the consensus amongst us

tinofbeans

Is that glenn roeder will never be good enough to manage us, as typified by the drab and uncreative football we play and the players we have on board that do the managers bidding.

for me we need rid of most of the first team squad and the manager, but bearing in mind our cashflow situation, and the FACT that the way we negotiate leaves us with a big problem (i.e. high wages for average players)

what would your solutions be?

The priority for me is to get a proper manager in and allow them to establish a proper coaching setup/scouting network. Give them this talked-about £20m to spend and see where we go from there. It's about establishing a foundation though with a manager with a vision and the ability to see it through. Fuck knows what Roeder sees through those glasses of his, but it's painfully obvious that he has nothing like the ability to manage a club of this size. It's completely beyond him and it isn't worth persevering with him any longer.

Having said that, does ANYONE anticipate him not being here come the start of next season? Why interrupt your summer holiday sacking someone when you can do it in the first week of September? That's Shepherd's motto.

Nightmare scenario for me is Roeder stays on, has another abortion of a transfer window (spending a fair bit too) then gets sacked five games into the new season.

Nightmare scenario for me is Roeder stays on, has another abortion of a transfer window (spending a fair bit too) then gets sacked five games into the new season.

Given our track record it is all to probable. Maybe we 'plan' to sack them then?

Same here. You'd think Shepherd would learn his lesson, but he's too much of a baffoon for that. That in turn makes next season a write off.

Fucks sake :o

and yet that is what's going to happen :o

How about spending £300m on the stadium and £20 million on new players?.When infact it should be £20 million on the stadium (plenty of cowboys in the yellow pages would do it for that) :o and £300m on players.

for me we need rid of most of the first team squad

Really? Not just most of the defense?

I reckon Given, Owen, Martins, Milner, Zoggy, Dyer, Solano, Parker/Butt, Ameobi and even Taylor can all be accomodated in our squad.

The team is playing without confidence (unsurprisingly).

The midfield/strikers are capable of playing a shit load better with a more solid defence IMO. I reckon with Owen/Ameobi back we have no need to splash out on strikers...I'd like to see us spend that whole £20m on defenders... :o

Edited by Asprilla's foreskin

Is that glenn roeder will never be good enough to manage us, as typified by the drab and uncreative football we play and the players we have on board that do the managers bidding.

for me we need rid of most of the first team squad and the manager, but bearing in mind our cashflow situation, and the FACT that the way we negotiate leaves us with a big problem (i.e. high wages for average players)

what would your solutions be?

Sack the board.

Sack the manager.

Sack the team.

Convert St James to the worlds first professional tiddley-winks stadium instead.

Roeder won't be sacked until Shearer is ready, Shepherd happy to tread water until his golden boy is ready to step in.

Next season to be another utter holocaust.

i predict:

roeder will be backed in the summer. he will spend a shedload of cash on average players. we will start the season poorly (as always), then shepherd will sack him around early september.

shearer won't be ready to drop his media commitments and takeover as manager; shepherd won't have the intellect or bottle to appoint a decent replacement - he'll either pay a few million in compensation for someone like steve bruce or go for a proper (ie cheap) manager like dave basset to take over in the interim.

leazesmag will argue on that you can't blame shepherd because he backs his manager with cash and we're the 5th best club in the country while the rest of us despair or become even more apathetic.

....and so the cycle continues.

Just hope this big sam rumour is true. Tbh I'm not that big a fan of the style of football his team plays but his coaching methods and fitness regimes etc seem spot on.

I'd settle for him coming in and steadying the boat, plus I reckon he could get a lot more out of our current squad than rodent is, add twenty mil to spend in the summer and we could start clawing some respectability as a football club.

Roeder won't be sacked until Shearer is ready, Shepherd happy to tread water until his golden boy is ready to step in.

I've thought this for ages. Fat Fred has only ever had one "plan" from the day Shearer started taking coaching badges and that has been to bring him in as manager because he's the ultimate geordie and toon legend and therfore will be the bestest manager in the whole wide world ever!

We don't know when it'll happen but once we had a short term, cheap and (not to be harsh, but) nonentity in Roeder as manager it makes it all the easier to move him on when Big Al becomes ready to step in.

We'd all probably prefer Fred to use some brains and bring in a top class manager who would completely sort this fucked up club from top to bottom (well apart from the board upwards!) and give them a whole pre-season to spend money and sort things out ready to start the new season with some hope...

