Wes Brown

Scottish Mag

This is where Leazes will tell you that SJH never wanted Keegan and it was actually Shepherd, Hall Jr and Fletcher who wanted him.

:(

which is, of course, correct.

Well done.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eerrr.....trophy winning managers ?

If you have a problem with appointing trophy winning managers, and backing them with the money to get on with the job, what criteria would you adopt ?

This is a fundamental, and serious, question, that I have asked on numerous occasions, and so far all the bright sparks that criticise - through hindsight and nothing else - have still not answered this question. Why don't you set the ball rolling.

And - regular european football over the last decade, and overall since 1992, suggest that the choices haven't been too bad ........ no Wenger or Ferguson, but we will see how Arsenal and manu get on when they move on ... as always, you are totally unrealistic, a failing of many people on this board.

Criteria?

I'd look for a manager who had shown a genuine ability to improve the fortunes of the club that they inherited. Not a manager who rode the coat-tails of the previous top dog, using their foundations as a successful platform.

I'd search for a manger who shows tactical nous, the ability to read a game and adapt to get the best from his team.

signing a manager based on a couple of cup victories alone is akin to buying a car simply because it's got shiney alloys imo.

I could take over Chelsea a day before the Cup final, tell the lads to keep doing what they've been doing all season. Sit back and bingo, I'm a manager with cup pedigree... enough to get employ by your criteria.

regular european football over the past decade does show a degree of success. But like I said before, it's despite some god-awful appointments and decisions, not because of sterling chairmanship.

the major signings we've made recently have been to silence the dissenters. They were not a well judged purchase with a view to laying strong foundations from which we couldimprove our lot on the pitch.

does that smack of

a) good business sense and sound financial acumen?

2) an exercise in ego-management by the fatman?

III) 50 cent

but we forget that you have, with bulldog determination, defended Shepherd to the hilt, and certainly will continue to do so, long after he is removed. So this was a waste of my time.

This is like fencing with a blunt epee, it's fun enough but at the end of the day it's totally pointless.

Edited by The Fish

eerrr.....trophy winning managers ?

If you have a problem with appointing trophy winning managers, and backing them with the money to get on with the job, what criteria would you adopt ?

This is a fundamental, and serious, question, that I have asked on numerous occasions, and so far all the bright sparks that criticise - through hindsight and nothing else - have still not answered this question. Why don't you set the ball rolling.

And - regular european football over the last decade, and overall since 1992, suggest that the choices haven't been too bad ........ no Wenger or Ferguson, but we will see how Arsenal and manu get on when they move on ... as always, you are totally unrealistic, a failing of many people on this board.

Criteria?

I'd look for a manager who had shown a genuine ability to improve the fortunes of the club that they inherited. Not a manager who rode the coat-tails of the previous top dog, using their foundations as a successful platform.

I'd search for a manger who shows tactical nous, the ability to read a game and adapt to get the best from his team.

signing a manager based on a couple of cup victories alone is akin to buying a car simply because it's got shiney alloys imo.

I could take over Chelsea a day before the Cup final, tell the lads to keep doing what they've been doing all season. Sit back and bingo, I'm a manager with cup pedigree... enough to get employ by your criteria.

regular european football over the past decade does show a degree of success. But like I said before, it's despite some god-awful appointments and decisions, not because of sterling chairmanship.

the major signings we've made recently have been to silence the dissenters. They were not a well judged purchase with a view to laying strong foundations from which we couldimprove our lot on the pitch.

does that smack of

a) good business sense and sound financial acumen?

2) an exercise in ego-management by the fatman?

III) 50 cent

but we forget that you have, with bulldog determination, defended Shepherd to the hilt, and certainly will continue to do so, long after he is removed. So this was a waste of my time.

This is like fencing with a blunt epee, it's fun enough but at the end of the day it's totally pointless.

Well, Kenny Dalglish and Ruud Gullit improved the fortunes of Liverpool, Blackburn and Chelsea respectively. Even the Scottish fuckpig improved the fortunes of Rangers, and Blackburn initially, and even won a trophy with them.

Dalglish certainly knew how to win the League title, as he did it with 2 different clubs.

So how does that grab you ? Or didn't you know.

What other criteria would you choose, now that the board have selected managers based on the same criteria that you yourself woud adopt ?

Don't let any facts get in the way of a serious reply ? And try using factual information before making "opinions", because if you do you may arrive at a correct conclusion.

I don't see many people complaining about "business acumen" when the club buys top players, but if you prefer them not to buy top players, then true mediocrity awaits you, as you clearly don't know the meaning of the word if you think that is what you have experienced over the past decade.

Well, Kenny Dalglish and Ruud Gullit improved the fortunes of Liverpool, Blackburn and Chelsea respectively. Even the Scottish fuckpig improved the fortunes of Rangers, and Blackburn initially, and even won a trophy with them.

what shite, The teams they inherited could, and should have become far more dominant/successful than they were. You're so hung up on trophies you don't see the bigger picture.

Dalglish certainly knew how to win the League title, as he did it with 2 different clubs.

What other criteria would you choose, now that the board have selected managers based on the same criteria that you yourself woud adopt ?

Well apart from the other things I mentioned... try reading a post before you slate it in your tremedously unjustified condescending manner.

I said

Now a bit of research on Dalglish, Gullit, Souness and Roeder would have revealed the reality. Their methods and manner were entirely unsuitable for the position.

Dalglish couldn't have success with someone else team, so he destroyed the team that (with a little tinkering) could have won a title.

Gullit has to be the superstar at the club and couldn't stand to share the limelight with Shearer and struggled with the established/senior players

Souness had a well documented history of falling out with players, playing bad football and making poor decisions in the transfer market.

Roeder is a decent first team coach, but he lacks the hard edge needed to be a top flight manager, he hasn't the experience or assurance to make hard decisions when it comes to team selection.

all this was pretty obvious to people before their appointments, but as with all fans we were so caught up in the possible positives we forgot the more likely negatives.

The ONLY manager whose track record, approach to the game and personality that fit this club was Sir Bob... This is one decent appointment who (imo) was signed more to appease growing unrest amongst the fans, than any real genius fromt he chairman. Any mug could see he was the perfect man for the job, and of course he fit FFS' personal checklist "Is he Geordie? Is he well known?"

and we all saw how well Freddy dealt with Bobby.. :(

Don't let any facts get in the way of a serious reply ? And try using factual information before making "opinions", because if you do you may arrive at a correct conclusion.

I gave you a serious reply and you, yet again, preferred derision and condescension ahead of genuine discourse. Well slap my arse and call me charlie, isn't that surprising. :D

I don't see many people complaining about "business acumen" when the club buys top players,
Then you clearly don't read message boards, plenty of people have asked the question, Why have we spent £5m on a left winger when Robert Huth, Woodgate, Campbell, were all available for far less? I'd rather we signed four defenders who we4re solid, dependable and likely to improve the fortunes of the team on the pitch, ahead of yet another fucking luxury midfielder. We had already 3 first team players who can play left wing with some degree of aplomb, why in the name of all that is holy did we waste five million pounds on a left winger?

but if you prefer them not to buy top players, then true mediocrity awaits you, as you clearly don't know the meaning of the word if you think that is what you have experienced over the past decade.

That's where you're wrong Leazes I have experienced mediochrity. I read your arguments and think they are at best mediochre.

but you pigheadedness aside, you're right only in signing top players will we escape the mire... however you could have a talented first team, but if you've a dodgy manager, dodgy scouts, dodgy coaches, dodgy chairman... they're not going to get the results.

look at our team on paper.... we've a good midfield, certainly better than half of the premiership, we've one of (if not the) best keeper in the premiership.

We've a good striker and when he returns a great striker. We have a decent centre half and a promising centre half.

what we lack are fullbacks, and a striker to put the ball in the net until Owen is fit... or at least support Martins.

but what did our Chairman sign? a left winger.

so in short... be as patronising and petty as you like Leazes, but you're trying to ice-skate up hill and you just look like an idiot.

we, the majority are right, Freddy Shepherd is not a good chairman, he give financial support but makes bad decisions, time after time.

what shite, The teams they inherited could, and should have become far more dominant/successful than they were. You're so hung up on trophies you don't see the bigger picture.

Well apart from the other things I mentioned... try reading a post before you slate it in your tremedously unjustified condescending manner.

I said

Now a bit of research on Dalglish, Gullit, Souness and Roeder would have revealed the reality. Their methods and manner were entirely unsuitable for the position.

Dalglish couldn't have success with someone else team, so he destroyed the team that (with a little tinkering) could have won a title.

Gullit has to be the superstar at the club and couldn't stand to share the limelight with Shearer and struggled with the established/senior players

Souness had a well documented history of falling out with players, playing bad football and making poor decisions in the transfer market.

Roeder is a decent first team coach, but he lacks the hard edge needed to be a top flight manager, he hasn't the experience or assurance to make hard decisions when it comes to team selection.

all this was pretty obvious to people before their appointments, but as with all fans we were so caught up in the possible positives we forgot the more likely negatives.

The ONLY manager whose track record, approach to the game and personality that fit this club was Sir Bob... This is one decent appointment who (imo) was signed more to appease growing unrest amongst the fans, than any real genius fromt he chairman. Any mug could see he was the perfect man for the job, and of course he fit FFS' personal checklist "Is he Geordie? Is he well known?"

and we all saw how well Freddy dealt with Bobby.. :lol:

I gave you a serious reply and you, yet again, preferred derision and condescension ahead of genuine discourse. Well slap my arse and call me charlie, isn't that surprising. :blink:

I don't see many people complaining about "business acumen" when the club buys top players,
Then you clearly don't read message boards, plenty of people have asked the question, Why have we spent £5m on a left winger when Robert Huth, Woodgate, Campbell, were all available for far less? I'd rather we signed four defenders who we4re solid, dependable and likely to improve the fortunes of the team on the pitch, ahead of yet another fucking luxury midfielder. We had already 3 first team players who can play left wing with some degree of aplomb, why in the name of all that is holy did we waste five million pounds on a left winger?

but if you prefer them not to buy top players, then true mediocrity awaits you, as you clearly don't know the meaning of the word if you think that is what you have experienced over the past decade.

That's where you're wrong Leazes I have experienced mediochrity. I read your arguments and think they are at best mediochre.

but you pigheadedness aside, you're right only in signing top players will we escape the mire... however you could have a talented first team, but if you've a dodgy manager, dodgy scouts, dodgy coaches, dodgy chairman... they're not going to get the results.

look at our team on paper.... we've a good midfield, certainly better than half of the premiership, we've one of (if not the) best keeper in the premiership.

We've a good striker and when he returns a great striker. We have a decent centre half and a promising centre half.

what we lack are fullbacks, and a striker to put the ball in the net until Owen is fit... or at least support Martins.

but what did our Chairman sign? a left winger.

so in short... be as patronising and petty as you like Leazes, but you're trying to ice-skate up hill and you just look like an idiot.

we, the majority are right, Freddy Shepherd is not a good chairman, he give financial support but makes bad decisions, time after time.

What a load of tosh.

You say that Dalglish and Gullit [who improved Chelsea a lot] won the trophies they did, especially Dalglish, yet lacked "tactical nous, the ability to read a game and adapt to get the best from his team." How do you think they won the trophies, ace comment that like, unbelievable....as is "blinded by trophies"....haha :D next time you post about NUFC, don't bother saying you want to win trophies.

A bit of research would reveal they were capable of winning trophies ... :( Biggest load of tripe I've read in ages.

I hoped I would get a serious reply, but honestly this makes no sense....and have nothing to say about the rest other than its just a cliche driven rant that means nothing. Nobody quibbled about Duff when he signed, we needed forwards. A proven quality player for 5m with his best years to come, is a good signing.

You fail to grasp reality. Woodgate wanted to play for his hometown club, so its pointless going on about him. Campbell would have wanted massive wages and maybe just a quick payday ? Who knows. People would then have said we should have spent this on a forward ...

You can't get every player you want. Nobody does.

EDIT. Actually, I will add to the latter part of your post. You are absolutely right. We DO need someone to put the ball in the net, and produce good attacking play, especially from midfield, and support the forwards. That is blindingly obvious, although some don't think so :( This need is so urgent, you answer your own comments about signing defenders, spending money on Huth just wasn't necessary when a player like Duff was available. I will take issue with Roeder buying Martins though, I think this was a tremendous risk, and said so at the time. He needed this signing to be someone who would settle in from day 1. Having watched Martins, I think he has potential, but have doubts that he will realise it because he lacks composure, and I have not seen many players who somehow develop it, they either have it or they don't. When he gets more support we will have our answer. But Roeders fortunes and ours rest on how he spends his money, like any manager. He must get his signing of a forward/goalscorer right in January or he's a goner.

Edited by LeazesMag

Duff hasn't look a shadow of the player he seemed to be becoming.

and I'm just going to ignore your ridiculous tone, it's designed to provoke and I'm glad to say that it's beneath me to rise to it.

Gullit did not improve chelsea a lot, he didn't take the club forward in my opinion. He was as stagnant at Chelsea as he was at NEwcastle. They didn't become more or less succesful, they just... tread water.

how did they win trophies? their team was better than the team they played against... fucking simple really. I didn't see any genius tactical play by Souness, Gullit or Dalglish in their victories I saw good players performing at a level sufficient to see off their opponent. How... pray tell did this transfer to NEwcastle... Gullit and Dalglish, both cup winning managers took our club to the final... surely good managers could have sufficently spurred on the team to at least give a performance... isntead what we saw were two years of pathetic cowardice when push finally came to shove.

but it's not really the managers where we disagree is it. It's the Chairman.

I don't for one minute think you truly believe that any of the managers I've talked about (bar Robson) were right for the Newcastle Job. I would wager that even before these appointments were made, even someone whose loyalty to Shepherd is staggering, had doubts over Gullit's attitude, Souness' god awful man management and Roeder's apparent tactiacl ineptitude.

if not why not?

I cannot for one minute believe that you thought Roeder was the right man for the job, not when there was a decent stock of possible candidates out there.

I cannot for one minute believe you had faith that Souness was the right man to take over from Robson, even if there was not the wealth of talent we had hoped for.

I truly pray you didn't think Gullits ego could merge with Shearer's...

If any of these statement are true, then it's you who are the ( insert insult you throw around so merrily).

Oh and Bollocks, "No-one quibbled about signing Duff". I did, I'm positive others on here did... I'd say the running theme in most discussions about his signature would sound something like

"Did you hear we signed Duff?"

"Aye, £5m, not bad for a player of his quality"

"Aye, it's not bad.... still we don't need a left winger, we need a defence."

"You know Huth's supposed to be going to the Boro'?"

"Aye, Woodgate an'all"

"Campbells away to Portsmouth"

"Wouldn't have minded them like... even if Campbell's only here for a season, eh's still better than what we've got."

I know that's how a few conversations I had about the subject went. But of course in your head, no-one quibbled. :D

How can you say we need a striker, then say that you take issue with signing a striker... then go on to defend the signature of a left winger... who doesn't actually have that great a goal scoring record...?

What's the point of ANOTHER left winger?

N'Zogbia (promising, hard working, still a bit of an unknown quantity

Luque (£9m player who should either put the ball in the net or at least put it on someones head)

Milner (see N'Zogbia, without the unknown quantity)

Emre (never really pressed into service out wide... but he can play there...)

That's pre-Duff... that £5m could have been spent on Huth's dsignature and his and Campbell's wages.

Justify his signing, please to make me smile, find a way to justify the signature of a Left Winger ahead of a center half who knows what they're fucking doing, a right back who isn't a poor mans Andy Griffin or a Left Back who has one solitary ounce of bottle and/or positional nous about them

This signing had Shepherd's grubby fingers all over it. He signed Duff to keep people like you content. "Whey we're going in the right direction, look at who we signed.. Duff... that's a big name that is man."

I don't want a name... I'd be happy as larry is we had a first team devoid of superstar names as long as we stopped stupid fucking mistakes at the back, playing long ball to short strikers and playing the ball over the ehads of the one position where we've actually got a bit of talent. (that's midfield by the way)

I wish Our fortunes lay in the hands of someone more shrewde in the transfer market, but I refuse point blank to lay the blame solely at the feet of Roeder.

I reckon he's done his best with what little ability he has in this field. I think Freddy has bought and sold more players than Roeder. I think Shepherd has the power to veto the selling of a player, just as he has the power to force a manager into signing a player he doesn't really want.

I don't think Rooney was Robsons idea, I think it was shepherd trying to appease the crowd, and while anyone would love to see Rooney pull on their Jersey, every man jack of us knew he was never....ever... going to sign for Newcastle United.

It was Freddy Shepherd being an egomaniacal twat, and you seem to be the type of person who would have bought it hook line and sinker.

save your derision for the people who don't see you for what you are. A pathetic man screaming at the top of his lungs, demanding everyones attention and then saying nothing remotely relvant or intetresting.

hows that for a "cliche drive rant"

:(

It was understandable that we wn for Dalgleish imo, great record. Mentioning him and Gullit in the same breath though...... :(

My first doubts about the present board (i.e. the one with Shepherd as chairman) were sown after the appointment of Gullit which was plain crazy. To give Dalglish the summer to buy players only to sack him after TWO league games, then replace him with a dreadlocked fool who had completely lost the plot at Chelsea, and was on record as having a personal problem with Shearer, was the act of madness. Madness that we have come to expect over the last decade though, and continued madness that may yet kill this club.

Some people are too blind to see this though. :D

The Fish is doing a good job of not getting involved in the arguments with Leazes. :(

it's like a black hole, no matter how hard you try to fight it, you just get dragged in.

:D

but you're right, I should leave this the fuck alone.

hindsight

Gullit did not improve chelsea a lot, he didn't take the club forward in my opinion. He was as stagnant at Chelsea as he was at NEwcastle. They didn't become more or less succesful, they just... tread water.

won the FA Cup, and left them in the top 4 in the league and still in europe.

how did they win trophies? their team was better than the team they played against... fucking simple really. I didn't see any genius tactical play by Souness, Gullit or Dalglish in their victories I saw good players performing at a level sufficient to see off their opponent. How... pray tell did this transfer to NEwcastle... Gullit and Dalglish, both cup winning managers took our club to the final... surely good managers could have sufficently spurred on the team to at least give a performance... isntead what we saw were two years of pathetic cowardice when push finally came to shove.

whose fault is it the team played so badly on the day ?

I don't for one minute think you truly believe that any of the managers I've talked about (bar Robson) were right for the Newcastle Job. I would wager that even before these appointments were made, even someone whose loyalty to Shepherd is staggering, had doubts over Gullit's attitude, Souness' god awful man management and Roeder's apparent tactiacl ineptitude.

if not why not?

I wouldn't. It was someone else's decision ie THE BOARD, NOT ONE INDIVIDUAL PERSON. But choosing managers who win trophies, thats what we want. If they couldn't attract managers who were trophy winners ie like the previous board for 30+ years, or other big city clubs that can't for instance ... then I would understand your point and be mega pissed off, as I was for 30 - odd years for that very reason.

I cannot for one minute believe that you thought Roeder was the right man for the job, not when there was a decent stock of possible candidates out there.

I didn't, but the club has tried something different, and gave him a chance based on his affinity with the club and the good job he did as a caretaker. You have to understand that. You also have to realise we aren't the only club that has done this. Liverpool have, ManU have, Chelsea have. If it doesn't work, he'll go of course,

but the question is, who on here think the club should stick to their "plan"..... :( and leave him in charge.

If any of these statement are true, then it's you who are the ( insert insult you throw around so merrily).

Oh and Bollocks, "No-one quibbled about signing Duff". I did, I'm positive others on here did... I'd say the running theme in most discussions about his signature would sound something like

some did, they said we needed defenders. I disagree and still do.

How can you say we need a striker, then say that you take issue with signing a striker... then go on to defend the signature of a left winger... who doesn't actually have that great a goal scoring record...?

We need a forward/striker, and we need a midfield player who will get into the box. We would not need a striker so much if Martins had stepped straight into the team and scored goals like Cole did. I have said this on many occasions. It was Roeders risk, and a high one. He will pay with his job if we don't improve, fast.

I would defend Duff - as I've said all along - there is nothing wrong with paying 5m quid for a player who can play in 2 or 3 forward positions, with the best years of his career to come, and Solano turned 30. I don't expect anyone to realise this could be termed forward planning, or give any credit for it though.

I don't think Rooney was Robsons idea, I think it was shepherd trying to appease the crowd, and while anyone would love to see Rooney pull on their Jersey, every man jack of us knew he was never....ever... going to sign for Newcastle United.

I would be surprised if Robson didn't want Rooney. Such a player is possibly the chairmans idea, purely because of the amount of money involved. Bobby Robson would be unlikely to ask his board for 25m quid, but would be pleasantly surprised if he was offered the opportunity. I would be.

It was Freddy Shepherd being an egomaniacal twat, and you seem to be the type of person who would have bought it hook line and sinker.

unfortunately, I think that Shepherds constant comments about how wonderful the club is, and how we have a divine right to be a huge winning club , is the type of thing that many members of this board fall for, and repeat. But they don't realise it.

save your derision for the people who don't see you for what you are. A pathetic man screaming at the top of his lungs, demanding everyones attention and then saying nothing remotely relvant or intetresting.

not bad. Like it or not though, there aren't many people on here, if anyone, who has seen NUFC more than me...hows that for attention seeking :D

I would prefer you listened though, and saw sense sometimes instead.

Edited by LeazesMag

hindsight

won the FA Cup, and left them in the top 4 in the league and still in europe.

whose fault is it the team played so badly on the day ?

if not why not?

I wouldn't. It was someone else's decision ie THE BOARD, NOT ONE INDIVIDUAL PERSON. But choosing managers who win trophies, thats what we want. If they couldn't attract managers who were trophy winners ie like the previous board for 30+ years, or other big city clubs that can't for instance ... then I would understand your point and be mega pissed off, as I was for 30 - odd years for that very reason.

I didn't, but the club has tried something different, and gave him a chance based on his affinity with the club and the good job he did as a caretaker. You have to understand that. You also have to realise we aren't the only club that has done this. Liverpool have, ManU have, Chelsea have. If it doesn't work, he'll go of course,

but the question is, who on here think the club should stick to their "plan"..... :D and leave him in charge.

some did, they said we needed defenders. I disagree and still do.

We need a forward/striker, and we need a midfield player who will get into the box. We would not need a striker so much if Martins had stepped straight into the team and scored goals like Cole did. I have said this on many occasions. It was Roeders risk, and a high one. He will pay with his job if we don't improve, fast.

I would defend Duff - as I've said all along - there is nothing wrong with paying 5m quid for a player who can play in 2 or 3 forward positions, with the best years of his career to come, and Solano turned 30. I don't expect anyone to realise this could be termed forward planning, or give any credit for it though.

I would be surprised if Robson didn't want Rooney. Such a player is possibly the chairmans idea, purely because of the amount of money involved. Bobby Robson would be unlikely to ask his board for 25m quid, but would be pleasantly surprised if he was offered the opportunity. I would be.

unfortunately, I think that Shepherds constant comments about how wonderful the club is, and how we have a right to be a huge club, is the type of thing that many members of this board fall for, and repeat. But they don't realise it.

not bad. Like it or not though, there aren't many people on here, if anyone, who has seen NUFC more than me...hows that for attention seeking :(

I would prefer you listened though, and saw sense sometimes instead.

Was it you that Keith Burkinshaw was referring to when he went to Spurs??? :(

Asked about Newcastle, Burkinshaw said, 'The problem with Newcastle, is they're all experts there.'

i reckon he'd be a good buy

aye, and you think the board you call shit would conjure up 20m quid to buy the forwards we really need on top of the money for him, assuming you still stupidly think defenders is our main need and priority ... :(

aye, and you think the board you call shit would conjure up 20m quid to buy the forwards we really need on top of the money for him, assuming you still stupidly think defenders is our main need and priority ... :(

you don't have much to say do you

adds more to the debate than you tbh. :(

adds more to the debate than you tbh. :(

why don't you respond to him then ?

OMG HINDSIGHT

intelligent lad, obviously.

Like Dan the brain, who somehow thinks his own comments are hilarious. Odd.

Edited by LeazesMag

OMG HINDSIGHT

where have you been hiding recently anyway leazes? have you been too busy revelling in the success we're enjoying under shepherd to share your pearls of wisom with toontastic?

this board is far duller when you're not around to amuse us. maybe you should plan to stick around :(

OMG HINDSIGHT

where have you been hiding recently anyway leazes? have you been too busy revelling in the success we're enjoying under shepherd to share your pearls of wisom with toontastic?

this board is far duller when you're not around to amuse us. maybe you should plan to stick around ;)

Do you still think we need defenders more than forwards .. :lol:

And, you wouldn't know true mediocrity if it hit you on the head with a rusty hammer.

And, you wouldn't know true mediocrity if it hit you on the head with a rusty hammer.

:lol: Only because the fall we've experienced under dickwad has been so rapid that we skipped it altogether and opted immediately for "shit", bypassing mediocrity on the way.

OMG HINDSIGHT

this board is far duller when you're not around to amuse us. maybe you should plan to stick around ;)

Carr - shit

Babayaro - shit

Moore - leaving

Bramble - shit and leaving

Bernard - does he still have a contract with us?

Ramage - can be shit

Taylor - starting to look the business.

Don't you think we need defenders then?

Compare that to..

Martins - still not adapted to the league, but has also been injured

Owen - injured, hopefully back before the end of the season

Ameobi - would have been fit by now if it weren't for the stupid decision to delay his op

Dyer - team looks better with him in it

Sibierski - scoring for fun ;)

Rossi - will he ever be given a chance?

Duff - failed to live up to the expectations Roeder had of him

So all in all, we need quite a few defenders, and one or two forward players. How can you say that the only priority is strikers? If we weren't so shite at defending, maybe our strikers would get more of the ball?

OMG HINDSIGHT

Carr - shit

Babayaro - shit

Moore - leaving

Bramble - shit and leaving

Bernard - does he still have a contract with us?

Ramage - can be shit

Taylor - starting to look the business.

Don't you think we need defenders then?

Compare that to..

Martins - still not adapted to the league, but has also been injured

Owen - injured, hopefully back before the end of the season

Ameobi - would have been fit by now if it weren't for the stupid decision to delay his op

Dyer - team looks better with him in it

Sibierski - scoring for fun ;)

Rossi - will he ever be given a chance?

Duff - failed to live up to the expectations Roeder had of him

So all in all, we need quite a few defenders, and one or two forward players. How can you say that the only priority is strikers? If we weren't so shite at defending, maybe our strikers would get more of the ball?

Quite simple dear boy.

One is a judgement I made back in August. Which was based on a thought that we wouldn't score goals or be offensive enough to take pressure off the defenders. And that having lost Shearer and Bellamy from the team of 2 years ago, we had nobody able to replace either of them.

Two, is if you look at our goals scored this season, and goals against, it proves the statement to be completely correct.