Wes Brown

Scottish Mag

Newcastle are being linked with a bid for Manchester United defender Wes Brown who could be on the move for £4million.

The defender has become frustrated with his lack of first-team action at Old Trafford and has already held showdown talks with Reds boss Sir Alex Ferguson over his future.

The 27-year-old still has 18 months to run on his current deal with United but could be heading out of Old Trafford much sooner with a host of clubs said to be keen.

Magpies boss Glenn Roeder is keen to strengthen his backline and will no doubt be keen on the versatile star should Ferguson make him available for transfer.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprised to hear he's 27 like. I thought he was younger than that.

Seems to have improved a lot over the last season or after having a couple of indifferent years.

Better than Bramble or Moore (or Taylor or Ramage at the moment) but I would prefer to see us sign someone who's been consistantly playing each season as oppose to someone who has seemed to be a reserve year after year.

We really can't afford to pay that type of money for a defender - at least not if we want a striker too, which for me is the priority.

I'd rather not concede and draw, than score and lose.

We really can't afford to pay that type of money for a defender - at least not if we want a striker too, which for me is the priority.

Scoring and winning is my preference.

Scoring and winning is my preference.

Mine too and goals, or lack of them, are our most acute problem. With a decent centre forward on Sunday we should have won much more comfortably.

Anyway, Roeder's budget is going to be seriously limited. I really can't see us getting a defender for £4M and the extra that would put on our wage bill.

well course I'd like to score and win, but I don't have any confidence in the current back four, I could see us signing a decent striker and failing to win games because of the back four.

I'd rather we signed a £4m defender than another £9m toothless forward who fails to impress and fucks off back to Spain for £4m

Our big problem so far has been a failure to score though. I'd love to see a couple of full-backs arrive in January but we definitely need another striker imo.

well course I'd like to score and win, but I don't have any confidence in the current back four, I could see us signing a decent striker and failing to win games because of the back four.

I'd rather we signed a £4m defender than another £9m toothless forward who fails to impress and fucks off back to Spain for £4m

I'd rather we don't buy "another £9m toothless forward who fails to impress and fucks off back to Spain for £4m" as well though.

Incidentally, I have very little faith in Roeder's capabilities when it comes to signings, period.

I'd say a goal scorer is the priority. At the back we aren't brilliant but aren't conceeding that many. A big problem is that if teams see that we are toothless in attack, which we have been so far, then they will throw more caution to the wind and subject our defence to more pressure safe in the knowledge that we won't hit them on the counter. A definite goal threat would put opposing defences on the back foot and thus make the entire team drop a bit, relieving pressure on our defence.

Our defence clearly needs improvement especially when you consider Bramble and Moore's contracts are up at the end of the season and hopefully won't be renewed.

But our biggest problem clearly is not scoring enough goals and we have to do something about that as soon as possible.

I'd say a goal scorer is the priority. At the back we aren't brilliant but aren't conceeding that many. A big problem is that if teams see that we are toothless in attack, which we have been so far, then they will throw more caution to the wind and subject our defence to more pressure safe in the knowledge that we won't hit them on the counter. A definite goal threat would put opposing defences on the back foot and thus make the entire team drop a bit, relieving pressure on our defence.

I am still not conviced by our back four and the "miracles" of Pearson. There are always periods where the imbeciles seem to do well (i.e. overperforming), but in fact in recent games they haven't really got tested by top teams (with the exception of Arsenal where it was rather the stupidy of them than the brilliance of us).

So if the right man who could even more stabilise the defence came along I'd rather sign him than another striker. I think in midfield and even the attack we do have enough players capable to create and score goals if we actually try to play football. So basically, I just expect more from these players, while I only can expect less from our defenders.

Edited by Isegrim

I am still not conviced by our back four and the "miracles" of Pearson. There are always periods where the imbeciles seem to do well (i.e. overperforming), but in fact in recent games they haven't really got tested by top teams (with the exception of Arsenal where it was rather the stupidy of them than the brilliance of us).

So if the right man who could even more stabilise the defence came along I'd rather sign him than another striker. I think in midfield and even the attack we do have enough players capable to create and score goals if we actually try to play football. So basically, I just expect more from these players, while I only can expect less from our defenders.

Only if Dyer is fit tbh. We look seriously unable to create anything most of the time this season and that's regardless of the opposition.

Only if Dyer is fit tbh. We look seriously unable to create anything most of the time this season and that's regardless of the opposition.

IMHO that is not down to the fact that we are missing a striker who can score goals or the ability in the team but rather down to the coaching and match tactics. The problem lies in midfield (and the hoofers in defence).

Of course the current strikers aren't giving the midfield too much options, but especially Dyer shows that it just needs an approach in taking the game at the opposition. The likes of Duff, N'Zogbia, Milner, Solano, Emre, Parker should normally be able to do the same.

As I said, I do expect our attacking game to pick up anyway, but I also expect the standard of our defensive display to vastly drop against better opposition. I know in which players I rather do put my hope in...