Roeder - A man of dignity

aimaad22

Ive been highly impressed with the way Roeder's conducted himself throughout the season so far, most of which has been chaotic. He's had probably the worst luck imaginable with injuries, but unlike Souness he doesnt blame them for the team's performance and points out what went wrong and needs to be fixed. In the Everton post match interview he was asked how we're going to deal with the ridiculous injury list especially after Ramage's loss and he calmly replied that Butt will fill in that role.

All of us expect to be hammered by the scum tomorrow, how easy must it have been for Roeder to start whinging about the players out and how anyone would have struggled in such a situation, almost excusing himself from a probable ManUtd defeat. I think Roeder realises that kind of attitude would have been confidence draining for the currently fit players, and its important to show them that he's got faith in them.

And its not just his attitude towards the injury situation that is pleasing, its also refreshing to see someone conduct himself in such a dignified manner under such considerable pressure. Its often funny to see managers act like little babies at times, fuss and fume over each other and what not. Cant remember Roeder ever involving himself in such a situation, acts like a true mature grown up.

Im, like most other fans I suppose, far from convinced about his managing capabilities; and Im not saying he should be our manager just because he's a gentleman, but its good to have a such a respectable man at the helm. Would abosutely love for him to go and prove himself a great manager here, even though Im far from sure he will.

Good guys win fuck all though.

I would rather have a prick that is successful like Mourinho, Ferguson etc than a "nice" guy..

Agreed. My point is if we're going to have a 'lesser' manager its something of a consolation knowing he's one of the most dignified ones out there.

I would rather have a prick that is successful like Mourinho, Ferguson etc than a "nice" guy..

Agreed. My point is if we're going to have a 'lesser' manager its something of a consolation knowing he's one of the most dignified ones out there.

Gemmball are you reading?

He does seem like a decent guy, and regardless of his management ability, full credit for not whining about injuries.

Curbishley said West Ham have been poor due to injuries. Ashton is a big miss, definitely. But hardly anyone else is missing, and he's still willing to leave Mascherano, an Argentina international regular on the bench. At the same time we've been playing centre-backs from the academy at full-back and a player who wouldn't be in the Premiership if we didn't give him another chance, in centre-mid. And he's done really well too.

'We're' meaning NUFC supporters, not Geordies. <_<

Edited by aimaad22

He does seem like a decent guy, and regardless of his management ability, full credit for not whining about injuries.

Curbishley said West Ham have been poor due to injuries. Ashton is a big miss, definitely. But hardly anyone else is missing, and he's still willing to leave Mascherano, an Argentina international regular on the bench. At the same time we've been playing centre-backs from the academy at full-back and a player who wouldn't be in the Premiership if we didn't give him another chance, in centre-mid. And he's done really well too.

To be fair though is anyone at all really surprised we are in this mess? Anyone can look back through the posts during the transfer window and see that there were concerns going into the season with only 6 recognised first team defenders of whom 4 have consistently been on the treatment table and the other two (Ramage and Taylor) being young boys with little experience at this level.

I do not dispute Roeder can be a "nice" guy, however IMO he cannot complain about the lack of players at his disposal as he could have helped prevent something that was so clear to see last August.

To be fair though is anyone at all really surprised we are in this mess? Anyone can look back through the posts during the transfer window and see that there were concerns going into the season with only 6 recognised first team defenders of whom 4 have consistently been on the treatment table and the other two (Ramage and Taylor) being young boys with little experience at this level.

I do not dispute Roeder can be a "nice" guy, however IMO he cannot complain about the lack of players at his disposal as he could have helped prevent something that was so clear to see last August.

I am still far from convinced over his managerial ability, but the lack of players is clearly partly the chairman's fault. £15 million is decent backing, but the team needed a lot of rebuilding. Instead we ended up getting a teenager on loan from Man Utd and re-signing a mercenary who hasn't played since his arrival, and won't in the future. He outlined the players he wanted, and was constantly stating he wanted certain players, but no deals went through. This could be down to the chairman refusing to back him. I do however, reckon his inablility to attract a lot of players could be partly a reason. And also he paid £5 million for Duff, whereas the money could have been spent elsewhere, such as on the full-backs, but even so, he's failed to notice how crap they are and instead praises them. Nice guy, but should learn unnecessary criticism isn't a good thing.

I was baffled at the fact he didnt sign any defenders, it would have been obvious to a three year old that we needed to strengthen at the back.

But he couldnt have anticipated that we would have so many players injured at a time, no one could have. I mean, six or seven players out would be a major injury disaster, but we've played games this season with around 13 people out which is ridiculous.

And to be fair to him, while he has praised clowns like Bramble, he's also come out and admitted the defence was at fault everytime they mess up. The same happened at Saturday, he clearly stated we conceded poor goals which he was disappointed with.

Edited by aimaad22

NE5 (is he that on here?) reckons we have plenty of defenders <_<

I think he's a N-O exclusive, havent seen him on here.

I was of the opinion that, before the season started, defenders should have been the main priority and only then should we have gone for a striker. But quite a few people thought otherwise, while everyone acknowledged we needed a decent pair of defenders they wanted a striker first. Still dont get that I dont.

I thought strikers were priority and we still need one now but we certainly arent flush with defenders!

We definitely need a striker, but not as much as a decent defender IMO!

I like Roeder he has a good attitude but there have been a few moments during his spell that i have called for his head tbh....

He's pulled it round to be fair. I still get the feeling the MUFC match is going to resemble a cricket score though <_<

I like Roeder he has a good attitude but there have been a few moments during his spell that i have called for his head tbh....

He's pulled it round to be fair. I still get the feeling the MUFC match is going to resemble a cricket score though <_<

Howsthat?

I was of the opinion that, before the season started, defenders should have been the main priority and only then should we have gone for a striker. But quite a few people thought otherwise, while everyone acknowledged we needed a decent pair of defenders they wanted a striker first. Still dont get that I dont.

NE5 = Leazesmag

NE5 = Leazesmag

Ah

Ive often criticized Roeder for not displaying enough guts at times, and his lack of emotion during games.

He certainly got the lads going today, and had them have a right go at the scum. Keep it up Glen. :razz:

Gemmball. Did you think that up all by yourself?

Dignity ? The Queen is supposed to have dignity but I wouldn't want her as our manager either.

I think that these days managers have to have a strong personality to deal with the millionaire spoilt brat footballers they have to deal with.

I can see how Mourinho, Ferguson or Wenger would create respect or even a bit of fear among their players but not Roeder.

Edited by thenorthumbrian