Jae-Jin Cho Signing

Tribal

United line up Korean

Dec 28 2007 by Paul Gilder, The Journal

SOUTH Korean international Cho Jae-jin is hoping to complete a transfer to Newcastle United next week after travelling to the North-East in an attempt to realise his Premier League dreams.

The Shimizu S-Pulse striker has come to Sam Allardyce’s attention and a manager seeking striking cover is understood to be considering adding the 26-year-old to his first-team squad.

St James’s Park officials have made no comment on the matter but Asian sources last night insisted that a deal is at an advanced stage.

Cho is believed to have arrived in the UK and The Journal understands that

the J-League favourite is scheduled to undergo a medical on Tyneside this morning.

Having resigned himself to losing Obafemi Martins for a significant period during the forthcoming African Nations Cup, Allardyce is keen to increase his striking options.

That he appears so keen to add Cho (pictured right) to his squad will raise questions about Shola Ameobi’s future at St James’s Park. The former England Under-21 international has not made a Premier League appearance since September 17 and is a target for Bolton Wanderers.

Should he complete Cho’s signing, Newcastle’s manager isn’t expected to oppose Ameobi’s sale as he attempts to raise funds for the further acquisitions he feels are required to ensure an improvement in fortune. Cho’s Japanese employers are resigned to losing their star forward having received several enquiries from European clubs.

The in-demand six-footer has rejected the chance to join FC Utrecht, having set his heart on continuing his career in the Premier League.

Fulham had been the favourites to land a player capped 55 times before Lawrie Sanchez’s sacking last week. West Ham have expressed an interest, but it appears St James’s Park is his preferred destination.

Kim Min-jae – the player’s agent – has confirmed that five Premier League clubs have expressed an interest in Cho. He has refused to confirm their identities, but is adamant a deal with one is nearing completion. “Everything will be said and done in the coming days,” he insisted. “There’s no chance that this is going to drag on.”

Charlton are also understood to have made their interest known, although sources in Seoul are adamant that Cho is bound for Newcastle. The striker is keen to join compatriots Lee Dong-Gook (Middlesbrough), Park Ji-Sung (Manchester United) and Seol Ki-Hyeon (Fulham) in the English top flight.

Cho has spent three years playing in the J-League, scoring 45 times in 101 appearances for S-Pulse, including 13 in 28 this season. He began his career at Suwon Bluewings in the Korean K-League and has also represented Gwangju Sangmu Phoenix, the South Korean Army team. He first came to prominence as a result of his performances during the 2004 Olympics in Athens. He also represented South Korea at last summer’s World Cup finals and at the Asia Cup in July this year.

It remains to be seen if Cho can complete his proposed move to the North-East as planned, although it seems as though an agreement has been reached with S-Pulse.

Having seen his side lose at Wigan this week, Allardyce’s position at St James’s Park continues to be called into question. But although the pressure continues to mount, the 53-year-old is pressing ahead with his recruitment plans and he appears keen to be ensure that he can make his signings as soon as possible, with the transfer window due to open in four days.

Someone on N-O reckons we're signing Modric. :lol:

http://www.index.hr/sport/clanak/suigraci-...tle/369394.aspx

from what i understand from the translation is he has not signed... NUFC has put in a bid for him but four other teams have also...

chelsea and manchester city are two of those other teams... the owner of man city has met with either the (team or player???)...

the price tag is also over 10 million...

i think... :huh:

Deal off now, hmm..

Cho Close To Newcastle Move

South Korea striker Cho Jae-jin is set for a move to the Magpies.

The former Shimizu S-Pulse striker, currently a free agent, has flown to England to complete his medical test at St James’ Park.

Upon the completion of his medical, Cho will then agree terms with Newcastle.

The 26-year-old recently saw out his contract with Shimizu. After the J-League season ended, contract talks between the player and the Japanese outfit broke down. The South Korean international failed to agree on a new deal with the club.

“Negotiation with a club which proposed a better deal failed, so he flew to England to complete an agreement with the club,” Cho's agent said.

According to reports in Korea, the ex-Suwon Bluewings player held discussions with four Premiership clubs, including Fulham, where national teammate Seol Ki-Hyun plays.

Cho, however, picked Newcastle in the end.

It will be the player’s first foray into Europe. Cho, who is half-Japanese, will have to compete for places upfront - with the likes Michael Owen, Mark Viduka, Obafemi Martins and Alan Smith ahead of him in the pecking order.

With Nigerian Martins playing the upcoming African Cup of Nations, there’s likelihood that Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce might give Cho some playing time.

Once his move to Newcastle is confirmed, he will be the fifth South Korean player playing in the Premiership.

Park Ji-sung (Manchester United), Seol Ki-Hyun (Fulham), Lee Young-Pyo (Tottenham) and Lee Dong-gook (Middlesbrough) are all plying their trade in English football.

Cho has been capped 29 times for his country, scoring eight goals.

I'm sure that somebody somewhere will build a case for someone like Modric [whoever the fuck he is] to be a step forward for the football club and try to tell us all that shopping in this market is superior to the old board attempting to genuinely compete with the other top clubs for the top quality footballers, like the old board did

Unless of course you're a complete thick cunt who thinks that buying people a pint in a pub is preferable marketing strategy

Edited by LeazesMag

I'm sure that somebody somewhere will build a case for someone like Modric [whoever the fuck he is] to be a step forward for the football club and try to tell us all that shopping in this market is superior to the old board attempting to genuinely compete with the other top clubs for the top quality footballers, like the old board did

Unless of course you're a complete thick cunt who thinks that buying people a pint in a pub is preferable marketing strategy

:lol:

Modric is one of the best young players in Europe.

We will see.

IF he picks us, and IF we stump up the money to beat off any rivals.

We will see.

IF he picks us, and IF we stump up the money to beat off any rivals.

I don't think for a second we will get him tbh.

No I agree with you Leazes I think it is much better to spunk away what money we have for a manager we might not employ after the next few weeks.

You're building a case against buying a player who, by your own admission, you have no clue about though aren't you?

Edited by alex

No I agree with you Leazes I think it is much better to spunk away what money we have for a manager we might not employ after the next few weeks.

Well, surely if they are "planning" to get rid of Allardyce, then they would do it before the deadline and have a new bloke in by then ?

Are you one of those who said "planning" guaranteed success, and if signings were "timed" at the beginning of the summer, then that led to guaranteed success too ?

Unless of course, the alternative to all of this is pleasing to you. Which is to continue to sit in the bottom half of the table, just so long as the business is in good order and we don't spunk money on "trophy" players who go to manu, Liverpool etc instead ?

Have you saw the thread where some people are saying that something is fundamentally wrong with the club ? As people like you thought it was Shepherd who do you think it is now ?

Can't wait until we match those Champions League qualifications, now that the cancer has gone and it should be so easy .....

You're building a case against buying a player who, by your own admission, you have no clue about though aren't you?

I think I have asked you "as only 4 clubs have qualified for europe more than us in the last decade, would you not agree that this means we got more things right than most " Which is all I have ever said about the old board, along with the obvious fact that improving them with better would be difficult and far from automatic.

Fact is that the old board attempted to bring quality players to the club, the new one has to prove they have the same ambition to do this. You won't match the top teams unless you have players that they themselves want.

Fact is that the old board attempted to bring quality players to the club, the new one has to prove they have the same ambition to do this. You won't match the top teams unless you have players that they themselves want.

And you can try all you like however if the current manager doesnt want said quality players or fails to impress these players enough then theres nowt the board can do. Unless you advocate the Shepherd method of spend ridiculous amounts more than the players worth just to ensure you get a big name? Now who did he do that with again? some bloke called Luque wasnt it? whatever happened to that fella? :lol:

I think I have asked you "as only 4 clubs have qualified for europe more than us in the last decade, would you not agree that this means we got more things right than most " Which is all I have ever said about the old board, along with the obvious fact that improving them with better would be difficult and far from automatic.

"Love will tear us apart again" click jump "Love will tear us apart again" click jump "Love will tear us apart again" click jump "Love will tear us apart again" click jump. Sorry I was just saying how another broken record sounds.

"Love will tear us apart again" click jump "Love will tear us apart again" click jump "Love will tear us apart again" click jump "Love will tear us apart again" click jump. Sorry I was just saying how another broken record sounds.

You could have at least chose a different track to repeat ffs!

You could have at least chose a different track to repeat ffs!

Sorry first one that came to mind