Films on TV

Happy Face

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THURSDAY 29TH OCTOBER

ELECTION 1.10am Channel 4

If you liked Infernal Affairs this is your cup of tea. Modern classic of Asian gangster films.

was only discussing IA last night.(loved it)

Election isn't showing up yet on sky planner, I'll defo try and catch it though.

SATURDAY 31ST OCTOBER

KIDULTHOOD 9.45pm & 12.20am BBC3

Never seen it, but have wanted to for a while.

THE HOST 12.55am Channel 4

Recent Korean version of Godzilla. Canny film. Top effects. Except for the finale. But considering it only cost $11M, it looks fantastic.

SUNDAY 1ST NOVEMBER

GROUNDHOG DAY 7pm five

I've generally been ignoring the more popular films that get shown regularly, but I couldn't ignore Groundhog Day.

SILENT LIGHT 1.10am Channel 4

Another one I've not seen but want to. Mexican film that Sight & Sound rated number 6 on their list of the top films of 2007.

TUESDAY 3RD NOVEMBER

ONLY YESTERDAY 2.25pm Film4

Studio Ghibli (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke). This is an earlier one with more similarity to Grave of the Fireflies.

ROMANZO CRIMINALE 10.30pm BBC4

Never seen it. Looking forward to it though. Like a good foreign gangster flick. Nominated for the Golden Bear.

Italian-language film released in 2005, directed by Michele Placido, a criminal drama, it was highly acclaimed and won 15 awards. It is based on Giancarlo De Cataldo's 2002 novel, which is in turn inspired by the Banda della Magliana true story. The Magliana gang was one of the most powerful Italian criminal associations, dominating Rome's drug, gambling and other kinds of crime activities from the early 1970s to 1992 (death of Enrico De Pedis). The gang's affiliates start their career kidnapping rich people, drug dealing (hashish, cocain, heroin, etc.) from the 70s they started working with the Italian secret service, fascists, terrorists, the Sicilian Cosa Nostra, Camorra and many more. Some gang members are still alive, as inmates of an Italian prison, or justice collaborators (Massimo Carminati, Maurizio Abbatino).

THURSDAY 5TH NOVEMBER

ME, YOU, THEM 11am Film4

2000 Brazilian film about a woman and her three husbands who all live together. Winner of the 2000 Un Certain Regard at Cannes.

BOMBON - EL PERRO 1.15am Film4

Argentine drama where a man is given a dog as payment for fixing a car and his luck changes. Won the 2004 Golden Shell.

Edited by Happy Face

SATURDAY 31ST OCTOBER

KIDULTHOOD 9.45pm & 12.20am BBC3

Never seen it, but have wanted to for a while.

THE HOST 12.55am Channel 4

Recent Korean version of Godzilla. Canny film. Top effects. Except for the finale. But considering it only cost $11M, it looks fantastic.

SUNDAY 1ST NOVEMBER

GROUNDHOG DAY 7pm five

I've generally been ignoring the more popular films that get shown regularly, but I couldn't ignore Groundhog Day.

SILENT LIGHT 1.10am Channel 4

Another one I've not seen but want to. Mexican film that Sight & Sound rated number 6 on their list of the top films of 2007.

TUESDAY 3RD NOVEMBER

ONLY YESTERDAY 2.25pm Film4

Studio Ghibli (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke). This is an earlier one with more similarity to Grave of the Fireflies.

ROMANZO CRIMINALE 10.30pm BBC4

Never seen it. Looking forward to it though. Like a good foreign gangster flick. Nominated for the Golden Bear.

Italian-language film released in 2005, directed by Michele Placido, a criminal drama, it was highly acclaimed and won 15 awards. It is based on Giancarlo De Cataldo's 2002 novel, which is in turn inspired by the Banda della Magliana true story. The Magliana gang was one of the most powerful Italian criminal associations, dominating Rome's drug, gambling and other kinds of crime activities from the early 1970s to 1992 (death of Enrico De Pedis). The gang's affiliates start their career kidnapping rich people, drug dealing (hashish, cocain, heroin, etc.) from the 70s they started working with the Italian secret service, fascists, terrorists, the Sicilian Cosa Nostra, Camorra and many more. Some gang members are still alive, as inmates of an Italian prison, or justice collaborators (Massimo Carminati, Maurizio Abbatino).

THURSDAY 5TH NOVEMBER

ME, YOU, THEM 11am Film4

2000 Brazilian film about a woman and her three husbands who all live together. Winner of the 2000 Un Certain Regard at Cannes.

BOMBON - EL PERRO 1.15am Film4

Argentine drama where a man is given a dog as payment for fixing a car and his luck changes. Won the 2004 Golden Shell.

great great film.

• 2 weeks later...

SUNDAY 8TH NOVEMBER

THE NOTORIOUS BETTIE PAGE 11.10pm BBC2

Written and directed by the woman who adapted and directed forum favourite American Psycho, it's the story of the real life pin up model and the senate investigations into the material her employers purveyed. What Boogie Nights was to the 70/80's, this film is to the 50's, only not as good. It's not bad though, Gretchen Mol is quality, I just don't see the point in it beyond titillation. Which is perhaps the point. When the Simpsons can't draw a bum on tv anymore and a wardrobe malfunction causes the collapse of society we probably need reminded of how pathetic censorship can be, and that it should be fought.

THE YAKUZA 11.40pm ITV4

Never seen it, but it's a 70's crime thriller written by Paul Schrader (Taxi Driver) and directed by Sydney Pollack (They Shoot Horses Don't They) so it's got to be good.

Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN 12.35am Channel 4

Mexican road movie where two teenagers get their oats with an older woman going through a divorce.

ALL THE KING'S MEN 12.40am BBC2

Sean Penn political drama based on the novel.

MONDAY 9TH NOVEMBER

LIGHTS IN THE DUSK 2am Channel 4

About a security man who meets a femme fatale who sets him up using his gullibility and loyalty. The film was presented at the 2006 Cannes Film Festival. It was chosen as Finland's nominee for the 79th Academy Awards in the category of Best Foreign Language Film. However, Kaurismäki decided to boycott the awards and refused the nomination as a protest against US President George W. Bush's foreign policy.

TUESDAY 10TH NOVEMBER

THE GUNFIGHTER 11.15am More4

CHILDREN OF GLORY 10.30pm BBC4

THE PROPOSITION 11.25pm Film4

THIRTEEN CONVERSATIONS ABOUT ONE THING 1.25am Film4

WEDNESDAY 11TH NOVEMBER

ASHES OF TIME REDUX 11.15pm Film4

GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK 11.50pm BBC1

THURSDAY 12TH NOVEMBER

THE QUILLER MEMORANDUM 10.45am More4

WINTER LIGHT 11am Film4

KAMIKAZE GIRLS: THE END 11.15pm Film4

THEM 1.10am Channel 4

FRIDAY 13TH NOVEMBER

GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT 12.40pm Film4

TUESDAY 10TH NOVEMBER

THE GUNFIGHTER 11.15am More4

Old school western with Gregory Peck. Dylan wrote about it in his song Brownsville Girl.

CHILDREN OF GLORY 10.30pm BBC4

At the 1956 Olympic Games in Melbourne, the Hungarian water polo team faces off against the Russians in what will become known as one of the bloodiest matches in the sport's history.

THE PROPOSITION 11.25pm Film4

Excellent Aussie film (written by Nick Cave of the Bad Seeds). Some moments of horrible violence, so the sqeamish might want to avoid it, but otherwise I recommend.

THIRTEEN CONVERSATIONS ABOUT ONE THING 1.25am Film4

Supposed to be a good ensemble film. Alan Arkin and John Turturro are always worth watching anyway.

WEDNESDAY 11TH NOVEMBER

ASHES OF TIME REDUX 11.15pm Film4

Kar Wai Wong (director of In the Mood for Love) swordplay film.

Loved it. Should have won the Best Film oscar it was nominated for. It's about Ed Murrow's coverage of the unamerican activities hearings, but more importantly it's about the demise of television news reporting.

THURSDAY 12TH NOVEMBER

WINTER LIGHT 11am Film4

Ingmar Bergman classic. His personal favourite. A pastor starts to doubt his faith.

KAMIKAZE GIRLS: THE END 11.15pm Film4

Japanese Manga film about a lass who doesn't fit in.

THEM 1.10am Channel 4

Already has the Gejon seal of approval. 2006 French horror. Short and sweet at 77 minutes.

FRIDAY 13TH NOVEMBER

GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT 12.40pm Film4

Elia Kazan (On the Waterfront, East of Eden) directed film that won Academy Awards for best picture and best director. It upset the House Un-American Activities Committee and famously led to stars, producer and director being called to testify.

Edited by Happy Face

Loved it. Should have won the Best Film oscar it was nominated for. It's about Ed Murrow's coverage of the unamerican activities hearings, but more importantly it's about the demise of television news reporting.

I'm not a high brow film fan and probably won't watch anything else mentioned but that is an exception - really enjoyed it.

I'm not a high brow film fan and probably won't watch anything else mentioned but that is an exception - really enjoyed it.

Saw that at the Tyneside when it was out (3-4 years ago?). Class film.

Can we have a seperate thread for the normal people on the board?

Tango and Cash, Rocky IV, Independence Day etc.

I got stick for listing the stuff everyone has seen and that's on every week anyway.

Generally highlight the foreign ones that'll broaden the horizons of normally unadvenurous posters such as yourself. :razz:

You'd love The Proposition.

I guarantee it.

