Summer Festivals

Scottish Mag

Not quite true but I can see why you'd say it as it has been the formula for their most successful releases.

I'm currently watching their set and despite thinking that their music is quite decent I'm beginning to think they are indeed cunts. The keyboard player goes on like Jamie Cullum's more excitable younger brother and the fella at the end playing the double bass constantly thinks he's doing a Slash solo.

First album was all right, some good stirring tunes in there, but they literally have no plan B. Add to that the second album was a typical case of believing their own hype and (I'm assuming) the record label sticking their oar in.

Genuinely heard radio types referring to them as "biggest band in the world" They're not even the biggest band in that part of London imo.

I did apply for tickets, mainly for the Rolling Stone but didn't get them. I've enjoyed watching the Glastonbury highlights and although some of the acts have left me cold (Primal Scream were a disappointment for me) I see the usual suspects filling my timeline trying far too hard to have a pop at something that is vaguely mainstream.

People who slate it for being a "posh festival" are the same people who'd slate V for being pikey, Leeds & Reading being populist etc. It's the done thing to slate everything.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't quite understand why it has become fashionable to hate M&S. Is it because their posh? Or just because they're popular?

No, it's because they're shit

First album was all right, some good stirring tunes in there, but they literally have no plan B. Add to that the second album was a typical case of believing their own hype and (I'm assuming) the record label sticking their oar in.

Genuinely heard radio types referring to them as "biggest band in the world" They're not even the biggest band in that part of London imo.

Are one direction from that part of London like?

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/the-official-top-40-biggest-selling-albums-of-2012-revealed-1785/

No, it's because they're shit

There are literally dozens of shit bands on at Glastonbury that haven't had the bile they have....Rita Ora man?

The personal offense taken by some at fucking Mumford and Sons is daft. Exactly the same as the coldplay thing. They are a clean cut, unit shifting machine of quiet/loud, tempo quickening corporate stadium Rock. They have literally nothing to rile anyone up. Apart from being on top of the pile at the moment, rather than among the support acts below them....therefore an easier target.

From UK album sales last year they are the biggest act on at Glastonbury. As the biggest festival in the UK it's perfectly legitimate that they headline.

All power to them I say. They are a tight group. They have gigged constantly since starting up. They've made some cracking singles. They've played with Bob Dylan. They have my respect.

...and on the Glastonbury hate.....I don't like that either.

I've never been personally, and I thought Wiley's twitter rant about it over the weekend was funny....but it's hundreds of thousands of people going to see bands. Why would that possibly be a bad thing?

I know people that don't go to a gig in Newcastle (where they live) all year long...but spend the year excitedly telling me I must go to Glastonbury, they go every time and it's "amazing"....then they ask who I recommend on the smaller stages who have played much more intimate gigs at The Cluny a few months back :D

I think it's this sort of person that gets people wound up....but I'm just happy they are going to see any music and want to discover some other bands that don't yet have a place on the Pyramid Stage. I'm also delighted that these people subsidise an event so big that the BBC screen the entire 3 days. So I can go to the website and cherry pick entire sets to watch from Portishead, Django Django, Public Enemy, Chic, Tame Impala, BADBADNOTGOOD, The Strypes, James Blake, Devendra Banhart, Fuck Buttons, Cat Power, Steve Mason, Rufus Wainwright or Villagers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ej58q9/performances/lg49mb

I just wish they would do it every year.

There are literally dozens of shit bands on at Glastonbury that haven't had the bile they have....Rita Ora man?

The personal offense taken by some at fucking Mumford and Sons is daft. Exactly the same as the coldplay thing. They are a clean cut, unit shifting machine of quiet/loud, tempo quickening corporate stadium Rock. They have literally nothing to rile anyone up. Apart from being on top of the pile at the moment, rather than among the support acts below them....therefore an easier target.

From UK album sales last year they are the biggest act on at Glastonbury. As the biggest festival in the UK it's perfectly legitimate that they headline.

All power to them I say. They are a tight group. They have gigged constantly since starting up. They've made some cracking singles. They've played with Bob Dylan. They have my respect.

I have no idea of why they're so popular. Boring, bland, middle of the road. Just dull.

Grammys, Brits and closing Glastonbury. I don't get it.

As bland as Coldplay are, at least they have the odd decent tune. If you looked up "meh" in the dictionary you'd see a picture of M&S.

I have no idea of why they're so popular. Boring, bland, middle of the road. Just dull.

As bland as Coldplay are, at least they have the odd decent tune. If you looked up "meh" in the dictionary you'd see a picture of M&S.

I think Mumford's tipping point was the World Cup in 2010. They were all over the BBC then and I think Lion Man was the defining song used after we exited to Germany. It's a perfectly crafted song too.

They're a bit different though. They play the double bass, banjo, mandolin and look different to other bands. As Fish pointed out, they use a similar formula in most of their better known songs but they were the first band in a long time to bring folk-rock to the masses and the majority of people clearly don't think their music is as shit as you do.

And who are we to argue with the people? As already discussed on here, Miranda has been incredibly successful despite no one on here finding her funny. See the same for Mrs. Brown's Boys. The people likes what they likes.

I don't go in for the argument that popular = good at all.

Sex on Fire is not in any way comparable to the early dirty southern blues rock template Kings of Leon were built on, it's much more of a pop song. For those of us that loved the first album it's a disappointing direction they have taken. For people that like pop music it is a better song than Molly's Chambers though...and far more people like pop rock than dirty southern blues rock. The White Stripes took that about as far as it could go without getting TOO mainstream and achieved double platinum sales...Kings of Leon ran to the middle ground and went 9 times platinum as a result.

Mumford were never particularly far from the mainstream to start with, so it's not like they could particularly disappoint in embracing it, but their mainstream schtick was good in the first place. So what if they are Mungo Jerry for our generation, In the Summertime is still a class tune.

They're a bit different though. They play the double bass, banjo, mandolin and look different to other bands. As Fish pointed out, they use a similar formula in most of their better known songs but they were the first band in a long time to bring folk-rock to the masses and the majority of people clearly don't think their music is as shit as you do.

the majority of people are morons

I don't go in for the argument that popular = good at all.

Of course not. 'Good' is very much subjective. If something is popular then it's only a measure of how many people think it's good.

Festivals are fucking great and British festivals have that mad eccentricity that sets us apart from the snobby posers on the continent. Been to few in Spain and France (and loads in the UK) and although they're all good fun, the British festivals are friendliest and the best. I'm all for the corporatisation of the large festival too, nothing more subversive than having mind-bending, drug-fuelled lunacy sponsored by O2. What you see at the front of the pyramid stage is one part of Glastonbury, the reality is that about 60% of the people there (ish) are off their tits for the whole weekend. I've spent weekends slumming it, no wash, no wipes, kegs discarded on the sunday and a nasty rash by tuesday. I've also done VIP Yurt's with privates showers and champagne reception. Preferred the latter funnily enough.

As for the music at Glastonbury, its a broad church. 40% of people there (ish) are there to see bands and not take drugs. As HF has pointed out, if they were that into their music, they would go and see these bands more locally at better venues. So these people are neither there for the music or the real festival. As Glastonbury has a lot of these people, who all congregate in front of the main stages, it looks like its full of cunts.

In all seriousness, is there anything more fun in life than bouncing to soundsystem in the English countryside with loads of people off their heads?

Festivals are fucking great and British festivals have that mad eccentricity that sets us apart from the snobby posers on the continent. Been to few in Spain and France (and loads in the UK) and although they're all good fun, the British festivals are friendliest and the best. I'm all for the corporatisation of the large festival too, nothing more subversive than having mind-bending, drug-fuelled lunacy sponsored by O2. What you see at the front of the pyramid stage is one part of Glastonbury, the reality is that about 60% of the people there (ish) are off their tits for the whole weekend. I've spent weekends slumming it, no wash, no wipes, kegs discarded on the sunday and a nasty rash by tuesday. I've also done VIP Yurt's with privates showers and champagne reception. Preferred the latter funnily enough.

As for the music at Glastonbury, its a broad church. 40% of people there (ish) are there to see bands and not take drugs. As HF has pointed out, if they were that into their music, they would go and see these bands more locally at better venues. So these people are neither there for the music or the real festival. As Glastonbury has a lot of these people, who all congregate in front of the main stages, it looks like its full of cunts.

In all seriousness, is there anything more fun in life than bouncing to soundsystem in the English countryside with loads of people off their heads?

I hate people who call Gers Yurts Edited by Kevin Carr's Gloves

5.5k for a yurt for two people. My lass was checking yesterday. I'll give it a miss then. :o

Kenny Rogers was the highlight of yesterday. Loved him ever since my dad used to play his tapes in the car when I about 5. :blush: