Films on TV

Happy Face

Pulp Fiction did nowt for me like. Nor did Kill Bill. I find that films with lenghty dialouge in them become incredibly boring on the second showing!

Just watched the Matrix for the first time in years and thats a cracking film. Totally robbed its story line off terminator like!

eh ? :lol:

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pulp Fiction did nowt for me like. Nor did Kill Bill. I find that films with lenghty dialouge in them become incredibly boring on the second showing!

Just watched the Matrix for the first time in years and thats a cracking film. Totally robbed its story line off terminator like!

eh ? :lol:

I guess he means that soldiers are sent to kill the one that could destroy them all.

Some classics on over Christmas the HF missed, mainly ones to set your sky+ for;

23rd

BBC2 1.40AM Holiday - Grant and Hepburn what more could you ask for

Five US 11.00 The Last Picture Show

24th

Five 4.15 Scrooge - Alistair Sim in the best Christmas film, colourised but still class.

Christmas Day

1.10am BBC2 Mr Deeds Goes To Town

3.05am BBC2 The Leopard Man - Classic horror directed by Jacques Tourneur

Boxing Day

3.15am BBC2 Cat People - More Tourneur horror

27th

1.55am BBC2 Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House - More Grant

30th

2.05am BBC2 Farewell My Lovely - Classic noir from Raymond Chandler

9.00 five - The Good The Bad and The Ugly - If you don't love it you're a twat

2nd Jan

2.10am BBC2 Build My Gallows High (also known as Out Of The Past) - Classic noir with Robert Mitchum and Kirk Douglas, again by Tourneur

3rd

12.20am BBC2 Dead Reckoning - Bogart Noir

5th

12.05am BBC2 In A Lonely Place - More Bogart noir, fucking class.

Big thumbs up to BBC for sticking on some lesser known classics even if they are on at fucking awfull times.

Must try and catch 'The Red Shoes'. It's in the BFI Top 10 iirc but I've never seen it. Good to see Repo Man is on too :lol: Is the Crimbo Radio Times out yet btw?

Some classics on over Christmas the HF missed, mainly ones to set your sky+ for;

23rd

24th

Five 4.15 Scrooge - Alistair Sim in the best Christmas film, colourised but still class.

Christmas Day

Boxing Day

27th

30th

2nd Jan

2.10am BBC2 Build My Gallows High (also known as Out Of The Past) - Classic noir with Robert Mitchum and Kirk Douglas, again by Tourneur

3rd

5th

Big thumbs up to BBC for sticking on some lesser known classics even if they are on at fucking awfull times.

Have you actually read any of the Chandler / Marlowe books btw? Well worth checking out.

A bumper christmas fortnight edition ;)

THE HUSTLER 12.55am Film4

Paul Newman is the coolest mother fucker this planet ever saw. I don't know what he and Martin Scorsese were thinking when they made the infinitely inferior Colour of Money. If you don't love this film you're a nonce.

:lol:

Can't really argue with that!

A bumper christmas fortnight edition ;)

THE HUSTLER 12.55am Film4

Paul Newman is the coolest mother fucker this planet ever saw. I don't know what he and Martin Scorsese were thinking when they made the infinitely inferior Colour of Money. If you don't love this film you're a nonce.

:lol:

Can't really argue with that!

Speak for yourself

23rd

24th

Christmas Day

Boxing Day

27th

30th

2nd Jan

3rd

5th

Have you actually read any of the Chandler / Marlowe books btw? Well worth checking out.

Unfortunately I rarely have the time to read books these days what with the wife and bairn but those books would certainly be high on my list when I get round to it.

You should start with the most obvious one DK - The Big Sleep. Not too long either - around 200 pages iirc. And have to agree with HF re: The Hustler too. Been one of my favourite films since I first saw it as a nipper. Paul Newman is cool as fuck though.

• 1 month later...

Half hour to go at work so I might as well resurrect this....

FRIDAY 18TH JANUARY

O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU? 9pm Film4

THE BIG LEBOWSKI 11pm Film4

Celebrate the UK release of No Country For Old Men with a Coen brothers double bill perfect for the unintiated to catch up with what they've been missing out on. Two of their best and most accesible films back to back.

HERCULES IN NEW YORK 2am BBC1

Arnie's first proper role, perfect to watch when you get home pissed, I laughed my arse off at how cheesey it was, and I was only 10 or something.

SATURDAY 19TH JANUARY

GOODBYE LENIN! 9pm BBC4

Germany has been been resurgent over the last decade, so much so that they even tried comedy. I've not seen this, but it's supposed to succeed. Two kids try and keep the reunification secret from their mother (or is it grandma) so that the shock won't kill her. I'll be setting my recorder.

BOYZ N THE HOOD 9pm Five US

Cracking film. Best one I've seen at making the kids that want to get out heroes, rather than the mugs that stay in the ghetto and perpetuate the gang violence.

BAD EDUCATION 10.55pm BBC4

Pedro Almodovar vbecame one of my favourites last year when I watched five or six of his films in a row. This wasn't the best, but it was still cracking.

INFERNAL AFFAIRS 12.45am Film4

The Template for the departed. Most people will tell you it's the better of the two films, and although I don't thinks so, it's well worth a watch either before or after seeing Scorsese's Americanised version.

THE MAN WHO WASN’T THERE 12.50am Channel 4

The Coen fest continues with this gorgeous black and white thriller that breaks every rule of the convention - no fast talking wise guy hero, but a virtually mute dullard, no sexy love interest to spark with, just a cheating wife and child to help learn piano, no whodunnit keep em guessing reveal, but the murder played right out in front of your eyes. A genius film.

TUESDAY 22ND JANUARY

GOSFORD PARK 9pm Film4

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

FRIDAY 25TH JANUARY

CHARLIE'S ANGELS: FULL THROTTLE 9pm Five Life

Excellent Fun, if your a bloke that likes to ogle nubile ladies prancing around in barely anything. Which should make up 95% of people on here.

A HARD DAY'S NIGHT 11.30pm BBC4

Superman 2 director Richard Lester has a bloody good laugh with The Beatles going mad with the camera as he does. Little like it had been seen on film or tv at the time, now you can't watch MTV, Hollyoaks or the adverts for a minute without a camera flying excitedly all over the shop like what you're watching is the most exciting moment in history. With the Beatles you could at least maybe believe it was.

BROTHER 12.30am Film4

Another violent brooding yakuza film from the master of the genre, Takeshi Kitano.

Edited by Happy Face

Half hour to go at work so I might as well resurrect this....

FRIDAY 18TH JANUARY

O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU? 9pm Film4

THE BIG LEBOWSKI 11pm Film4

Celebrate the UK release of No Country For Old Men with a Coen brothers double bill perfect for the unintiated to catch up with what they've been missing out on. Two of their best and most accesible films back to back.

HERCULES IN NEW YORK 2am BBC1

Arnie's first proper role, perfect to watch when you get home pissed, I laughed my arse off at how cheesey it was, and I was only 10 or something.

SATURDAY 19TH JANUARY

GOODBYE LENIN! 9pm BBC4

Germany has been been resurgent over the last decade, so much so that they even tried comedy. I've not seen this, but it's supposed to succeed. Two kids try and keep the reunification secret from their mother (or is it grandma) so that the shock won't kill her. I'll be setting my recorder.

BOYZ N THE HOOD 9pm Five US

Cracking film. Best one I've seen at making the kids that want to get out heroes, rather than the mugs that stay in the ghetto and perpetuate the gang violence.

BAD EDUCATION 10.55pm BBC4

Pedro Almodovar vbecame one of my favourites last year when I watched five or six of his films in a row. This wasn't the best, but it was still cracking.

INFERNAL AFFAIRS 12.45am Film4

The Template for the departed. Most people will tell you it's the better of the two films, and although I don't thinks so, it's well worth a watch either before or after seeing Scorsese's Americanised version.

THE MAN WHO WASN’T THERE 12.50am Channel 4

The Coen fest continues with this gorgeous black and white thriller that breaks every rule of the convention - no fast talking wise guy hero, but a virtually mute dullard, no sexy love interest to spark with, just a cheating wife and child to help learn piano, no whodunnit keep em guessing reveal, but the murder played right out in front of your eyes. A genius film.