SATURDAY 14TH NOVEMBER

I'M A CYBORG, BUT THAT'S OK 11pm Film4

Terminator Korea style. Directed by Chan Wook Park (who we all love for Oldboy). The title suggests a sci-fi romp, but it's not, it's set in a mental institute where a young lass whose family has a history of mental disorders, is being treated for one of her own (the title should cover that). Sounds depressing, but it's all done with a sense of humour and looks as gorgeous as anything Park's done before. Absoloutley love the guy more and more with every film.

I read an interview with him where he said he made this as a film his kids could enjoy. Don't worry though, within the first 5 minutes a lass has slit her wrists, wanged some live wires into her arm and blown herself across the room in a singed mess. There's much more carnage throughout too. The tone is a lot lighter than any of his previous films though, I imagine a large percentage of Oldboy fans will be disappointed with it as it's not as conventional as that.

36 QUAI DES ORFEVRES 12.15am BBC4

French cop film that won all the national awards. Currently getting a Robert De Niro remake made, watch it now so you can be all snotty about the American version when it arrives.

ASHES OF TIME REDUX 1.05am Film4

Mentioned last week

SUNDAY 15TH NOVEMBER

ZATOICHI 11.20pm Film4

Takeshi Kitano (Sonatine, Hana Bi, Takeshi's castle) film in which a blind samurai takes up residence in a small villige. There's a whole history of Zatoichi films and TV shows that I've not seen, but the film is great fun.

WILD STRAWBERRIES 1.40am Film4

Probably my favourite Bergman film. An old man about to receive an award contemplates life.

MONDAY 16TH NOVEMBER

MEMORIES OF MATSUKO 11.15pm Film4

Never seen it. Directed by the same bloke who did Kamikaze Girls. Won some Japanese academy awards a few years back.

WINTER LIGHT 1.50am Film4

Mentioned last week.

WEDNESDAY 18TH NOVEMBER

TOKYO SONATA 10.40pm Film4

The dad of a family loses his job to cheap labour. Never seen it. Won plenty of awards including Un Certain Regard Jury Prize at Cannes.

THURSDAY 19TH NOVEMBER

WILD STRAWBERRIES 11am Film4

See above

FRIDAY 20TH NOVEMBER

BLACK BOOK 10pm More4

Dutch World War 2 film directed by Paul Verhoven (Robocop, Starship Troopers).

• 2 weeks later...

SATURDAY 28TH NOVEMBER

BATTLE ROYALE II: REQUIEM 12.40am Film4

Utter garbage. Fans of the original should avoid souring it.

THE CHILDREN OF HEAVEN 1.20am ITV1

Iranian film about a girl who loses her shoes and can't go to school. I'm amazed ITV1 are championing foreign cinema like. What happened to The Vault?

ANNA M. 2.05am BBC4

Depressing French film about a woman who tried to kill herself having delusions about her doctor.

WEDNESDAY 2ND DECEMBER

GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES 11.40pm Film4

Up there with the greatest war films. You WILL cry....or get a geet pain in your adam's apple if you're nails.

THURSDAY 3RD DECEMBER

THE WAY HOME 11am Film4

South Korean film about a kid who's a twat and his nanna who's great.

THE PAGE TURNER 11.45pm Channel 4

French thriller about the person who turns the pages for a musician.

THE WARLORDS 12.40am Film4

Asian drama starring Jet Li with Epic battles and that.

FRIDAY 4TH DECEMBER

DOWNFALL 9pm Film4

The Hitler one where he shouts and people change the subtitles on youtube.

Edited by Happy Face

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

A great week for foreign hoity toity/classic/critically acclaimed stuff...

SATURDAY 22ND MAY

THE AFRICAN QUEEN 2.45pm More4

HOW THE WEST WAS WON 4pm five

CAPITALISM: A LOVE STORY 10.15pm Channel 4

BAD LIEUTENANT 11.30pm Film4

THE MAN WHO WASN’T THERE 12.50am Channel 4

THE ENIGMA OF KASPAR HAUSER 3.50am BBC2

SUNDAY 23RD MAY

IN WHICH WE SERVE 7.10pm BBC4

THE DEATH OF MR LAZARESCU 12.50am Channel 4

4 MONTHS, 3 WEEKS AND 2 DAYS 10.45pm Film4

MONDAY 24TH MAY

A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE 11.35pm Channel 4

WEDNESDAY 26TH MAY

SYNECDOCHE, NEW YORK 9pm Film4

EYES WIDE SHUT 10.35pm ITV1

ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND 11.20pm Film4

THURSDAY 27TH MAY

THE CONFORMIST 12.15am Film4

FRIDAY 28TH MAY

SYMPATHY FOR LADY VENGEANCE 1.25am Film4

Edited by Happy Face

HF deserves some recognition for the shift he puts in in this thread. Good work sir. Gonna watch Eternal Sunshine for the first time in your honour.

Cheers, I just copy and paste it from an empire online thread and delete the shit tbh ;)

Hope you enjoy it :wub: