Films on TV

Happy Face

There's loads I haven't seen this week so I'll not comment on them, but I include them as ones I want to catch.

SATURDAY 25TH NOVEMBER

TOUCHING THE VOID 7.320pm Channel 4

Docu-drama about 2 blokes who go up a mountain and end up in the shit. The fact they give talking head interviews throughout, telling you they surviveed from the off, doesn't lessen the impact. Stupidity or bold human endeavour? Either way, it's always engrossing and shows how music saves lives.

THE DUELLISTS 9.20pm ITV4

I said I wouldn't comment on the ones I haven't seen, but for those who don't know, this is Ridley Scott's directorial debut. Personally I haven't rated the lad since Alien so it'll be interesting to see if his other early work was any good.

NIGHT WATCH 10.40pm Film4

I seem to remember this being plugged as Russia's answer to The Matrix all over the shop. Not seen it, but it's supposed to very good. If you liked The Matrix and have the cognitive capacity to read subtitles, give it a whirl.

CONAN THE DESTROYER 11.35pm five

Barbarian, Destroyer, Sonja. Loved them all as a kid. Probably best off watching Night Watch and avoid destroying the good memories.

SUNDAY 26TH NOVEMBER

CATCH ME IF YOU CAN 7.45pm BBC3

It speaks volumes that I've seen this but can hardly remember a thing about it at all. Some young lad (Leo Dicaprio) scams his way to a fortune and Tom Hanks has to catch him. Christopher Walken plays Dicaprio's dad but I don't recollect him being as outstanding as he normally is. I mention it only because people always like to catch a Spielberg film when it's on.

GHOSTBUSTERS 8pm Channel 4

Legendary. If you've got any sense you'll be watchiong this tonight no matter how many times you've seen it.

ALI 9pm five

First Michael Mann film of the week. Worth a look as a reminder of Ali's greatness rather than for any greatness in the film itself. The Fresh Prince probably deserved his Oscar nom. If you liked Mann's other films like Heat, Collateral, Manhunter, L.A. Takedown, The Thief or The Insider (on tv this Thursday), give it a go.

MONDAY 27TH NOVMEBER

NATIONAL LAMPOON’S ANIMAL HOUSE 9pm Film4

THE PARALLAX VIEW 11.50pm ITV4

GOZU 1am Film4

If you've heard of Takashi Miike but not seen any films and want to know what he's all about, avoid this like the plague. A very difficult film to introduce you to him, get hold of Audition or Ichi The Killer first then try this one so it's not such a culture shock. Once properly prepared you might actually enjoy this as the complete mind-fuck mad as a tree bit of fun it is.

TUESDAY 28TH NOVEMBER

THE MAN WITH TWO BRAINS 9pm ITV4

I seem to remember getting really turned on by the brain in the jar ;) . Hilarious, comedy classic everyone scould see.

TRADING PLACES 9pm Film4

I was going to start a thread about John Landis, the bloke's a genius and knows how to direct comedy. This one bloke made The Kentucky Fried Movie then Animal House (see Monday) then The Blues Brothers then An American Werewolf in London and then Trading Places. That's one hell of a run in anyone's book, Five classics in a row. We were discussing Trading Places at the match on Thursday. How a drunk, unshaven Dan Ackroyd in a manky santa suit eating raw fish from in his sleeve is one of the funniest sights ever. And it's got Jamie Lee Curtis chebs in it. It's a shame he went the same way as Steve Martin tbh.

WEDNESDAY 29TH NOVEMBER

BLOODSPORT 10.45pm five

Another one I loved when I was little. If you're little, I advise you to watch and love it too. If not, it shouldn't hold any interest whatsoever.