TUESDAY 22ND JANUARY

GOSFORD PARK 9pm Film4

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

FRIDAY 25TH JANUARY

CHARLIE'S ANGELS: FULL THROTTLE 9pm Five Life

Excellent Fun, if your a bloke that likes to ogle nubile ladies prancing around in barely anything. Which should make up 95% of people on here.

A HARD DAY'S NIGHT 11.30pm BBC4

Superman 2 director Richard Lester has a bloody good laugh with The Beatles going mad with the camera as he does. Little like it had been seen on film or tv at the time, now you can't watch MTV, Hollyoaks or the adverts for a minute without a camera flying excitedly all over the shop like what you're watching is the most exciting moment in history. With the Beatles you could at least maybe believe it was.

BROTHER 12.30am Film4

Another violent brooding yakuza film from the master of the genre, Takeshi Kitano.

cheers...brilliant film

• 1 month later...

Got 40 minutes till I finish so I might as well do one for this week....

FRIDAY 22ND FEBRUARY

MEET JOE BLACK 9pm More4

Canny shite, but worth watching for the motor accident. Ooofff yer fucka!

AUSTIN POWERS: THE SPY WHO SHAGGED ME 9pm Film4

I think the second is the best of them all.

BLACK BOOK 10.45pm Film4

Very early free tv showing of Paul Verhoven's film that was only in cinema's last year. I guess film 4 put money into it. About the dutch resistance/collaborators during WW2, it's meant to be class.

CARAVAGGIO 12.15am More4

Highly acclaimed Derek Jarman film. Arty Farty types say he's the best thing to come out (if you'll excuse the pun) of the UK since diced meat

SATURDAY 23RD FEBRUARY

THE LADYKILLERS 9.30pm BBC2

Coen Brothers remake. Not a patch on the original. "We must have waffles forthwith!" is the highest the watermark goes.

THE BOURNE IDENTITY 9.45pm ITV1

The first Bourne film. Good.

THIS IS SPINAL TAP 11.05pm ITV4

There'll be a few young ones on here that haven't seen it. You have to. Funny as fuck spoof rock documentary. A lad I went to school with was adamant it was real :lol:

THE BIG LEBOWSKI 1.15am Channel 4

Holy shit what a good nights viewing. Switch over from Tap to Lebowski, the other funniest film ever. If only I wasn't planning being super Mongosuthu Buthelezi'd by 9pm, whatever the result, I might be able to enjoy them.

SUNDAY 24TH FEBRUARY

COLLATERAL 9pm Channel 4

Canny. Standard Michael Mann though. 2 Men. Dark. Tense. You reckon they're gayers? :icon_lol:

CONAN THE DESTROYER 11.30pm five

:)

THE WICKER MAN 1.35am ITV4

No blood, no gore, no lingering silence then shrill violins to shock you because the story can't. Just one of the most horrifying films you'll ever see. Hilariosly weird and dumbfounding.

TUESDAY 26TH FEBRUARY

ALL ABOUT EVE 1pm Film4

Perfect weekday afternoon fare. An over the hill star's light fades in the glare of her number one fan's new found fame. Classic Bette Davies.

WEDNESDAY 27TH FEBRUARY

SHAUN OF THE DEAD 9pm ITV2

Excellent zombie comedy that inspired George Romero to return to the genre.

THURSDAY 28TH FEBRUARY

DON'T LOOK NOW 1am ITV4

A good week for horrors. The one moment of outright horror from The Blair With was plundered from this classic. Nice bit of filth thrown in for good measure too.

FRIDAY 29TH FEBRUARY

CLOSER 9pm Five Life

Women, can't live with them, can't live without them.

SYMPATHY FOR LADY VENGEANCE 12.50am Film4

Had a few positive reviews on here just recently. Follow up to the universally adored Oldboy. Just as inventive, and even though there's lass action throughout, the gruseome finale takes it up a notch.

10 minutes to go. :)

• 4 weeks later...

