@yourservice

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/...=rss&feed=5

Martins shaken by rumours of Chelsea move

· Newcastle say speculation over player 'agent driven'

· Nigerian striker would fill gap in Blues' front line

Michael Walker and Matt Scott

Tuesday January 9, 2007

The Guardian

Newcastle United are increasingly concerned that an "agent-driven" plan to move the striker Obafemi Martins to Chelsea in the January transfer window may unsettle the Nigerian.

It is said that Chelsea view Martins, who joined Newcastle from Internazionale in August, as a potential pacy partner for Didier Drogba, but within St James' Park there is anger that the story may be a fabrication.

"This is agent-driven, it is not from Obafemi Martins or Chelsea," said a senior figure at Newcastle, who pointed out the close working relationship between the Newcastle chairman, Freddy Shepherd, and Chelsea's chief executive, Peter Kenyon. The club are emphatic that Martins is not for sale and that there has been no contact from Stamford Bridge.

Article continues

Chelsea may well be in the market for a striker, given their over-reliance on Drogba for goals this season and the relative failure of both Andriy Shevchencko and Salomon Kalou, both bought last summer, to make an impact. The Ukrainian in particular has provided scant return for a £30m investment, and the Ivorian striker Kalou was among those recently singled out for criticism by Jose Mourinho after a string of mediocre performances. The club have been linked with a move for the Tottenham forward Jermain Defoe, who also fits the profile of a small, fast foil to Drogba's powerful game.

A move for Martins, 22, has apparently been the subject of discussion on the Chelsea training pitches as players speculate as to who might be added to the squad. Newcastle do not want to give the story credibility by publicly commenting on it but behind the scenes they are sure where the connection has come from and why it has been made.

Martins signed a five-year contract when he arrived from Internazionale for £10.1m in late August and has handled the burden of inheriting Alan Shearer's No9 jersey with increasing confidence over the past five months. He has nine goals in 22 starts and Newcastle's manager, Glenn Roeder, believes his best form will be seen after his first season in English football. Martins is said to be happy on Tyneside but with Michael Owen still recovering from long-term injury Newcastle can ill afford to lose their main striker.

There appears to be more substance to surprise interest from PSV Eindhoven in another expensive Newcastle forward, the underachieving Albert Luque, but it is unlikely the Spaniard would move to the Netherlands given his enormous salary at St James' Park, where he was signed for £9m from Deportivo La Coruña by Graeme Souness 18 months ago.

Newcastle are now willing to listen to offers for Luque but it seems PSV would only take the 28-year-old on loan. Under Roeder Newcastle resisted that route with Jean-Alain Boumsong, eventually selling him to Juventus for £3.5m, and it is almost certain they will do the same with Luque. Officials from PSV are expected on Tyneside this week for preliminary discussions but their journey will prove fruitless if the maximum they are prepared to offer is a loan deal in which they require Newcastle to continue paying a significant proportion of Luque's weekly wage.

Hertha Berlin's £5.5m-rated centre-back Josip Simunic last night linked himself with a move to Chelsea. "I am aware of Chelsea's interest in me, although I can't say much more," said the 28-year-old Croatian, who was shown three yellow cards by Graham Poll during Croatia's World Cup match against Australia - the country of his birth - last year. "It has been a dream of mine since childhood to play in England and I hope to fulfil it sooner or later. But Hertha will have the final word on the matter. I will only be able to move to England if they accept Chelsea's offer."

A lad I was talking to yesterday reckoned we should sell Parker to West Ham in agreement for them dropping out of the race for SWP and selling us Reo-Coker. Strange, but interesting.

I'd swap Parker for Reo-Coker, if we got any money out of the deal it would be a bonus.