Newcastle and Aston Villa in fight for Defoe

Jimbo

Newcastle United's new manager Kevin Keegan is at the centre of a £10 million tug of war with Aston Villa for the services of Jermain Defoe, Tottenham Hotspur's unsettled striker.

Defoe, 25, has fallen down the pecking order of forwards at White Hart Lane in recent seasons, a process that has accelerated with the arrival of Spanish head coach Juande Ramos as replacement for Martin Jol earlier in the season, so much so that the dimunutive front man has now been told that he can leave the club during the present transfer window.

And Keegan, who has apparently been given a war chest of £25m to spend in the January transfer window by Newcastle owner Mike Ashley, has made Defoe his No 1 transfer target in the hope that he can form a lethal striking partnership at St James' Park with fellow England international Michael Owen.

One stumbling block, though, to his plans is Villa's reported interest in Defoe, with manager Martin O'Neill said to have already held preliminary talks with the player.

A Villa spokesman, however, could "neither confirm nor deny" any stories currently circulating about Defoe and his future, but with doubts at Villa Park continuing over the fitness of John Carew, the form of Marlon Harewood and the contractual plans of Luke Moore, O'Neill is said to be keen to tie up a deal for a striker as soon as possible, with Defoe top of his wish list.

Can't say I rate Defoe.

Don't mock Keegan's transfer targets.

I'll fucking do what I want.

Typical NUFC supporter. Mock the manager and his targets and he's only been in charge for around a day.

Scum.

I quite like Defoe. I'm not sure his temperament is the best there is, but now we have a manager who would manage him and play to his strengths ........

Bellamy is an angel, of course. Bite you fucker!

Edited by Tribal

I quite like Defoe. I'm not sure his temperament is the best there is, but now we have a manager who would manage him and play to his strengths ........

Bellamy is an angel, of course. Bite you fucker!

of course. Thats exactly what I meant. I'd have him so long as he performs.

Just like Barton?

There's no manager ever been born who can manage every player there's ever been, Keegan found Barton and made him what he is. Thats what I mean. Whether or not he wants to do it again, only he knows. I doubt he will do anything that doesn't put the club first though.

Anyway, Craig Bellamy isn't in the same street as Barton, but not too many players are.

Just like Barton?

There's no manager ever been born who can manage every player there's ever been, Keegan found Barton and made him what he is. Thats what I mean. Whether or not he wants to do it again, only he knows. I doubt he will do anything that doesn't put the club first though.

Anyway, Craig Bellamy isn't in the same street as Barton, but not too many players are.

A drug-taking thug?

i would happily have defoe and get shut of Martins.

If we're talking blank cheques but with an eye to players who ARE gettable I'd get shot of Martins and Owen and get Defoe and Karim Benzema (or however you spell it) in.

If we're talking blank cheques but with an eye to players who ARE gettable I'd get shot of Martins and Owen and get Defoe and Karim Benzema (or however you spell it) in.

:icon_lol:

:icon_lol:

Where is he Lyon?

French clubs are pretty piss poor at holding onto players...It will be impossible once he goes to Italy is my point. B)

Edited by Parky