José Enrique

Baggio

Wonder how recent events will effect his game on Saturday?

Will the boo boys be after him?

It shouldnt effect him tbh he is a through professional. Hope they dont boo him. he doesnt deserve to be booed

"Affect". Don't let CT's spelling lead you astray, Paul. He is throughly illiterate. :lol:

In case anyone's interested, Enrique didnt even say "I'm ok at Newcastle but I aspire to more". Complete lie or mistranslation.

The original interview translated to English is here: (once read, the statement from club was actually spot on)

Load of bollocks and out of context shite from The Sun and Mail.

He did not say those exact words - that phrase is from Marca's summary of the interview - but he absolutely did say (or absolutely was quoted in Marca as saying), "I'm happy here at Newcastle but I'm not ruling anything out." Also, the translated interview you have on your website is a poor mechanical translation.

The Sun certainly did take his statements out of context and even mistranslated one of them completely, but just going on what he told Marca, I think he wants to be away.

I agree. He is happy for now but deep down he does want away like. We'd probably get about 12mil for him which is a good price when he only has 16months to go on his contract. Fits Ashleys model.

Even with the 12mil i dont think we could get an equally good left back for that.

It really is starting to strike home now like, players are starting to get a bit fucked off with Ashley, all their hard work just to be undone by the fat man. If FMA actually showed some ambition then these players would want to stay and continue to push towards europe with us.

I dont have a problem with them wanting to leave, its understandable....and frustrating.

Come this summer we will know once and for all what FMA's true intentions are.

35mil+ spent and no major players sold = He genuinly wants to acheive success here.

Less than 35mil spent and major departures = Clawing money back and clearly banking on a buyer emerging.

I have nothing else to say. The flak that has been dished out to those who saw all of this ages ago. And still is in some quarters.

Dyer went to West Ham and Bellers Blackburn, both in their supposed prime years, so that post is pretty wank all round mate

What utter rubbish.

By the time Dyer went his stocks had fallen so low that we were all amazed that Wet Ham were willing to take him off the wage bill, let alone pay that much for him.

Year Zero is referring to when Dyer was an influential part of a team that finished top five four years* in a row under SBR - surely you remember this?

As for Bellars being sold - well we all know the reasons there so using him as an example is just wank.

*correction: it was three years in a row wasn't it?

facts and truth are strangers to Skidmarks, that is also very obvious by now.

If he says he's not for sale he's a liar and a puppet if he goes. If he admits it'll be tough keeping him he's asking for bids

ah. There was a time when we said someone wasn't for sale and they weren't. In fact, nobody bothered trying to buy our best players because they knew they wouldn't be sold.

Or because they were under-performing mercenaries?

under performing = qualifying for the Champions League and europe more than anybody bar 4 other clubs in 15 years ? :lol: yeah right ! Cretin.

If he says he's not for sale he's a liar and a puppet if he goes. If he admits it'll be tough keeping him he's asking for bids

ah. There was a time when we said someone wasn't for sale and they weren't. In fact, nobody bothered trying to buy our best players because they knew they wouldn't be sold.

under performing = qualifying for the Champions League and europe more than anybody bar 4 other clubs in 15 years ? :lol: yeah right ! Cretin.

Under performing means under performing. When you begin to consistently 'underperform' as we did over several seasons, averaging performances up over a 15 year period instead to give a different picture sadly doesn't accrue you any points for the season at hand or amount to a strategy for the future. Which is your cue to shut the fuck up, btw. :lol:

must be nice living in a make believe little world like you do :lol:

Best players not for sale? Woodgate was our best defender and he was sold, so was Bellamy and Andy Cole wasnt too shabby either. Every player is for sale if the price is right. You think Man U wanted Ronaldo to go? If a player gets a whiff of more money and a better lifestyle or to play in the champions league then their head is turned and when a club makes a top offer then its bye-bye regardless who the manager/chairman is. The measure of the club is who replaces the sold player so we need to wait and see who comes in the summer.

oh fucking hell. Do bugger off man. Footballers are always leaving clubs, everywhere, but the top clubs replace the odd quality player they lose with another of the same calibre in the managers opinion and allow him to continue to attempt to improve the team with the cash from the sales. This is kids stuff. How much longer does this need to be explained ? How many idiots are there in this world ?

