Scott Parker

Sima

I don't know why people are saying that Parker won't play the holding role. He did it brilliantly last season.

The problem has been that neither of them have been prepared to get into the box enough and support the attackers. Emre finally did this in the second half on Sunday.

The problem seems to be that Roeder see's Emre as the holding player and Parker as the one to be further forward (he's said this in the past iirc) which is just plain wrong for me.

Perhaps when Butt comes on Roeder changes the instructions.

Bit of an overstatement tbh.

There's barely a Newcastle fan that wouldn't have named Parker as our best player last season so no I don't think it's an overstatement at all.

Though I'm sure you'll disagree.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why people are saying that Parker won't play the holding role. He did it brilliantly last season.

The problem has been that neither of them have been prepared to get into the box enough and support the attackers. Emre finally did this in the second half on Sunday.

The problem seems to be that Roeder see's Emre as the holding player and Parker as the one to be further forward (he's said this in the past iirc) which is just plain wrong for me.

There's barely a Newcastle fan that wouldn't have named Parker as our best player last season so no I don't think it's an overstatement at all.

I wouldn't have named him our best player last season.

I've never rated Parker and never will. I really don't see why everyone wanks themselves stupid over him for.

I've never rated Parker and never will. I really don't see why everyone wanks themselves stupid over him for.

Parker's a good player imo. I don't really see that that's in question. What I'm more concerned about is what works as a partnership, but I can't understand anyone trying to claim Parker is a poor player, because he just isn't.

I never said all fans. But I don't think anyone can disagree that the majority of fans would have picked him.

Parker's a good player imo. I don't really see that that's in question. What I'm more concerned about is what works as a partnership, but I can't understand anyone trying to claim Parker is a poor player, because he just isn't.

I agree the Parker Emre partnership isn't right but I'm not convinced it's because Parker can't play the holding role meaning Emre has to sit like some are suggesting.

Like I said Parker did that role last season but Emre still wasn't pushing forward enough.

Personally I don't think Emre contributes enough and I would have Dyer in the centre with Parker or Butt.

My personal view of Parker is that he does alot but with very little end product. I'm impressed with the way he throws himself into tackles but it annoys me when he either turns on the ball and passes it back to the other side or runs a few yards and takes a wild shot at goal.

Oh, and he runs like a knob too. ;)

I think Emre is potentially a bigger asset to the side than Parker because he creates much more. Alongside Parker he's not at his best but alongside Butt he looks much more confident. We need someone to ping the balls forward to Dyer and Martins, Emre can do that.

I would say Emre's end product has been very poor. I keep expecting him to produce goal scoring oppertunities but I very rarely see it.

His style of play just doesn't seem to suit our 4-4-2 and unless we make a radical change (something I don't think our coaching staff are capable of) I don't think we will ever make the best use of Emre.

I'm with DK on this one. I keep expecting more from Emre. For a creative midfielder he creates fuck all, and scores very few goals. Also his free-kicks and corners are generally useless(same can go for Charlie and Milner there too).

Reckon we could go the Chelsea way? Midfield three of Parker, Butt & Emre, with Dyer & N'Zogbia either side of Martins?

That looks like a system that might work but I seriously doubt our coaches are good enough to get us doing it properly.

Funnily enough this is the sort of formation that I think Souness was looking towards before we signed Owen.

I think he had it in mind to play Shearer up top with Luque and Dyer either side and Emre Parker and Bowyer/Faye in the middle.

Of course Dyer and Luque's injury's coupled with Owen and Nobby's signings meant he never tried it.

Reckon we could go the Chelsea way? Midfield three of Parker, Butt & Emre, with Dyer & N'Zogbia either side of Martins?

That looks like a system that might work but I seriously doubt our coaches are good enough to get us doing it properly.

Funnily enough this is the sort of formation that I think Souness was looking towards before we signed Owen.

I think he had it in mind to play Shearer up top with Luque and Dyer either side and Emre Parker and Bowyer/Faye in the middle.

Of course Dyer and Luque's injury's coupled with Owen and Nobby's signings meant he never tried it.

He tried it with Bellamy on the wing too, and look where that got him!

Tried it in 2-0 home defeat to Man Utd IIRC, but as you say the injuries to Dyer, Emre and Luque the following game messed it up.

------------------Given---------------------

Carr-------Boumsong---Taylor----Babayaro

----------Bowyer--Parker---Emre-----------

Dyer----------------------------------Luque

------------------Shearer---------------------

I've been saying for quite a while that Emre and Parker together aren't great. Can't put my finger on it, but they've had a season and a bit to gel and it's just not happening. I've always said Emre should be the one to drop but now I'm not too sure...

I think the problem with the Emre/Parker partnership is that neither is a purely defensive or attacking midefielder and are comfortable in that position. Also I'm not too sure whether their roles have been clearly enough defined which could be why Emre looks better alongside Butt due to the fact that he knows Butt will sit back in the DM role if he ventures forward.

I think the problem with the Emre/Parker partnership is that neither is a purely defensive or attacking midefielder and are comfortable in that position. Also I'm not too sure whether their roles have been clearly enough defined which could be why Emre looks better alongside Butt due to the fact that he knows Butt will sit back in the DM role if he ventures forward.

Might say a lot about our manager when our two centre midfielders aren't sure who should drop and who should push on. From my point of view, it looks like he's told both of them to keep switching the roles which just ends up with both of them sitting deep. You have to say, Nicky Butt has been excellent this season imo.

I can't see how anyone would have named him ahead of Given.

I can't see how anyone would have named him ahead of Given.

Given's ALWAYS our best player though, so that doesn't count ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Record without Parker since March, when he had his illness.

P W D L

12 10 2 0

To be fair, Emre was missing in most of the games at the end of last season as well IIRC. ;)

Exactly.

Bring back Amady Faye! :D

Record without Parker since March, when he had his illness.

P W D L

12 10 2 0

To be fair, Emre was missing in most of the games at the end of last season as well IIRC. ;)

Exactly.

Bring back Amady Faye! :D

Now we are talking about a proper player. :unsure: