Breaking news: Viduka signs two year deal

ohhh_yeah

believe it when I see it.

also, not overly excited about him, he's getting on a bit, never been particularly committed to any of the clubs he's played for, I have doubts whether or not he'll be happy as third choice and if he's intended to be 1st or 2nd I'd rather just keep Oba and Owen tyvm

but at the end of the day he's better than what we've got and is good cover

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest alex

also, not overly excited about him, he's getting on a bit, never been particularly committed to any of the clubs he's played for, I have doubts whether or not he'll be happy as third choice and if he's intended to be 1st or 2nd I'd rather just keep Oba and Owen tyvm

Do you reckon Owen and Martins will be a decent partnership though? I don't see how they could play together myself (in a front 2 anyway). Viduka + either one of them would be more balanced imo.

I don't think Owen will be here come the start of the season, if he is though I can see Allardyce trying to play all 3 of them, he played with 3 strikers at Bolton.

Magpies closing on DukeMay 31 2007

by Carol Ward, Evening Gazette

NEWCASTLE United were today closing in on Boro star striker Mark Viduka.

The word from St James’ Park is that the Magpies are confident of completing the free transfer signing of the Aussie within days.

Viduka is currently in Australia but Newcastle sources say that the 31-year-old has verbally committed himself to moving to Tyneside.

New Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce has not yet been given a budget for big money signings, but free transfer signings of Viduka and Bolton defender Tal Ben Haim appeal to the board.

The Magpies are currently in the middle of a potential takeover and no transfer money is likely to be released for some time.

But if Newcastle can tie up the signings of Viduka and Ben Haim in the near future then it will appease their fans and probably give season ticket sales a boost. So far the Geordie fans have been slow to take up season ticket renewals.

Newcastle have a wage structure which would easily accommodate giving Viduka a huge salary hike, and there is a belief on Teesside that the player will accept the highest possible offer to secure a future for his family.

In addition, he would not have to move from his home in North Yorkshire if he signs for the Magpies.

The potential loss of Viduka will not come as a surprise to Gareth Southgate, though it will be a major disappointment.

Southgate has done everything he can to try to convince the player to stay, and has been in regular contact by phone since Viduka flew out to Australia.

If Viduka goes it will create a massive hole in the Boro attack.

Viduka scored 19 goals last season and is a vital part of Boro’s pattern of play.

The loss of Viduka could well lead to Southgate turning his attentions to Diomansy Kamara at West Bromwich.

However, the Baggies’ likely high asking price, and the fact that AS Roma are also apparently interested in the player, creates the belief that Kamara will not end up on Teesside.

Southgate has already spent £7m to bring Jonathan Woodgate to the Riverside on a permanent deal, and does not have an open cheque book.

The manager has been spreading his net far and wide, and recently failed in a bid to sign Luke Varney from Crewe, who opted to join Charlton Athletic instead.

Now he has been linked with Oldham Athletic's Chris Porter, who top scored with 23 goals last season. The 23-year-old has so far declined to sign a contract extension at Boundary Park and could sign for another club, though there would be a fee involved as he is under the age of 24.

While Boro may lose Viduka, Stuart Parnaby is also talking to other clubs after rejecting a new contract extension on Teesside.

The defender has attracted interest from newly promoted Birmingham City, who have been previously linked with interest in George Boateng.

There was good news today for Dong-Gook Lee, who is back in the South Korea squad for a friendly against Holland this weekend. The Boro striker will be hoping to play some part in the match and keep his place in the squad for the Asian Cup games, which start in July.

Meanwhile Dutch club AZ Alkmaar have announced they will be playing a friendly against Boro at the Riverside Stadium on Saturday, August 4.

It is the only home friendly revealed so far.

Boro drew 0-0 in a group game in Alkmaar on their way to the 2006 UEFA Cup Final.

The Dutch side are also due to play Hartlepool in a friendly three days earlier.

Boro have confirmed they will play friendly fixtures against top German sides Schalke O4 and Hertha Berlin during a pre-season trip to Austria in July.

Southgate’s side will meet Bundesliga runners-up Schalke in their opening pre-season friendly on Friday, July 13.

They will then meet Hertha, who finished tenth in last season’s Bundesliga, on Tuesday, July 17.

Both games will take place in Austria, where Boro will be based for a week’s training camp. Venues and kick-off times will be confirmed in the near future.

Boro XI line-ups will later play friendly fixtures at Burnley on Saturday, July 21 (3pm), Darlington on Tuesday, July 24 (7.30pm), Hibernian on Saturday, July 28 (3pm) and Carlisle on Tuesday, July 31 (7.45pm).

Green light for Viduka arrivalMay 31 2007

By Lee Ryder, The Evening Chronicle

Mark Viduka is about to join Newcastle United and become Sam Allardyce's first signing after snubbing Middlesbrough's last-gasp bid to keep him on Teesside and turning down Harry Redknapp at Portsmouth.

And while the capture of Viduka appeared all but in the bag for Big Sam today, the Chronicle also understands that captain Scott Parker is on the verge of quitting the club for a return to London with his former boss Alan Curbishley at West Ham.

Later editions of the Chronicle on Tuesday revealed that West Ham had tabled a bid for Parker, and it appears that the wheels are now in motion for his exit after just two years on Tyneside.

However, sources in London said today that United had still not responded to the Hammers' bid.

Amid a hectic eight days at St James', in which the emergence of Mike Ashley has shaken the world of football, Parker's escape back to the capital has also triggered the possibility of Manchester City rebel Joey Barton coming to Tyneside, with Big Sam touted as the man to get the midfielder's chequered career back on track.

Parker has always received a mixed reception among the Toon Army despite a solid first season at United which earned him the captain's armband from the retiring Alan Shearer.

A Toon insider said today: "Scott has settled in well in the North-East but may feel the need for pastures new from a footballing point of view."

However, Parker knows his second season was below par by his own high standards, and the time could be right for a new challenge for the England international with the £8.5m price tag certainly an appealing one for Newcastle, meaning the Londoner may be about to pack his bags and leave with the Toon pocketing a £2m profit.

Viduka, on the other hand, is currently in Australia unwinding from a goal-laden campaign with Boro during which there was constant speculation he would walk away from the club.

The 31-year-old's reluctance to sign a new deal throughout the season didn't stop him from netting 19 times for Gareth Southgate's side, but the player has been unsettled since last summer when he actually came close to signing for Glenn Roeder.

Back then, Viduka had expressed an interest in coming to St James' Park for a nominal fee, with his contract almost up, but Boro put the block on the move when at one point it had looked like all systems go.

Indeed, James Milner's wasted trek to Villa Park to sign permanently for Martin O'Neill and Co highlighted the fact Viduka was on his way, with Roeder having to sacrifice his England Under-21 star to secure the Aussie striker.

Viduka was also targeted by West Ham and Portsmouth during the January transfer window. Pompey are still in the hunt, but it is unlikely that the Harrogate-based former Leeds man will move so far south, with the World Cup star settled in the north.

And after a phone conversation with Southgate in the last 24 hours, it appears that Boro, already resigned to losing their star turn, have finally thrown in the towel.

Viduka is not in the Australia squad to face Uruguay on Saturday and has been rested by coach Graham Arnold on the back of a tough season with Middlesbrough at the Riverside.

Arnold would love Viduka to play in the Asian Cup but the striker is considering hanging up his boots at international level and may not star for his country in the competition that starts on June 30 with the Aussies playing their opening games of the tournament in Bangkok.

The Irish FA are ready to name the successor to Lawrie Sanchez as Northern Ireland boss.

The new man could be unveiled as early as tomorrow following a meeting of the IFA's executive board. It is understood the governing body have targeted someone with international experience following Sanchez's departure to Fulham.

The new man will only be granted a short-term contract until the end of the Euro 2008 qualifiers in November.

One thing that's often been labeled against Viduka is that he only does the business when he has something to play for (World cup, new contract)

If he came here it would be for his final pay day IMO, what motivation would he have to perform every week?

Viduka's done it the last 10 years though not just 2. Even at Leeds, while Smith was hailed by the fans when they went down, Viduka was by far the better of the two and scored more goals, yet he got the stick.

Guest alex

One thing that's often been labeled against Viduka is that he only does the business when he has something to play for (World cup, new contract)

If he came here it would be for his final pay day IMO, what motivation would he have to perform every week?

Viduka's done it the last 10 years though not just 2. Even at Leeds, while Smith was hailed by the fans when they went down, Viduka was by far the better of the two and scored more goals, yet he got the stick.

Well, he did until Smith signed for Man Utd ;)

Smithy got the stones when he broke his bones though.

Guest alex

Smithy got the stones when he broke his bones though.

The perpetrators weren't true Liverpool fans [/Renton] :secret:

That's to be expected though isn't it considering Smith was the local lad, I don't agree Viduka was better tyhan him that season either, Smith gave everything when he went on the pitch that season where as Viduka was heavily criticized for not putting any effort in, as he knew they could easily get a move to another Premiership club.

Viduka has been a good player throughout his career, I'll not be expecting performances like he's put in for Boro over the last 6 months week in, week out here though, especially as he won't have anything to play for.

Middlesbrough hitman Viduka is currently in Australia but is believed to have verbally agreed to move to St James' Park this summer.

Portsmouth have also been heavily linked with the former Celtic and Leeds star - but the fact Viduka would not have to uproot his family and leave his North Yorkshire base appeals to the 31-year-old.

Magpies boss Allardyce has assessed his playing pool and wants Viduka as the powerful frontman he likes to have leading the line.

He is also hoping the arrival of Viduka will persuade Michael Owen to commit himself to the club.

The other area Allardyce is keen to strengthen is central defence, so has lined up Israeli hardman Ben Haim for a reunion when his Trotters contract runs out this summer.

Boro boss Gareth Southgate has all-but resigned himself to losing the services of Viduka so has already starting searching for his successor.

Viduka bagged 19 goals for the Teessiders last season so Southgate's number one target is prolific West Brom striker Diomansy Kamara, who is keen to leave The Hawthorns following their 1-0 defeat by Derby in the Championship play-off final at Wembley earlier this week.

The 26-year-old's 23-goal haul last season has won him a number of admirers, though, with Italian outfit Roma tipped to make a summer bid.

Albion signed Kamara from Portsmouth for £1.5million but will be looking for a handsome profit and a fee of around £6million, which may be out of Southgate's price range after he spent £7million signing Jonathan Woodgate on a permanent deal.

The Boro chief had targeted Crewe hitman Luke Varney but he has joined Charlton Athletic, so Oldham's Chris Porter - who top scored with 23 goals last season - is now firmly on his radar.

The 23-year-old has so far declined to sign a contract extension at Boundary Park and could sign for another club, though there would be a fee involved as he is under the age of 24.

Team Talk. Happy with both on free transfers if it happens. ;)

Middlesbrough hitman Viduka is currently in Australia but is believed to have verbally agreed to move to St James' Park this summer.

How about I take a jersey and when I see him on Saturday night, if he signs it we'll know for FACT?

i'd sooner we went for someone like david nugent. viduka will save us the transfer fee but i imagine he'll cost at least twice as much in wages and he's a short term solution.

Guest alex

Do you reckon Owen and Martins will be a decent partnership though?

Never going to happen, Martins goes missing to often ;)

Where's Often? Near Lagos? :secret:

Great signing, just the player to compliment Martins or Owen. Strong, can hold up the ball and bring others into the game. Just what we need i dare say and hopefully he will bang in the goals aswell as setting them up for others.

Then again he is just another fat, lazy aussie mercenary, tbh. ;)

i'd sooner we went for someone like david nugent. viduka will save us the transfer fee but i imagine he'll cost at least twice as much in wages and he's a short term solution.

;)

Free on probably 50k for 2 years or 10m on 50k for 5 years and handing in a transfer request after 2 years because Man U are calling.

Yep much better solution.

Oh don't forget Viduka is so fat his arse has its' own post code.

Do you reckon Owen and Martins will be a decent partnership though?

Never going to happen, Martins goes missing to often ;)

Where's Often? Near Lagos? :secret:

I was thinking some where between Watford and Milan.

Boro are looking in a pretty dodgy situation if you believe what these reports are saying. They're about to lose their best attacker and they've already spent the majority of their transfer budget on a player who is well overdue another injury and was there last season when they were shite anyway.

Boro are looking in a pretty dodgy situation if you believe what these reports are saying. They're about to lose their best attacker and they've already spent the majority of their transfer budget on a player who is well overdue another injury and was there last season when they were shite anyway.

Yeah, they really do look in the shit. Viduka was massive for them, and probably helped Yakubu out as a partner and Woodgate could easilly get an injury anytime. And whenever Boateng gets an injury or suspension they tend to collapse! Such a shame, i mean their fans are fantastic and deserve so much better! ;)

;)

Free on probably 50k for 2 years or 10m on 50k for 5 years and handing in a transfer request after 2 years because Man U are calling.

Yep much better solution.

Oh don't forget Viduka is so fat his arse has its' own post code.

you reckon nugent would command the same wages as viduka?

knowing us i reckon we'll hand viduka about £60-70k per week. Nugent would probably be on about half that as a young player in his first season in the top flight.

Yeah, they really do look in the shit. Viduka was massive for them, and probably helped Yakubu out as a partner and Woodgate could easilly get an injury anytime. And whenever Boateng gets an injury or suspension they tend to collapse! Such a shame, i mean their fans are fantastic and deserve so much better! ;)

I really couldn't care less about them except for as you 'their fantastic fans' :secret: