Goals this season

The Fish

Is it just me or has the volume of boot rockets seem to have massively increased this season?

is it the ball? is it a change in English footballing style? are we being forced to take shots outside the box because of the more defensive tactics employed by the mid-to-bottom teams in the prem?

Last Months Goal of the Month competition was equivalent to most years Goal of the Season!

It might just be me, but I have noticed the standard of entertainment has risen this year.

There's definitely been a glut of spectacular goals, often screamers from way out.

But the standard of the prem and the standard of entertainment has been getting worse and worse as more teams copy the defensive, pack midfield, foul and spoil method favoured by Bolton, Everton et al.

I said that of last season, but this.. I think that teams in the middle have opened up against eachother while playing that shite over-stock the midfield tactic against the bigger sides.

it blows that we're now in themiddle, but at least we can get a little entertainment out fo the games?

quotesglad.jpg

I said that of last season, but this.. I think that teams in the middle have opened up against eachother while playing that shite over-stock the midfield tactic against the bigger sides.

it blows that we're now in themiddle, but at least we can get a little entertainment out fo the games?

quotesglad.jpg

Hard to say i suppose as i don't actually watch that much football not featuring NUFC at all. And some of our earleir home games this season were amongst the worst i've seen in a long while with the balem shared between us and our opponents!

I'm (un)lucky enough to share a house with A villa fan, a chelsea fan, and an AFC wimbledon fan. Any night with football on I can pretty much persuade on of them to come watch the game with me. I've sen a fair bit of football this season and in my opinion the games are more exciting this year.

Speaking of last month's Goal of the month competition, how the fuck did Scholes' effort against Villa better that of Matty Taylor against Everton?

Quality goal, yes, but if it had been someone like Henry cracking that goal instead of Taylor, Ican't help but think he'd have won it.

Speaking of last month's Goal of the month competition, how the fuck did Scholes' effort against Villa better that of Matty Taylor against Everton?

Quality goal, yes, but if it had been someone like Henry cracking that goal instead of Taylor, Ican't help but think he'd have won it.

Tbh, if Butt's goal today from a Martins pass had been an Henry goal from a Fabregas pass, it would have won goal of the month.

Is it just me or has the volume of boot rockets seem to have massively increased this season?

is it the ball? is it a change in English footballing style? are we being forced to take shots outside the box because of the more defensive tactics employed by the mid-to-bottom teams in the prem?

Last Months Goal of the Month competition was equivalent to most years Goal of the Season!

It might just be me, but I have noticed the standard of entertainment has risen this year.

I think it has something to do with tactics as well as the ball, and it works the other way to your point. Players from these negative sides are more inclined to have a dig from long-range as well because they're not good enough to get beyond quality sides.

there has been a glut of rakers recently,personally i prefer the multi-pass tidy finish style thats not so spectacular....then again if buttsnahd of came of his butt and the post it would have been goal of the season for me.

:unsure: ?

The World Cup was the same, and I thought that was indicative of how shit the standard of football was. It's a while back but all of the nominations seemed to be people punting it from miles out, there were no goals where someone took it past 3 men or something. Any idiot can catch a football sweetly if they're lucky enough.

Argentina's 25 pass goal was impressive but it was against an embarrassingly poor Serbia team.

The standard of football in the premiership is getting worse. Teams are desperate not to miss out on the big money so they are less inclined to take risks and play attacking football. I'd never thought I'd say this but thank god for Man Utd and Arsenal.

Tbh, if Butt's goal today from a Martins pass had been an Henry goal from a Fabregas pass, it would have won goal of the month.

Exactly. Can you imagine if Scholes had scored Taylor's goal? It would have undoubtedly been awarded goal of the season, instead it doesn't even win goal of the month!

Edited by Nate

Guest stevieintoon

Exactly. Can you imagine if Scholes had scored Taylor's goal? It would have undoubtedly been awarded goal of the season, instead it doesn't even win goal of the month!

Scholes goal was decent, but Matty Taylor's goal was almost a once in a life time event for the boy. I've only ever scored a volley from over 40 yards once in my life, and I bet he doesn't do it again neither. It's won goal of the season now, and I don't care if Ramage does a Maradona in the Azteca getting the ball off Given skinning 8 players before rounding Peter Cech, it still wouldn't be as good as Taylor's.

What do you reckon the best three goals have been this season?

I think:

1 Taylor v Everton

2 van Persie v Charlton

3 Essien v Arsenal

Edited by stevieintoon

Guest stevieintoon

3 Essien v Arsenal

Martins vs Tottenham was better imo

It's hard to say which was better, both crucial goals as well, but I'd have appeared biased if I had've put Oba's goal in there.

What I will say about Taylor's goal is that it was a complete freak of a goal, and that I doubt he could reproduce it, i.e. there was a lot of luck involved. Whereas Martins' goal for example was perfect technique (as pointed out on Motd2 - the punditry for which was a refreshing change from Lee 'Trigonometry' Dixon). And if Roeder is to be believed, which isn't very wise given his track record, Martins has scored goals before like that in training.

Still, Ryan Giggs has never scored a goal like that one against Arsenal in the FA cup and it's still rightly regarded as one of the best goals ever scored. Unless something incredible happens you won't see a better goal than Taylor's this year.