Thats what I said, It depends who the replacements are although in your book if we dont get Ronaldo,Tevez and Xavi then we are not ambitious enough. The reality is we are where we are at the moment and if we get players like Tiote or Jose who may have the ambition to play in the champions league or challenge for the title then thats the reality. Football has changed and we have no chance of top 4 even if we spend a fortune. We should aim for a top 6/7 spot and win a cup and play some European football in the Europa league. As long as those that leave are replaced with players who have something to offer and not just shite or so called big names then so be it. Or are you so deluded you think we should be spending 30mil on a player and 100k pw on wages??

really really hope he stays with us. The Club are moving forward . He is a quality Left back. The best one we have had at the club for years. Be gutted if he left

:lol:

Incontrovertibly. Last season we were in the championship, at the start of the season survival seemed the most we could hope for, by mid-season survival looks guaranteed. If we win on saturday, we will be looking to finish top half. That appears to be progress, whichever way you look at it. If you take 1996 as your starting point, then we have gone backwards. If you take relegation as the starting point, we've moved forward.

You like facts, those are the barest of facts regarding the direction of the club. Of course, Carroll's sale is a clear step backwards but only if he goes on to fulfill his potential. If he doesnt, selling him wasnt a step backwards, it was a fucking good bit of business. Anyway, 10 steps forward and 1 step backwards is still 9 steps forward :lol:

People have used the Carroll sale to come up with pretty far reaching conclusions about the future of the club, which is fair enough, it did wipe out the positivity from all the other things that were going right. However, if one player transaction defines a club then presumably everyone will change their mind if Enrique signs a new deal when we are mathematically safe? Would be interested in responses to this last part, as its clearly the one of the biggest uncertainties for the fans at the minute.

the idea that the news that anyone has signed on for X years at a PL club means anything is laughable

In the example of Evra, while it doesn't guarantee he'll stay put it, it totally changes both his and his club's position in relation to a potential move this summer as well as having a significant impact on the ability of other clubs to come in for him (it effectively prices the vast majority of clubs out of a transfer).

Or to put it another way, Enrique signing or not signing a contract this summer will have huge repercussions in regard to his staying or going and the timing of any potential future move.

I'm not sure how you could argue otherwise tbh.

Edited by alex

really really hope he stays with us. The Club are moving forward . He is a quality Left back. The best one we have had at the club for years. Be gutted if he left

Incontrovertibly. Last season we were in the championship, at the start of the season survival seemed the most we could hope for, by mid-season survival looks guaranteed. If we win on saturday, we will be looking to finish top half. That appears to be progress, whichever way you look at it. If you take 1996 as your starting point, then we have gone backwards. If you take relegation as the starting point, we've moved forward.

You like facts, those are the barest of facts regarding the direction of the club. Of course, Carroll's sale is a clear step backwards but only if he goes on to fulfill his potential. If he doesnt, selling him wasnt a step backwards, it was a fucking good bit of business. Anyway, 10 steps forward and 1 step backwards is still 9 steps forward :lol:

People have used the Carroll sale to come up with pretty far reaching conclusions about the future of the club, which is fair enough, it did wipe out the positivity from all the other things that were going right. However, if one player transaction defines a club then presumably everyone will change their mind if Enrique signs a new deal when we are mathematically safe? Would be interested in responses to this last part, as its clearly the one of the biggest uncertainties for the fans at the minute.

Agree with this. Whatever the outcome of Carrolls future that was more than anyone would have dreamed of getting for him. The money needs to be invested wisely, no doubt about that, Carlton Cole for 10m isnt but I guess we just need to wait and see who comes in before passing judgment

Absolutely spot on.

Also, and it pains me to say this because I've consistently (passionately) refuted this about our support down the years when the media/other fans have trotted it out, but a lot of the criticism that's flying around these days is to do with deluded/unrealistic expectations of the season. Getting back to brass tacks, this season was about survival and at best, meaningful consolidation. Because we've already *touch wood* met these (specific) ambitions, lots of people are now impatiently looking to the next step and harping on because we're not already pushing for Europe/making Champions League signings. It's basically just delusional.

I've said it before, to want that is perfectly fine and valid and we all want it. But to get there is going to take massive investment beyond the natural resources of NUFC. That is dictated by outside forces (ie investors in other clubs/clubs being bigger than us). Again if thats what it takes, we probably all still want that (though there will be divergence over the extent and degree), but we have to acknowledge that for what it is. A selfish wish just like every other fan of every other club harbours There's absolutely no credibility to the people saying we should be doing that/should be doing that already, merely because we're NUFC and get 50k gates and have been the 5th best club in the country over 20 years as though that rendered all other argument void. That's basically just an attempt to dress up divine right as established science I'm afraid and it's a load of old cock.

Best players not for sale? Woodgate was our best defender and he was sold, so was Bellamy and Andy Cole wasnt too shabby either. Every player is for sale if the price is right. You think Man U wanted Ronaldo to go? If a player gets a whiff of more money and a better lifestyle or to play in the champions league then their head is turned and when a club makes a top offer then its bye-bye regardless who the manager/chairman is. The measure of the club is who replaces the sold player so we need to wait and see who comes in the summer.

oh fucking hell. Do bugger off man. Footballers are always leaving clubs, everywhere, but the top clubs replace the odd quality player they lose with another of the same calibre in the managers opinion and allow him to continue to attempt to improve the team with the cash from the sales. This is kids stuff. How much longer does this need to be explained ? How many idiots are there in this world ?

Thats what I said, It depends who the replacements are although in your book if we dont get Ronaldo,Tevez and Xavi then we are not ambitious enough. The reality is we are where we are at the moment and if we get players like Tiote or Jose who may have the ambition to play in the champions league or challenge for the title then thats the reality. Football has changed and we have no chance of top 4 even if we spend a fortune. We should aim for a top 6/7 spot and win a cup and play some European football in the Europa league. As long as those that leave are replaced with players who have something to offer and not just shite or so called big names then so be it. Or are you so deluded you think we should be spending 30mil on a player and 100k pw on wages??

your first line is bollocks. For starters, if we signed any one quality footballer, would Carroll have left, and would we be talking about the possibility of Enrique and Tiotte leaving ? My guess is both these players would be first in the queue to sign extended contracts.

Secondly, no person turned their noses up when we signed the likes of Shearer, Ferdinand, Ginola, Woodgate, Speed, Dyer etc etc bleating on about the club heading towards administration.

I agree that if the 35m quid is invested in footballers the manager decides will give us a better team than the one we had with Carroll in it, it should prompt a re-think about Mike Ashley and his ambitions for the club, but it won't.

While I accept the logic I simply can't understand why people are still willing to give Ashley the benefit of the doubt.

Its not as simple as that though, even if we try and simplify things there are still many distinct possibile interpretations of Ashley.

1, He wants to destroy us and asset strip the club

2, He wants to make a profit to recoup his losses and believes yo-yo'ing between the leagues is the best way.

3, He wants a mid-table premiership club that makes profit from selling players bought cheap and developed by the club

4, He wants slow steady progress over time and has decided not to invest large capital

There are more of course. None of those are inconsistent with him selling Carroll. Its not the benefit of the doubt, its just that nothing says incontrovertibly that one of them is true.

While I accept the logic I simply can't understand why people are still willing to give Ashley the benefit of the doubt.

Unless we get a billionaire sugar daddy like Chelsea and City then whoever comes in may well have to run the club in the same way or we could get a Ridsdale who would mortgage the club within an inch of oblivion with the hope of champions league. Would you want to take that gamble?? I know Ashley has been a cunt and his appointments of Wise and Dekka have been very poor but we could end up worse off than we are. We are pretty safe this season and playing quite well, we also have 35m to spend in the summer so its not all doom and gloom

1996 ? Relegation ?

If you take 2004, Arsenal have gone backwards by comparison. If you take 2009, Manu went backwards last season by comparison. This season, Chelsea won't win the premiership so does that also mean they have gone backwards ? I don't get the point of cherry picking a season to try and prove a point like this. Football is always about clubs having ups and downs.

What I see is a club that is not geared to success, or attempting to compete with the top clubs. A few results good or bad, or an odd season in the top half of the top flight, changes nothing. This football club is not geared to attempt to compete regularly in europe, and this is not going to change under this owner. If he does I will admit that I read him incorrectly, but I'm confident that what I have been saying since early on in his ownership continues to be absolutely correct. The sale of Carrol only re-inforces what I have always said. This money will not be re-invested, and what we do see will be invested on players or chancers with the eventual outcome and aim being survival or mid table comfort at best.

I find it increasingly perplexing that people are STILL giving this man the benefit of the doubt.

It sticks out a mile.

Edited by LeazesMag

He gets nee benefit of the doubt from me. Basically I think he has no emotional investment in the club whatever (and hence we can expect to suffer things (such as Hughton/Carroll) which hurt us as fans), but he's in absolyutely no doubt about his financial interest. He has and will continue to make x amount of progress simply on the basis of streamlining/a back to basics approach alone and it actually says a lot about the league and explodes a few myths about the Prem that you can make that sort of progress as opposed to just pissing money about. The next step up from that is where it'll need a sale because that'll require cash the club doesn't currently generate for itself (and probably could not even with increased tornawa). Like I say, he gets no benefit of the doubt from me, but at the same time I find the only way I can stay sane is to try as best I can to dissociate my emotional reactions at various decisions from what are (as he would no doubt claim) merely business management decisions devoid of sentiment.

I remain disgusted at the treatment of Hughton fwiw.

Unless we get a billionaire sugar daddy like Chelsea and City then whoever comes in may well have to run the club in the same way or we could get a Ridsdale who would mortgage the club within an inch of oblivion with the hope of champions league. Would you want to take that gamble?? I know Ashley has been a cunt and his appointments of Wise and Dekka have been very poor but we could end up worse off than we are. We are pretty safe this season and playing quite well, we also have 35m to spend in the summer so its not all doom and gloom

Or we could have someone in the middle, which Ashley is more than capable of being, given his wealth. I don't see why it has to be one extreme or the other. Ashley doesn't have to run the club the way he is. It's a personal choice on his part.

At the end of the day, Leeds are on their way back to the top league. They have only in effect been relegated and are now on the way back, but talk to a Leeds supporter and they will tell you about their run to the Champions League semi final and going to Barcelona, Rome, Milan etc etc [just like us in fact].

If you seriously, seriously prefer to spend years in total anonymity - like the mackems under Bob Murray and by fuck didn't we lord it over them and let them know about it - that is your choice. Not me though. You want success when you can, and go for it, thats what football is all about. The big clubs come back again, you want your team to try and win you trophies and play at the top.

The Ridsdale scaremongering is abolute bollocks. The nearest we came to administration was in 1991, after years of being run by clowns like Mike Ashley. Newcastle are twice the club Leeds are anyway.

Or we could have someone in the middle, which Ashley is more than capable of being, given his wealth. I don't see why it has to be one extreme or the other. Ashley doesn't have to run the club the way he is. It's a personal choice on his part.

exactly. Ambition is a choice, but sadly a lot of people had got used to seeing it and thought it would be automatic.

your first line is bollocks. For starters, if we signed any one quality footballer, would Carroll have left, and would we be talking about the possibility of Enrique and Tiotte leaving ? My guess is both these players would be first in the queue to sign extended contracts.

Secondly, no person turned their noses up when we signed the likes of Shearer, Ferdinand, Ginola, Woodgate, Speed, Dyer etc etc bleating on about the club heading towards administration.

I agree that if the 35m quid is invested in footballers the manager decides will give us a better team than the one we had with Carroll in it, it should prompt a re-think about Mike Ashley and his ambitions for the club, but it won't.

The waft of 80k per week was enough to tempt Carroll and if you think any signing would have convinced him to stay I would say you are wrong. As for Jose and Tiote, I said if they want to challenge for a title or play champions league, so Man U, Chelsea,City or Arsenal not to mention Spain,Italy etc. If any top clubs come in for ANY of our players then they will go if they want to and its up to Ashley to get a deal thats right for NUFC and to re invest it.

I wasnt bleating when we had those players but no one had any idea how fucked the clubs finances were on the back of it all

as for your final point, could I borrow your crystal ball please