Bernard comeback

East Stander

OLIVIER Bernard is to continue his road to recovery when United Reserves travel to Wigan Athletic on Wednesday.

The French full-back, who re-signed for the Magpies in September, has not featured for Glenn Roeder's first-team after being dogged by a series of injuries, the latest a hip problem which has kept him sidelined since November.

Reserve team coach Lee Clark will hand second-string debuts to Academy players Ryan Donaldson, Alex Francis and Darren Lough.

Donaldson (15) will take his place up-front alongside Andy Carroll after Carl Finnigan, an ever-present for the Reserves this season, signed for Falkirk on Tuesday.

United are currently 5th in the Reserve League North, but have three games in hand on leaders Middlesbrough who are eight points ahead.

The Magpies face a Wigan side who have yet to win a game this season and have just two points to show from eight outings.

Newcastle United; Fraser Forster, Mark Bertram, Alex Francis, Darren Lough, Olivier Bernard, James Troisi, Matty Pattison, Kris Gate, Kazenga LuaLua, Andy Carroll, Ryan Donaldson

Subs; Mark Doninger, Jonny Godsmark, James Marwood, Ross Cowan, Rob Cavener

The game is a 7.30pm kick-off at Robin Park.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That finnegan had a decent strike rate but I never saw him given a go at the full team.

Caught his profile on myspace,giving the ladys the''I'm a footballer,i play for Newcastle reserves''malarky.

knickertwangtastic

it seems every year we produce a striker that does well in the reserves, Chopra, Offiong, Zola, now Finnigan. I can't help but wonder why they seem unable to make the step up to Premiership level?

How timely. Fuck all wrong with Bernard that a bag of pasties from Greggs wouldn't fix tbh. There's a rabbit off with this one, like a number of our injured souls.

Which of our other injuries are suspicious like, o wise one? :D

How timely. Fuck all wrong with Bernard that a bag of pasties from Greggs wouldn't fix tbh. There's a rabbit off with this one, like a number of our injured souls.

Carr's, Babayaro's and Owen is blatantly keeping himself fit for England friendlies in the summer. <_<

I dunno that it can just be injuries with Bernard.

Even injuries and needing to muscle up again.

I think he must have lost some significant part of his game too (whether in Luque sense or some physical/skill sense), it'll be interesting to see if he gets into the first team again anyway.

Carr's, Babayaro's and Owen is blatantly keeping himself fit for England friendlies in the summer. <_<

Owen's been an exceptional case and we've been very unlucky but we should have seen it coming with the other two tbh. Always on and off the treatment table at their previous respective clubs.

Bernard's problem isn't medical tbh.

tell me more

DK has previously alluded to the fact Bernard's favourite film is now 'White Xmas'.

interesting, and not that surprising when you look at his form in the last couple of seasons.

...what's luque's excuse?

tell me more

DK has previously alluded to the fact Bernard's favourite film is now 'White Xmas'.

interesting, and not that surprising when you look at his form in the last couple of seasons.

...what's luque's excuse?

He's a gutless feckless bastard who can't be arsed to make anything of himself here!

Yeah, he's just shite.

He wasn't before though. Had his faults, positioning in the main, but he wasn't shite.

a rangers supporting mate of mine would tell you otherwise.

quite happy to coin it in allegedly for doing 2/3 of nothing.

I meant he wasn't shite in his first spell here. Pretty obvious he's been pretty shit since he left.

I wish I could still access the threads on NO where they were saying "Best left back in the country IMO"

He's never been any better than average. Used to hide his ineptness by flying into tackles and getting wiped out by a tackle every single game.

Benefitter of the "GERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIINNNNNNNNNN!!!1111oneeleven" crowd tbh