Shearer for Southampton ?

Jimbo

According the BBC, Southampton manager, George Burley is to be offered the vacant Scottish managers job, could this lead the way for Shearer to go back to his old club to begin his managerial career ???

According the BBC, Southampton manager, George Burley is to be offered the vacant Scottish managers job, could this lead the way for Shearer to go back to his old club to begin his managerial career ???

Billy Davies IYAM.

Shearer is only going to give up his tv punditry - if you could call it that - for a big job with plenty of money to spend. FWIW I think he would be great as a no 2 here, whether Keegan offers him that role, and he wants it is a different matter.

Question is, who wears the trousers in Shearers house?

If he isn't prepared to follow the jobs around like every other manager, then why do his badges?

They might come in handy when he gets the Newcastle job. Eventually.

If he isn't prepared to follow the jobs around like every other manager, then why do his badges?

Alan wears the trousers, but Lainya sews the badges onto them, so it's stalemate basically.

Doubtfull. One season of practical experience would outweigh anything he might have learnt off Trevor Brooking at summer camp.

Doubtfull. One season of practical experience would outweigh anything he might have learnt off Trevor Brooking at summer camp.

Doing well with a small club didn't mean much when Allardyce came here did it?

Doing well with a small club didn't mean much when Allardyce came here did it?

True but that carries about as much logic as saying "Shearer doesn't need experience, look at Keegan". Agree with Wacky btw.

• 3 weeks later...

Alan Shearer has ruled himself out of the running to become the next manager of Southampton.

The former Saints favourite has been linked with a return to the South Coast, to re-join the club in a managerial capacity.

Shearer was strongly linked with the Newcastle job prior to Kevin Keegan's appointment, but has since failed to agree a role with the St James' Park outfit.

His availability is said to have alerted Southampton, but Shearer has been quick to distance himself from any such reports.

Too busy

"I've got too many things on my plate at the moment," he told Radio Solent.

"I've got my BBC commitments and my charity work. I'm also working on getting my Uefa Pro license.

"I'm going to be very busy for the next six or seven months.

"I've heard nothing from Southampton. I know Jason Dodd and John Gorman have been put in charge and I wish them all the best.

"I was with Jason both as an apprentice and as a player. I gather the club's search goes on and I wish them well with that."

If he ever wants to get the Newcastle job he's going to have to get his hands dirty at a smaller club and Southampton wouldn't be a bad start for him.

Though he'd clearly be much more comfortable sitting in the MOTD studio it seems.

Kevin Keegan wants Alan Shearer to take more of a directly active role at Newcastle in the wake of his assistant Nigel Pearson's resignation.

The loss of Pearson, a respected coach inherited by Keegan from Sam Allardyce's tenure at the club, is a major blow for the Newcastle manager though he is confident of convincing Shearer to widen his role beyond taking an occasional training session.

Last weekend's 4-1 drubbing at the hands of Aston Villa meant Keegan is winless in five games since commencing his second spell in charge. The task of motivating and reorganising a collection of players low of quality and confidence has proved more difficult than many had thought when Keegan was the surprise choice to succeed Allardyce amid fanfare and euphoria amongst Newcastle's fans and Keegan could use all the help he can get.

"I've definitely not given up on it," said Keegan of bringing Shearer to the club full-time.

"What we have agreed is that he is going to come in training with us to start off with and then we are going to revisit it later when the commitments that he's made to other people are no longer in place.

"The door is left absolutely wide open. It's up to Alan and me to come up with the right solution for him coming in here. I've left the door wide open because I respect him and know he would bring something to the party.

"He's now got a bit of time to think about it and he will think about it deeply. As he always has done in his life, he will come up with the right decision.

"I've definitely not given up on it and Alan's not said anything to my knowledge that suggests he doesn't want to do it. I think deep down he does."