SUNDAY 16TH MARCH

BROTHERS OF THE HEAD 10.50pm Film4

Fictional documentary about siamese twins that front a rock band, got canny reviews when it came out last year.

CAT PEOPLE 12.45am BBC2

Paul Schrader (writer of Taxi Driver) directs a weird remake. Nice bit of Bowie though.

MONDAY 17TH MARCH

BATTLE FOR HADITHA 9pm Channel 4

A brand new dramatic film from Nick Broomfield (famous for his documentaries) that recreates the already infamous battle. Scathing of the people in charge of both sides while being sympathetic to those on the ground.

ALIEN 3 10.50pm Channel 4

Harshly judged third installment. I love it.

ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA 11pm Film4

Sergio Leone's last film drags terribly. Very self-indulgement with none of the panache of his other films. Some people say it's a masterpiece, but they're blinded by the rest of his canon.

THE BIG BOSS (Fists of Fury) 11.05pm five

Bruce Lee classic

TUESDAY 18TH MARCH

PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES 9pm Film4

Hilarious.

DO THE RIGHT THING 12.10am ITV4

Suprise suprise, a Spike Lee film about race relations. It is excellent though and very funny.

WEDNESDAY 19TH MARCH

REPO MAN 1.10am Film4

Alex says it's good.

THURSDAY 20TH MARCH

HIS GIRL FRIDAY 10.30am BBC2

Good old fashioned fun. Classic.

FRIDAY 21ST MARCH

AIRPLANE! 5.30pm five

:puke:

THE ASSASSINATION OF RICHARD NIXON 10.30pm BBC2

Sean Penn is a lonely fella, a bit Travis Bickley.

SATURDAY 22ND MARCH

THE LAST DETAIL 9pm Five US

Early Jack Nicholson film directed by Hal Ashby, an underrated pioneer of 70's New Hollywood.

Trailer

DAS BOOT 11pm BBC2

View of WW2 from the inside of a German U-boat. Claustrophobic and gripping stuff.

Trailer

SUNDAY 23RD MARCH

THE WIZARD OF OZ 3.25pm five

The black and white bits are boring, but once the house takes off it's a classic. Try playing Dark Side of the Moon along with it and see what coincidental matches you find between the film and music.

Trailer

PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES 1.30am Film4

Good wholseome family comedy doesn't seem to exist anymore. To appeal to kids you have to be animated, everyone else gets underdog sports comedies full of sexual innuendo, or Porky's rehashes full of filth. This is the stuff I'd like to see more of..

Trailer

MONDAY 24TH MARCH

THE LONGEST DAY 11.40am Channel 4

One of the most popular war films ever made. The film Saving Private Ryan wanted to be.

3.10 To YUMA 12.45pm BBC2

A chance to see the original Glenn Ford version recently remade excellently

LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL 1am Channel 4

A comedy based in a concentration camp. Lovely stuff.

Trailer

TUESDAY 25TH MARCH

BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI 5.55pm Film4

One of the most popular war films ever made. Proper stiff upper lip stuff.

FRIDAY 28TH MARCH

THE ELEPHANT MAN 11.10pm ITV3

David Lynch's most straightforward accesible film is the true story of John Merrick.

SATURDAY 22ND MARCH

THE LAST DETAIL 9pm Five US

Early Jack Nicholson film directed by Hal Ashby, an underrated pioneer of 70's New Hollywood.

Trailer

DAS BOOT 11pm BBC2

View of WW2 from the inside of a German U-boat. Claustrophobic and gripping stuff.

Trailer

Two brilliant movies.

I love The Last Detail, next to Cuckoo's nest its my favourite Nicholson movie.

FRIDAY 28TH MARCH

David Lynch's most straightforward accesible film is the true story of John Merrick.

this definitely isn't true. Straight Story has to be his most straight forward and accesible film.

still it's brilliant.

FRIDAY 28TH MARCH

this definitely isn't true. Straight Story has to be his most straight forward and accesible film.

still it's brilliant.

It's debateable. They're both true stories told without abstraction. I think you've been taken in by the title of The Straight Story a bit too much.