No Left Back

Barney

Losing hope of landing a new left-backJul 29 2007

by Neil Farrington, Sunday Sun

NEWCASTLE boss Sam Allardyce has admitted he is losing hope of landing a new left-back as the Premier League season fast approaches.

And he has reiterated that he fears he will have to gamble on more foreigners to plug the gaps right across United’s defence.

Having cast his net far and wide this summer and been linked recently with Reading’s Nicky Shorey, Allardyce last night declared: “Left backs? There aren’t any.

“There was the lad at Lyon (Eric Abidal) that went to Barcelona who is probably the best one around, but you look for the rest and say to yourself: ‘Where are they?’

“A lot of them are converted left-wingers, so they’re attacking-minded, whereas I’ve got the opposite slant on that.

“We’re attacking-minded as a squad. I need defensive solidarity and players who think defensively; natural defenders. They’re not easy to find.”

As for his general search for defensive reinforcements, Allardyce added: “The choice is more limited here (in England). They are fewer and farther between than they were.

“If I had been quick enough or had been in place as Newcastle manager sooner, I’d have looked at more Premiership free transfers.

“I tried for one — Tal Ben Haim — and if Sylvain Distin had still been available when I’d been here, he’d have been here.

“If you put Ben Haim and Distin here now, it would make a huge difference. You’d already have secured the problems with your defence, basically.

“You’d probably just look for a left-back of the right sort of experience and, perhaps, a right-back and you'd be looking forward to August 11.

“But that centre-back we need may not be in this country now.”

The Sunday Sun can reveal Allardyce is to be offered the chance to land Brazilian stopper Claudio Cacapa, a free agent since leaving Lyon, ahead of Greek giants Panathinaikos.

Sunday Sun

you lot have seen baines play i presume.

the lads very inconsistent and despite having a decent left foot is not a player thats going to set the top 6 alight....

i agree however that he is better than what we have. which is saying that we'll get found out down the left by any team with a bit of enterprise down the right!

Albert Luque has just said he will play left back in an interview on Newcastle World. Don't think he actually knew what he was saying though.

Claudio Cacapa is a decent defender would defiantly be worth going for.
Signed for Panathanaikos.

Also I don't see how Baines is too short - he's a full-back. Most full-backs are short.

Allardyce studied film of our games last season. He found that many of the goal we conceded were due to the full-back being over-matched physically. His solution is to bring in big, tall fullbacks, who defend first and get forward only when safe to do so.

Also I don't see how Baines is too short - he's a full-back. Most full-backs are short.

Allardyce studied film of our games last season. He found that many of the goal we conceded were due to the full-back being over-matched physically. His solution is to bring in big, tall fullbacks, who defend first and get forward only when safe to do so.

Did we actually have any proper fullback playing last season?

We had a lot of people playing in roles that weren't really their own, but that's a bit different.

Then Huntington seems like the logical choice at the moment.

Is Bridge definitely off the radar?

I'd think so, I can't see us making a move for him while he's injured.

What's wrong with Babyaro at the minute? Is he injured or is Sam just showing him that there's no way he's going to be near the team next season?

Depends if you count Babayaro and Carr as proper fullbacks I suppose! :lol:

Hehe well no, not really counted I think. :nufc:

But even Carr played a lot at LB (when not injured) which even if he was any good would be difficult for him.

Did Babayaro play more than 2 games last season?

Toon bid for Senegal star

Jul 30 2007

by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE United want 22-year-old Paris St Germain defender Boukary Drame – who is regarded as one of the best young defenders in France.

But Sam Allardyce faces a fight with both Sochaux and Nice for the Senegalese international.

United have got as far as inviting Drame across to St James’ Park this week, but this has alerted Sochaux, their one-time European opponents, and it is now touch-and-go whether he will come.

If he doesn’t, it will be a blow to Big Sam. Drame is so good that France have tried to get him registered to play for them, but they have been turned down by FIFA because he has played three games for Senegal.

Drame (pictured) is a big pal of United’s new boy David Rozehnal who, of course, has just arrived at St James’ Park from Paris St Germain.

And it would be a big advantage to United to have two players who know each other’s game in their back four.

With Celestine Babayaro having been to Germany for treatment to his hamstring injury, United are likely to go into the new season without a recognised left-back if they do not get Drame.

Allardyce is doing all he can to rectify this, but I believe his next signing will be an experienced central defender who will not be costing the club a fee.

The new season starts in 12 days’ time, and the position Big Sam has found himself as far as defenders are concerned, through no fault of his own, is not a good one.

To the United manager’s credit, he has got Albert Luque playing again and Charles N’Zogbia’s performance in yesterday’s 2-0 victory over Juventus was his best for 15 months.

But it was in his favoured position in the centre of midfield, and it has to be said that whenever he has filled in at left-back N’Zogbia has looked as though he is reluctant to do so.

Young Paul Huntington has given his all at left-back, but this is not his position, yet at the moment he is looking favourite to fill this problem role at the Reebok Stadium a week on Saturday.

Drame has been keen to play in England, and his agent Said Rubie said: “Boukary did very well at PSG last year, but wants to test himself at the highest level possible and believes the Premier League is the place to be.

“He has fantastic potential and his game is ideally suited to the demands of the Premier League.”

Even if United manage to fight off Sochaux and Nice for Drame, time is against them getting him into their plans for the trip to Bolton.

Edited by Fat Boy

Baba KO woe for Big Sam

Jul 31 2007

by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Celestine Babayaro

CELESTINE BABAYARO has suffered another setback ahead of the season’s opener at Bolton after Sam Allardyce admitted he is unlikely to be ready for the new campaign on August 11.

Big Sam is also struggling to get Turkish ace Emre back out in time for the big kick-off with the player still out with an ankle problem.

But it is Nigerian international Babayaro, who has been dogged with groin problems, who has it all to prove this season to United fans after his stock dipped last term after he was barely available for selection.

Asked if he expects Emre and Babayaro to be in his squad to face his old club, Allardyce told the Chronicle: “No. I think they might be fit, but I wouldn’t think they’ll be physically and mentally ready for the start of the Premiership.

“Hopefully, they’re free from their injuries and then we can introduce them slowly from then on.

“Babayaro’s back and starting rehabilitation.

“He’s working with the physiotherapists after seven or so days in Germany.

“Hopefully we’ll see some quick improvement in their fitness.”

Like the rest of the United squad, Babayaro was handed a clean slate when Allardyce took over back in May but, despite some indications he is ready to give it one last crack at Newcastle, the player keeps breaking down in training.

He added: “Baba trains well, but all of a sudden he gets another little tweak.

“It might be something in his make-up as to how the muscle reacts to fatigue. If we can cure that, we might cure his problems.

“I don’t think he’s ever had someone look at it like that before.”

For Allardyce, the Babayaro situation simply sums up the depressing injury crisis at the club he is so keen to get rid of.

Last season’s injury problems were well-documented by Glenn Roeder and the same issues dogged Graeme Souness.

Now, before a ball has even been kicked in the new season, United lead the infamous Premier League table for injuries on the website physioroom.com, with NINE players on the board, headed by Babayaro, who has no set return date.

Allardyce continued: “We’ve had problems this pre-season where he’s never been able to maintain more than three or four days training on the trot.”

“If not a groin, it’s a hamstring then a thigh and a calf.”

Babayaro, who has two years left on his contract, has made 66 starts and two substitute appearances for Newcastle since his move from Stamford Bridge in January 2005.

Last season he was unavailable for more than half of Newcastle’s games because of injury.

here