classic freddie shepherd quotes

Dr Gloom

best (or worst depending how you look at) shepherd gaffes  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"He has said he will quit but, listen, I said I loved my wife when I left her this morning. Things change." -- Shepherd on Alan Shearer reversing his decision to retire.

how could i forget that classic?

he's used it more than once iirc

"Indeed, if I did not know that Glenn Roeder is a cockney from east London, I would say he was one of us because he shows all the qualities of a Geordie."

sums him and his management style up perfectly.

twat

“If he was standing in front of me I’d punch him on the nose.” - Freddy on John Barnwell from the LMA

that's actually quite funny. anyone reckon shepherd could 'have' barnwell in a fight?

• 1 month later...

i felt compelled to add this, especially in light of last night's performance:

"Even when Manchester United were bringing the likes of the Neville brothers, Ryan Giggs, David Beckham and Paul Scholes through, they did not have the numbers that we have here at the moment.

It goes without saying that our planning and long-term strategy, which was started with Glenn Roeder at the Academy and has been taken on by Joe Joyce, is finally paying off."

"They say you should only say good things about people when they're gone. Marcelino's gone. Good". (also said it when Robert left, and will no doubt repeat it when Babayaro, Luque, etc. go too.)

he loves banging out the one about loving his wife too. must have heard it at least two or three times

"Our recent record shows we can be trusted to deliver quality players. I'm not going to say too much at this stage but I think the fans will be pleasantly surprised at what results from the Woodgate deal. We didn't go into the Woodgate transfer without a long-term plan. All will be revealed soon."

And the link:

Shepherd in spending pledge

Sunday, 22 August, 2004

Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd says the £15m from Jonathan Woodgate's sale will be used for team building.

Shepherd said the decision to sell Woodgate to Real Madrid was his as the offer was "too good to turn down".

He told the Sunday Mirror: "We did not go into the transfer without a long-term plan and our record shows we can be trusted to deliver quality players.

"I am not going to say too much but I think fans will be pleasantly surprised at what results from the deal."

Shepherd also admitted that Woodgate's recent injury record was instrumental in his decision to sell the England defender.

He said: "Jonathan is a great player but he has been dogged by injuries.

"He has been unlucky in that respect but, as someone once said, there is no point having a Rolls-Royce if it spends most of its time in the garage.

"We hope Jonathan will get over his injury problems and go on to have a long and successful career with Real and England.

"But I won't pretend that his appearance record at Newcastle wasn't a factor in our decision to sell him.

"He hasn't played for us since April and was going to be out for at least another month.

"When I weighed up the pros and cons it was obvious we had to accept the offer."

However, Newcastle boss Sir Bobby Robson said that Woodgate's sale was under protest.

Robson revealed: "The chairman informed me a bid had come in for Jonathan and I said to him: 'You're aware I don't want to lose him, aren't you?'

"I told him: 'You are aware we will be losing the finest centre-half in the country?'

"I always wanted to fight and keep him but when Madrid came in I knew it would be hard.

"But quite simply, if it had been my choice, I would have kept him.

"We've lost a great player and how much of a blow that is will depend on who we can get to replace him."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/3588154.stm

"Our recent record shows we can be trusted to deliver quality players. I'm not going to say too much at this stage but I think the fans will be pleasantly surprised at what results from the Woodgate deal. We didn't go into the Woodgate transfer without a long-term plan. All will be revealed soon."

And the link:

Sunday, 22 August, 2004

Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd says the £15m from Jonathan Woodgate's sale will be used for team building.

Shepherd said the decision to sell Woodgate to Real Madrid was his as the offer was "too good to turn down".

He told the Sunday Mirror: "We did not go into the transfer without a long-term plan and our record shows we can be trusted to deliver quality players.

"I am not going to say too much but I think fans will be pleasantly surprised at what results from the deal."

Shepherd also admitted that Woodgate's recent injury record was instrumental in his decision to sell the England defender.

"He has been unlucky in that respect but, as someone once said, there is no point having a Rolls-Royce if it spends most of its time in the garage.

"We hope Jonathan will get over his injury problems and go on to have a long and successful career with Real and England.

"But I won't pretend that his appearance record at Newcastle wasn't a factor in our decision to sell him.

"He hasn't played for us since April and was going to be out for at least another month.

"When I weighed up the pros and cons it was obvious we had to accept the offer."

However, Newcastle boss Sir Bobby Robson said that Woodgate's sale was under protest.

Robson revealed: "The chairman informed me a bid had come in for Jonathan and I said to him: 'You're aware I don't want to lose him, aren't you?'

"I told him: 'You are aware we will be losing the finest centre-half in the country?'

"I always wanted to fight and keep him but when Madrid came in I knew it would be hard.

"We've lost a great player and how much of a blow that is will depend on who we can get to replace him."

classic.

And the link:

Sunday, 22 August, 2004

Brilliant. Especially now knowing that what we got out of the Woodgate deal was a half arsed bid for Rooney and eventually Boumsong.

The Shearer one still gives me a chuckle, mainly because of the 'seven bells' bit. :baby:

"Indeed, if I did not know that Glenn Roeder is a cockney from east London, I would say he was one of us because he shows all the qualities of a Geordie."

This is the worst...

Ottmar Hitzfeld? To be fair, I've never heard of the bloke.

"The Hitzfeld stuff is all part of a betting scam." :baby:

;) Gold! There was something about 'The lunatic fringe' too iirc.