Paolo Maldini to retire at end of season

Glasgow Mag

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7146949.stm

Should have gone after last season's Champions League victory in my opinion, as he has become increasingly a bit-part player for Milan in recent times.

Still one of the best players ever to have graced a football pitch, I started following football in 1990 but I hear him being talked of as a great player for about 5 years before that as he started young. Can't think of that many other players to have had such a prolonged career at the top level. Ryan Giggs is one of them, Teddy Sherringham too.

Best defender of my lifetime after Wor Franco Baresi.

Although some people can rightly claim Maldini to be the best due to his versatility, and the fact there was a time whatever position he played in the back 4, he was the best in the world in that particular position.

I don't agree with the retiring of shirts tbh, no man is bigger than the team.

They're not retiring AC milan

I didn't say they were.

I know it's just I don't think retiring a number implies a man is bigger than the team in any way

I don't agree with the retiring of shirts tbh, no man is bigger than the team.

They're not retiring AC milan

I didn't say they were.

I know it's just I don't think retiring a number implies a man is bigger than the team in any way

I feel it does; players come and go but the team remains. Retiring shirts casts a lasting shadow IMO. Plus, I think future players would be honoured to wear the shirt of someone so celebrated. Leaving it 'until' his son wears it stinks of nepotism IMO. Who knows if his son will become a footballer, or be any good?!

Who knows if his son will become a footballer, or be any good?!

No-one can but there is a fair chance considering.

The possibility

Milan plan to retire his number 3 shirt, but it will be bequeathed to one of his sons if he makes the club's senior side.[7][8] His eldest son, Christian, is 12 years old and is currently playing for the Milan youth squad.

The possibility

Milan plan to retire his number 3 shirt, but it will be bequeathed to one of his sons if he makes the club's senior side.[7][8] His eldest son, Christian, is 12 years old and is currently playing for the Milan youth squad.

Yeah I saw that. No guarentee that his son will be any more worthy to wear the shirt than anyone else though.

The possibility

Yeah I saw that. No guarentee that his son will be any more worthy to wear the shirt than anyone else though.

That's what they said when Paolo's father retired.

Plus when Paolo becomes manager he can do what Dogleash did to us and just play his son regardless.

I don't agree with the retiring of shirts tbh, ......................................

In the days when the shirts were numbered from 2 - 11 and the number defined a position it would have been unrealistic if not idiotic to retire a number but in todays game where the numbers don't seem to have any rhyme or reason I suppose there could be some merit in a club retiring a legend's number.

HOWEVER, after legends such as Gallagher, Milburn, Macdonald, Shearer, how in the world could Newcastle even think of retiring the famous No.9 shirt regardless of who wore it with distinction.

I don't agree with the retiring of shirts tbh, ......................................

In the days when the shirts were numbered from 2 - 11 and the number defined a position it would have been unrealistic if not idiotic to retire a number but in todays game where the numbers don't seem to have any rhyme or reason I suppose there could be some merit in a club retiring a legend's number.

HOWEVER, after legends such as Gallagher, Milburn, Macdonald, Shearer, how in the world could Newcastle even think of retiring the famous No.9 shirt regardless of who wore it with distinction.

You forgot Oba! :lol: