Alan Smith signs 5 year deal

2bias

Someone on another forum made a great point about why Sam may want to Smith. Barton, Geremi, Butt and now Smith make up a centre-midfield of grafty players who are willing to get stuck in. This is similar to at Bolton, where he had Speed, Faye, Campo and Nolan. We can then use players like Zog and Martins to provide pace and flair. It probably won't be beautiful, but it'll be effective I reckon.

Edited by TheInspiration

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

City are gonna have a complete new team at this rate. Whats the chances of them struggling again?

City and West Ham, it's going to be interesting to see what position their spending buys them this season.

Higher than us tbh

City are gonna have a complete new team at this rate. Whats the chances of them struggling again?

City and West Ham, it's going to be interesting to see what position their spending buys them this season.

Higher than us tbh

Yeah with out a few (can you call 4+ a few?) more signings that's what worries me.

Disgraceful signing, disgusting.

What have you got against him to warrant that sort of reaction?

Nothing other than an allergic reaction to mediocrity that's had me sneezing since Sir Bobby left. It's just poor business in my opinion if the 6 mill figure is correct. Where will he play? I'd have Owen, Viduka, Martins, Ameobi before him, and most of the midfield ahead of him. 6m for a squad player with a knackered leg and a shite haircut =/ Where's the unheard of cheap foreigner Sam like that Teymourian, he looked proper handy towards the end of last season.

Edited by bassplayerjj

Guest James_coDurham

Nothing other than an allergic reaction to mediocrity that's had me sneezing since Sir Bobby left

:icon_lol:

Im happy with it. Adding quality to the squad can only be a good thing. Are there better players around? sure. Are there better players available to come to a team not in Europe? I think we'd be hard pushed. Another thing he gives us is options. Im happy that we are starting to build a squad. Not just a first 11. Someone said before about our bench being worthless usually, so again this and some of the other developments will go towards improving this.

Nothing other than an allergic reaction to mediocrity that's had me sneezing since Sir Bobby left. It's just poor business in my opinion if the 6 mill figure is correct. Where will he play? I'd have Owen, Viduka, Martins, Ameobi before him, and most of the midfield ahead of him. 6m for a squad player with a knackered leg and a shite haircut =/ Where's the unheard of cheap foreigner Sam like that Teymourian, he looked proper handy towards the end of last season.

Aye you've got a point there like...... :icon_lol:

What do you suggest? We send him down the barbers first?? :icon_lol:

Can't say I'm overly thrilled by this, especially if the £6mil figure being bandied about is correct. But clean slate and all that, I'll judge him on his performances for us, not his past performances for ManU.

Ameobi ahead of Smith? What?

:icon_lol: If there's one good thing to come out of this, it's Shola's suddenly enhanced reputation. He'll be loving it.

Fickle attitude of some Newcastle fans is unreal...

2/3 months ago Shola was shiter than shite! Now suddenly he's considerably better than Alan Smith?? :icon_lol:

:icon_lol: If there's one good thing to come out of this, it's Shola's suddenly enhanced reputation. He'll be loving it.

2/3 months ago Shola was shiter than shite! Now suddenly he's considerably better than Alan Smith?? :icon_lol:

not at all in my book, Under Roeder he scored pretty much 1 in 2 after christmas 06 and this got us into Europe for last season. He did that with a fucked hip and then carried it on last season until he could barely walk and had the operation. When he puts himself about and is in the mood he is terrible for defenders to deal with and a very useful player for us. When Smith puts himself about he gets yellow cards and a broken fooking leg. If I see Smith in the black and white I will cheer and support the c***; but I would have prefered us spending that money on the defence or even someone like Giles Barnes who has an exciting future (from what I've seen of him last season in the championship) and provide that injection of pace that we have lost with Dyer....

Edited by bassplayerjj

tbh i don't rate smith much more than i do shola. in fact this signing has excited me about as much as if we were to sign shola from another club.

they're both fine as a 3rd or 4th choice forward but we've already got shola to fill the role of squad striker that will do a job in a handful of games in a season. do we need to spend £6m on another?

that said, smith isn't a bad signing as long as we bring in players for the other areas that are in more urgent need of attention. i don't see him as a replacement for dyer though. smith will provide competition for places up front and cover in midfield but i think we could still do with at least 3 defenders and a couple of midfielders.

not at all in my book, Under Roeder he scored pretty much 1 in 2 after christmas 06 and this got us into Europe for last season. He did that with a fucked hip and then carried it on last season until he could barely walk and had the operation. When he puts himself about and is in the mood he is terrible for defenders to deal with and a very useful player for us. When Smith puts himself about he gets yellow cards and a broken fooking leg. If I see Smith in the black and white I will cheer and support the c***; but I would have prefered us spending that money on the defence or even someone like Giles Barnes who has an exciting future (from what I've seen of him last season in the championship) and provide that injection of pace that we have lost with Dyer....

No, he's only terrible for me to watch as he tries to chase a man down and stupidly tugs on an opposition players shirt, giving away YET ANOTHER free-kick tbh

Edited by Sima