We had players such as

Bramble

Moore

Babayaro

Carr

Ramage

Taylor

Gooch (only played 7 or so)

Looking at these on paper you;d expect us to have a poor defensive record.

They finished the season conceding 20 at home and 27 away with a GD of -9. We kept 7 clean sheets in the league.

This season.

We ship out Bramble, Moore, Baba, Gooch and have barely seen Carr or Ramage. We bring in Beye who I think everyone will agree looks a great buy. Enrique who perhaps its a bit soon for yet. Cacapa, Feye & Roz who give us an improvement over what we had in skill and experience. I think most would agree that player for player we are better off.

We then bring in a manager known for his more defensive approach.

So, together with the improved defence and current style, how come we have gone backwards? We're half way through the season. Have already conceded 15 at home, only 5 away from last seasons total. We've conceded 14 away and still yet to go to Chelsea, Man Utd etc. Our GD is -3 and have kept 3 clean sheets. Against the same teams last season so far, we've conceded 12 more goals.

So, is it the players, or is it the tactics? Is it the midfield not protecting the defence or loosing the ball?

The players often look clueless. Like they dont what they should be doing or where they should be playing.

Running in circles half the time and playing hopeless balls to nobody and for some reason for the first few minutes at home the defence just dont turn up.

See Arsenal, Birmingham & Derby etc etc.

It almost leaves us expecting to concede and then start playing...

Last season

We had players such as

Bramble

Moore

Babayaro

Carr

Ramage

Taylor

Gooch (only played 7 or so)

Looking at these on paper you;d expect us to have a poor defensive record.

They finished the season conceding 20 at home and 27 away with a GD of -9. We kept 7 clean sheets in the league.

This season.

We ship out Bramble, Moore, Baba, Gooch and have barely seen Carr or Ramage. We bring in Beye who I think everyone will agree looks a great buy. Enrique who perhaps its a bit soon for yet. Cacapa, Feye & Roz who give us an improvement over what we had in skill and experience. I think most would agree that player for player we are better off.

We then bring in a manager known for his more defensive approach.

So, together with the improved defence and current style, how come we have gone backwards? We're half way through the season. Have already conceded 15 at home, only 5 away from last seasons total. We've conceded 14 away and still yet to go to Chelsea, Man Utd etc. Our GD is -3 and have kept 3 clean sheets. Against the same teams last season so far, we've conceded 12 more goals.

So, is it the players, or is it the tactics? Is it the midfield not protecting the defence or loosing the ball?

Plain and simple, we have no ability going forward or for some reason the fat clueless fuck wants the team not to attack so we continually turn over the ball in the midfield piling pressure on our defence who inevitably conceed goals.

Given at the beginning of the season must been elated that he would finally have a mobile defence infront of him, poor bastid look at how much work he has to do now.

The side is playing with absolutely no cohesion. Language barrier still maybe?

At times we still switch off mentally for a few seconds and we concede stupid goals. Our midfield has played with no authority and we are getting bossed by teams who are supposedly inferior to ours.

Pressure inevitably leads to us conceding goals.

Edited by Ken

Individually, Cacapa and Beye are 2 of the best defenders we have had for years. Taylor is coming on well and if BS would actually put some trust in enrique i reckon we could have a pretty stable back 4. At the minute hes chopping and changin every weeks o no-one can get used to each other.

I thought Rozenthal started brightly but his game appears to have gone to shit. Beye on the other hand I thought looked shaky first few games but now looks superb imo. I also thought Enrique was looking the part but we haven't seen him in a fair few weeks. I still think Cacapa was an excellent signing, and one bad game does not make him shit, despite what the cockney press want to tell the world about him. As for Taylor, I've never been totally convinced by him and still aren't.

Barring when Smith plays up front we are lacking really any of the old windscreen wiper type players, I'm always of the belief that defending starts from the front.

Barring when Smith plays up front we are lacking really any of the old windscreen wiper type players, I'm always of the belief that defending starts from the front.

Good point. Also, the defence never gets a chance to properly clear their lines if the ball keeps coming back so quickly because the midfield can't retain possession. The chopping and changing doesn't help either. I'd like to see Beye, Cacapa, Feye and Enrique given a few games in a row. I don't think a Cacapa-Rozenthal or a Faye-Taylor partnership works as well because their attributes are too similar: you need one reader-of-the game type and one head/kick/tackle anything that comes near brick shithouse ideally.

I agree there is no real force up front and enrique should be given more chance for the price we payed for him

Don't you respect the way Allardyce is sticking with his plan for Enrique? He's given the 21 year old a taste of what it's like in the premier league with five or so starts, shown him how fast it is and how a couple of wobbles can spell disaster. Then he's completely withdrawn him to concentrate on integrating with the squad and the area rather than pushing him to show that he can cope immediately. Lesser managers have ruined expensive signings at Newcastle by forcing the issue with them and not seeing their obvious potential reached. Under the pressure he's had, for Allardyce to stick to his guns for the good of the player and the good of the club rather than risking him and giving in to the fans to loosen the noose round his own neck earns my respect. Another expensive flop is the last thing we want.

None of us can know if he's ready, Allardyce watches him in training every day and until he can keep up with Viduka and Owen or unbalance Martins he won't have a hope against other teams' strike forces.

Edited by Happy Face

Im not concerned about Enrique. I liked what I seen of him but he is young and has plenty of time. If he isnt ready, which I wouldnt have a clue about having only seen him a few times and never in training, then I would like to see us bring in another LB and push Zog back to LM.

I agree there is no real force up front and enrique should be given more chance for the price we payed for him

Don't you respect the way Allardyce is sticking with his plan for Enrique? He's given the 21 year old a taste of what it's like in the premier league with five or so starts, shown him how fast it is and how a couple of wobbles can spell disaster. Then he's completely withdrawn him to concentrate on integrating with the squad and the area rather than pushing him to show that he can cope immediately. Lesser managers have ruined expensive signings at Newcastle by forcing the issue with them and not seeing their obvious potential reached. Under the pressure he's had, for Allardyce to stick to his guns for the good of the player and the good of the club rather than risking him and giving in to the fans to loosen the noose round his own neck earns my respect. Another expensive flop is the last thing we want.

None of us can know if he's ready, Allardyce watches him in training every day and until he can keep up with Viduka and Owen or unbalance Martins he won't have a hope against other teams' strike forces.

Another angle on this could be that you're giving BS far too much respect and what has really happened is he just doesn't think Enrique is up to the job and the moneys been wasted, another expensive flop and he knows if he plays him the noose will be a round his neck for signing shite.

Just a thought :good:

Another angle on this could be that you're giving BS far too much respect and what has really happened is he just doesn't think Enrique is up to the job and the moneys been wasted, another expensive flop and he knows if he plays him the noose will be a round his neck for signing shite.

Just a thought :good:

I suppose we'll find out if we sign a left back during the transfer window.

I'm hoping he could keep up with that fat lazy shite prior to joining us... if not it's hopeless

Being out of the side for a few months hasnºt done Curtis Davies any harm at all. Iºd like to see him get a chance sooner rather than later and despite my dislike of the fat man he must be holding him back for a reason.

• 4 years later...

Was the goal from the corner against Norwich?

Sounds like it....

39 mins Amid strong protests, City's Surman took a disputed corner and Andrew Crofts' header was eventually deflected into the net off Wes Hoolahan as Simpson attempted to clear. 0-1

http://nufc.com/2011...0norwich-a.html

In fact, Probably half of those goals from the flanks came in that game.

Edited by Happy Face

At the start of the season we had once of the best though. What was pointed out was how well we held our line and quick we reacted. I can only think either the change in personnel (Taylor etc) or play style from the manager has effected this. Or of course the amount of protection being given by the midfield.

At the start of the season we had once of the best though. What was pointed out was how well we held our line and quick we reacted. I can only think either the change in personnel (Taylor etc) or play style from the manager has effected this. Or of course the amount of protection being given by the midfield.

See the Taylor thread for confirmation of that. He's still headed more clearances and more succesful clearances than all our defenders, in just half of the games this season.

Here's the assistas and goals conceded with Taylor playing...

GOALS-SAYLOR-PLAYED-1024x648.jpg

Much less assists from within the box

He was doing well and is evidently a big miss for the team.

If anything it underlines the glaringly obvious fact that we need a 1st team centre back brought in as Taylor has had his fitness problems over recent seasons.

Disappointed for Willo that he just hasn't been able to step up but the reality is if he's getting regular starts at the moment then there's a problem with the strength in depth of our defence.