Newcastle’s £6m offer for Smith holds the key to Dyer departure

Jimbo

The other possibility is that we haven't even been interested in some of the players we're getting linked with. Allardyce has admitted to missing out on some targets, but this left back yesterday - one minute we're linked, the next he's signed for someone else. Did we actually have any sort of firm interest in the bloke?

I'd say we're not interested in at least 50% of the players we've been linked with, especially given that the leaks at SJP have stopped. But Allardyce isn't stupid and has spoken repeatedly about wanting to get players in and missing out on targets, I just fail to believe that we're missing out on all of them because we're an unattractive prospect.

So how does that neccessarily mean there are no funds? It could just as easily mean we approach a club, agree a fee and the player decides against the move. The delegation the club sent to Barcelona doesn't suggest we aren't willing to spend.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Alex, I think Smith would be a handy addition to the squad. I don't think he'll play every game or anything but he'll do a job when he does, and more importantly it's about time we had subs of that sort of quality sat on the bench. How long is it since we had a bench that wasn't just packed with last resorts? I mean fucking hell, who used to look at Sibierski standing on the touchline and think "Get in, he'll turn the game around."? I'll be a lot more confident in Smith making a difference to a game, that's for sure.

I remember when we played Man U in 94 and Keegan mentioned that they had Keane on the bench and that was a measure of how good they were compared to us. Not saying Smith is as good as Keane but Gemmill is spot on here.

I also think its daft to talk about "first 11s" and guaranteed bench-warmers. Given the 4/5 strikers we have and assuming they stay fit, there'll be a fair bit of rotation there and I don't see why that shouldn't apply to midfield.

The other possibility is that we haven't even been interested in some of the players we're getting linked with. Allardyce has admitted to missing out on some targets, but this left back yesterday - one minute we're linked, the next he's signed for someone else. Did we actually have any sort of firm interest in the bloke?

I'd say we're not interested in at least 50% of the players we've been linked with, especially given that the leaks at SJP have stopped. But Allardyce isn't stupid and has spoken repeatedly about wanting to get players in and missing out on targets, I just fail to believe that we're missing out on all of them because we're an unattractive prospect.

So how does that neccessarily mean there are no funds? It could just as easily mean we approach a club, agree a fee and the player decides against the move. The delegation the club sent to Barcelona doesn't suggest we aren't willing to spend.

The delegation sent to Barca were there to sign Edmilson on a free / low fee as far as I'm aware.

I don't think either of us really know what's going on at the minute so it's all really conjecture and speculation.

The delegation sent to Barca were there to sign Edmilson on a free / low fee as far as I'm aware.

I don't think either of us really know what's going on at the minute so it's all really conjecture and speculation.

Deco and Gudjohnssen were both also mentioned at the time. The latter even came out (via his father iirc) and said he was flattered by the club's interest.

2 totally different players providing different options. Ive never been a fan of Dyer the man,

Dyer ain't a man, his mental age has never exceed 8 years old IMO.

Dyer hate campaign

Jul 31 2007

by Luke Edwards, The Journal

NEWCASTLE United have rejected a £5m offer from West Ham for Kieron Dyer, but he seems unhappier than ever at St James’s Park after his car and home came under attack from disgruntled fans.

Dyer was booed by sections of Newcastle’s crowd during the 2-0 victory over Juventus despite the fact his performance was praised by manager Sam Allardyce – who is believed to have had a £6m offer for Manchester United’s Alan Smith accepted last night.

But worse was to follow for the England international when he left the ground, as fans screamed abuse and then surrounded his car, banging on the windows, as he tried to drive away from the stadium. The Journal also understands that Dyer’s home near Ponteland has had eggs thrown at its windows since it emerged the 28-year-old is keen to leave the North-East so he can move closer to his young family in Ipswich.

The news of the campaign against Dyer has not been greeted well inside St James’s Park and there is concern that the actions of a few mindless yobs will hinder the club’s attempts to attract players in the future. Chairman Chris Mort said: “It’s well known there has been interest in Kieron from several clubs and that he might want to move on for family reasons. However, he remains an important part of the squad and is working hard for the team as he showed with his performance on Sunday.

“We have got to make all our current players and potential new signings see Newcastle as a great place to live and it would be disastrous for the club for this sort of behaviour to be repeated.”

Story continues Continue story

ADVERTISEMENT

Dyer was arguably Newcastle’s best player when he came on as a second-half substitute against Juventus and he has privately revealed a determination not to allow his critics to break his spirit. In fact, the abuse directed at him on Sunday appeared to motivate him, rather than dishearten, as he guided a young side through the final 45 minutes of the friendly.

However, the abuse would appear to make the possibility that the midfielder can be persuaded to stay at the club even more remote, despite the fact United and West Ham have seemingly reached deadlock in their negotiations.

The Hammers made a final bid last week, which is believed to include a further payment once Dyer has played 50 games for the east London club as well as another add-on if the Hammers qualify for Europe. That offer, though, was turned down by the Magpies and Allardyce revealed on Sunday that nobody had made a bid that is “anywhere near the sort of money” he is looking for.

Whether the bid for Smith suggests that has now changed remains to be seen. Although primarily a striker, the former Leeds player has been used as a midfielder at Old Trafford.

If Dyer’s move to West Ham does collapse it would leave Allardyce in a tricky situation as he will have an unhappy player in his squad who sections of the club’s supporters cannot wait to see leave. There is the chance Dyer could go out on loan, but Newcastle are unlikely to be happy with that option because his market value will fall as he only has two years left on his contract.

Allardyce will invest whatever money he receives for Dyer immediately in a replacement and it could be that Smith has been lined up for that purpose, although they face competition from Sunderland and Middlesbrough.

Allardyce held a meeting with Chris Mort yesterday to discuss what the club are going to do next in the transfer market as there have not been any new arrivals since Geremi signed on a free transfer last month. Newcastle desperately need to sign three more defenders before the close of the transfer window at the end of August, as well as a replacement for Dyer, and that will not be cheap. However, Allardyce has actually spent less than £3m since he became United manager as he also raised £7m from the sale of Scott Parker to West Ham.

He is interested in Paris Saint Germain’s Senegal international left-back Boukary Drame, but faces competition from Sochaux.

There will be support for the manager from fans who want to see money invested in new players after the initial excitement which greeted the removal of Freddie Shepherd begins to fade.

The thing with Dyer is he brings it ALL on himself.

And he get paid exceptionally well for doing it.

In fact over the years Dyer may well be our biggest waste of money every really, not in transfer fee, but in wages paid for what we've got back from him.

At the end of the last season he was "fine" here and then his playmate left, he realised he might be asked to play out of his "favoured" position and now he's coincidentally developed "family" problems.

You just never know where you are with the little arsehole, 1 second repeatedly saying how sorry he is and how he wants to prove his worth to the club, the next refusing to play in a position or trying to wangle a move.

Personally I'm 1/2 convinced we should re-sign Bowyer just so he can smack the little weasel again.

Dyer's biggest crime at this club is being a long term injury sufferer. Yeah he took the piss out of Robson a bit (Robson's fault btw), and he chucked the captain's armband on the deck, but the biggest problem people have with Dyer is that he earns big wages and he had injury problems. Which quite frankly is fucking ridiculous.

Dyer's biggest crime at this club is being a long term injury sufferer. Yeah he took the piss out of Robson a bit (Robson's fault btw), and he chucked the captain's armband on the deck, but the biggest problem people have with Dyer is that he earns big wages and he had injury problems. Which quite frankly is fucking ridiculous.

Ah, it's Robson's fault that Dyer showed him no respect is it? Of course.

Even when Dyer has been fit, he has massively underachieved imo. Couple this with his off-the-pitch activites and general attitude, then I'm not surprised he isn't winning any popularity competitions.

no-one think that Big Sams revolution has effectively ended Kierons frivolous lifestyle?

perhaps regulations and codes of practise off the pitch have encroached on Dyer's modus operandi too much and instead than hang about and have his fun curtailed, he'd rather move on?

no-one think that Big Sams revolution has effectively ended Kierons frivolous lifestyle?

perhaps regulations and codes of practise off the pitch have encroached on Dyer's modus operandi too much and instead than hang about and have his fun curtailed, he'd rather move on?

That had crossed my mind tbh.

Even when Dyer has been fit, he has massively underachieved imo. Couple this with his off-the-pitch activites and general attitude, then I'm not surprised he isn't winning any popularity competitions.

Agree with you there. How was it Robson's fault?

you're only agreeing with me because we've now met and buried the hatchet :lol:

you're only agreeing with me because we've now met and buried the hatchet :lol:

Don't worry, it still felt wrong agreeing with you. I shall try my best to disagree still, with the mindless insults possibly. :nufc:

One players underachievement is a level others still cant get to though. James Milner will try til his dying breath and get nowhere near Dyers underachieving level. Its all relative. If Milner plays the way Dyer did from 2001-2004 with the same impact I will be very happy. Cant see him getting there though, or anywhere near it. If we can get better with similar athletic ability and a better attitude then fair enough, let Dyer have it when he is gone.

Gemmill is right to some extent about Robson. He let that lot get away with far too much. Bellamy was peddled as soon as he raised his golf club at Liverpool. They act like a big club. We kept the fucker here after he smacked the assistant with a chair and let him get away with further misdemeanours. Similar for Dyer.

The level of brainless nonsense relating to (any) players wages is just a bit sad. Dyer didnt award himself that did he? So many want to use it as a stick to beat him with though. It's those people I worry about rather than the player himself.

One players underachievement is a level others still cant get to though. James Milner will try til his dying breath and get nowhere near Dyers underachieving level. Its all relative. If Milner plays the way Dyer did from 2001-2004 with the same impact I will be very happy. Cant see him getting there though, or anywhere near it. If we can get better with similar athletic ability and a better attitude then fair enough, let Dyer have it when he is gone.

Gemmill is right to some extent about Robson. He let that lot get away with far too much. Bellamy was peddled as soon as he raised his golf club at Liverpool. They act like a big club. We kept the fucker here after he smacked the assistant with a chair and let him get away with further misdemeanours. Similar for Dyer.

The level of brainless nonsense relating to (any) players wages is just a bit sad. Dyer didnt award himself that did he? So many want to use it as a stick to beat him with though. It's those people I worry about rather than the player himself.

Milner last year played better than Dyer has even done for this club in my opinion. Didn't he also play something like 60 games? remarkable really considering the circumstances in which he started last season, trying to be flogged to Villa.

Edited by bassplayerjj

Correct me if I'm wrong: Bobby Robson was the manager and it was therefore his job to manage these players. He had a soft spot for Dyer because of the Ipswich connection, and he was allowed to get away with murder to the point where their relationship got damaged by it. Yeah, Dyer took the piss, but he should never have been allowed to. Do you think that would have happened at Manchester United under Alex Ferguson? A player photographed giving the v's behind the manager's back? Not a fucking chance.

Dyer's no angel, but Robson let that one get out of control and should take his share of the responsibility. Outside of that, Dyer pissed in the street once and suffered terribly with injuries. Oh and he got an improved contract which was apparently all his fault too. That's about it really.

Milner last year played better than Dyer has even done for this club in my opinion. Didn't he also play something like 60 games? remarkable really considering the circumstances in which he started last season, trying to be flogged to Villa.

:lol:

Correct me if I'm wrong: Bobby Robson was the manager and it was therefore his job to manage these players. He had a soft spot for Dyer because of the Ipswich connection, and he was allowed to get away with murder to the point where their relationship got damaged by it. Yeah, Dyer took the piss, but he should never have been allowed to. Do you think that would have happened at Manchester United under Alex Ferguson? A player photographed giving the v's behind the manager's back? Not a fucking chance.

Dyer's no angel, but Robson let that one get out of control and should take his share of the responsibility. Outside of that, Dyer pissed in the street once and suffered terribly with injuries. Oh and he got an improved contract which was apparently all his fault too. That's about it really.

Spot on. Ditto for Bellamy who may well still be here if he hadnt been allowed to become the egocentric bellend he became.