If a nuclear bomb..........

Guest stevieintoon

i reckon it would depend on the height that the bomb was detonated

Rob W will know - he worked on the Manhatton project.

Most of them go off one mile above the ground. I can't see the blast wiping out Whitley Bay if goes off ove the toon. People one mile away from the epicentre of Hiroshima survived.

Aye, but...

I think modern ICBMs are a good deal more powerful than the H-Bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, like.

Aye but not so powerful everything is wiped out 12 miles away.

With a powerful enough bomb you could have significant damage within that sort of range.

It's still quite a range, we should narrow it down a bit. What if it's a selfmade nuclear bomb made out of an old boiler...

Anyway...

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Science/Nuke.html

:unsure::unsure:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've no idea.

But I know of something, which would perhaps give some idea of the scale of damage.

In 1978, General Sir John Hackett (a former NATO commander) wrote a book called 'The Third World War'. It was done as a history book published in 1987, looking at the three week long Third World War of August 1985.

In the process of the war, the Soviet Union detonate an SS-17 nuclear missile 3,500 feet above Birmingham:

"Within a fraction of a second the resulting fireball, with temperatures approaching those of the sun, was over 2,000 metres in diameter and reached down towards the centre of Birmingham. The incredibly brilliant white flash which accompanied the detonation was visible in London. Even at that range, individuals looking at the fireball suffered temporary blindness and felt a faint flush of heat on their faces."

Hackett details that the heat effects was significant upon people and places within 20km of the blast.

Yachtsmen 19km away "felt their skin begin to burn as the lasting pulse of heat from the fireball hit them. The thoughtful ones dived into the water to escape the burning heat. Those who did not suffered blistering burns on all exposed skin. The varnish on their boats bubbled, nylon sails melted and newspapers lying in the boats burst into flames."

Closer to the blast countryside foliage "crisped as if autumn had arrived. Smaller brushwood was smouldering. Haystacks were burning and paintwork on buildings and vehicles in the path of the heat-wave blistered."

12km away from the blast "people caught in the open recieved burns which needed immediate hospital treatment. At this range curtains and other materials inside rooms that were exposed to the heat pulse began to smoulder and in some cases burst into flames. Any lightweight objects such as newspapers, canvas and empty packaging in the open soon caught fire."

Closer in - intense heat levels. "Almost any lightweight material subject to the heat-wave burst into flames while metals and other objects were scorched and distorted." "Clothing worn by individuals no longer gave protection against the heat. Clothes burned off, and people in the open recieved such extensive burns that their prospects of recovery, even with first-class medical assistance were negligable. Fires were started inside and outside buildings to an increasing extent as the epicentre was approached, with apparently almost total conflagration occuring within three to four kilometres."

The blast wave followed within seconds. The pressure crushed all buildings below the epicentre leaving a mountain of rubble. The blast wave then roared outwards. Nothing survived within 3km of the epicentre. Between 3-6 km "a few of the smaller and strongly constructed buildings remained standing, some at crazy angles and missing many portions of softer construction around reinforced concrete or steel skeletons." Lighter and modern buildings such as schools and hospitals were destroyed beyond recognition, as were most houses and other residential buildings.

People indoors were buried in the rubble.

3-4km of the epicentre very few people survived the immediate effects

4-8km people trapped and killed in the rubble.

over 8km - Damage levels fell, but lightweight structures blown over, roofs blown off, windows blown out, turning the glass into missiles causing much injury to people.

Windspeeds at the airport 12km away from the blast reached 160kph, tearing wings off planes and tails, and turning others on their sides.

Over 12km - minor damage, mainly confined to broken windows and shifted roof tiles. Though the roar of the blast was loud and lasted about 15 seconds. 8 minutes later, the roar was heard in London.

1 minute after the blast - a mushroom cloud 15km high and 20km wide over the Birmingham area.

Fires reported in towns beyond 15km - Wolverhampton, Sutton Coldfield, Solihull.

Most roads in Birmingham covered by rubble and roads with 5-6km blocked by masonry. The only means of movement in the area provided by the M5 and M6 motorways - due to being away from buildings and relatively free from obstruction - "The bridges along them had also survived remarkably well."

The centres of nearby towns - Dudley, Walsall and Halesowen - impassible. Though the road systems were visible and damage considerably less than in Birmingham.

Of Birmingham's 2m pop - 300,000 killed within minutes by heat and blast effects or because they couldn't be reached by medical teams.

A further 250,000 suffered serious blast or burn injuries.

500,000 recieved minor injuries which were able to be either treated by the people themselves or by First Aid.

Only a very small number entirely free of injury.

Half the hospitals in the area - destroyed or rendered totally unusable.

Only a quarter of the remainder able to function normally.

Doctors and Ambulance crews suffered in proportion to the civil population and so harldy any were able to cope.

3 quarters of Fire Service equipment in Birmingham destroyed. Fire Brigade unable to move along blocked roads.

Communication systems within and out of Birmingham destroyed.

Total electrical failure in Birmingham and large parts of the Midlands.

Most of them go off one mile above the ground. I can't see the blast wiping out Whitley Bay if goes off ove the toon. People one mile away from the epicentre of Hiroshima survived.

Aye, but...

I think modern ICBMs are a good deal more powerful than the H-Bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, like.

Didn't you ask the question first?

the nagasaki bomb was 21 kilotons...the current trident warheads are 3.8 megatons. so...considerably more powerful.

my maths is shit, but 1Mt is 100 Kt's, which is amazing.

They also work in a somewhat different, or at least refined and efficient, way.

So it would be a long way off really to survive (although some might get lucky closer in as some did in WW2 – quite a few survived closer in that the level of destruction lead people to think, of course that’s more than balanced out by the death in the months and years [and years] from it :unsure:).

A better question is if anyone dropped a nuclear bomb on Middlesbrough would anyone actually notice? (or mind?)

Aye, but...

1 megaton:

Destruction of most buildings : in a radius of 3.8 miles

Damage to most buildings: in a radius of 10.5 miles

Kentucky fried picknicers: in a radius of 6.2 miles

20 megatons:

Destruction of most buildings : in a radius of 10.5 miles

Damage to most buildings: in a radius of 29.2 miles

Kentucky fried picknicers: in a radius of 18.6 miles

The US has a reserve of fifty 9 megaton nuclear bombs, which until 1988 were mounted on Titan II ICBM's

The biggest ever succesfull nuclear weapon test to date was a 50 Megaton explosion by the Russians, although that would involve the death of any bomber crew sent to drop it

P.S. for 9 megatons, it's not as simple as halving the difference of the figures above due to the inverse square law, but suffice to say, if you were in a beer garden in Whitley Bay at H hour, it would not be a good day out

When I was at school (many years ago) my physics teacher was some sort of area advisor and he told us that at that time (about 1980) it was assumed the Russians' targets were : one on the Tyne bridge, one mouth of the Tyne, one Blyth power station and one on Sunderland town centre (the regional bunker is under their civic centre) so I'd say you were well fucked anywhere with people around.

An extract from a mid 1980s film in which nuclear bombs fall on Britain

http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/search/...ses-nuclear-war

And this is what people were supposed to do.

Public advice in the event of a nuclear attack

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_47...w=bb&mp=rm#

http://www.cybertrn.demon.co.uk/atomic/main.htm

Aye. Hide in a cupboard or under a bridge - change your clothes and everything will be FINE.

I didn't but

http://www.pgs.ca/updir/1bomb.pdf

gives some ideas - it depends on yield, height of explosion and weather

a 1MT bomb can blind out to 80 kms, cause superficial burns out to 15 kms and seriou slife threatening burns out to 10 kms

Blast will destroy almost all buildings totally out to 2kms and all ordinary houses out to 8 kms - combined with the flash you will get fires up to 30 kms away

It's estimated everyone within 3km would die immediately and 50% of those at 8kms from blast alone

then there is fallout of course.....................................

a 10kT weapon would reduce the above numbers by about a factor of ten

When I was at school (many years ago) my physics teacher was some sort of area advisor and he told us that at that time (about 1980) it was assumed the Russians' targets were : one on the Tyne bridge, one mouth of the Tyne, one Blyth power station and one on Sunderland town centre (the regional bunker is under their civic centre) so I'd say you were well fucked anywhere with people around.

I understand that the targets were Boulmer (Radar Station), Newcastle Airport, the A Power Station at Hartlepool, Catterick (where the RSG was), and the two main urban conurbations on Tyneside and Teeside

I understand that the targets were Boulmer (Radar Station), Newcastle Airport, the A Power Station at Hartlepool, Catterick (where the RSG was), and the two main urban conurbations on Tyneside and Teeside

Sunderland not worth bombing then?

Anyone see the film Threads in the 80s set in Sheffield? Grim stuff.

So presumebly - one missile would deliver 6 warheads to its targets.

Christ - the north east would be completely ruined.

I didn't

Official secrets act eh ? :unsure:

Guest stevieintoon

I would've thought Vickers would've been the prime target in the N.E. I would be gone in a mili-second. I done some reading about it yesterday, and it's very rare they have nukes bigger than 10 mega ton, but even that would kill everyone instantly in a 8 mile radius, thus proving my point though that you could survive the initial blast on the mini Golf Course at St Mary's Island. If I was the Russians, I'd hit these places in order:

London - would paralyse the country even if only London was hit, we'd all be fucked anyway in terms of life and society

Glasgow - where the Nuclear subs are sometimes based

Plymouth - see above

Square_leg.gif

This is what the government forecasted an all out Soviet attack would be like.

Note the Soviet plans look like the only place with a reasonable sized population they'd leave alone is Teesside - wonder why that is? :unsure:

Edited by stevieintoon

Guest stevieintoon

Sunderland not worth bombing then?

Anyone see the film Threads in the 80s set in Sheffield? Grim stuff.

I seen it as a kid, and it frightened me more than anything I've seen since, when that woman pisses herself :unsure: