Newcastle’s £6m offer for Smith holds the key to Dyer departure

Jimbo

Has anyone at the club suggested that signing Smith would be at the expense of a LB?? Or are we jumping to massive conclusions again? :lol:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where's the fucking left back eh? Embarassing.

:lol: Aye, your post is.

Newcastle sign Alan Smith instead of left back. Allardyce gushes "Who needs a left back? We've got Smithy!"

Or not, eh? :nufc:

To be fair, we were all on Roeder's case for signing midfielders when we needed defenders....

Newcastle sign Alan Smith instead of left back. Allardyce gushes "Who needs a left back? We've got Smithy!"

Way to be a dick. Again.

it is fucking embarassing that we can attract an English International striker, but can't get a decent international left back.

if this comes off hes clearly a 'strength in depth' signing for our forwards and midfield.

As has been mentioned above we need a first team left back - baines seems like the obvious signing but maybe sam is looking further afield.

To be fair, we were all on Roeder's case for signing midfielders when we needed defenders....

Yeah because Roeder was a retard and it was horribly apparent that he wasn't even looking at defenders, as he was too busy tracking some daft blond dutch shite around Europe. A last ditch attempt to sign Zat Knight (I mean, can you IMAGINE if he'd pulled that off. We'd have yet more deadwood to sort out), trying to sign Huth as he sat down for his press conference at Boro, and the post transfer window signing of Olivier Bernard were the sum total of Roeder's efforts to bring in defenders.

Or not, eh? :razz:

Way to be a dick. Again.

it is fucking embarassing that we can attract an English International striker, but can't get a decent international left back.

How the fuck is that embarrassing man? :nufc: Decent left backs are few and far between, we're not in Europe, and we're not actually that good. Is it Smith you're referring to as England International btw? If so, do you not think that's maybe pushing things a bit?

Oh and since we're chucking around insults, you're a thick little cocknose. :huff:

:lol: always makes me laugh when people scream about us signing x kind of player when we need y. FACT is the manager will identify several signing he wants. Lets say a CH, LB and AM/F. Now, lets say they are all wee balls thrown up in the air. Does it matter which one lands first? Plus consider that he may need to get new balls to replace ones he lost. It doesnt matter what order they fall so long as they do land before the window closes. You wouldnt want him to miss say the AM/F landing just because he was only waiting for the LB to land.

:nufc: something like that anyway.

Have to agree though, we are not exactly the best prospect these days for players and its going to be a struggle to attract until we turn things around.

Yeah because Roeder was a retard and it was horribly apparent that he wasn't even looking at defenders, as he was too busy tracking some daft blond dutch shite around Europe. A last ditch attempt to sign Zat Knight (I mean, can you IMAGINE if he'd pulled that off. We'd have yet more deadwood to sort out), trying to sign Huth as he sat down for his press conference at Boro, and the post transfer window signing of Olivier Bernard were the sum total of Roeder's efforts to bring in defenders.

I don't believe for a second that Roeder WASN'T looking for defenders, but Owen was injured, Ameobi wasn't fully fit and Shearer had retired...a striker was the bigger priority IMO. Roeder clearly isn't cut out to manage a big club, but we don't know how much of it was Shepherd's fault and how much was Roeder's fault.

:icon_lol: Aye, your post is.

I don't believe for a second that Roeder WASN'T looking for defenders, but Owen was injured, Ameobi wasn't fully fit and Shearer had retired...a striker was the bigger priority IMO. Roeder clearly isn't cut out to manage a big club, but we don't know how much of it was Shepherd's fault and how much was Roeder's fault.

Bigger priority than a left winger though? :icon_lol:

Smith not a target as Sam eyes defenders

Aug 1 2007

by Luke Edwards, The Journal

SAM Allardyce is confident Newcastle United are close to making a significant breakthrough in the transfer market as he closed in on two of his defensive targets last night.

However, The Journal understands that Manchester United striker Alan Smith will not be one of the new arrivals, despite claims earlier this week that Newcastle have had a £6m bid for the England international accepted by the Red Devils.

Allardyce is more concerned with filling the gaps in his back line before the start of the season against his former club Bolton Wanderers on August 11, although the United boss admitted he will continue his chase until the last day of the transfer window if he has to.

“We’re linked with a lot of players and I’d prefer to be linked with players coming in, not going out, but 99% of it is wrong,” said Allardyce, who has vehemently denied he is willing to sell Obafemi Martins to raise funds for his defensive reinforcements. “My main focus is bringing players in, we haven’t managed to bring one in for a while but I’m very confident we will in the near future, we hope we will be picking up one or two players.

“It’s nice to get them as early as you can but, at the end of the day, as long as you get them in, that’s the most important thing. We are continuing that pursuit and from the top of this club down to me we are going out all guns blazing. It’s a difficult market to work in, but we are doing our best. There is no sense panicking and trying to sign players for the sake of it.”

And Allardyce was keen to put the emphasis on his search for defenders, despite the suggestion that Smith was due on Tyneside to discuss personal terms today.

He added: “The defence is the area we are looking to strengthen. The players who have come in for the last couple of friendly games have done very well, but we lack experience because of the amount of players I released when I first got here.

“Defenders around Europe are difficult to find and a lot of players have already been snapped up. There is a limited market in every position, but in that position there is a limit to those with the quality to play in the Premiership.”

One player who is still expected to be allowed to leave St James’s Park is Kieron Dyer, despite the fact the Magpies are still haggling with West Ham over the size of his transfer fee. The Journal revealed on Tuesday that West Ham have had a £5m bid turned down, even though the England star has been a target for abuse from fans over the weekend with both his car and home attacked by disgruntled supporters.

Allardyce, though, will not allow that regrettable situation to enable West Ham to sign the midfielder for less than his proper market value. He said: “The bid for Kieron is too low in today’s prices. In today’s market, he is a top Premiership player, 28 years old with plenty of experience who is a current England international.

“The best way to resolve it is if someone makes an acceptable offer and he leaves the club. But if we don’t get an offer that is right, we will try to resolve it through some other route if he doesn’t leave Newcastle.”

My main focus is bringing players in ... I’m very confident we will in the near future

Journal

:icon_lol: always makes me laugh when people scream about us signing x kind of player when we need y. FACT is the manager will identify several signing he wants. Lets say a CH, LB and AM/F. Now, lets say they are all wee balls thrown up in the air. Does it matter which one lands first? Plus consider that he may need to get new balls to replace ones he lost. It doesnt matter what order they fall so long as they do land before the window closes. You wouldnt want him to miss say the AM/F landing just because he was only waiting for the LB to land.

:razz::icon_lol:;)

Bigger priority than a left winger though? :razz:

:icon_lol:

Fair point...but we were all pretty chuffed when Duff signed. ;) I keep forgetting we have him to be honest, if Sam can get him fit it'll be a big plus for us.

Edited by Asprilla's foreskin

Bigger priority than a left winger though? :razz:

:icon_lol:

Fair point...but we were all pretty chuffed when Duff signed. ;) I keep forgetting we have him to be honest, if Sam can get him fit it'll be a big plus for us.

Maybe he can even convert him to defence :icon_lol:

Smith bid hinges on Dyer

Aug 1 2007

by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

Alan Smith

NEWCASTLE will go for England international Alan Smith – once they sell Kieron Dyer to West Ham United.

And all that is stopping Dyer’s move to Upton Park is the fact that Sam Allardyce wants to squeeze more than £4m out of the seemingly bottomless pit of money at Upton Park.

Talks between United and the Hammers were ongoing today, with Craig Bellamy apparently pushing his boss Alan Curbishley to finalise the deal for his former Toon pal.

Dyer would have preferred to have joined his big mate Jermaine Jenas at Spurs, but after a deal involving Didier Zokora fell through, White Hart Lane boss Martin Jol has now lost interest.

And with Sven-Goran Eriksson not following up his initial inquiry at Manchester City for a player he rated so highly in his England days, it’s West Ham or bust for Dyer.

Dyer will have no problems agreeing personal terms with West Ham, who are likely to match the near-£65,000 a week wages he picks up at St James’ Park.

United are one of half-a-dozen clubs who are eyeing the 27-year-old Smith, who has been rather brutally told that he has no future at Manchester United.

The 17-times capped England international does not have to hurry into a decision and the hold-up with the Dyer move to West Ham will probably suit him.

But Smith knows that his former Leeds United colleagues James Milner and Mark Viduka are at St James’ Park and this could play a part in his decision.

Smith is more likely to fancy United than Middlesbrough, even though another of his former Leeds pals Jonathan Woodgate is the defensive king-pin at the Riverside Stadium.

Meanwhile, the Chronicle’s report that Oba Martins may have to be sacrificed to fund moves for a couple of defenders was described as “speculation” by United last night.

But despite that, the word in the game is that Martins could still be prised away from St James’ if anyone comes up with the £10m Glenn Roeder paid for the little Nigerian.

Portsmouth’s Harry Redknapp wanted Martins 12 months ago and he is toying with the idea of trying to succeed where he failed last summer.

The transfer deadline is now a month away and Sam Allardyce is expected to be involved both as a buyer and seller, and I expect a new central defender to be in before the end of the week.

Big Sam has also to decide whether to sign Brazilian centre-half Edmilson before the window closes so that he can play again when he is fit again in October or November.

The alternative is to wait until the January window, but Allardyce knows that he would then face competition from the likes of Champions League holders AC Milan for the Barcelona defender.

As far as players going out is concerned, all the talk in London is that Fulham boss Lawrie Sanchez wants Charles N’Zogbia, but United are looking a bit thin in midfield at the moment with Damien Duff, Nicky Butt, Joey Barton and Emre all injured and Dyer on his way out.

Olly

Meanwhile, the Chronicle’s report that Oba Martins may have to be sacrificed to fund moves for a couple of defenders was described as “speculation” by United last night.

Uh no it wasn't, it was described as "a complete and utter fabrication" you complete cock end.

Basically that story is just a copy of what appeared in The Times yesterday, it'll be interesting to see if Oliver remains in his job now that he has nothing to worth writing about, his links with the club are the only reason I could see for keeping him and now that they're gone what exactly can he offer?

Edited by ewerk

Uh no it wasn't, it was described as "a complete and utter fabrication" you complete cock end.

Basically that story is just a copy of what appeared in The Times yesterday, it'll be interesting to see if Oliver remains in his job now that he has nothing to worth writing about, his links with the club are the only reason I could see for keeping him and now that they're gone what exactly can he offer?

Jesus, Oliver is such a cnut! Big Sam has called him on his complete bullshit publically and he still can't admit it!

And then to finish off with he says we'll accept £10m for Martins, the get out clause is £13m you fuckwitt!!!