So we sack Roeder then...

Howaythetoon

fucking kneejerk TBH, we cant start these fucking topics everytime we lose

How is planning for the next manager knee jerk? I've never changed my stance on Roeder, it has little to do with yesterday.

its fucking boring man, especially this constant hitzfeld jizzfest

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But replace him with who Renton? I know it ain't your job blah blah blah but do you seriously believe that we could get a much better manager than Roeder? If we could have, I think Roeder would still be in charge of the academy. We all know how it is going to go - Roeder, the nice man who wouldn't say boo to anyone, the low maintenance who the board can control and dictate, will be left to clear the mess left by Souness for Shearer. That seems to be the plan anyway, I say plan...

The only thing that will get Roeder the sack is if fans turn on the board or if we are in real danger of going down, or if players start bumping into each other against Man City. That or new owners wanting their own man in. Reading between the lines though it seems Belgravia share this board's parochial views so I'm sure Shearer will figure highly in their plans anyway.

I agree mostly apart from we couldn't get anyone better. The board (imo) didn't look, due to the bit in bold.

But replace him with who Renton? I know it ain't your job blah blah blah but do you seriously believe that we could get a much better manager than Roeder? If we could have, I think Roeder would still be in charge of the academy. We all know how it is going to go - Roeder, the nice man who wouldn't say boo to anyone, who the board can control and dictate, will be left to clear the mess left by Souness for Shearer. That seems to be the plan anyway, I say plan...

The only thing that will get Roeder the sack is if fans turn on the board or if we are in real danger of going down, or if players start bumping into each other against Man City. That or new owners wanting their own man in. Reading between the lines though it seems Belgravia share this board's parochial views so I'm sure Shearer will figure highly in their plans anyway.

Personally I'd take a risk on Shearer with an established number 2, yes. I actually have confidence he will make a good manager, and I am almost certain he will be an improvement over Roeder, who has a career history littered with failure.

I could randomly name other people but what's the point? I don't claim to be an expert and have absolutely no way of knowing if they would come.

But replace him with who Renton? I know it ain't your job blah blah blah but do you seriously believe that we could get a much better manager than Roeder? If we could have, I think Roeder would still be in charge of the academy. We all know how it is going to go - Roeder, the nice man who wouldn't say boo to anyone, the low maintenance who the board can control and dictate, will be left to clear the mess left by Souness for Shearer. That seems to be the plan anyway, I say plan...

I agree mostly apart from we couldn't get anyone better. The board (imo) didn't look, due to the bit in bold.

I'm sure they tried to get O'Neill and he for whatever reason turned us down so in a sense they failed to get a top manager or someone regarded as a top manager, which is eaxactly my point. They can't attract one or no-one wants to work for them. I'm sure their obsession with Shearer has something to do with that of course but I don't think, even if we targeted such managers, anyone in their right mind would take the job. I honestly don't think we can attract anyone infinitely better than Roeder, not just yet anyway.

But replace him with who Renton? I know it ain't your job blah blah blah but do you seriously believe that we could get a much better manager than Roeder? If we could have, I think Roeder would still be in charge of the academy. We all know how it is going to go - Roeder, the nice man who wouldn't say boo to anyone, who the board can control and dictate, will be left to clear the mess left by Souness for Shearer. That seems to be the plan anyway, I say plan...

Personally I'd take a risk on Shearer with an established number 2, yes. I actually have confidence he will make a good manager, and I am almost certain he will be an improvement over Roeder, who has a career history littered with failure.

I could randomly name other people but what's the point? I don't claim to be an expert and have absolutely no way of knowing if they would come.

I think Shearer will make a good manager one day too but if we are to sack Roeder, to make it worth our while both short and long term, I'd want someone infinitely better than him in the hot seat and Shearer would not be that man. I'd hate us to go and swap like for like, i.e. replace Roeder with Curbishley (too late now of course but you know what I mean) because 2 years down the line we'll be having the same conversation.

BTW I would be a lot more confident in Roeder if Shearer was by his side as assistant because he could do the things Roeder seems to struggle with such as recruitment so I'm hoping somewhere down the line, before he takes over fully as manager, he comes back as an assistant, ideally to Roeder. Shearer's a powerful figure around SJP and I don't think the board could dictate to Roeder if Shearer was his assistant and when it comes to recruitment, we all know the super job Shearer did on Owen, Parker and Nobby to help the club sign those players. Imagine sending Shearer to a hot young striking sensation from the lower leagues for example who has the pick of clubs to choose from, you'd stand a much better chance of signing such talent than you would by sending Roeder along, Pearson or heaven forbid, Terry Mac!

This season's now a write off. Replace him in the summer. I don't know who with, but this should be our first priority before we look at players.

Excellent :rolleyes:

Yes well, you'd be happy to finish 17th under Roeder, wouldn't you?

When did I say that? :rolleyes:

I just think that Roeder's doing a good thing for the club.....he's looking at long term answers as opposed to quick fixes.

This season's now a write off. Replace him in the summer. I don't know who with, but this should be our first priority before we look at players.

When did I say that? :mellow:

I just think that Roeder's doing a good thing for the club.....he's looking at long term answers as opposed to quick fixes.

We're out both domestic cups in January and in the bottom half of the league. That's a good job is it? :rolleyes:

...yet you want to sack our current manager :rolleyes:

Roeder has managed to get us into Europe (and win the Intertoto cup)....hardly a failure.

We're out both domestic cups in January and in the bottom half of the league. That's a good job is it? :rolleyes:

Bottom half :rolleyes: That's "half empty" even from you! :mellow:

With the players available it's perfectly acceptable.

How's Martin O'Neill doing?

Roeder has managed to get us into Europe (and win the Intertoto cup)....hardly a failure.

He did that as caretaker though. If he does it again this season, then fair enough, but personally I doubt he will. Anyway, that would have been failure for Robson. Are you making the mistake of comparing Roeder to Souness?

I think that Roeder has done a good job when you look at the injury list for this season, but he is not the man for the job when the stars return. I'd keep him at the club, but he wouldn't be the main man.

I don't think this is knee-jerk at all, I know I've always been saying that Glenn is a nice guy, he's just not the right guy.

oh and we're still in the UEFA cup lads, so y'never know.... :rolleyes:

I think appointing another manager is with a more impressive CV would be possible at a club like Newcastle. I think that the basics (History, fanbase, area) could be enough IF the chairman and the board would be willing to let go a bit... I am still not convinced that Shepherd leaves all player signings and selling up to the managers (refer to Robson's autobiography) and he just seems to be the stubborn type (as history would show).

New board/ownership willing to agree to the conditions a knowledgable manager would have would lead to success.

oh... and money. That would be a big help as well.

Bottom half :rolleyes: That's "half empty" even from you! :rolleyes:

Eh? Do you think we're in the top half like? :mellow:

The shortage of quality players we have available is at least partly Roeder's fault because of his signing policy in the summer.

Roeder actually has performed better than I imagined he would tbh, but he still is not good enough. We will go nowhere and win nowt under him. As for Villa, they are 3 points below us and also out the cups (knocked out the FA cup away to ManU, unlike us who were humped at home to Birmingham). But remember MoN inherited a much worse squad and had bugger all to spend, unlike Roeder. Save your gloating until the end of the season, or better still, see where we are relative to them at the end of next season.

He did that as caretaker though. If he does it again this season, then fair enough, but personally I doubt he will. Anyway, that would have been failure for Robson. Are you making the mistake of comparing Roeder to Souness?

How is it a mistake to compare Roeder to Souness?? :rolleyes:

Bottom half :rolleyes: That's "half empty" even from you! :rolleyes:

Eh? Do you think we're in the top half like? :mellow:

The shortage of quality players we have available is at least partly Roeder's fault because of his signing policy in the summer.

Roeder actually has performed better than I imagined he would tbh, but he still is not good enough. We will go nowhere and win nowt under him. As for Villa, they are 3 points below us and also out the cups (knocked out the FA cup away to ManU, unlike us who were humped at home to Birmingham). But remember MoN inherited a much worse squad and had bugger all to spend, unlike Roeder. Save your gloating until the end of the season, or better still, see where we are relative to them at the end of next season.

We won nowt with Bobby Robson, a world class manager. There no hope for us.

The way I see it:

Club looking to ease themselves out of a bad period (Souness), lacking funds, huge injury list, lots of dead wood, lots of youngsters coming through, European footy the main aim - Roeder more than good enough. He achieved European footy last season from nothing really and has proven himself adept at nurturing youngsters and working really well with what he has in times of hardship.

Club looking to qualify for the Champions League on a regular basis and eventually compete for the league title and dare I say it, European honours - Roeder nowhere near good enough.

Sadly for us our club is nowhere near good enough to do the latter so for us priority has to be example one, and Roeder is the right man for that type of requirement, in my opinion.

The hard bit is how do we go from A to B - UEFA Cup qualifiers to Champions League qualifiers and beyoind, that is the breakoff point for club and Roeder. Anyway I think given a fair chance, Roeder can provide us with regular UEFA Cup football and top 7 finishes - the job I think the club is demanding right now or needing from someone because we are not in a position to aim for the CL and titles, we are way off that with or without Roeder, we were under SBR despite finishing in the top 4 twice in succession.

In conclusion:

So unless we can get a top manager who can shorten that distance between A to B I think we should stick with Roeder who we know will do a good job for the club, who can work well under hardship.

How is it a mistake to compare Roeder to Souness?? :rolleyes:

Do I really have to spell it out for you? What is the point in using the shittest manager in the history of football as your reference point? Why don't you compare him to Wenger instead?

The injury crisis is our problem anyway for signing players with a reputation of being injury prone.

Emre, Carr, Babyaro, Moore, Duff all came at cut price because they were injury prone. And shit.

Roeder may not have signed most of these players but he had the summer to do something about it. So for me having to play academy players is not a valid excuse.