THURSDAY 30TH NOVEMBER

THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR 4.10pm Film4

THE INSIDER 9pm ITV4

Michael Mann film number 2 this week. Al Pacino and Russel Crowe in fine form. In the vein of All The Presidents Men it's far more engrossing than the synopsis suggests. All there is to it is a bloke who's signed a confidentiality agreement with a big tobacco company, but goes on 60 minutes for a damning interview. The lure of cash means CBS are loathe to air the show, even if it is massively in the public interest. The very definition of slow burn and a class film all round. If you liked the aforementioned All The Presidents Men or Goodnight and Good Luck, this is for you.

GLADIATOR 9pm Film4

Absolout shite. Hate the thing with a passion. But it's lot's of peoples favourite film ever so I remind them it's on as a public service. But christ, it's wank. Watch Crowe do something good on ITV4 instead.

FRIDAY 1st DECEMBER

JUNGLE FEVER 11.05pm Film4

An early(ish) Spike Lee film, so you know what to expect, a slightly preachy story about the racial boundaries that still exist. Only film worth a watch today.

Edited by Happy Face

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of my all-time favourites there.

Animal house.

Touching the Void.

Ghost Busters.

Gladiator.

Trading Places.

Gold all of them !

Ali on the other hand I thought was bloody terrible !

Sunday 03/12

School of Rock Ch4 8pm

I remember thinking the ending was really shit, but the rest of it was as funny as anything Jack Black has done (apart from the Tenacious D tv show).

Zoolander Ch4 10.05pm

Everyone tells me it's funny.

Bonnie and Clyde ITV3 10.10pm

Warren Beatty and Faye Dunnaway star in the film that kick started the seventies in US cinema, some would say the best period it ever went through.

Hannah and her Sisters BBC1 10.55pm

Haven't seen it. Woody Allen film that won a few Oscars iirc, so it might be canny.

Sid and Nancy ITV4 11pm

Gary Oldman is normally brilliant, but in this he's especially brilliant.

Backstage BBC2 12pm

Documentary on rap stars made in 2000. Never seen or heard of it, but fans of Jay-Z, DMX, Method Man, Redman, Ja Rule, Damon Dash etc. might find something they like.

37 USES FOR A DEAD SHEEP

BBC4 Monday 11 December 2006 10pm-11.25pm

This was just recently shown at the London Film Festival and was in cinemas last month.

This multiple award-winning documentary takes a droll and affectionate look at the last hundred years in the history and culture of the Pamir Kirghiz, a semi nomadic tribe originating in Central Asia. Resistant to Communism, facing violence and imprisonment, the tribe were driven from country to country until an appeal for international assistance led them to Eastern Turkey, where they have lived for the last 27 years (a counter offer from the USA would have seen them shipped off to Alaska). Working in collaboration with Ekber Kutlu, a Kirghiz sculptor and intellectual, Ben Hopkins (The Nine Lives of Thomas Katz) mixes new documentary footage with dramatic re-constructions filmed in a variety of cinematic styles and acted out by the Kirghiz. These make for an engaging glimpse into the tribe's past, showing their resilience and humour, and also touching on the younger generation's very different hopes for the future. The film's warm-hearted tone is a delight, exemplified in the running gag which gives the film its title.

WHEN THE LEVEES BROKE: A REQUIEM IN FOUR ACTS

BBC4

Part One: Monday 18 December 9pm-11.10pm

Part Two: Tuesday 19 December 9pm-11.10pm

The first UK showing of Spike Lee's epic documentary

http://www.toontastic.net/forum/index.php?...mp;#entry192175

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Resurrected in a bid to aleviate ther boredom while I wait for Black Narcissus.

I missed the Goonies, Once Upon A Time In America, Scarface and Battle Royale yesterday :blink:

SUNDAY 21ST JANUARY

BLACK NARCISSUS 11.50am BBC2

I've not seen it but it's meant to be a classic.

KINDERGARTEN COP 2.30pm ITV2

IT..IS..NOT..A..Toomah!

CONTACT 9pm five

Very clever opening shot goes from space down to a house through the window into a medicine cabinet mirror and reverses back to look at Jodie Foster from inside. Canny film too.

ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK 10pm ITV4

I've not seen it but it's meant to be a classic. John Carpenter.