But there is only plan A which is Shearer and so, if Shearer can't (coaching qualifications) or won't take over this close season we are going to start next season with Roeder in temporary (whatever he might like to think) control and nobody in their right mind wants that.

i predict:

roeder will be backed in the summer. he will spend a shedload of cash on average players. we will start the season poorly (as always), then shepherd will sack him around early september.

shearer won't be ready to drop his media commitments and takeover as manager; shepherd won't have the intellect or bottle to appoint a decent replacement - he'll either pay a few million in compensation for someone like steve bruce or go for a proper (ie cheap) manager like dave basset to take over in the interim.

leazesmag will argue on that you can't blame shepherd because he backs his manager with cash and we're the 5th best club in the country while the rest of us despair or become even more apathetic.

....and so the cycle continues.

Probably spot on apart from Leazes seems to have disappeared since even he realised that he had made a bit of an arse of himself.

You are right though, Shepherds lack of foresight is staggering. On 3 occasions he has reacted to a situation and employed men who clearly werent up to the job. On one occasion Bobby was about and got him out of the shit. Why not plan the next appointment? You would think he would learn.

Nobody suggests it is easy to find a good manager but its a good deal easier if you are actually looking.

Convert St James to the worlds first professional tiddley-winks stadium instead.

fill with water and make a nice Lido tbh

Ludo tbh

I've thought this for ages. Fat Fred has only ever had one "plan" from the day Shearer started taking coaching badges and that has been to bring him in as manager because he's the ultimate geordie and toon legend and therfore will be the bestest manager in the whole wide world ever!

We don't know when it'll happen but once we had a short term, cheap and (not to be harsh, but) nonentity in Roeder as manager it makes it all the easier to move him on when Big Al becomes ready to step in.

We'd all probably prefer Fred to use some brains and bring in a top class manager who would completely sort this fucked up club from top to bottom (well apart from the board upwards!) and give them a whole pre-season to spend money and sort things out ready to start the new season with some hope...

But there is only plan A which is Shearer and so, if Shearer can't (coaching qualifications) or won't take over this close season we are going to start next season with Roeder in temporary (whatever he might like to think) control and nobody in their right mind wants that.

Yup, I starting to think this has been the plan all along. Get Roeder in, predicting that although we won't go great shakes at least he'll not get us relegated, then bring in Shearer in some capacity where we can all have one giant geordie wankathon.

I actually think that while Roeder has made an arse of on-the-oitch matters, he doesn't talk out of his arse about other aspects. He has spoken intelligently about our youth team and scouting network needing a total revamping. He has also been open about the fact that he is being over cautious about spending the transfer kitty.

I admit that we're treading water at the minute, but as long as we're mid-table, then maybe Freddy is happy to pay Roeder his modest enough wages(I'm guessing here) and keep him on his rolling contract. The shite performances have not helped his or Roeder's case, but Roeder remains easy to get rid of, step down or whatever they want to call it when Shearer/Koeman(my choice)/or whoever else is ready to take over.

Roeder is nothing more than a director/youth team director/caretaker manager who has been promoted above his means. He probably wouldn't accept it, but I'd like him to stay on in a DOF or youth team leader type role when he inevitably is releived of his duties.

Really? Not just most of the defense?

I reckon Given, Owen, Martins, Milner, Zoggy, Dyer, Solano, Parker/Butt, Ameobi and even Taylor can all be accomodated in our squad.

honestly, given is good enough, owen if he comes back anywhere near the player he was will be great,

parker is not effective enough, butt getting too old ( though up until recently would have been my player of the season). dyer is a great talent but we see too little of him ( up until recently) ameobi is good enough to play in the premiership but in a top 4 side, no way.

milner and the zog are both good prospects and taylor will be as well one day but he needs leadership from a senior centre half.

emre is too inconsistent.... as is martins. Duff as well.

sad thing is i definitely do not have the answer. free transfers and suchlike (loans) notwithstanding i doubt very much whether we'd have much chance in the window.

we do however need a leader in the form of a manager. not the spineless twat in charge of the first team.

I actually think that while Roeder has made an arse of on-the-oitch matters, he doesn't talk out of his arse about other aspects. He has spoken intelligently about our youth team and scouting network needing a total revamping. He has also been open about the fact that he is being over cautious about spending the transfer kitty.

I admit that we're treading water at the minute, but as long as we're mid-table, then maybe Freddy is happy to pay Roeder his modest enough wages(I'm guessing here) and keep him on his rolling contract. The shite performances have not helped his or Roeder's case, but Roeder remains easy to get rid of, step down or whatever they want to call it when Shearer/Koeman(my choice)/or whoever else is ready to take over.

Roeder is nothing more than a director/youth team director/caretaker manager who has been promoted above his means. He probably wouldn't accept it, but I'd like him to stay on in a DOF or youth team leader type role when he inevitably is releived of his duties.

Hmmm theres a dozen threads in the last week would refute that statement.

And personally I would like him to fuck off as far away as possible and have nothing more to do with this football club, I wouldnt employ him to cut the grass never mind have dealings with the kids. :o