Souness hits back!

Baggio

"Let me tell you, in my time at Newcastle one man and one man alone decided what player came to the club and what player left — and it wasn’t the manager. It was the chairman.

"He controlled how much Newcastle paid for a player, how much salary that individual received and how much the agent would be paid.

"I wasn’t involved in any discussions or meetings about those transactions. Not about the fee, the salary or the agents’ fees.

"The only exception was the Boumsong deal. I knew the details of that transfer fee because he was coming in from Rangers and I’m a close friend of their chairman David Murray. But the rest was the chairman’s business.

"So when Quest talk about inconsistencies, how that can be? They were happy with all the paperwork, it says so in black and white."

He adds: "As for Kenny Shepherd, why should I be held accountable for his testimony? I’m not even sure why he was there. He is basically a fan who just happens to be the chairman’s son. I don’t see why my evidence should be questioned against his."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...picbox&ct=5

As much as I hate the tw@t, i can't help thinking he's got a point here. I'd be fucking livid if i was in his shoes, we all knew fatty was pulling the strings with the transfers so why is he not being mentioned? Kenny Shepherd's involvement is very strange.

Hopefully the soon to be appointed trouble shooter will gun down all the scum who are fucking up our club

This whole quest business is a little bit fishy.

Of course Souness could be talking out of his arse an making excuses...

he'd never do that though, would he? :lol:

From Sir Bobby's book...

Bolton did manage to poach Gary Speed from us, however, and therein lies another tale of how disjointed the manager-chairman relationship had become. On our tour to the Far East, John Carver suddenly informed me, 'We've had an offer for Gary Speed from Bolton.' I knew nothing about it, so I went in search of the chairman for clarification. On no account did I want Gary Speed to leave. First I caught up with the player himself.

'Gary, what's all this about you wanting to go to Bolton Wanderers? I know nothing about it. The chairman hasn't mentioned it to me. When John Carver told me an hour ago I was aghast. What do you want to go to Bolton for?'

'The club are going to let me go,' Gary said. 'If you don't know anything about it, you'd better see the chairman.'

'As far as I'm concerned, you're not going to Bolton Wanderers,' I told him 'You're staying here'

That Saturday night, the day of our game, I tried the chairman's room, reception, the restaurant and the bar. Eventually, I was told he was out. I was so angry I sat in the foyer, waiting, for half an hour. Finally, the chairman's figure appeared in the doorway and I confronted him there and then. Under cross examination he denied all knowledge of Gary's impending move. It was heading into the realms of farce. The next step, naturally, was to go back to Gary. I spoke to him on our flight from Hong Kong.

'The chairman says he knows nothing about this Bolton thing,' I said and left it there. We arrived back in Newcastle on the Monday morning and, early that afternoon, the chairman called me. 'Gary Speed's in here with me, he wants to see you. He wants to say goodbye,' he said.

'What?' I exclaimed.

The deal had been completed that morning. Fifty years in the game have taught me that you cannot construct a transfer in four hours. The idea that a player of Gary Speed's calibre can be sold in four hours is absurd and yet I was being told throughout the weekend that the club knew nothing of Bolton's interest in one of our most valued players.

'Gary, this is not my doing,' I told him. 'I want to keep you.' Having let Hugo Viana go back to Portugal, to play more football, we had lost two left footed midfielders. I needed to plug that hole and so, when my indignation had subsided, I gave the chairman four names - Nicky Butt, Michael Carrick, Mark Van Bommel and Sean Davis.

'Why don't you bring Carrick in, he's talented, and he's a Geordie,' I suggested but the chairman was reluctant to pay West Ham £3 million for Carrick's services. His view was that he could acquire him for £500,000 in the January transfer window. Freddy Shepherd honestly believed that Carrick would not move to any Premier league club but Newcastle. He was in the last year of his contract at Upton Park - hence Freddy's belief that West Ham would have to unload him for a reduced fee in January.

I told him 'Look, chairman, if another club comes in and pays West Ham the money they're looking for, they will not turn that money down.' Michael Carrick signed for Tottenham Hotspur that summer.

Also...

The sands were shifting beneath my feet. Towards the end of that season, Charlie Woods came into my office.

'Bobby, you won't believe this, but David Pleat has been on and wants to know whats up with Lee Bowyer,' he said. David was the director of football at Spurs.

'David Pleat's been on the phone asking what?' I replied, incredulously.

Charlie ploughed on with the story. 'David was asking whether Lee is injured or something. He said. "The reason I'm asking is that he's been offered to me."

'The kid's worth £4 million,' I erupted. 'Who's offered him to Spurs?'

Charlie had the answer - 'The chairman'

Freddie Shepherd had apparently rung David Giess, Bowyer's agent, saying 'Get him out of this club. I want him out. I'm not paying his salary,' and so on and so on. He hadn't come to me for my opinion or asked, 'Are you happy with Bowyer?' I realised Bowyer wasn't playing very well and so did the chairman, but his response was to take the law into his own hands.

So that's two previous manager's who have accused Shepherd of interfering in signings... :lol:

Bobby mentioned Fat Sam in his book too in dodgy circumstances. Basically tapping up Shearer via text, byt sent it to poor Bobby instead.

there is a lesson to learn here.

OLD PEOPLE CANNOT TEXT

:lol:

Bobby mentioned Fat Sam in his book too in dodgy circumstances. Basically tapping up Shearer via text, byt sent it to poor Bobby instead.

Is that true? :lol::rolleyes:

"W0ZZUP SHEERA!!1 F4NCY COMIN 2 PLAY 4 B0LT3N NEXT SEAS0N?!!11! ITS GUN BE MINT!! OMG11!LOL!!11"

That Boumsong transfer is so dodgy. I'm sure I read a quote from the Rangers chairman afterwards saying something along the lines of he's always happy when Souness is in management because he'll always buy our players at high prices.

£8m for that clown ffs!

Souness is pretty much just confirming what we knew already.

As for the Robson quotes i've got to stop reading them as it makes me want to hunt Shepherd down and nail him to the underside of the Tyne Bridge :lol:

Edited by Skol

I think it's pretty normal nowadays that managers aren't that much involved in transfer negotiations - and that's all what Souness is saying. It doesn't mean that the players aren't signed on the recommendation of the manager, which I think was still the case with most/all of Souness buys.

"W0ZZUP SHEERA!!1 F4NCY COMIN 2 PLAY 4 B0LT3N NEXT SEAS0N?!!11! ITS GUN BE MINT!! OMG11!LOL!!11"

:rolleyes::woosh::woosh:

I fecking hate Shepherd, a scrote of the highest order. I miss Sir Bobby :lol:

I'd have really liked to have seen him take up some official role with the new owners, but I guess his health isn't up to that sort of thing now.

:rolleyes: