Virgin Media Broadband

NJS

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Toplass-101

Good job I asked yaz, I was gona ring and complain that mine wasnt working just like everyone else is ;)

Guest Toplass-101

Just got a bill today, I pay £18 a month for Broadband Size: M

Edited by Toplass-101

Has anyone has any experience of Sky broadband? Thinking about getting their TV/BB/Talk package.

I'm on their "Max" package - £10 for 16Mb (think it's 16Mb). Speed isn't that fantastic tbh, probably get about 2Mb but then my local exchange is pretty shite.

Seldom have any connection problems and I use Xbox Live! with it (via wireless) and it works perfectly.

Think nufc4eva pointed me in the direction of a ADSL faceplate for the BT socket that gives you the ability to filter all your extensions without using those naff individual filters, and, as voice only uses two of the six wires, I used the others and ran a special ADSL cable from that to my PC. ;)

Cheers mate, I think I'll be getting on to them either at the weekend or next week, still not got myself round to organising that. Still need to get BT to come round and sort out the master socket and inline bit from the outside to the master socket that's basically gone. I'm just sat looking at some frayed wires and that little round box thing.

My download is 2070 kbs and upload is 229 kbs.

is that good or not ?

Equivalent to around 20mb i would say

Nah, by the speed tests that counts as 2MB, cause I got 8000KB/s and I'm meant to be on 10MB

The way I judge mine is by downloading 2 large files at once and see how quick their coming down

Blatant euphemism for Wacky giving a double blowie.

Blatant fantasy tbh

Somebody used it yesterday, but "while you're down there.." ;)

2meg unlimited £10 month.

Can't argue with that for value. On virgin media. I've no need for any more speed, this connection is faster then the 8meg i had on plusnet which just seems a bit wrong, i also paid 3x more for that then i do for this (when you include line rental).

For the record, BT ARE SHITE.

Well, actually I have no problem with their home service. But I just moved business premises and got them to move my telephone stuff and broadband. Now Im told I wont have broadband until next friday as Im in a new address that their system didnt recognise. the same fucking address they managed to install the bastard phone lines into and that the electric/water/waste people and so on found without a problem.

Twats... and there seems to be fuck all I can do about it.

For the record, BT ARE SHITE.

Yes they are.

I am on an upto 8mb connection though I think our area can only get 5mb max however my connection has dropped to me getting speeds of 160kbs and I have had to put up with this for the last fortnight as BT India keep spouting all kinds of shite yet not dealing with the problem.

I'm with BT business and have to say I've never had a problem with them in over two years.

Nor had I until they sorted my move :lol:

Got my bill from Virgin today without the promised refund from last month so rang to complain and see if the upgrade had happened.

Messed about quite a bit until I spoke to a lass who did seem to care (had to ask me to calm down a couple of times and tbh if I'd been her I'd have told me to fuck off).

Upshot was that the upgrade has happened but as I'd suspected the throughput on my router was limiting it (bought a new router off ebay at the weekend in anticipation) but worryingly the tech support people knew nothing about networks.

Wacky - if you have a router attached it might me worth trying a direct connection (heinous crime normally) just to see if thats your problem.

Anyway the lass rang me back at the end and offered me the price of the 8Mb connection for 6 months (£12 saving) so what with having a good rant, getting it working (sort of) and saving money it all worked out okay in the end (for now).

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...cnvirgin102.xml

Virgin Media, the £4bn cable TV giant, has effectively put itself up for sale after asking advisers to consider whether it has a future as a publicly-listed company.

Sir Richard Branson: Virgin Media hoists 'for sale' sign

Sir Richard Branson is thought to be worried at the damage to the Virgina Media brand

Its board has instructed Goldman Sachs to review its ownership options after the receipt in the past fortnight of an indicative proposal from US buyout firm Carlyle Group pitched at $30 a share.

It has also emerged that Virgin Media has separately been examining a possible disposal of its business telecoms arm, which turned over more than £600m last year.

Carlyle's approach values the Nasdaq-listed group at around $10bn (£5bn). Virgin Media shares closed at $24.37 on Friday, down from the high of $28.55 which they hit two days after the company's St Valentine's Day relaunch.

Bankers at Goldman are now examining its prospects to judge whether the company would be more appropriately valued by taking it private. Virgin Media declined to comment but the company could be forced to make an announcement as early as today. Goldman is preparing an information memorandum for potential bidders.

advertisement

A pack of buyout firms has been circling Virgin Media for more than a year, with Kohlberg Kravis Roberts, Permira and Providence Equity Partners all among those considering participating in a ''club'' deal to take over British commercial TV's biggest challenger to BSkyB and ITV.

A consortium including Providence, Blackstone, KKR and Cinven made an abortive £10bn approach last summer at about $30 a share.One source close to the situation said Virgin Media was now more willing to entertain offers because the share price had underperformed many peers since then.

''Boards have a duty to consider any offer that is reasonable and, as the share price hasn't moved much in the last year while the telecoms sector has done well, the board may be more willing than last time,'' said the source.

The company has come under severe pressure from shareholders, notably the second largest, Franklin Mutual, which answered May's poor first-quarter results by saying it was likely to seek talks with the company over strategy, corporate governance and management.

Sir Richard Branson, the largest shareholder, is also thought to be worried at the damage to the brand from the setbacks since the relaunch, including a legal battle with Sky over the supply of the satellite group's basic channels.

In the first quarter, Virgin Media swung to an operating loss and revealed that, despite a £25m spend on the relaunch, it had lost 46,900 subscribers to its TV, broadband and telephony services in the first three months of 2007. A takeover by private equity would be the latest in a remarkable series of mergers and restructurings in Britain's cable industry.

It is less than two years since NTL and Telewest, having emerged from bankruptcy protection, merged in an attempt to build a credible pay-TV rival to Sky. Last year, the merged group acquired Sir Richard's Virgin Mobile, so adding mobile phone services and rebuilding the damaged brand.

Edited by Happy Face

Not suprised when a way of combating ever increasing problem calls with B/B is to start charging your customers 25p a minute to try and sort the problem, thats after you've sat on hold for an average of 15 minutes.

Branson you bearded fucka i hope your next shit is a hair brush