Billy Cooper, the trumpet player, got to play a few songs at the interval.

About 20,000 there for the match.

At the end of the match walking back to a friends house i had to help quite a few of your lost english fellows get back to their hotels. Where is Northbridge? one asks and i point him in the right direction. Another says where is Francis St, with his map in hand. I pointed to the street and direct him there. Cant any of the English people read maps or follow signs? <_<