MONDAY 22ND JANUARY

FULL METAL JACKET 10pm ITV4

HEAT 1.15am Film4

TUESDAY 23RD JANUARY

KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS 1.35pm Channel 4

Ealing comedy about a bloke trying to kill his whole family to gain their fortune. Alec Guiness does about 725 roles. Genius.

DAZED AND CONFUSED 11pm Film4

In Quentin Tarantino's top ten films of all time.

WEDNESDAY 24TH JANUARY

THE BOURNE SUPREMACY 9pm ITV1

Better than any Bond film.

PUNCHLINE 9pm Five US

I loved this when I was little. Haven't seen it for donkeys.

THE IPCRESS FILE 10pm ITV4

28 DAYS LATER 10.45pm Film4

Solid British horror.

THURSDAY 25TH JANUARY

THE BOURNE IDENTITY 9pm ITV2

Better than any Bond film.

THE JERK 10pm ITV4

ANNIE HALL 11.10pm Film4

Woody Allen's second best film ever.

FRIDAY 26TH JANUARY

BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY’S 10.30pm ITV3

Audrey Hepburn is lush.

THE GODFATHER PART II 11.10pm Film4

Seems strange they're showing it without Part one.

I missed the Goonies, Once Upon A Time In America, Scarface and Battle Royale yesterday :rolleyes:

SUNDAY 21ST JANUARY

Missed this, what was it like?

MONDAY 22ND JANUARY

FULL METAL JACKET 10pm ITV4

Think I'll give this another go since I've began to re-evaluate Kubrick recently.

TUESDAY 23RD JANUARY

KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS 1.35pm Channel 4

Ealing comedy about a bloke trying to kill his whole family to gain their fortune. Alec Guiness does about 725 roles. Genius.

I'll be setting the dvd to record this one.

DAZED AND CONFUSED 11pm Film4

In Quentin Tarantino's top ten films of all time.

This one too. One of my favourite films to watch pissed.

THURSDAY 25TH JANUARY

THE JERK 10pm ITV4

Martins best film by a mile

ANNIE HALL 11.10pm Film4

Woody Allen's second best film ever.

FRIDAY 26TH JANUARY

BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY’S 10.30pm ITV3

Audrey Hepburn is lush.

Nearly as lush as Grace Kelly

THE GODFATHER PART II 11.10pm Film4

Seems strange they're showing it without Part one.

Part one was on Friday I think.

I missed the Goonies, Once Upon A Time In America, Scarface and Battle Royale yesterday :lol:

SUNDAY 21ST JANUARY

Missed this, what was it like?

It was canny. I was initially a bit dissappointed by the matte paintings all over the shop and the hamminess of a few of the actors, but some of the backdrops are very good, some of the darkly lit scenes are moody as hell and the performance of the nun having a sexual awakening that leads to her psychotic behaviour at the end is gloriously over the top.

A more intelligent viewpoint is here....

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp...p;section=essay

I missed this from tonight...

FAVELA RISING 9pm More 4

FAVELA RISING documents a man and a movement, a city divided and a favela (Brazilian squatter settlement) united. Haunted by the murders of his family and many of his friends, Anderson Sá is a former drug-trafficker who turns social revolutionary in Rio de Janeiro’s most feared slum. Through hip-hop music, the rhythms of the street, and Afro-Brazilian dance he rallies his community to counteract the violent oppression enforced by teenage drug armies and sustained by corrupt police.

At the dawn of liberation, just as collective mobility is overcoming all odds and Anderson’s grassroots Afro Reggae movement is at the height of its success, a tragic accident threatens to silence the movement forever.

View the trailer...

http://favelarising.com/trailer_and_synopsis/index.html

SATURDAY 27TH JANUARY

THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN 6.10pm five

If you haven't seen this you can't call yourself a bloke. Like the Great Escape and The Bridge on the River Kwai these are films your dad loves. And you should too.

BEHIND THE SUN 8.40pm BBC4

I ain't seen it, but it's Walter Salles (who did the Motorcycle Diaries) so should be worth trying.

CARLITO'S WAY 11pm ITV4

Brian De Palma and Al Pacino's look at a gangster trying to get out years after doing Scarface about one trying to get in. Sean Penn's best work.

BATTLE ROYALE II: REQUIEM 11pm Film4

Absoloute horse shit, don't sour the first one by watching this.

THE LAST BOY SCOUT 11.30pm ITV1

I always preferred this to any of the Die Hard's. A very enjoyable buddy cop action comedy.

SUNDAY 28TH JANUARY

ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THIEVES 6.45pm BBC1

The accent doesn't matter, it's not a biography, it's a fun action flick, And bloody good.

WATERSHIP DOWN 7.15pm Film4

Parents, sit your kids down and scar them for life with this traumatic nightmare of film horror.

DAWN OF THE DEAD 10pm Channel 4

The remake, I've not seen it but it's meant to be the most acceptable of the recent spate of 70's remakes.

THE FOG 10pm ITV4

The original John Carpenter one

MONDAY 29TH JANUARY

CROSS OF IRON 10pm ITV4

Sam Peckinpah, James Coburn, James Mason. Sounds like something.

A FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE 1.05am Film4

Not Leone's best work, but still a fantastic film. Rod Steiger is a legend, James Coburn does a terrible Irish accent that it's worth watching for on it's own. Ennio Morricone writes the songs as usual too.

TUESDAY 30TH JANUARY

SOME LIKE IT HOT 6.40pm Film4

A very very funny film. Tony Cutis's Cary Grant is hilarious.

THE COMMITTMENTS 9pm Film4

"Elvis was a Cajun, he drove a Cajun car, he drove it down to Memphis, and that's where he got his start."

"Dat's fuckin blasphemy! Elvis wasn't a Cajun." <_<

WEDNESDAY 31ST JANUARY

JOHNNY GUITAR 4.05pm More4

I haven't seen it and I'm gutted I'll be at work. Need to invest in one of them fangled tv boxes.

TONY TAKITANI 00.50am Film4

Tony is lonely so he gets married. His wife likes to shop. He doesn't appreciate it. He's left lonely.

NOTHING ELSE HAPPENS!

Very slow indeed.

I enjoyed it.

VIDEODROME 2.20am Film4

I've not seen it, but you can't go wrong with David Cronenberg.

THURSDAY 1ST FEBRUARY

THE THIEF OF BAGDAD 4.05pm More4

I've not seen it but if, like me, you enjoyed Black Narcissus last week, it's another fix of Powell and Pressberger to hopefully satisfy.

THE MAN WITH TWO BRAINS 10pm ITV4

Another Steve Martin classic for those of you who enjoyed The Jerk last week.

FRIDAY 2ND FEBRUARY

THE BIRDS 10pm ITV3

Hitchcock's the daddy really, his films rain blows on everything else with a snooker ball in a sock. This one doesn't have a score. Difficult to imagine it now when 90% of films rely on the soundtrack to provide the scares. It also explores the unexplained terror of living with a woman on the rag. At least I think so.

THE WILD BUNCH 10.20pm ITV4

Another Sam Peckinpah one. Geet violent. And Ernest Borgnine is a personal hero.

THE HUSTLER 10.50pm Film4

Paul Newman is the coolest mother fucker this planet ever saw. I don't know what he and Martin Scorsese were thinking when they made the infinitely inferior Colour of Money. If you don't love this film you're a nonce.

Watership Down <_<

The Black Rabbit used to give me nightmares cos I had two bunnies as a kid and I was convinced it was going to come and get them in the night :blush:

Watership Down <_<

The Black Rabbit used to give me nightmares cos I had two bunnies as a kid and I was convinced it was going to come and get them in the night :blush:

I'm debating recording that for my daughter, she's nagging me for a bunny, this might put her off......