Music that you just don't get

Jimbo

Robbie bloody Williams. His mass appeal is something i just can't understand. He only has two types of songs (both shite). Type 1, the smug "i'm great, look at me, love me!!!" sort, and type 2, the "poor me, my life is hard, feel sorry for me" ditties.

They all sound the same, and they are all complete and utter shite. As is the man himself :stars:

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robbie bloody Williams.  His mass appeal is something i just can't understand.  He only has two types of songs (both shite).  Type 1, the smug "i'm great, look at me, love me!!!" sort, and type 2, the "poor me, my life is hard, feel sorry for me" ditties.

They all sound the same, and they are all complete and utter shite.  As is the man himself  :stars:

22811[/snapback]

I concur.

finally someone else who hates the streets. Middles class lad trying to be all urban, middle class journalists toss off over him and students buy it in droves (I blame NME meself), 1 year later the mainstream buy into it because he's the hottest new thing. He cant rap papa because he isnt a rapper he's a street poet or something.. pfffff

Im into allsorts and Ive got plenty of what you'd describe as dance music but Ive never ever understood why anyone would listen to that happ hardcore, gabba banging crap. Its just awful

22809[/snapback]

To clear this one up, I think it's charvas on tablets :stars:

The Streets - bloody awful

22727[/snapback]

Now that is "music" that every single person should be united in saying its absolute shite.

Lyrics a child could write, can't rap at all, can't sing, uses an annoying cockney accent despite not being a cockney and yet has some critics wanking over him as if he's a combination of eminem and shakespeare!!!

22758[/snapback]

I think the fact he comes from Brum, yet comes over all 'apples and pears' is the most annoying thing about him. By no means the only annoying thing, obviously :stars:

22763[/snapback]

Yeah, if somebody happens to have an annoying cockney accent by birth thats not their fault, to choose to put one on because you think it makes you sound hard, trendy and will sell more records is embarassing.

22799[/snapback]

As I said in the first place, I'll listen to just about anything and don't mind The Streets at all. I didn't really like the first album but the second one is a quality British album. A lot of critics creamed themselves over the concept (which is brilliantly realised) and ignored the fact there are a few weak tracks. The fact that he's a mockney doesn't bother me at all. I tend to think he's playing a character like Ziggy Stardust or Johnny Vegas. I don't believe that Ice T goes about killing cops or that Eminem killed his wife. It's all music to fit an image. Hell, what right have The rolling stones got to play the blues?

I would say for example the Stones were infuenced by the blues but didn't think they were Robert Johnson, whereas The Streets is pretending to be somebody he's not with the cockney thing. Fair enough if you like him though mate, some of his lyrics are quite clever and stuff. I just think he's a fraud.

I really do not like The Streets, I've had many a rant about him. Only one track I liked and that was "Irony of it All". To be honest I think it's over hyped and now we are going to have to put up with his mates getting record deals, Kano and The Mitchell Brothers. While as far as I know Leo the Lion (Skinner's backing singer in The Streets) is still doing backing when he is the best thing about them.

SOAD, really don't get them. Warbling shouty bollocks that some chin strokers somewhere have decided is a powerful statement.

R'N'B (generally) is a shambles. Every damn thing is overproduced thanks to the likes of The Neptunes (or NERD, whichever one they are going by). Superstar producers are a load of bollocks that will put a genre is a rut. Even hip hop is a bit crap. I listened to College Dropout and I was so disappointed. Too much of that speeded up vocals shit. Another case of the superstar producer doing whateevr he wants and sycophants calling it the best thing ever.

James Bland, sorry I mean Blunt. Middle of the road, Radio 2 fodder.

I would say for example the Stones were infuenced by the blues but didn't think they were Robert Johnson, whereas The Streets is pretending to be somebody he's not with the cockney thing. Fair enough if you like him though mate, some of his lyrics are quite clever and stuff. I just think he's a fraud.

22833[/snapback]

I have to be honest whilst him being a fraud and wannabe cockney really annoys me, its his mind numbing drone/piss poor rapping, tone deaf singing and shite music that really gets on my tits!

I've actually noticed theres something about the cockney accent that really ruins rap and hip hop even if the person can actually rap. May sound like a generalisation but i prefer rappers with an american accent (or no noticable accent as such).

Empty Cans is my favourite Streets track. It might be a bit gimicky rewinding the track and starting again halfway through but it's really effective and transforms what you thought was a depressing album about British youth into an uplifting and moral one.

I agree with you on James Blunt. The lines "I saw your face, in a crowded place" just grate on me as being the worst I've ever heard from a 'professional'. Emabarrasingly banal.

“Blunt language cannot hide a banal conception” (James Wolcott).

Aye, The Streets is piss poor, as is Pete Doherty since he left the Libertines. Two artists living off hype basically. Sheep bands as I like to call them. Oasis are the prime example of a Sheep band. Now, I liked Oasis. I liked the music but have to admit to hating the attitude. However, they went from being biggish to massive because of the hype and people liking their attitude, you just got that feeling that a lot of people bought their albums without actually really liking the music. The cool culture, liking a band or artist cos it's 'in'. Just a theory anyway.

Personally, I don't get most modern hip hop, they look and sound like clones of each other, and I'm going to be controversial here...I've never got Pink Floyd. HOWEVER, they just seem to have passed me by rather than me disliking them. My Mrs is into them so I appreciate they're not a bad band, it just does nowt for me.

A couple of my mates are well into Pink Floyd. 'Dark Side...' is canny good but I don't get there other stuff at all. I tried to get into them but they just aren't my cup of tea at all.

Aye, The Streets is piss poor, as is Pete Doherty since he left the Libertines. Two artists living off hype basically. Sheep bands as I like to call them. Oasis are the prime example of a Sheep band. Now, I liked Oasis. I liked the music but have to admit to hating the attitude. However, they went from being biggish to massive because of the hype and people liking their attitude, you just got that feeling that a lot of people bought their albums without actually really liking the music. The cool culture, liking a band or artist cos it's 'in'. Just a theory anyway.

Totally agree, there are many artists and groups who have had sales boosted a bit or alot by being bought for the wrong reason. Whether its becasue people think its cool to like them or hard/rebellious to like them, or to annoy their parents etc. all stupid reasons for buying music.

Sheep is the right word for it, i've known people who based half the records they bought on exactly what their mate(s) had just bought, or who just bought whatever album happened to be doing well at the time.

And then like you say people buying music because of the attitude of the group, usually that attitude being "I act like a tosser".

Sheep is the right word for it, i've known people who based half the records they bought on exactly what their mate(s) had just bought, or who just bought whatever album happened to be doing well at the time.

22898[/snapback]

I'm a sheep for listening to a mates recommendation or using Metacritic.com? If an album is universally liked, chances are, I'll like it too. Not always the case but if I didn't trust other peoples opinions I'd never buy any new music and would still be listening exclusively to Led Zepellin.

I don't like The Killers, Maroon 5, Razorlight, 2pac, The Bravery, Oasis or the Who, but I accept that people with good musical taste like them and it's just my personal taste that precludes me from buying their albums. On the other hand, the only people I've met that like Babyshambles or James Blunt were arseholes.

Coldplay -Say what you want, but I think it's chuff.

The Streets- If I could get paid for writing that monkey spooge, I would be laughing all the way to the bank.

Weak Rn'B- Nelly, Justin Timberfool, that other one that looks like Nelly, R Kelly, Chianti or whatever your name is. I hate you all.

Anything with Pete f'in Doherty involved.

Robbie Williams - The Missus likes his stuff, but I can't get me head around it.

Kaisers/Snow Patrol/Keane - Fair to middling for the most part, but constant airplay gets my goat.

Dance/ Happy hardcore- rather not have it thumping through the earphones of some tone-deaf charv on a bus, thank you very much.

Novelty songs can also piss off, too.

Happy Face, I like your sig.

22935[/snapback]

:stars:

The first comment I found from the hundreds of "If we sign Owen I'll..." posts. Nothing against Mr Gemmill. But I do think someone like Taylor27 should set him a test.

It's also one of the few that can be upheld unless Fenwicks open their Window displays up to the public for arse baring?

Hype can be a terrible thing. Take Franz Ferdinand, their album was good but it was not some kind of momentous event in music, the way that some people went on about it. I've not listened to it in months and have no desire to, as thanks to media overkill I'd had it up to the gills with them.

Kaiser Chiefs and the Bravery are both OK and again to not warrant the coverage. There seems to be a resitance to the fact that bands (in fact most bands) exist somewhere between awful and revolutionary.

22891[/snapback]

On the flip side though you get people who hate bands because of their attitude, which I think is equally stupid. Whatever you think of Doherty you can't deny that Up the Bracket is brilliant. Unless you're deaf. Same goes with Oasis - I fully acknowledge that Liam Gallagher is a knobhead (although he's calmed down a bit recently), but I don't care, as I enjoy the music his band makes.

Babyshambles, however, are shite.

On the flip side though you get people who hate bands because of their attitude, which I think is equally stupid. Whatever you think of Doherty you can't deny that Up the Bracket is brilliant. Unless you're deaf. Same goes with Oasis - I fully acknowledge that Liam Gallagher is a knobhead (although he's calmed down a bit recently), but I don't care, as I enjoy the music his band makes.

Babyshambles, however, are shite.

23029[/snapback]

Totally agree with you. I liked the Libertines despite Doherty and Oasis depsite Gallagher. Babyshambles however are indeed shite, it just sounds like a junkies rant. I love Morrisseys stuff, but sometimes he acts like a twat, watching him act the tit at Glastonbury was especially painful.

quite like the streets, not the type of album you can listen to a hundred times but brings a smile to the face as most of us can relate to what hes talking about. dry your eyes mate is an awesome song, who hasnt felt like that at one time or another. as much as celine dion or whitney houston might try to sing about love and the feelings associated with it, this song hits the nail right on the head

Nirvana

Pearl Jam do it TEN times better

21702[/snapback]

Chops what are you talking about????

Pearl Jam, the original Pop Stars grunge band!

I remember at the time this article on how they were going to be so great because some A&R guy had assembled them from all these musicans that they auditioned and thinking nooooooooooooooooooooooo.

And now for music I can't understand...

Any sort of Dance - How can people 'listen' to this. I mean I can understand dancing to it when you're in a club but listen to it?

21828[/snapback]

Goes for me too. If people are on a night out in a club and either pissed or off their heads on drugs i'm sure there is some appeal/purpose to dance music. But i cannot ever understand how anybody could listen at home to that stuff when stone cold sober!

And i'm well aware that "dance" is a term that covers a whole range of sub genres which are often nothing like each other, but i find them all shite, just to varying degrees of how offensively bad they are.

Whats worse is how little talent some of it requires, press a few buttons, repeat stuff a load of others have doen in that genre begore and write lyrics a 5 year old could manage. And for the ones often in the charts theres always the option of taking an old/older song and ruining it by turning it into a shitty dance track.

21848[/snapback]

If you're chucking the likes of The Chemical Brothers and Daft Punk into that press a few buttons and 5 year olds lyrics you're totally ignorant tbh.

21891[/snapback]

And this coming from someone that thinks Sigur Ros is "Pretentious bollocks."

Jazz too.  Bunch of arseholes playing random notes for half an hour at a time I thought.  But Benny Goodman and  Jimmy Smith are great.  Still can't see why people like Miles Davis though.

21901[/snapback]

WTF?

If you've only heard his later "electro" recordings fair enough but get yourself a copy of A Kind of Blue and while you're at it buy Juju by Wayne Shorter, Empyrean Isles by Herbie Hancock and Strings by Charlie Parker and then you may get it.

Pretty much all those indie bands, or "garage rock" are dull, overrated, unoriginal crap. There's so much more interesting music - why settle for mediocrity?

22179[/snapback]

Ok it is all about personal opinion but this is the most pro Bob Seger load of rubbish I've had to read here today!

Garage rock dates back to the 60s and includes bands like the Turtles, 13th floor elevators, The electric prunes! Are they the bands you are talking about?

No didn't think so!

If you enjoy your Gloria Estefan or Mariah Carey collection great but as for your question "why settle for mediocrity?

Well you listen to Metallica and we read your posts and we all suppor the toon! :stars:

Says it all really.

22226[/snapback]

I meant the modern stuff, hence the inverted commas, or speech marks, whatever. The Libertines, The Strokes etc that use the same clangy chords and vocals and just sound boring to me. And I find Metallica a good band. Older music much better mind, which there is quite a lot to, more than enough to convince me they weren't mediocre anyway - a lot of variation and different styles with some good guitar work. That's what I find anyway, but I'm familiar with people thinking otherwise.

22898[/snapback]

I'm a sheep for listening to a mates recommendation or using Metacritic.com? If an album is universally liked, chances are, I'll like it too. Not always the case but if I didn't trust other peoples opinions I'd never buy any new music and would still be listening exclusively to Led Zepellin.

I don't like The Killers, Maroon 5, Razorlight, 2pac, The Bravery, Oasis or the Who, but I accept that people with good musical taste like them and it's just my personal taste that precludes me from buying their albums. On the other hand, the only people I've met that like Babyshambles or James Blunt were arseholes.

22929[/snapback]

Yes, i put that a bit harshly to be fair! What i meant was this person had no opinion or knoweldge of music other than to copy whatever his mate liked. As you say obviously from time to time if a mate reccomends something and you trust their judgment you will hear some good stuff. But i assume like me if its shite you'll tell your mates it is and not like it because they do. Thats the sort of person i'm knocking, those with no originality or balls to say they like things others don't and hate things others do like if thats how they feel.

What a great thread this is, my comments about Nirvana (Great British Band from the 60's) and Pearl Jam was a wind up although I love Pearl Jam especially Vedders's vocals. I am constantly listening to music I have never heard before in the past I’d snap anything going cheap in a sale now I download loads of stuff. All genres have their good artists and bad. Stick it on, if you enjoy it then that’s all that matters. Musical snobbery is pathetic, someone said that some artists were bad singers well Tom Waits, Frank Zappa and many more would get paid off from the bottom club but are recognised as class acts. Listen and enjoy whatever it is you `dont get`

PS we all did not all desert Bob Dylan and he cant sing either.

:stars::suicide::icon_lol: