Films on TV

Happy Face

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Film4 tonight at 9pm. The league of extraordinary gentlemen has been recommended to me, anyone seen it? If any good i'll watch it on +1

Fucking awful.

agreed, I thought it was fucking terrible.

THE COMMITTMENTS 9pm Film4

"Elvis was a Cajun, he drove a Cajun car, he drove it down to Memphis, and that's where he got his start."

"Dat's fuckin blasphemy! Elvis wasn't a Cajun." icon_lol.gif

Ah, I love that film. Proper music not like this modern shite <_<

The DVD gets an airing at least 3 or 4 times a year in our house but I'll still end up watching it again.

Film4 tonight at 9pm. The league of extraordinary gentlemen has been recommended to me, anyone seen it? If any good i'll watch it on +1

Fucking awful.

Down the pan with that idea then <_<

Get Madrid and Villareal on woman!

Fucking awful.

yeah that would be fine cept hubby home and he hates football :blush:

Fucking awful.

Down the pan with that idea then :blush:

yeah that would be fine cept hubby home and he hates football :icon_lol:

He must be good in the sack then, that's all I'm saying. <_<

Fucking awful.

Down the pan with that idea then :icon_lol:

yeah that would be fine cept hubby home and he hates football :nufc:

He must be good in the sack then, that's all I'm saying. :blush:

<_< yes best stop there!

Anyhow, its good to have seperate interests.

Fucking awful.

yeah that would be fine cept hubby home and he hates football :blush:

whoa, bizzaro world alert :whoop: :whoop:

SATURDAY 27TH JANUARY

THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN 6.10pm five

If you haven't seen this you can't call yourself a bloke. Like the Great Escape and The Bridge on the River Kwai these are films your dad loves. And you should too.

BEHIND THE SUN 8.40pm BBC4

I ain't seen it, but it's Walter Salles (who did the Motorcycle Diaries) so should be worth trying.

CARLITO'S WAY 11pm ITV4

Brian De Palma and Al Pacino's look at a gangster trying to get out years after doing Scarface about one trying to get in. Sean Penn's best work.

BATTLE ROYALE II: REQUIEM 11pm Film4

Absoloute horse shit, don't sour the first one by watching this.

THE LAST BOY SCOUT 11.30pm ITV1

I always preferred this to any of the Die Hard's. A very enjoyable buddy cop action comedy.

SUNDAY 28TH JANUARY

ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THIEVES 6.45pm BBC1

The accent doesn't matter, it's not a biography, it's a fun action flick, And bloody good.

WATERSHIP DOWN 7.15pm Film4

Parents, sit your kids down and scar them for life with this traumatic nightmare of film horror.

DAWN OF THE DEAD 10pm Channel 4

The remake, I've not seen it but it's meant to be the most acceptable of the recent spate of 70's remakes.

THE FOG 10pm ITV4

The original John Carpenter one

MONDAY 29TH JANUARY

CROSS OF IRON 10pm ITV4

Sam Peckinpah, James Coburn, James Mason. Sounds like something.

A FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE 1.05am Film4

Not Leone's best work, but still a fantastic film. Rod Steiger is a legend, James Coburn does a terrible Irish accent that it's worth watching for on it's own. Ennio Morricone writes the songs as usual too.

TUESDAY 30TH JANUARY

SOME LIKE IT HOT 6.40pm Film4

A very very funny film. Tony Cutis's Cary Grant is hilarious.

THE COMMITTMENTS 9pm Film4

"Elvis was a Cajun, he drove a Cajun car, he drove it down to Memphis, and that's where he got his start."

"Dat's fuckin blasphemy! Elvis wasn't a Cajun." :blink:

WEDNESDAY 31ST JANUARY

JOHNNY GUITAR 4.05pm More4

I haven't seen it and I'm gutted I'll be at work. Need to invest in one of them fangled tv boxes.

TONY TAKITANI 00.50am Film4

Tony is lonely so he gets married. His wife likes to shop. He doesn't appreciate it. He's left lonely.

NOTHING ELSE HAPPENS!

Very slow indeed.

I enjoyed it.

VIDEODROME 2.20am Film4

I've not seen it, but you can't go wrong with David Cronenberg.

THURSDAY 1ST FEBRUARY

THE THIEF OF BAGDAD 4.05pm More4

I've not seen it but if, like me, you enjoyed Black Narcissus last week, it's another fix of Powell and Pressberger to hopefully satisfy.

THE MAN WITH TWO BRAINS 10pm ITV4

Another Steve Martin classic for those of you who enjoyed The Jerk last week.

FRIDAY 2ND FEBRUARY

THE BIRDS 10pm ITV3

Hitchcock's the daddy really, his films rain blows on everything else with a snooker ball in a sock. This one doesn't have a score. Difficult to imagine it now when 90% of films rely on the soundtrack to provide the scares. It also explores the unexplained terror of living with a woman on the rag. At least I think so.

THE WILD BUNCH 10.20pm ITV4

Another Sam Peckinpah one. Geet violent. And Ernest Borgnine is a personal hero.

THE HUSTLER 10.50pm Film4

Paul Newman is the coolest mother fucker this planet ever saw. I don't know what he and Martin Scorsese were thinking when they made the infinitely inferior Colour of Money. If you don't love this film you're a nonce.

Cross Of Iron is well worth watching, typical Peckinpah violence and a story of the Jormans battling against the Russians from the Jorman perspective. Coburn is very good in the hero role. Apparantly the ending is the way it is because they run out of money to finish it the way that was intended.

Fistfull of Dynamite is not a patch on Leone's other masterpieces and is difficult to follow in places but it has some excellent scenes.

Videodrome is tottlay bizzare but James Woods is excellent as ever.

What a really shit week it is....

SATURDAY 3RD FEBRUARY

ALWAYS 6.40pm Film4

Not seen it, but I'll always mention a Spielberg film.

UNBREAKABLE 10.50pm ITV1

Average film about a bloke who can't be hurt and another bloke who's always getting hurt.

BITTER MOON 11.25pm Channel 4

IIRC this is a reet dorty film by Roman Polanski. A young Hugh Grant stars, can't imagine him doing anything so risque these days.

SUNDAY 4TH FEBRUARY

JACOB’S LADDER 10.40pm Film4

Post vietnam horror for Tim Robbins with a canny twist that has since been overused so you'll see it coming a mile off.

THE THING 10.45pm ITV4

John Carpenter horror about a shape-shifting collection of guts and organs that terrorise a remote ice station. Canny.

MONDAY 5TH FEBRUARY

HERO 9pm Film4

Gorgeous Chinese film in the vein of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and House of Flying Daggers. The dodgy politics it esposes are a bit shocking but not suprising considering it was funded by the Chinese government. It's always stunning. If you've seen and enjoyed this (or the other two mentioned) keep an eye out for Curse of the Golden Flower which is by the same director and has been getting rave reviews.

THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS 10pm ITV2

You've all seen it.

SEX, LIES AND VIDEOTAPE 11pm Film4

Along with Reservoir Dogs this reinvigorated the independent movie scene in the early 90's. Always engrossing slow burner about one persons perversion being anothers normality, about frigidity being just as out there as extreme sexuality.

TUESDAY 6TH FEBRUARY

LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL 6.45pm Film4

A heartbreaking holocaust comedy about a man trying to hide the true horror of what's happening from his son by turning it into a game. Recommended above all else that's on this week.

THIS IS SPINAL TAP 10.30pm ITV

But only because everyone's already seen Spinal Tap. I can't decide if this or The Life of Brian is the funniest film ever made.

WEDNESDAY 7TH FEBRUARY

METALLICA: SOME KIND OF MONSTER 9pm More4

Very apt that this is on the day after Spinal Tap. It's absoloutley hilarious and I'd advise both films be watched as a double bill.

THE BREAKFAST CLUB 10pm BBC3

A bunch of highly irritating and self absorbed teenagers sit around in an afternoon of detention complaining about how hard their lives are and how much they hate their parents. Still suprisingly watchable and funny. In the end they smoke some weed and everything is alright. Isn't it always the case?

MANHUNTER 10.30pm ITV2

I've not seen it and I won't be spoiling it with an advert riddled showing, but Brian Cox is meant to be the best Hannibal there's been.

FRIDAY 9TH FEBRUARY

PALE RIDER 9.30pm ITV4

Clint Eastwood has made far superior westerns, but he's always worth watching on a horse.

ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13 11pm Film4

Another John Carpenter classic I haven't seen. Meant to be a superior sci-fi film retelling the story from the John Wayne western Rio Bravo.

I've never seen Life is Beautiful, must watch that on Tuesday.

I've had Hero on DVD for almost a year, but still haven't watched it. Thought it was great when I saw it in the cinemas, but I think watching it on my crappy telly might diminish my opinon of it. A film that deserves to be shown in Ultra Super High Definition (might have made that up) on a massive, massive screen.

Hero on IMAX....now there's a thought.

SATURDAY 10TH FEBRUARY

THE APARTMENT 6.35pm Film4 - Comedy brilliance. Hilarious. Superb.

SHREK 7.15pm BBC1 - Funny

BEVERLY HILLS COP II 9.30pm BBC3 - Amusing

DOG DAY AFTERNOON 10.15pm ITV4 - Excellent

ANY GIVEN SUNDAY 11.25pm five - Stubbly Pacino puts on a black suit and shouts. As always, entertaining.

CITY SLICKERS 11.30pm ITV1 - Chuklesome

BRAINDEAD 11.30pm Film4 - Grotesquely funny.

DRAGNET 11.50pm ITV3 - 80's buddy cop comedy at it's best.

ONE NIGHT IN MONGKOK 1.35am Film4 - Not seen it. Meant to be good.

SUNDAY 11TH FEBRUARY

THE ORANGE BRITISH ACADEMY FILM AWARDS 9pm BBC1 - For a chance to bitch at the frocks.

CROUPIER 9pm Film4 - Excellent British thriller with Clive Owen that never seemed to get the audience it deserved

SEXY BEAST 10.20pm Channel 4 - Not as good as Croupier but got a wider audience. Worth watching for Ben Kingsley who mashes up the screen superbly.

THE SUGARLAND EXPRESS 10.45pm Film4 - A Spielberg film without sloppy sentimentality. Good stuff.

MONDAY 12TH FEBRUARY

SHOWBOAT 1.30pm Channel 4 - Not just the gays can enjoy a lavish musical, and this is one of the best.

THE GRADUATE 10pm ITV3 - Fight Club for the 60's.

OLD BOY 10.55pm Film4 - One of the best films in the Korean boom. Easily the best of the vengeance trilogy.

TUESDAY 13TH FEBRUARY

THE AFRICAN QUEEN 4.10pm More4 - Classic.

DOUBLE INDEMNITY 5pm Film4 - Another classic. Watch them as a double bill and see that they really don't make them like this any more.

WEDNESDAY 14TH FEBRUARY

BRIEF ENCOUNTER 12.30pm Channel 4 - Bought this a while ago. Still haven't watched it.

NATIONAL LAMPOON’S ANIMAL HOUSE 12.45am Film4 - Meant to be very funny.

THURSDAY 15TH FEBRUARY

BOYZ N THE HOOD 9pm Five US - Excellent film. Just don't call them 'boy'

FRIDAY 16TH FEBRUARY

TAXI DRIVER 10.50pm Film4 - Mesmerising.

PLATOON 11.15pm BBC1 - I don't know because the bastard DVD I bought never worked.

SATURDAY 17TH FEBRUARY

VERA DRAKE 9pm Channel 4

Seriously Miserable, but excellently performed.

DELIVERANCE 11pm ITV3

"Squeal Piggy!"

RITA, SUE AND BOB TOO 11.25pm Channel 4

"Gerrout o' my FUCKIN' house" absoloutley hilarious.

CARRIE 11.25pm Film4

When a woman becomes sexually ripe she is a scary thing, when she knows it she's horrifying.

SUNDAY 18TH FEBRUARY

BLOW OUT 11pm Film4

Not seen it, but meant to be a classic. Compared to Blow Up regularly.

FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS 3.30am Channel 4

Want to see this, what kind of time is that to put it on. luckily I'm off the next day, probably still won't watch it.

MONDAY 19TH FEBRUARY

KIKI’S DELIVERY SERVICE 9.55am Channel 4

Want to see this, what kind of time is that to put it on. luckily I'm off today, I'll definately watch it.

PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE 9pm Five US

Don't be put off by Adam Sandler, it's a brilliant film. Same bloke that did Magnolia.

THE LAST BOY SCOUT 10pm ITV2

As I've said before, better than the Die Hards.

TUESDAY 20TH FEBRUARY

THE CAT RETURNS 10.35am Channel 4

Another early morning Ghibli, gutted I'm back at work.

THE KRAYS 10.30pm ITV4

One of them was a bit fruity apparently, or were both of them?

WEDNESDAY 21ST FEBRUARY

MOULIN ROUGE 3pm Film4

If you're all bitter and dead inside don't bother, it's a technicolour celebration of musicals and brilliant.

1941 9.35pm ITV3

Not seen it. Spielberg is a legend though. Have you seen the trailer for Bee Movie? Hilarious.

APOCALYPSE NOW 10pm ITV4

"Saigon... shit"

"Charlie don't surf!"

"You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill."

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning"

"The horror... the horror"

THURSDAY 22ND FEBRUARY

THE PINK PANTHER 4pm More4 *

Peter Sellers is a funny man.

STRIPES 9pm ITV4

Bill Murray is a funny man

FRIDAY 23RD FEBRUARY

LAPUTA: CASTLE IN THE SKY 9.35am Channel 4

Want to see this, what kind of time is that to put it on. luckily I'm off today, I'll definately watch it.

EXPLORERS 6.55pm Film4

Loved this when I was a nipper. Tape it for the kids. If they're anything like me they'll go outside and start constructing a spaceship the minute it's over.

EDDIE MURPHY: RAW 10pm ITV4

"Lillian! Can! Not! use the telephone" After delirious it's the second funniest stand up film ever.

SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE 11.35pm BBC2

Very good re-imagining of how Nosferatu might have been filmed. Eddie Izzard's twenties acting is great, but Willem Defoe is the standout turn.

THE DEER HUNTER 11.35pm Film4

"Mao!"

SATURDAY 17TH FEBRUARY

VERA DRAKE 9pm Channel 4

Seriously Miserable, but excellently performed.

DELIVERANCE 11pm ITV3

"Squeal Piggy!"

RITA, SUE AND BOB TOO 11.25pm Channel 4

"Gerrout o' my FUCKIN' house" absoloutley hilarious.

CARRIE 11.25pm Film4

When a woman becomes sexually ripe she is a scary thing, when she knows it she's horrifying.

SUNDAY 18TH FEBRUARY

BLOW OUT 11pm Film4

Not seen it, but meant to be a classic. Compared to Blow Up regularly.

FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS 3.30am Channel 4

Want to see this, what kind of time is that to put it on. luckily I'm off the next day, probably still won't watch it.

MONDAY 19TH FEBRUARY

KIKI’S DELIVERY SERVICE 9.55am Channel 4

PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE 9pm Five US

Don't be put off by Adam Sandler, it's a brilliant film. Same bloke that did Magnolia.

THE LAST BOY SCOUT 10pm ITV2

As I've said before, better than the Die Hards.

TUESDAY 20TH FEBRUARY

THE CAT RETURNS 10.35am Channel 4

Another early morning Ghibli, gutted I'm back at work.

THE KRAYS 10.30pm ITV4

One of them was a bit fruity apparently, or were both of them?

WEDNESDAY 21ST FEBRUARY

MOULIN ROUGE 3pm Film4

If you're all bitter and dead inside don't bother, it's a technicolour celebration of musicals and brilliant.

1941 9.35pm ITV3

Not seen it. Spielberg is a legend though. Have you seen the trailer for Bee Movie? Hilarious.

APOCALYPSE NOW 10pm ITV4

"Saigon... shit"

"Charlie don't surf!"

"You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill."

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning"

"The horror... the horror"

THURSDAY 22ND FEBRUARY

THE PINK PANTHER 4pm More4 *

Peter Sellers is a funny man.

STRIPES 9pm ITV4

Bill Murray is a funny man

FRIDAY 23RD FEBRUARY

LAPUTA: CASTLE IN THE SKY 9.35am Channel 4

EXPLORERS 6.55pm Film4

Loved this when I was a nipper. Tape it for the kids. If they're anything like me they'll go outside and start constructing a spaceship the minute it's over.

EDDIE MURPHY: RAW 10pm ITV4

"Lillian! Can! Not! use the telephone" After delirious it's the second funniest stand up film ever.

SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE 11.35pm BBC2

Very good re-imagining of how Nosferatu might have been filmed. Eddie Izzard's twenties acting is great, but Willem Defoe is the standout turn.

THE DEER HUNTER 11.35pm Film4

"Mao!"

I've got Raw but not seen Delirious as of yet, but it'll have to be something special to beat that stand up Pryor done in Long Beach I think it was.