Newcastle United V Zulte-Waregem

Greg

I always find myself saying, we'll get beat if we play next time like that, but at the end of the day, don't we just play like that when the opposition are shite and there's nowt to play for?

I can't get it out of my mind that under Keegan that game would have been a slaughter :) Probably just rose tinted an all that...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't get it out of my mind that under Keegan that game would have been a slaughter :) Probably just rose tinted an all that...

How long is it since we gave anyone a real thrashing?

Pompy 3-0? West Brom 3-0 twice last year... Not many like.

I can't get it out of my mind that under Keegan that game would have been a slaughter :( Probably just rose tinted an all that...

:)

I'd just like to make clear at no point in any time have I been involved in any kind of BDSM partnership with Dr Ken :(

I'm not talking threes and fours. We used to put five, six or seven past sides regularly (well, a couple of times a season). Don't think we've had one of those since before Sourmess.

Edited by Dr Kenneth Noisewater

I'm not talking threes and fours. We used to put five, six or seven past sides regularly (well, a couple of times a season). Don't think we've had one of those since before Sourmess.

Breda 5-0, though we've had a few 4s since then, Olympiakos, Mallorca.

Breda 5-0, though we've had a few 4s since then, Olympiakos, Mallorca.

Eto'o played that night and Taylor had one of his first games. Top few days away.

This dutch side sound like they are going to be a handful. Not the easiest of draws but finally it becomes a decent competition.

Ratings from The Sun:

DREAM TEAM STAR MAN

OBAFEMI MARTINS (Newcastle). Class act.

SUN RATINGS

NEWCASTLE: Harper 6, Taylor 6, Bramble 6, Babayaro 6 (Huntingdon 6), Milner 7, Solano 6, Butt 6 (Pattison 6), Dyer 6, Duff 6, Luque 5 (Carroll 6), Martins 8. Subs not used: Srnicek, O’Brien, Edgar, LuaLua.

ZULTE WAREGEM: Bossut 6, Minne 6 (Reina 6), D’Haene 6, Dindeleux 6, Buysse 6, Vandermarliere 7, Van Steenbrugge 6, Vannieuwenhuyse 7, Meert 6, Van Den Driessche 6 (Sergeant 6), Siani 6 (Matthys 6). Subs not used: Merlier, Verschuere. Booked: Reina.

REF: Nikolai Ivanov (Rus) 6.

Ratings from The Sun:

DREAM TEAM STAR MAN

OBAFEMI MARTINS (Newcastle). Class act.

SUN RATINGS

NEWCASTLE: Harper 6, Taylor 6, Bramble 6, Babayaro 6 (Huntingdon 6), Milner 7, Solano 6, Butt 6 (Pattison 6), Dyer 6, Duff 6, Luque 5 (Carroll 6), Martins 8. Subs not used: Srnicek, O’Brien, Edgar, LuaLua.

ZULTE WAREGEM: Bossut 6, Minne 6 (Reina 6), D’Haene 6, Dindeleux 6, Buysse 6, Vandermarliere 7, Van Steenbrugge 6, Vannieuwenhuyse 7, Meert 6, Van Den Driessche 6 (Sergeant 6), Siani 6 (Matthys 6). Subs not used: Merlier, Verschuere. Booked: Reina.

REF: Nikolai Ivanov (Rus) 6.

Ahh the good old "lets gan to the pub, its a piece of piss just say Martins was class and Bramble was shite"

I thought meert deserved better than a 6 as well...

but it doesn't matter, we're through and the first English club to lift a competitive trophy this season

Last night was just a training exercise really.

Zulte had no intention of 'going for it' so Newcastle just went through the motions without any real urgency.

A lot of the runs by Bert Luque and Martins were ignored for some reason.

For only the second time in my life, I left before the final whistle :) (first was the FA Cup game against Cov 3 or 4 seasons ago).

Zulte had no intention of 'going for it' so Newcastle just went through the motions without any real urgency.

For only the second time in my life, I left before the final whistle :) (first was the FA Cup game against Cov 3 or 4 seasons ago).

How did it go with the Hitler Youth Snakey?

For only the second time in my life, I left before the final whistle :( (first was the FA Cup game against Cov 3 or 4 seasons ago).

How did it go with the Hitler Youth Snakey?

PMSL :):(:(:blink:

See my report in the other thread.

I thought las night was alright, i would have took it at the start . No bookings , no injuries and a clean sheet. It was hardly a massive work out so hopefully all the lads should be fully fit for Sunday.

They had no intention of going for it , we might as well have sat back in our own half and played triangles.

Not the greatest of games to sit through but im looking at the bigger picture.

Biggest disappointment was Duff imo. Only came into it when the part timers were feeling cramp and our superior fitness made a difference. 1st half their RB had him in his pocket tbh.

Duff's been shite since we signed him.

Anyone know why?

Biggest disappointment was Duff imo. Only came into it when the part timers were feeling cramp and our superior fitness made a difference. 1st half their RB had him in his pocket tbh.

Anyone know why?

Nope, you got any ideas?

Anyone know why?

Nope, you got any ideas?

I have seen far less of Duff than other folk, but the impression I have is: a) he doesn't get the greatest of support from the left back - whether that's been babayaro or whoever, b he seems to want to trick his way into a scoring opportunity for himself - rather than others. Whether b is a direct result of a I don't know; maybe he gets frustrated at not being as integral/significant to a game as he feels he could be and overcompensates?

Just a thought.

Edited by snakehips