So You Think You Can Nurse?

catmag

get the current apparently best ever crop of students according to current results, the exam papers from 20 years ago

It's no coincidence that most University courses have changed to mandatory 4 years over the last decade or so

The addage 'those who can't, teach' has played out in front of my very eyes many times

Yawntastic and overused argument. I don't think anything has changed whatsoever. We're dealing with basic intelligence and self-motivation. You can't teach those things.

I find it difficult to believe results getting better every year represents standards getting better every year though. The law of averages suggests to me that you would get one exceptional year every now and then followed by a slight lowering of standards the following year. Also, more people doing exams wouldn't really suggest to me that more people would pass/get better marks. That's not a dig at teachers though.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Patrokles

get the current apparently best ever crop of students according to current results, the exam papers from 20 years ago

It's no coincidence that most University courses have changed to mandatory 4 years over the last decade or so

The addage 'those who can't, teach' has played out in front of my very eyes many times

Yawntastic and overused argument. I don't think anything has changed whatsoever. We're dealing with basic intelligence and self-motivation. You can't teach those things.

I find it difficult to believe results getting better every year represents standards getting better every year though. The law of averages suggests to me that you would get one exceptional year every now and then followed by a slight lowering of standards the following year. Also, more people doing exams wouldn't really suggest to me that more people would pass/get better marks. That's not a dig at teachers though.

Well, it's a fair point. But I'm ignoring measurement by exams and whatnot, and just saying that very little changes in terms of human nature/abilities over a period of time. You'll still get those who are more intelligent, you'll get people who are more motivated, you'll have those who are better at working the system, etc.

Guest Patrokles

I suppose a major difference is just the accessibility of higher education now. Rather than just having the rich or very intelligent attend university, and the less intelligent/hard-working/rich just cast aside to do menial chores, now everyone has a chance to go, which will obviously skew things slightly. But, as I said, I don't think that's made any difference to the essential divides. There will still always be better universities, etc.

It strikes me that the whole focus of education these days is more about passing exams than a genuine grounding in the subject. The League tables seem to have failed horribly, they only appear to reward schools which are succesful at examinations. I don't truly believe that GCSE and A Level tests accurately guage a students ability in the subject, more that they guage the competence of a student in an examination situation.

I went through state school and can say that I'm going to get my kids the best education I can afford because the basic schooling isn't, in my opinion, good enough.

It strikes me that the whole focus of education these days is more about passing exams than a genuine grounding in the subject. The League tables seem to have failed horribly, they only appear to reward schools which are succesful at examinations. I don't truly believe that GCSE and A Level tests accurately guage a students ability in the subject, more that they guage the competence of a student in an examination situation.

I went through state school and can say that I'm going to get my kids the best education I can afford because the basic schooling isn't, in my opinion, good enough.

I think that's pretty spot on, and even though stuff is more coursework-based than it used to be, it still just about passing. Re: your second chapter, I really don't know what I'm going to do if / when me and wor lass have kids for their schooling.

Guest Patrokles

I think that's pretty spot on, and even though stuff is more coursework-based than it used to be, it still just about passing. Re: your second chapter, I really don't know what I'm going to do if / when me and wor lass have kids for their schooling.

Just send them to a good school. :lol:

Hadn't thought of that, cheers :lol: I'm considering just owning dogs instead anyway. Less hassle.

Guest Patrokles

Hadn't thought of that, cheers :lol: I'm considering just owning dogs instead anyway. Less hassle.

But where are you going to take them for obedience training? Most of the time nowadays, it's just about teaching the dogs to sit down, rather than teaching them why they should be sitting.

Edited by Patrokles

But where are you going to take them for obedience training? Most of the time nowadays, it's just about teaching the dogs to sit down, rather than teaching them why they should be sitting.

I'll teach them myself. Or go on Dog Borstal.

You need to send the dog not gan yerself.

You need to send the dog not gan yerself.

Don't be so sure.

Exams are blatantly getting easier. You only need to look at someone like Ally - fucking retarded by anyone's definition of the word, but pulls off a load of As at GCSE and A-Level.

:lol: Just noticed this you cheeky twat!

Might even sneak a 1st class degree aswell this year, just to add to my sterling CV. :lol:

Dunno about anyone else, but my pre-employment section of my CV consists of one line which states my degree, the number of a levels I got and the number GCSEs...

They mean absolutely nish now in my career. All they were used for was getting me my first job. The vital stuff have been learned since then :lol:

I don't even bother putting what GCSE's I got , just 9 at B and above.

noone really cares about them after A-Levels, and noone cares about A-Levels after Degree.. after your degree, like Craig says it's all about the experience.

Dunno about anyone else, but my pre-employment section of my CV consists of one line which states my degree, the number of a levels I got and the number GCSEs...

They mean absolutely nish now in my career. All they were used for was getting me my first job. The vital stuff have been learned since then :lol:

Thats why its quite hard for us to write good CVs at this stage because we've just not had the life experience older people have had. I had an Assesment Centre thing the other week for a grad job and strangely I was the only person there still at Uni (spotted the talent tbh), everyone else was about 25 and had so much more to say about themselves simply because they'd had more time to build up experience etc.

Thats why its quite hard for us to write good CVs at this stage because we've just not had the life experience older people have had. I had an Assesment Centre thing the other week for a grad job and strangely I was the only person there still at Uni (spotted the talent tbh), everyone else was about 25 and had so much more to say about themselves simply because they'd had more time to build up experience etc.

You look better as everyone knows the other s have been fucking about trying not to work. Use that to your advantage 'I just cant wait to start...' etc.

You look better as everyone knows the other s have been fucking about trying not to work. Use that to your advantage 'I just cant wait to start...' etc.

Aye true. In the kind of 'ice breaker' session, one lad was asked what he'd done in his gap year. Infront of all the assessors he bluntly said that he'd done nout and had been on the dole! Impressive.