Cooking

Gemmill

I'm working the chilli festival in Brighton, so now's the time to hoy your chilli recipes up. Except CT.

Mine's in my head like but I like to hoy in fresh chillies, dried chilli flakes (not powder), hot smoked paprika and a chipotle. I also put the coriander stalks in and cook them off before adding the leaves right near the end. For dried herbs/spices I used oregano, ground coriander and cumin. I also put cocoa powder in.

Never put cocoa in but am going to try a chocolate and beer one soon. Alleged shizzle.

Have you ever roasted cumin? Apparently makes a big difference. Would have to be done wearing frilly knickers though.

I'm working the chilli festival in Brighton, so now's the time to hoy your chilli recipes up. Except CT.

Mine's in my head like but I like to hoy in fresh chillies, dried chilli flakes (not powder), hot smoked paprika and a chipotle. I also put the coriander stalks in and cook them off before adding the leaves right near the end. For dried herbs/spices I used oregano, ground coriander and cumin. I also put cocoa powder in.

Never put cocoa in but am going to try a chocolate and beer one soon. Alleged shizzle.

Have you ever roasted cumin? Apparently makes a big difference. Would have to be done wearing frilly knickers though.

Make my own (piss easy btw, I'm not showing off) cucumber raita where you heat cumin seeds in a pan that's been pre-heated and taken off the job before crushing them in a pestle and mortar. That raita that comes in jars is absolutely minging.

If the Germans can sell pizzas to Italy then fair play to them. Isegrim'll be flogging bags of coal at the next piss up no doubt.

They're made up your way mate.

I mean near you, not up your khyber pass, in case you were going to check.

Edited by trophyshy

Roasted cumin seeds are lush, I'd happily put them in anything spicy whether the recipe calls for them or not. :lol:

what's your roasting strategy then?

Make my own (piss easy btw, I'm not showing off) cucumber raita where you heat cumin seeds in a pan that's been pre-heated and taken off the job before crushing them in a pestle and mortar. That raita that comes in jars is absolutely minging.

Cheers I'll try that. Obsessed with cumin already tbf. Oo-er.

Basically you heat a pan, take it off the heat, then add the seeds and stir them around for 40 seconds ish (or until you can smell the aroma being release). You then set them aside to cool for 5 mins before you crush them. It's definitely more pungent than just the normal powdered stuff.

Have to admit I've never fully understood why people who don't eat meat would want to eat something that's textured like meat.

I've never understood why people ask that tbh. I didn't give it up because I disliked the taste etc. Some people do it for that reason though, obviously.

Aye, I just assume that something meat-like will remind you of meat and hence the reasons you don't eat it, regardless of whether they're to do with taste/flavour, ethics, health or whatever. Bit like a reformed alcoholic drinking alcohol-free beer. But if not then fair play, obviously.

I don't really see the point to vegetarians eating faux meat. There are so many different things you can do with vegetables, pulses, nuts etc that make 'synthetic' meat meaningless. It's a personal thing of course, but in my mind if you don't eat meat then you shouldn't eat food that masquerades as such.

Experimented a little with a veggie spag bowl.

Grated courgettes to use instead of carrots, finely minced green & black olives to replace quorn mince (because quorn is shite) and added healthy splashes of red wine and balsamic vinegar. Bit of soft brown sugar to balance it all out and it was superb.

This is interesting, what's your beef with Quorn, so to speak? Did the green olives not overpower the dish, aren't they a bloody expensive alternative? Might have a crack at this though.

My cafe is going to be veggie and so I could do with harvesting your wisdom, hot tips etc...

I didn't use too many olives for that reason. I also rinsed them well to get rid of the brine. It worked fairly well, was just a little fiddly chopping all the olives into a mince-like form. Deffo worth a go; I cooked it for my girlfriend and she loved it.

As for Quorn, I hate it for the reasons above. Never been convinced by the taste or texture of the stuff either. It's just processed fungus which isn't particularly appetizing at all to me.

And I'd be more than chuffed to throw a few ideas for your cafe your way! Veggie cafes seem to be the in thing right now it seems. ('Harvesting'...I see what you did there :lol:)

Before you do, just be aware that Alex's kitchen smells like a Turkish wrestlers jockstrap.

Roasted cumin seeds are lush, I'd happily put them in anything spicy whether the recipe calls for them or not. :lol:

what's your roasting strategy then?

One in the pink, one in the stink

:lol:

Before you do, just be aware that Alex's kitchen smells like a Turkish wrestlers jockstrap.

It does when you're in it.

• 2 weeks later...
Had a kilo of cherry toms from the market kicking around and only getting riper, so I made this:

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/257680...ted-tomato-soup

Simplest thing in the world really, but my gosh the summer flavour of the tomatoes and the roasted garlic works so well. Loving it.

That looks ultra Meenz.

I'd be tempeted to throw loads of chopped corriander in.

Had a kilo of cherry toms from the market kicking around and only getting riper, so I made this:

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/257680...ted-tomato-soup

Simplest thing in the world really, but my gosh the summer flavour of the tomatoes and the roasted garlic works so well. Loving it.

Nice to see the good old Gosh getting wheeled out of retirement :(

I made a home made tom soup last year with Toms from the garden and I think it was peppers as well and it was much nicer than the tinned stuff. A nice spicy kick to it as well. Im sure its delicious with garlic though.

I put in loads more garlic than the recipe called for, for what it's worth, but then I'm not planning on seeing anyone I don't know over the next few days. :(

Guest alex

Meenz, you tried Delia's slow-roasted fresh tomato, basil and garlic soup? Lush. Works well as a pasta sauce too (if you blitz the toms etc. and omit the stock).

• 1 month later...